Could Michael move like this in his later years?

SkyWalk

Proud Member
I'm wondering if Michael struggled to move like this as an adult or why he stopped doing this epic move. I think he sort of does it briefly during 'You Are My Lovely One' Bad tour '87.

http://youtu.be/vZLbOY_86qo

Some of his later chreographies were more complex and physically harder to dance (e.g., Ghosts, Dangerous). None us can tell you why exactly MJ stopped doing it but I think the robot dance has became old fashioned at some point so this could be the reason.

Because it looks a bit funny? :)
It fits into the time and the funky disco music of the 70s.
It's some of those classic robot moves that he learned from the Breakdance scene back then.
He simply evolved from that and concentrated on moves he created.

He incorporated a lot of those "robot" moves into different songs and dances later, but I always thought this full-fledged choreography was made just for this song-"Dancing Machine" was their first gigantic hit in years and the last for Motown, I believe, and they all knew it was going to be big. And Michael made it bigger, by creating this routine-it worked-they got nominated for their second Grammy.

I do remember, after this, you couldn't go to a disco without seeing half the floor trying to do the robot.

I swear to god i waiting for him to do that on the 30th anniversary but....he was much faster bk in his 20s

Well..some of the movements evolved into the Human Nature routine, which evolved into it`s tour replacement Stranger in Moscow. Michael was quite smart at not using the same routine for different songs, he differentiated and made sure we wouldn`t get a 'repeat' when watching a new song, next to his signature moves of course.

he also did something similar to this in Toronto

and this why I say, if this Off The Wall documentary really hits....and they show real clean footage of the Triumph Tour, the world will get to see how spontaneous and awe inspiring his dancing really was before Motown 25, his spins were lightening quick and he would do one round of spins that would lead up to another round of spins w/out breaking stride.........and then I have some things to say afterwards

The Robot is still being done TODAY. It didn't go out of style; Mike just changed it up, evolved the dance. The frantic pace in which he performed it back in the day (the clip posted) fit at that time, but not later.

There is no question he had a speed then that he did not carry post Dangerous but as far as the actual movements I have no doubt he could do that even in 2009.. He would have actually needed to re touch on it though, as in practice it since I doubt he had reason to do that full out for a long time.

Back