Greg Gorman's semi-nude photo of Michael?

morinen

Proud Member
When I first saw this picture, I thought it was a fan-made photoshop, or an impersonator - I didn't recognize Michael. But apparently, Greg Gorman (photograph who made several well-known pictures of MJ in the 80s) claims it's real. It's displayed at an exhibition of his works in Berlin.

2ab9c74635b5.jpg

(alternative shot)

From Gorman's interview to Die Welt (google-translated):

ICON: Have these people also developed friendships?

Gorman: With Pierce Brosnan I'm close friends with John Hurt. I'm not a name dropper, but I got along well with Michael Jackson. He sometimes called me and we talked.

ICON: In the exhibition there is also a picture of Michael Jackson, which has never been shown before.

Gorman: Right. Whenever I photographed Michael, we talked before two hours. About the concept and what we wanted to do. On the day when this photo was taken, he said how much he admired my nude photographs. So we decided to take a picture that is somewhat revealing. I suppose that's why it did not get the public so long to face.

This image of Michael Jackson will be issued for the first time ever.

http://www.welt.de/icon/article149561411/Ich-fotografiere-nur-was-Widerrede-geben-kann.html

ZUR-EINMALIGEN-VERWENDUNG-IM-ZUSAMMENHAN.jpg

Something looks off with the face. It looks like a painting.
Agreed on both accounts. The left side of his face (right in the picture) does look like Michael to me, but the right side (left in the pic) does not.

Odd...

Another thing that irks me about this photo is the allusion to the arm brace. Didn't Michael start wearing an arm brace in "Black or White"? And this is supposedly 80s. How do you allude to a concept that hasn't been even used yet?

Another one

b3935bd06432.jpg

^He started wearing the BoW style brace/arm cast in 91, but he did wear stuff that looked similar to what is in this Gorman photo, for instance in the Dirty Diana cover photoshoot.

313641_1255760017367_full.jpg

Another thing that irks me about this photo is the allusion to the arm brace. Didn't Michael start wearing an arm brace in "Black or White"? And this is supposedly 80s. How do you allude to a concept that hasn't been even used yet?

Another one

b3935bd06432.jpg

It looks like very late '80s to me. '89 or even '90. He looks similar to Liberian Girl video or Madonna Oscars date, especially his hair. So it is possible that he used it here as an experiment. And he liked it and kept it for BOW.

But yes, it does seem weird to me also. Especially when I first saw it. I thought it's an impersonator.

Oh damn. That looks hot! Here is what Gorman told about it to the German newspaper Die Welt:

ICON: Have you also made friends with these people?

Gorman: I am a good friend of Pierce Brosnan, also John Hurt. I am not a name dropper but I had a good rapport with Michael Jackson as well. Sometimes he called me and we talked.

ICON: There is a photo of Michael Jackson at the exhibition that has never been seen before.

Gorman: Right. Always when I photographed Michael we talked for two hours beforehand. About the concept and what we wanted to do. On that day when this photo was made he told he how he admired my nude photos. So we decided to make a photo that is a bit more revealing. I guess that's why it hasn't been seen for so long. This photo of Michael is exhibited for the first time ever.

ICON: Is this your favourite from the exhibition?

Gorman: I am glad that it's there, yes. But I also like my photo of David Bowie and of Andy Warhol - it's difficult to decide what I like more, they both invoke nice memories in me.

http://www.welt.de/icon/article149561411/Ich-fotografiere-nur-was-Widerrede-geben-kann.html

It looks like very late '80s to me. '89 or even '90. He looks similar to Liberian Girl video or Madonna Oscars date, especially his hair. So it is possible that he used it here as an experiment. And he liked it and kept it for BOW.

But yes, it does seem weird to me also. Especially when I first saw it. I thought it's an impersonator.

They say the photo is from '87.

'US photographer Greg Gorman poses in front of a picture he took of late US musician Michael Jackson in Los Angeles in 1987, during the 'Color Works' exhibition at the Museum of Photography in Berlin, Germany, 03 December 2015. The exhibition runs until 22 May 2016.'

He is the one who also made these photos:

be29e837dc17t.jpg

tumblr_mx3gtqUpHD1r4ba6to1_500.jpg

:lol: I've never seen so many browse the same thread at the same time? 9 members and 59 guests? You would think that people wants to see Michael semi-nude :eek:n_the_sly:
anyway, I don't know what to make of the picture :unsure:

Last edited:
Oh. my. goodness. It's beautiful. He's beautiful. :eek: :wub: Thank you God, for what you have done for us this day! :bow: :D

Last edited:
Somewhat of a shock to see this at first, but it definitely is a piece of art. I shouldn't be surprised-Michael was definitely a risk taker. I can only think of about five people who would have done that tarantula and black veil shot around that time.

I agree that something seems off about his right side, but I guess it was just the way the light caught it-maybe he only allowed one picture to be taken-and I also agree that it looks like the Dirty Diana shoot-probably taken at the same time.

tumblr_nyuntruDfN1rnbobmo2_500.jpg

I've just been staring at this for 15mins straight... :shock: I didn't immediately recognize it as Michael, the real Michael - I thought it was either a painting or PSed. Could be because of the angles the pictures were taken in but.. something definitely looks off and it also doesn't look like it was '87, at all..
Either way, I don't think Greg would publish a 'fake', so I guess it really is him, but it just looks kinda odd.. I can't wait to get a decent scan of it!! Can't believe Michael did a shoot like this back then.. damn! :wild:

I agree that something seems off about his right side, but I guess it was just the way the light caught it-maybe he only allowed one picture to be taken-and I also agree that it looks like the Dirty Diana shoot-probably taken at the same time.

Let's not forget this is taken through a glass and from an angle. Maybe that plays a part in why it looks "odd".

tumblr_nyuntruDfN1rnbobmo2_500.jpg

something definitely looks off and it also doesn't look like it was '87, at all..
Either way, I don't think Greg would publish a 'fake', so I guess it really is him, but it just looks kinda odd.. I can't wait to get a decent scan of it!! Can't believe Michael did a shoot like this back then.. damn! :wild:
I thought 88/89 at first-but thinking about the Dirty Diana shoot and then looking at the picture just posted, made me think they were doing that, and then decided to do this suddenly.

Let's not forget this is taken through a glass and from an angle. Maybe that plays a part in why it looks "odd".
Good point-

If I saw the actual photo I reckon I would absolutely know if it was Michael. Something does look off in these shots...

Finally some good news hey! I first thought it would be a photoshopped one too when I spotted the title but GOOD Lord :wild:
Thx for posting this awesome piccie and I am not surprised nor shocked about it. Michael loved art and its a beautiful decent thoughtful pose.
Think, I stopped breathing for awhile there just staring at my screen. Would love to have that one on my wall though. Very artistic! :D

His ears don't look like Michael's IMO, the whole picture strikes me as a odd but if it's really him, I'd love to see footage of it to be 100% sure.

I thought 88/89 at first-but thinking about the Dirty Diana shoot and then looking at the picture just posted, made me think they were doing that, and then decided to do this suddenly.

DD came out in April 1988. But MJ then was on tour since February. So the video must have been shot early 1988 or maybe late 1987. If this photo was made then too then the 1987 date isn't that far off.

BTW, Gorman is a renowned photographer. I doubt he would risk his professional reputation by faking photos: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greg_Gorman

Last edited:
That picture is 100% Michael. I even looked pictures up for comparison of the legs. I don't question it's realness. A good photographer knows how to use lighting properly. That might be why it looks like a painting, when it's not a painting.

Now it's clear why he was so cool about La Toya with her Playboy photoshoot :)

here's another one where you can see his face a little better
vkalWcq.png

I'm pretty sure it's just the combination of lighting (in the actual photo), the angled shots and reflection that make it look different. I don't doubt it's Michael tho, there's no reason to question Greg's integrity like that imo. I'm still surprised about it being '87, I guess it's the hair... But man, what a gorgeous picture! :heart:

I'd love to see footage of it to be 100% sure.

not for that reason, but yeah... I'd love to see footage too :shifty:

Back