Michael Jackson Estate Sued for Shutting Down Tribute Film 'Messages to Michael'

Bubs

Proud Member
Sharad Chandra Patel claims he was assigned a contract from his dying son to make a movie about Jackson's fans, but the late entertainer's executors won't provide home video footage or music rights.
The father of a deceased producer and friend of Michael Jackson's has sued the entertainer's estate, claiming he's been denied the opportunity to make a tribute film to Jackson under a contract his son had with the late singer.

Sharad Chandra Patel, whose son Raju Patel produced Bachelor Party, a 1994 version of The Jungle Book and The New Adventures of Pinocchio and was a Jackson friend, filed suit Thursday in Los Angeles Superior Court to enforce a creditor's claim that was rejected by the Jackson estate. Patel alleges that his son, who died of cancer in 2005, had a film company with Jackson called Neverland Entertainment and that a 2002 contract provides that all proceeds from their films will be split 50-50.

When Jackson was arrested and charged with child molestation in 2003, Raju is said to have stayed loyal to his friend and business partner. After the scandal subsided, Jackson is said to have wanted to make a film dedicated to the millions of fans who also stood by him during the controversy, and a 2005 contract signed three months before Raju died provided that Raju and Jackson would make Messages to Michael, "a tribute to Michael and his loyal fans." That contract, which includes language saying Raju "or his nominee" could make the film with Jackson "or his nominee," then allegedly was assigned from Raju to his father Sharad (who also is a producer) before the son died.

In the six years since Jackson died, Sharad has been trying to get access to Jackson's music and personal effects in order to make the film but has been shut out by estate executors John Branca and John McClain.

"Michael wanted to create a film tribute to the dedicated fans who stood by him during difficult times when many others turned their backs on Michael," the lawsuit reads. "Michael trusted his good friend and filmmaker, Raju, to make the film a reality." But Branca and McClain "have disregarded the terms of the agreement, as well as Michael's wishes for his fans, because [they] are simply motivated by the biggest payday."

Patel alleges his son's contract with Jackson entitles him to make the film with the Jackson estate's cooperation. Instead, the estate chose to partner with Sony on the 2010 documentary film This Is It, which included never-before-seen footage of Jackson. The estate is alleged to have collected "a 90 percent share of film profits" from This Is It, much more than the 50-50 split it would have obtained if it had cooperated with Patel's film under the contract with Jackson.

In 2010, Patel filed a creditor's claim against the estate. Five years later, on Sept. 3, it finally was denied. Now, "Sharad is seeking access to pre-existing materials, including music rights and home video footage, promised under the agreement now owned by Michael's estate for use in the film," the complaint says.

“Yet another meritless lawsuit filed against the Jackson Estate,” said estate attorney Howard Weitzman.

Patel is represented by well-known Hollywood litigator Larry Stein.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/michael-jackson-estate-sued-shutting-845655

Sharad Chandra Patel claims he was assigned a contract from his dying son to make a movie about Jackson's fans, but the late entertainer's executors won't provide home video footage or music rights.
The father of a deceased producer and friend of Michael Jackson's has sued the entertainer's estate, claiming he's been denied the opportunity to make a tribute film to Jackson under a contract his son had with the late singer.

I'm sure it would be perfectly possible for an inventive film-maker to make a tribute film without home movie or music rights. Not much of a tribute if you end up suing the Estate.:no:

It all seems rather late in the day, not sure I would want to see a film that is based around the trial, up to a couple of years after then yes definitely. But now we have lost him I would rather any release was based around the positive aspects of his artistry and life.

Plus im sure if Michaels heart had been in this project he would have provided all the material prior to his passing.

"Michael trusted his good friend and filmmaker, Raju, to make the film a reality."
Maybe Michael wanted his friend Raju to make a film but that doesn´t mean he wanted Raju`s father to do it

And there are still dedicated fans he can do a fijm about.

As a dedicated fan, why would I want to see a film about dedicated fans? Since they claim the estate went with TII instead, I think that was the superior choice. No brainer.

Judge, just dismiss this thing.

Amazing that his creditor claim was denied only this September!
I wonder if he was looking to get 50% of profit from TII in his creditor claim?

I wonder if the estate has to pay attorney fees in probate cases like this or will the losing side pays both?,

It all seems rather late in the day, not sure I would want to see a film that is based around the trial, up to a couple of years after then yes definitely. But now we have lost him I would rather any release was based around the positive aspects of his artistry and life.

Plus im sure if Michaels heart had been in this project he would have provided all the material prior to his passing.

My feeling exactly if Michael heart was in it material would have been there you are right and i agree with you in the bold part that what i want to see too positive on Miochael.

TII was the best thing the Estate could have done for the fans. I saw the movie 13 times at the show i would go to my same spot and watch the movie i cried everytime i saw it i could not hold the tears back. The fans got the chance to see the magic one more time and to me TII was dedicated to the the fans of Michael Jackson . Michael did not get that chance to do the show but we as his fans got to watch a genius at work one more time and that is a memory that will last a life time.

Last edited:
Another one of those backstabbers sueing the Estate. How inexcusable!

Amazing that his creditor claim was denied only this September!
I wonder if he was looking to get 50% of profit from TII in his creditor claim?

I wonder if the estate has to pay attorney fees in probate cases like this or will the losing side pays both?,

I would not be surpries.

I agree too judge dismiss this.

As a dedicated fan, why would I want to see a film about dedicated fans? Since they claim the estate went with TII instead, I think that was the superior choice. No brainer.

Judge, just dismiss this thing.

I see a dedicated fan every time I look in the mirror, lol! A film can't possibly cover every aspect of what Mike's fanbase consists of, ANYWAY.

TII was the best thing the Estate could have done for the fans. I saw the movie 13 times at the show i would go to my same spot and watch the movie i cried everytime i saw it i could not hold the tears back. The fans got the chance to see the magic one more time and to me TII was dedicated to the the fans of Michael Jackson . Michael did not get that chance to do the show but we as his fans got to watch a genius at work one more time and that is a memory that will last a life time.
Absolutely!! Well said, Pat, and I couldn't agree more.
I saw TII at the theatre here opening night by myself. Probably no more than 10 or 12 other dedicated fans in the theatre and it was an amazing experience.
We all laughed out loud at the same time and applauded wildly at the same time and stood up at the same time. I'm sure those people were crying sometimes too.

I sat there so proud and so happy that he seemed so happy. And back on his own turf. And I'm more than glad that he went out in a blaze of glory.

I bought the DVD and received several copies as gifts, but I'm not going to watch it. I'm not trading in that experience and memory of the big screen for anything.

I'll always be grateful to the Estate for giving us that.

Last edited:
Absolutely!! Well said, Pat and I couldn't agree more.
I saw TII at the theatre here opening night by myself. Probably no more than 10 or 12 other dedicated fans in the theatre and it was an amazing experience.
We all laughed out loud at the same time and applauded wildly at the same time and stood up at the same time. I'm sure those people were crying sometimes too.

I sat there so proud and so happy that he seemed so happy. And back on his own turf. And I'm more than glad that he went out in a blaze of glory.

I bought the DVD and received several copies as gifts, but I'm not going to watch it. I'm not trading in that experience and memory of the big screen for anything.

I'll always be grateful to the Estate for giving us that.

I've never watched it on disc either! I saw it every week from it's opening until its closing in the theatre. I even bought the blu ray version and don't even OWN a blu ray player or blu ray compatible tv, lol!

Back