John Textor: possible‘Michael Jackson’hologram concert next year

mkgenie

Proud Member
By Yang Meiping
http://www.shanghaidaily.com/metro/...re/Michael-Jackson-gig-on-cards/shdaily.shtml

ONCE dubbed the “King of Pop,” the late Michael Jackson might next year perform in Shanghai, albeit in hologram form, the head of a US-based production company said yesterday.

Speaking at a forum to mark the opening of this year’s Shanghai International Arts Festival, John Textor, chairman of Pulse Evolution, said the show would be 90 minutes of music and dance featuring the superstar who died in 2009 after four decades as one of the world’s best-loved and most successful performers.

The digital show would be directed by Jamie King, who was a key figure in several of Jackson’s tours before his death, Textor said.

The event would not be a world first, however. In 2014, the Jackson hologram performed “Slave to the Rhythm” — a song that became a posthumous hit — at the Billboard Music Awards.

The beauty of holograms is that they allow fans to reconnect with performers they would otherwise never be able to see, Textor said.

“What was wonderful about the (Billboard) show was that when I looked at the audience I saw people crying,” he said.

“They were making a connection with Michael Jackson ... nobody was wondering about the technology behind it,” he said.

Textor said he is currently looking for a local partner to help make the Shanghai show a reality.

“Michael is still really popular in China, so I think there would be a huge market for a digital show,” the manager of a local production company told Shanghai Daily.

NOTE:
I have also asked the Estate online team. They said the news is "not true".

Then, I emailed John Textor himself for comments, he said it is "partially true" and they are evaluating locations and partners.

F.Y.I.

mkgenie;4111862 said:
“Michael is still really popular in China, so I think there would be a huge market for a digital show,” the manager of a local production company told Shanghai Daily.

I thought Michael is "still" popular everywhere, not just in China:scratch:

No hologram would be the same thing as the real thing...sigh :(

and If the hologram will be anything like billboard awards no thanks

mkgenie;4111862 said:
ONCE dubbed the “King of Pop,”

MJEww.gif

Oh shit no!

That hologram looked nothing like MJ.
I can't stand impersonators anyway they are invariably horrible and only remind me how much better the real thing was.

The Estate should do something like Immortal was a world tour with artists who do justice to his music.

No, the people in the audience were crying because what they were seeing in no way shape or form resembled or exuded the essence of one Michael Jackson.

This hologram idea sucks.

I really can't imagine anyone paying good money and going to a theatre to see a hologram. I really can't. Not when watching a film is just as good or better. I think that Billie Holiday or Whitney Houston one are the first ones to do an actual show-I'd like to see what the real response is.

I don't think they'll get the audience they expect.

I'm glad I'm not the only who was offended by that 'hologram'. They need to stop the gimmicks, we're slowing turning our idol into a damn cartoon character!

The Earnest Valentino video projection tour. No thanks.

JUST when I'd forgotten about the Slave to the Rhythm impersonagram.....

John Textor
?@JohnTextor
@MJJCommunity Hi_Sorry to disappoint but we made no announcement_Reporter had it wrong. We talked MJ, but announced Elvis_Stay tuned for MJ

I'm glad people seem to have turned on the idea of a hologram. It's a cheap impersonation. The real MJ is gone, this is in no way worth seeing.

No thanks. If the Slave To The Rhythm hollosham is anything to go by this idea sounds horrendous.

I'm not fully against a hologram concert. This keeps the King's legacy alive, guys... Don't forget that.
But... They can'tttttt use the hologram from the Billboard show. That doesn't look like Michael at all.

We, fans, can be very demanding and very annoying. You guys, there will never be a new MJ nor will someone replace him. That's clear. So won't a hologram. But this hologram is there to remind people there is one King in the music industry. And that's Mike. The general public keep forgetting about Mike, so that's why a hologram concert could do good.

I'd wait to see what he looks like before I judge. This technology is rapidly improving every year so I do not think we'd get what we saw at the 2014 Billboard Awards.

Oh shit no!

That hologram looked nothing like MJ.
I can't stand impersonators anyway they are invariably horrible and only remind me how much better the real thing was.

The Estate should do something like Immortal was a world tour with artists who do justice to his music.
Right on! I've never liked impersonators either. Eww...

In 2014 Billboard Awards Estate was very cheap as always. I'm absolutely against that. But if they invest money and make something impressive like Arnold Schwarzenegger "hologram" in new Terminator Genisys movie, then I'm for it. It's all about the money you are willing to spend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKlbaU_uWpI

Maybe you guys aren't ready for the technology yet
Maybe it seemed too much for some of you
I sincerely loved the exciting concept fascinating tbh

And op are right, technology is changing all the time
it's one pretty exciting thread to be honest
keep it alive

What if sonny brought A CGI Michael to a dub step concert, to an EDM generation? would that work?
its all about the generations and the now, and there's so much you can do with technology CGI /VMJ meet EDM?
Dont go too hard on me since I brought that up, and I'm sorry for the triple posting
just thoughts ..

Maybe you guys aren't ready for the technology yet
Maybe it seemed too much for some of you
I sincerely loved the exciting concept fascinating tbh

Well, no matter how exciting the technology is I am not hyped for watching a "hologram" of an impersonator. That doesn't do anything for me when I am used to watching the real thing.

Well, no matter how exciting the technology is I am not hyped for watching a "hologram" of an impersonator. That doesn't do anything for me when I am used to watching the real thing.
Exactly. You can pay 5 bucks and go to a fan party and get the same thing, only then live. The only thing you'll miss out on is the bad CGI.

The real thing is gone. CGI impersonator is bad. But look what they did for Schwarzenegger. Of course they needed a stand in to act, but they replaced digitally every line of his body, every muscle, every hair, every move. So it's not impersonator anymore it's 100% CGI character.

The real thing is gone. CGI impersonator is bad. But look what they did for Schwarzenegger. Of course they needed a stand in to act, but they replaced digitally every line of his body, every muscle, every hair, every move. So it's not impersonator anymore it's 100% CGI character.
But they still had the real Arnold to make the facial expressions for the digital Arnold, etc. A major reason digital Arnold looked so good was because of that.

The big difference for me is that Arnold was on board with this. MJ can't make that choice anymore. Even if they were able to create a very good hologram (which I don't see them doing any time soon), I'm pretty sure I would not support that.

I think this is an interesting discussion point. It seems some fans feel that if the technology improves, or in other words, if there is 'less impersonator' and 'more digital', that changes things. But does the fact that it's 'almost all digital' (Arnold) versus a 'little bit digital' (Billboard 'hologram') really change the situation? Think about this example: let's say the Estate releases a cd with a guy impersonating Michael singing songs Michael barely had anything to do with (of course we ironically already have been in sort of that situation, but I'm not talking about the Cascio tracks here). Maybe they have producers create songs based around a throw-away melody he once sang into a tape recorder and did nothing else with. To make things more realistic, they copy/paste a few samples of Michael vocals into it. Would you support this project? I would guess most people would not. Would the situation suddenly change for you if there is software that can make the impersonator's voice sound a lot more like Michael's? Let's say the program scans all of the real Michael's existing vocal takes and can then be applied to new vocals and make them sound like Michael. It is still the impersonator singing a song someone else made, but because of the technology he sounds much more like MJ than he did in the previous example. Would you be on board with this?

Even though one would sound more realistic, for me this situation is fundamentally the same. It's still inauthentic. A digitally altered stand-in doing choreography that someone else created and Michael never actually performed, to a remix of a demo that Michael had nothing to do with is no different from that. It's not Michael. It just has zero appeal to me.

That's what I mean the CGI concept , like a sim.
its honestly exciting, please please give it a chance guys who knows what they are capable of?
No limits, right?
M go digital
I'm down with that.

Back