Michael's studio backing vocals VS. the live backing singers

innuendo141

Proud Member
Country
Ireland
Does anyone ever wonder why for some songs MJ didn't separate his main acapella vocal from the backing vocals for some songs live? Main examples of this are Stranger in Moscow, You Are Not Alone, Blood on the Dance Floor, Billie Jean.

I wonder was there a specific reason? Surely it wasn't because they didn't have the audio track isolated? If that was the case I'm sure MJ would have re-recorded vocals for the tours which were required.

Maybe MJ just preferred the sound of his own backing vocals to give the songs a more studio feel to them. I really wish he hadn't. I have no problem with the lip syncing thing I got over that years ago, but I really dislike how the backing singers were also muted. It's so cringey watching Kevin sing his heart out for SIM and we can't even hear him!!! He, Daryl, Dorian and the others gave the liver versions a real kick that I feel the songs above and some others really lack.

I wonder was there a specific reason? Surely it wasn't because they didn't have the audio track isolated?
All tracks are recorded separately so it was a conscious decision on MJ's part. Also see TWYMMF from the 93 rehearsals for an example of the opposite; he's singing (well, speaking in this case :) ) live, but the backing vocals are still his own studio vocals.

I did not like this choice either. Michael's harmonies are fantastic and a highlight of several songs for me when I listen to the albums, but I like to hear live vocals during concerts. I get that it is impossible to recreate the rich and dense harmonies from the studio versions, but still... a compromise would have been to mix his studio backing vocals with the live backing vocals. The way he did it now, with them being completely inaudible in some songs, is definitely cringey to watch imo.

All tracks are recorded separately so it was a conscious decision on MJ's part. Also see TWYMMF from the 93 rehearsals for an example of the opposite; he's singing (well, speaking in this case :) ) live, but the backing vocals are still his own studio vocals.

I did not like this choice either. Michael's harmonies are fantastic and a highlight of several songs for me when I listen to the albums, but I like to hear live vocals during concerts. I get that it is impossible to recreate the rich and dense harmonies from the studio versions, but still... a compromise would have been to mix his studio backing vocals with the live backing vocals. The way he did it now, with them being completely inaudible in some songs, is definitely cringey to watch imo.

Exactly! I feel that a lot of the live songs sound full enough (especially with Sheryl or Siedah). The backing vocals of Heartbreak Hotel in 87/88 prove this. It's so full. Then again, Michael also had the audio of Munich altered to sound more studio like, so I guess he just wanted some songs to sound exactly like the CD. Surely, the fact that he was planning a HIStory tour release, he would have anticipated people copping to the fact that he can't sing multiple different harmonies at one time live!

I think Kevin and the guys deserved a bit better too...

a compromise would have been to mix his studio backing vocals with the live backing vocals. The way he did it now, with them being completely inaudible in some songs, is definitely cringey to watch imo.
I didn't realize their mics were muted. I always thought the backup singers were singing along to Michael's own backup.
Or was this only on the HIStory tour?

I didn't realize their mics were muted. I always thought the backup singers were singing along to Michael's own backup.
Or was this only on the HIStory tour?

It's on HIStory tour of course. And I think when he performed Thriller, Smooth Crominal in Dangerous Tour it was the same.

On Smooth Criminal at Wembley 1988 the backing singers vocals are mixed with Michael's album vocals, and it sounds much better. It gave the song more of a live feel

I really dislike how the backing singers were also muted.

Da*n, some threads make me feel fooled. I thought they were singing while snapping their fingers during "Stranger In Moscow". Some people will think "DUH !". I haven't watched many History Tour concerts, but I thought Michael was the only one lip syncing. Please guys, do not tell me the backing singers were not really singing during that beautiful, moving moment at the end of the Jackson 5 medley in Munich. "The-eeee...eeeere !"

Last edited:
It's on HIStory tour of course. And I think when he performed Thriller, Smooth Crominal in Dangerous Tour it was the same.
OK-now that makes sense. I'll admit that I'm way more familiar with the Bad Tour and Victory where I thought it sometimes looks and sounds like a combo. I was going to say-it sounds live to me-especially when you hear Sheryl. :). >>
On Smooth Criminal at Wembley 1988 the backing singers vocals are mixed with Michael's album vocals, and it sounds much better. It gave the song more of a live feel

I've only watched bits and pieces of Dangerous and History except for some amateur/alternate full length versions on YouTube recently.

Michael's backing vocalists were so frequently awful. The Bad tour more often than not was just embarrassing. Darryl (I believe his name was - he sang Jermaine's solo in "I'll Be There") and Sheryl were the only two good ones.

In my opinion, Michael did not have good backing vocalists and dancers until This Is It. I've always wondered how the biggest star in the world would pick such bad vocalists and dancers. Just could not comprehend lol This Is It had the best band, vocalists and dancers Michael ever had and they were actually very good, which makes me even sadder that those shows never happened.

Back