Tavis Smiley new book of Michael

Bubs

Proud Member
New Scripted TV Projects on Maya Angelou & Michael Jackson’s Last Days in the Works via Tavis Smiley

Warner Bros. Television Group has signed an exclusive multi-year development and production deal with Tavis Smiley, it was announced today by Warner Bros. Television Group President and Chief Content Officer Peter Roth. Under terms of the agreement, WBTVG and Smiley will develop new scripted television series projects for the broadcast networks and cable.

The first projects to be developed under the new deal will be television series adaptations of two of Smiley’s books: "My Journey with Maya," a memoir of the author’s nearly 30-year friendship with Maya Angelou, and the upcoming "Before You Judge Me: The Triumph and Tragedy of Michael Jackson’s Last Days," an account of the final 16 weeks in the life of superstar Michael Jackson, to be published in June 2016.

The deal between WBTVG and Smiley continues an association that was established earlier this year when Warner Bros. Television acquired the television rights to Smiley’s book "Death of a King: The Real Story of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.’s Final Year," which is being developed as an event series with J.J. Abrams’ Bad Robot Productions.

Published in April 2015, "My Journey with Maya" is a story of friendship, love and courage, in which Smiley shares personal memories of his 28-year friendship with poet, historian, filmmaker and civil rights activist Angelou. In addition to the TV project, Smiley and director Kenny Leon are developing "My Journey with Maya" as a stage play.

Smiley’s next book, "Before You Judge Me: The Triumph and Tragedy of Michael Jackson’s Last Days," will be published in June 2016 and is described as a taut rendering of the final months in the life of Jackson. The book will examine the soaring highs and deep lows faced by the late pop star.

"My Journey with Maya," "Before You Judge Me" and "Death of a King" are all published by Little, Brown and Company, and written by Tavis Smiley with David Ritz.

Smiley’s TV projects will be produced through his The Smiley Group, Inc. in association with Warner Bros. Television or Warner Horizon Television, with Warner Bros. Worldwide Television Distribution handling global sales.

http://blogs.indiewire.com/shadowan...t-days-in-the-works-via-tavis-smiley-20151015

and more new books coming

Making Michael: Inside the Career of Michael Jackson

Insightful and revealing biography of music icon’s incredible career — from the early studio sessions to his anguished final days — featuring exclusive interviews with Jackson’s closest collaborators, and a foreword by long-time friend, Matt Forger.

For decades, Michael Jackson reigned supreme as the undisputed King of Pop; dominating the charts with his groundbreaking music, winning fans and creating headlines around the world. The sheer magnitude of Jackson’s fame has, however, overshadowed his achievements as an artist. As he matured from child Motown marvel to eccentric megastar, his unconventional personal life — and a series of controversial exploits — would mar his reputation. But will the music stand the test of time? Journalist Mike Smallcombe peels away the tabloid rumours to explore an incomparable body of work in Making Michael: Inside the Career of Michael Jackson, a comprehensive biography of one of the most popular and enigmatic entertainers of our time.

Every note of Jackson’s remarkable 45-year career is reproduced; from touring with the Jackson Five, through the world-conquering 1980s, to winning more American Music Awards than any artist in history. From the recording of Off the Wall in 1979, his first studio album as an adult, to his Hollywood box-office failures, through to the preparations for his final 2009 tour, This Is It, and his life at Neverland Ranch. Making Michael: Inside the Career of Michael Jackson details every twist and turn, every triumph and every tragedy, as it happened, supported by the people who shared the journey with him. Exclusive anecdotes transport readers into the studio, revealing the multi-talented Jackson at his best; and at his worst, relentlessly pursuing perfection and struggling with addiction.

Making Michael: Inside the Career of Michael Jackson is a true labour of love, the product of over five years of exhaustive research into Jackson’s career, his achievements and his professional relationships. Drawing upon hundreds of individual sources, including exclusive interviews with managers, producers and other musicians who worked closely with Jackson throughout his career, many of whom are speaking of their experiences for the first time, Mike Smallcombe paints a vivid portrait of a man who made making music his life’s work, at any personal cost. A must-read for fans of music, and fans of Michael.

About the author: Mike Smallcombe studied English Language at the University of Exeter before moving to London where he trained as a journalist with the Press Association. He lives in Cornwall. Making Michael: Inside the Career of Michael Jackson by Mike Smallcombe (published 16th Octobber by Clink Street Publishing) will be available to purchse from online retailers including amazon.co.uk and to order from all good bookstores. Follow Mike on Twitter @mikesmallcombe1.

http://musicvita.com/making-michael-inside-the-career-of-michael-jackson/

--------------------------------
From authors website:
http://www.makingmichael.co.uk

Snippets:
http://www.makingmichael.co.uk/#!blog/adb5m

Great, another factually incorrect doc that people will come up to me after spouting utter bull shtick thinking they know everything about the guy.

none of these books explain or will ever explain what really happened to Michael Jackson over time......they will not touch it....but I did come across one and I know it would never be received favorably.....and thats why we keep getting these empty books

CRYKw-pUkAAWoTC.png

Tavis talking about the book & Michael

Bubs;4111691 said:
and more new books coming

Making Michael: Inside the Career of Michael Jackson

Insightful and revealing biography of music icon’s incredible career — from the early studio sessions to his anguished final days — featuring exclusive interviews with Jackson’s closest collaborators, and a foreword by long-time friend, Matt Forger.

http://musicvita.com/making-michael-inside-the-career-of-michael-jackson/

0b6234_68846f9b52004abf9ee2b36393142a19.png_srz_p_443_674_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_png_srz

beautiful cover

Bubs;4111691 said:
Insightful and revealing biography of music icon’s incredible career — from the early studio sessions to his anguished final days — featuring exclusive interviews with Jackson’s closest collaborators, and a foreword by long-time friend, Matt Forger. Journalist Mike Smallcombe peels away the tabloid rumours to explore an incomparable body of work in Making Michael: Inside the Career of Michael Jackson, a comprehensive biography of one of the most popular and enigmatic entertainers of our time. Every note of Jackson’s remarkable 45-year career is reproduced; from touring with the Jackson Five, through the world-conquering 1980s, to winning more American Music Awards than any artist in history.

This looked really promising at first glance. A book that actually wants to write about his music and incredible career? Too good to be true?

Bubs;4111691 said:
Inside the Career of Michael Jackson details every twist and turn, every triumph and every tragedy, as it happened, supported by the people who shared the journey with him. Exclusive anecdotes transport readers into the studio, revealing the multi-talented Jackson at his best; and at his worst, relentlessly pursuing perfection and struggling with addiction.

Oh, wait, there it is.

I don't get why people can't write a book just based on his professional career? Joe Vogel did it and his book is one of the most successful (if not the most successful) post 2009 books written? Not to mention that it's praised by fans, critics, and the Estate.

^^I just grimaced at this whole thing especially Tavis making a TV SERIES about the last days. Just awful, IMO.

And then another book? Especially from a British journalist? Come on. (No offense, British fans).

BUT I just finished reading the excerpts and I don't know if he's being real careful with what he's releasing but so far it's real accurate.
I'll withhold judgement right now because of that. The little he gave us was surprisingly well written, interesting and entertaining.

Interesting story about the car breaking down (from Nelson's view) when Michael was writing Billie Jean. And also interesting how Bone kicked the McCartney's off his property after they settled in to film "Say, Say, Say." Doesn't say why in the excerpt. I've never heard that before-always thought they had stayed there.

I haven't read any of the last 10 or 12 except Vogel's and Todd Gold's. So I'll wait and see.

And why haven't we heard about this book yet? Or am I the only one? Has it had any publicity at all? I don't remember any threads about it.

Last edited:
Cant the estate freaking do something bout these stupid fake authors releasing their BS bout mj

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!!!!

Cant the estate freaking do something bout these stupid fake authors releasing their BS bout mj

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!!!!

I don't think there's much they can do, apart from refuse to license any footage or music that is owned by them. That's why these documentaries always show paparazzi or news footage with cheap music that sounds a tiny bit like Billie Jean, instead of official footage and MJ's actual music.

As for the shit they go on about, even if it's not true I don't believe you can sue someone for slandering a dead person. I'm not a lawyer but thats I've heard a few times on here before.

On top of that, if the Estate were to call out any documentary, all it could possibly do is draw more attention to it... which is the last thing we want. It's called the Barbra Streisand effect.

As for the shit they go on about, even if it's not true I don't believe you can sue someone for slandering a dead person. I'm not a lawyer but thats I've heard a few times on here before.

On top of that, if the Estate were to call out any documentary, all it could possibly do is draw more attention to it... which is the last thing we want. It's called the Barbra Streisand effect.
I've often heard Michael saying he didn't address rumors or bad press because 'why bring attention to it' and that goes way back. He always rose above it.
What's the Barbra Streisand effect?!

Tavis Smiley Book on Michael Jackson’s Final Days to Become TV Series

Television host, journalist and author Tavis Smiley has inked a multi-year deal with Warner Bros. Television Group to develop projects for the small screen, including a deal to adapt his yet-to-be-published book on the last days of Michael Jackson, into a series.

Smiley’s book, Before You Judge Me: The Triumph and Tragedy of Michael Jackson’s Last Days, is slated to be published in June of 2016. It chronicles the last 16 weeks of Jackson’s life before he died of acute drug intoxication in 2009.

Before You Judge Me is described as “a taut novelistic rendering of the final months in the life of the iconic pop star, chronicling his constant hunt for privacy in a life that was more public than almost any other, and the pressures he endured as someone whose fame made him socially fragile and almost unable to live.”

In addition to his Michael Jackson project, another of Smiley’s books, My Journey With Maya, a memoir of the author’s 28-year friendship with renowned American poet Maya Angelou, is also included in the TV development deal. An adaptation of that book, which was published in April of 2015, is also in the works as a stage play, developed by Smiley and Tony-winning director Kenny Leon (A Raisin In The Sun).

Stay tuned for more on the development of Tavis Smiley’s Michael Jackson and Maya Angelou TV projects.

http://www.fevatv.com/tavis-smiley-book-on-michael-jacksons-final-days-to-become-tv-series/

Didn't both Court cases teach us already about Michael's last 16 weeks of his life? So am I to understand that new revelation's will be revealed through the infamous Tavis Smiley. It kind of reminds you of Donald Trump running for President. I didn't see that one coming!

I've often heard Michael saying he didn't address rumors or bad press because 'why bring attention to it' and that goes way back. He always rose above it.
What's the Barbra Streisand effect?!

Was MJ perfect, was he an angel?

AliCat;4111938 said:
Tavis Smiley Book on Michael Jackson’s Final Days to Become TV Series

Didn't both Court cases teach us already about Michael's last 16 weeks of his life? So am I to understand that new revelation's will be revealed through the infamous Tavis Smiley. It kind of reminds you of Donald Trump running for President. I didn't see that one coming!
I really absolutely don't get this either. I know when this first started, several people came to Tavis' defense and said he was a great writer-but I don't really don't understand why he woud write about this time period.
He's a talk show host, political pundit and social activist-and I've seen some of the Michael forums he has had on YouTube-so why wouldn't the book be about Michael's influence on both the political and social changes in the US? Far more interesting.

Want to know about the last days? Yes, re-watch the trial.

Psychoniff;4111966 said:
Was MJ perfect, was he an angel?

Not that I know of. Is he supposed to be? What does that have to do with my questioning what the "Barbra Streisand effect" is?

The Streisand effect is "the phenomenon whereby an attempt to hide, remove, or censor a piece of information has the unintended consequence of publicizing the information more widely, usually facilitated by the Internet."

Barbra tried to stop photos of her Malibu house but it actually drew more interest in it.

As far as I know Tavis Smiley never gave two shits about Michael Jackson while alive so now he wants to write about him? Oh yeah, money, money, money!

I suppose Conrad Murray will be approached to take part in this.

As far as I know Tavis Smiley never gave two shits about Michael Jackson while alive so now he wants to write about him? Oh yeah, money, money, money!

I suppose Conrad Murray will be approached to take part in this.

although I agree that there is no benefit in this project

Michael Jackson was exploited a very long time ago because he was not allowed to exist in this world as he was mean to

<section id="productDetail" class="clearer-strict content-shadow" style="box-sizing: border-box; font-family: PTSans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); padding-bottom: 20px; width: 964px; position: relative; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-size: 14px; display: table !important; content: '' !important; clear: both !important;"><section id="prodImage" style="box-sizing: border-box; float: left; position: relative; width: 192px;"><section class="prim-image" style="box-sizing: border-box; position: relative; text-align: right;">
0000000000000_p0_v0_s192x300.jpg
</section></section><section id="prodSummary" style="box-sizing: border-box; float: left; margin: 0px 24px; width: 468px;">[h=1]Before You Judge Me: The Triumph and Tragedy of Michael Jackson's Last Days[/h]by Tavis Smiley, David Ritz

View All Available Formats & Editions
Overview

A powerful chronicle of the sixteen weeks leading up to King of Pop Michael Jackson's death

Michael Jackson's final months were like the rest of his short and legendary life: filled with deep lows and soaring highs, a constant hunt for privacy, and the pressure and fame that made him socially fragile and almost&#8212;ultimately&#8212;unable to live.

With the insight and compassion that he brought to his bestselling telling of Martin Luther King, Jr.'s final year, Tavis Smiley provides a glimpse into the superstar's life in this emotional, honest, yet celebratory book. Readers will witness Jackson's campaign to recharge his career&#8212;hiring and firing managers and advisors, turning to and away from family members, fighting depression and drug dependency&#8212;while his one goal remained: to mount the most spectacular series of shows the world had ever seen. BEFORE YOU JUDGE ME is a humanizing look at Jackson's last days.

Product Details
ISBN-13: 9780316259095
Publisher: Little, Brown and Company
Publication date:06/21/2016
Pages: 304

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/bef.../1122758383?ean=9780316259095#productInfoTabs

</section></section>

Wish more documentaries of Michael would be released showing some new footage of him , we have soo many books already.

The reason these books rehashing the same themes is because nobody given the platform to speak on it is because to discuss the absolute truth of what really happened to Michael Jackson the world is not prepared or willing to acknowledge. The moment that changes, we'll get the book that will speak on it

^Is that the actual cover?

As far as books go, I really hope they publish the book Frank Dileo was working on at the time of his death. I wouldn't mind reading that as long as they present his original work without add-ons and embellishments now that he's no longer here.

^Is that the actual cover?

As far as books go, I really hope they publish the book Frank Dileo was working on at the time of his death. I wouldn't mind reading that as long as they present his original work without add-ons and embellishments now that he's no longer here.

I would have loved to read it too, only it was never finished and his daughter said she was going to finish the book based of the notes he had left behind, so that sounds like ad-ons to me?

I would have loved to read it too, only it was never finished and his daughter said she was going to finish the book based of the notes he had left behind, so that sounds like ad-ons to me?
Maybe we can trust his daughter to do it right (I'd love to read it also) instead of a ghost writer who makes up stuff.

Back