MJ recording other artists songs (Beatles etc)

mnwlkr

Proud Member
Hi guys, something I think about from time to time re MJ is whether he recorded himself singing any other artists songs that he liked like The Beatles etc?

I hear so many songs out there that I think "geez, if MJ had sung this song how would it have sounded" or "MJ would have sung this so much better". For example, this morning in my car on the way to work I heard "I Believe" by Marcella Detroit and I imagined MJ singing, would have been an even bigger hit imo.

Do any of you think/feel the same or is it just me?

We had a good thread like this that was "songs that sound like they should be a Michael song"-or in other words, songs we wish Michael had recorded. :) We should bump that up too.

If you mean songs that he actually sang to himself-how about "Riders in the Storm" in the Dangerous rehearsals or "Walk on By" by Burt Bacharach here?

Of course, the Jackson 5 really did this song with the Isaac Hayes arrangement-still can't believe this is the same song.

For The Good Times

This song was written and released by country singer Kris Kristofferson in 1970. But the song was first released as a B-side by Bill Nash. Al Green had a well known version too.

There is a rumour that he recorded Hot Fun in the Summertime by Sly and The Family Stone. Not sure if it is true. If true I'd like to hear it one day. I like the song.

Where about is this?
I'll go over to YouTube and see if I can find it.

Edit to add: Here it is: 2:22 He tells them to hit him with the fans-"violent winds" and then sings a snippet. I just love that even stage direction reminds him of songs.

I Love Michael's version of the Disney medley
What Disney medley? Are you talking about the Disney 25 special?

Last edited:
What Disney medley? Are you talking about the Disney 25 special?

Yes! The one when he sings When You Wish Upon a Star. A very lovely rendition. The way he sings "As dreamers do" I love that part. Sorry btw the only disney song was Wish upon a star.

[youtube]v-S0I_yO9to[/youtube]

Come together is so much better than the original, and the best version I've ever heard of anyone who has recorded it
Everything they did in the Jackson 5 days that were other peoples songs

Last edited:
For years Ive always invisioned Michael doing his redition of
VIVA LAS VEGAS... can you imagine...??

With A Child's Heart

This was originally released by Stevie Wonder

Doobie Brothers

According to an interview by Patrick Simmons of the Doobies, Mike never sang on any of their recordings, but did sometimes show up at the studio and that they have performed together live.

Michael singing the first lines of "I'm So Glad We Have This Time Together" from the Carol Burnett Show.

Skip to 6:49 min.

I Shot The Sherriff

This was originally by Bob Marley & The Wailers, but Eric Clapton made it a hit in the US

10 seconds in, you can watch Michael singing a snippet of The Beatles' She's Leaving Home to himself.

There is a rumour that he recorded Hot Fun in the Summertime by Sly and The Family Stone. Not sure if it is true. If true I'd like to hear it one day. I like the song.

Yeah wasnt this supposedly very close to being included on the Xscape release?

It came up in rumours that it would be on the album.

I think I remember reading that a guitarist, or vocalist on the song was pretty annoyed it was dropped. I'm sure if I searched I'd find the thread

Back