Woah, When did HIStory come out as a stand alone release?

Mike P.

Proud Member
I was at f.y.e. in the Mall earlier and I saw this:

free screenshot software

upload a gif

Dunno if it's been out for awhile or if it came out recently, but it's new to me. Honestly, It's about time! It should have been released by itself years ago, It would have made more sense than releasing Disc 1 as a standalone, especially now that the market has been saturated with compilations.

HIStory is among Michael's best work by far, and it deserves to stand on it's own merits alongside his other albums without being overshadowed by Greatest Hits material.

I've never seen this version before, either. Long overdue, I think.

They have been reissuing albums recently. I've seen reissued versions of Off the Wall, Thriller and Dangerous at my local JB Hi-Fi, they all had the original packaging of the albums but with copyright dates dating 2014/2015 (as well as the original release year).

Here's the Off the Wall reissue I saw back in June:
UdeCN7c.jpg

Ed6bOM9.jpg

9qqWURE.jpg

Long overdue.

I need this also... unfortunately i cant find it anywhere online

They have been reissuing albums recently. I've seen reissued versions of Off the Wall, Thriller and Dangerous at my local JB Hi-Fi, they all had the original packaging of the albums but with copyright dates dating 2014/2015 (as well as the original release year).

Apart from the original packaging, I would like to know if these 2014/2015 re-releases come also from the original pressings or they are simply reissues of the subsequent (special editions 2001, anniversary editions, for example) releases of those albums.

Apart from the original packaging, I would like to know if these 2014/2015 re-releases come also from the original pressings or they are simply reissues of the subsequent (special editions 2001, anniversary editions, for example) releases of those albums.

Good question. The later versions of TDCAU and HIStory are no comparison to the original edits.

It's been available for a few years now. It was released to a few European markets. I only learned of this earlier this year and promptly picked up a copy online. I posted on here about it at the time but not in it's own thread - was a general HIStory thread.

Here is an example of the Spanish 2011 release of it. You can also purchase a copy through this link...
http://www.discogs.com/Michael-Jack...Future-Book-I-Special-Edition/release/4489221

Thanks Chris, just buying a copy now once I've determined what the guy wants for P&P!

Never seen this before. - Only disc 1 as a stand alone, and I've always felt it was strange the new album did not had a stand alone release.

Hope this will be available at iTunes too. - I will look for this in my local music store.

Just bought on ebay for like €13. Cant wait to add this to the collection. Was disgusted this album was left off "The Collection" after he died.

And what's more, it's so annoying when people act like the only reason HIStory was a big seller was because of the greatest hits being attached. I've heard numerous critics state this, when in fact the albums international sales were largely due to the massive success of singles like Earth Song and You Are Not Alone.

I disregard such people as morons. HIStory is one of the greatest albums of all time- I consider it a concept album where every song is art imitating life. Every song tells a different part of his story of that time, which was a great time to be a fan because of everything that happened- with all the singles, videos, the last tour, the appearances, the spawning of BOTDF- and a great time for Mike I'm sure as 95 proved that he was still the guy to beat as far as music, videos and performances were concerned.

Bad will always be my favourite album of all time but the story of HIStory along with the production, track sequence, the voice, the ideas. Mind blowing.

I agree with Matty that this should just be released as HIStory.

It IS moronic, you're right. Or when people said in 2001 that Invincible was MJ's first full length album in a decade. Ummm, hellooo???

I remember that being said so many times in 2001 it was ridiculous! It was clearly music "journalists" who hadnt done their homework thinking HIStory was just a greatest hits. Idiots.

HIStory era was a huge part of my childhood, kind of my coming of age when I was able to start thinking for myself. Plus it was a great album to teach you some life lessons at an early age.

I remember that being said so many times in 2001 it was ridiculous! It was clearly music "journalists" who hadnt done their homework thinking HIStory was just a greatest hits. Idiots.

Yet they always mention the REMIX album "Blood On The Dancefloor" as an "album" when they are out to draw a decline in sales/success over the years. It was one of the most successfull REMIX albums of all time, but of course these never sell as much as a proper album. Talk about agendas...

It's probably cheaper to produce one CD with a cardboard case, too, than re-producing the 2 disc version.

Yet they always mention the REMIX album "Blood On The Dancefloor" as an "album" when they are out to draw a decline in sales/success over the years. It was one of the most successfull REMIX albums of all time, but of course these never sell as much as a proper album. Talk about agendas...

The fact it wasnt released in the states is used against it too, almost as if "it doesnt count" to mainstream american journalists because it wasnt released there.

But don't let having some of his best songs on the album hold you back journalists!!!

^wait. It wasn't released in the States? I was reading another thread about a song from BODF and wondering where the heck was I?
Was I too old (was in my 30s so pretty much not listening to pop radio) then so I heard no promotion? Or even heard about it all? (Til years later).
You just made me feel better.

Last edited:
^wait. It wasn't released in the States? I was reading another thread about a song from BODF and wondering where the heck was I?
Was I too old then so I heard no promotion? Or even heard about it all? (Til years later).
You just made me feel better.

Yeah, the whole Dance thing really took off in Europe in the 90s , I dont think it did in the States so they didnt want to release it there. Because of this a lot of people werent aware of the 5 brilliant new songs on the album, and it wasnt just only club remixes.

It was released in the states though? The story I've always heard is that it was barely promoted in the states...

I put on the cab heater the other day and it was turned in the wrong direction.
I happened to have some cd on the seat ..well it was too hot for them.. but it´s good for the sales of HIStory
It was quite cheap when it was only one cd, I ordered 2

It was released in the states though? The story I've always heard is that it was barely promoted in the states...

Yeah id imagine you could get it but BOTDF wasnt released as a single so I think it was a case of that they released it but did so completely on the sly ha!

Yeah id imagine you could get it but BOTDF wasnt released as a single so I think it was a case of that they released it but did so completely on the sly ha!

Wait... are we talking about the album or the song cos I was referring to the album :lol:

I believe the intention was to release BOTDF as a single in the states. I heard it on the radio. I can remember the djs saying how brilliant the hook was. I think the song just didn't catch on and they backed off on promo.

Wait... are we talking about the album or the song cos I was referring to the album :lol:

At this point i apparently was talking of a hybrid of both album and single haha mixing myself up in the process sorry!

radio

I believe the intention was to release BOTDF as a single in the states. I heard it on the radio. I can remember the djs saying how brilliant the hook was. I think the song just didn't catch on and they backed off on promo.
I remember the local hip hop station played it on "rush it or flush it" and most callers said to flush it, so it was never played again. The DJ himself said it sounded dated. I didn't hear it on any other station. So I only heard it on the radio once.

Re: radio

I remember the local hip hop station played it on "rush it or flush it" and most callers said to flush it, so it was never played again. The DJ himself said it sounded dated. I didn't hear it on any other station. So I only heard it on the radio once.

It's crazy how differently BOTDF was treated stateside to Europe. It's my favourite song by far myself.

Interesting-again, I figured I hadn't heard about it, since I'm around the same age as Michael and therefore, by that time, past the age of the typical record buying public. I just assumed I missed out and the kids were hearing it on the radio.

It's crazy how differently BOTDF was treated stateside to Europe. It's my favourite song by far myself.
It is crazy-and really sad too-I can tell you the exact date and where I was for the world premiers of 'Thriller', 'The Way You Make Me Feel', 'BAD' and of course, 'Black or White.' 'Scream' too.
But of course, all of those were on major NETWORK TV channels-
After that, it was strictly cable or not at all-and I still didn't have cable. All the other videos from "Dangerous" were strictly on cable, including 'RTT' and 'Jam.'

Most of the time I was seeing Michael's work through NEWS reports. It seems like we went straight from the 'HIStory' teaser to 'Invincible'-I didn't even really know about 'Ghosts' except that I saw him arrive in Cannes on the news.

I "discovered" 'Blood on the Dance Floor' after Michael died-they were showing 24 hour marathons of Michael's videos and it came on-and I was flabbergasted.

Well it had sort of a New Jack Swing sound and by the time Blood came out, NJS was out of style in the US. It was on the way out when Dangerous was released. I don't know about in other countries, but NJS had been on the radio since around 1986 (or 1985 if you count Alice by Full Force). So of course it didn't really fit with what was on the radio in 1997, especially in R&B/hip hop.

Last edited:

Well it had sort of a New Jack Swing sound and by the time Blood came out, NJS was out of style in the US. It was on the way out when Dangerous was released. I don't know about in other countries, but NJS had been on the radio since around 1986 (or 1985 if you count Alice by Full Force). So of course it didn't really fit with what was on the radio in 1997, especially in R&B/hip hop.
Duran, you're such a music expert-so I'll ask this (stupid) question-I thought NJS was a fusion or hybrid of R&B, dance pop and rap/hip hop. Most all new music I hear anymore always has some rap in it, it seems-so what makes it different than NJS?
I just figured NJS took over the pop world and it never went back. :( I also thought that's why Dangerous 25 would do much better this time around-since everybody in the album buying age bracket would love it now. Including the US.

Back