Songs that should have been singles

analogue

Proud Member
Get On The Floor - This could have been huge

Unbreakable - Would have been a better first single instead of You Rock My World

These are the biggest ones in my opinion:

Unbreakable
Whatever Happens
Dangerous (proper single)
Xscape (both versions)

Also:
Break of Dawn
Invincible
Heartbreaker
Get On The Floor
I Can't Help It
Loving You

I agree with you. Unbreakable is a great song. Break Of Dawn could maybe be a single too. Mr. Sneddon would have liked D.S.

I agree with you. Unbreakable is a great song. Break Of Dawn could maybe be a single too. Mr. Sneddon would have liked D.S.

I wanted to have D.S on my list as well but I don't see it working really :lol:

I think both D.S and Tabloid Junkie are great. Tabloid Junkie is a great musical piece and I think it sounds like it could have been a hit but in both cases lyrics are problematic for single releases.

Last edited:
Workin' day and night! Amazing song
I agree with the comments at the top, TJ and D.S. are amazing but they wouldn't work as singles probably

I think both D.S and Tabloid Junkie are great. Tabloid Junkie is a great musical piece and I think it sounds like it could have been a hit but in both cases lyrics are problematic for single releases.

Yeah, I forgot Tabloid Junkie. It actually is an excellent song. And very catchy too :)
tumblr_m5uvhrWECN1rqe9e9.jpg

michael-jackson-handwritten-ts-lyrics.jpg

As you can see the name even was T.S in the writing process. I think that he actually sings "Tom Sneddon is a cold man" instead of Dom Sheldon or whatever it was :p

Get On The Floor should have been released as a single! #1 is written all over this song. Wasted chance in my opinion.

What I do not get at all why they did not release WDAN as single. This song was already popular without a release. Another chance wasted...

Give In To Me is just the follow up of Dirty Diana. This song... Dayyum! You can feel his emotions in this song. Why was this song released in Europe only? And not in the States?

Earth Song. Same story as GITM.

Furthermore:

2Bad
D.S. (They should have released this song when Mike was acquitted from all charges)
Tabloid Junkie
Liberian Girl
Why You Wanna Trip On Me

Invincible is soooooo underrated. Heaven Can Wait, Speechless, Break of Dawn, Butterflies and Whatever Happens. If Butterflies had a proper cd release I think this song couldd have been a top 10 hit. If Sony didn't act like a bitch during the Invincible era, I think this album would have had good single releases.

Can someone explain why some singles were only released in Europe and not in the States, such as GITM and Earth Song.

Last edited:
Heartbreaker
Heaven Can Wait
Whatever Happens

Earth Song in the USA as well!

Last edited:
I don't know, Earth Song has an US PROMO vinyl and CD relases. And Liberian Girl WAS relased as a single:) And I was just listening to Invincible and it's an excellent album. As I posted in the best songs in Invincible thread, 77 minutes and 7 seconds (hehe:D) PURE EAR CANDY :p

But I can see the short film for D.S now

It could take place in court with the jury as backing dancers, a Sneddon look a like, and then Slash appears and plays the guitar solo in Sneddon's face.

Just Good Friends. A mortal sin that it is treated like the black sheep of bad!

How can I forget about JGF!! I think it's a masterpiece! Don't understand why this song isn't loved by fans...

How can I forget about JGF!! I think it's a masterpiece! Don't understand why this song isn't loved by fans...

Here, here.......I couldn't agree more, a criminally underrated song. It's so good on soo many levels it ain't even funny.

Also a few others that have been mentioned - Speechless, Get on the floor, Working day and night. Another one would also be We've had enough. I so wish the public at large was aware of this masterpiece and not only fans. It truly deserves much greater recognition.

The gun shot at the end of D.S. which Invincible777 also mentioned has always been problematic for me. I realize Michael had more than his share of righteous anger to express on the record, but still, I'm not entirely sure that one sound was necessary....

The gun shot at the end of D.S. which Invincible777 also mentioned has always been problematic for me. I realize Michael had more than his share of righteous anger to express on the record, but still, I'm not entirely sure that one sound was necessary....

Even though Mike hated him so much, I do not think that Michael would have wanted to kill him if he had the chance. I'm sure there is another meaning behind the gunshot.

I'd say there's a good 25-30% of MJ songs that were not released as singles that I think could have been awesome as singles.

Even though Mike hated him so much, I do not think that Michael would have wanted to kill him if he had the chance. I'm sure there is another meaning behind the gunshot.

I'm convinced you're right. But still, even the simple artistic suggestion of violence is slightly disturbing. Michael may not have meant it that way, but it is a logical conclusion for most people listening to the song and knowing the background/situation behind it.

I may be goin' on a stretch here with my supposition, but I actually think that if Michael had survived that dreadful day in 2009 and last year would have heard about Sneddon's death I don't think he would have been anywhere near as jubilant about it as some of his fans were. Goes without saying that the hell he suffered for 12 long years because of that man's prejudice would probably justify at least a coldness from him, but I would hope he was more forgiving. In any case, the thread was about something else entirely, I better stop speculating about things I couldn't possibly have any insight into.

Altough Sneddon said a long ago that he hasn't listened to the song, but he has been told that the song ends with a gunshot.

I think the gunshot in D.S. refers to the fact that Sneddon is the one who wants Michael dead, I don't think it's intention is to show Michael's anger.
To stay on topic, I would like to add I'm so Blue to the list of songs that should have been singles. Amazing song, but then again that doesn´t guarantee a number one.
Oh and Threatened! I don't know if it was mentioned!

Unbreakable
Whatever happens
Break of dawn
Speechless
I can't help it
WDAN
Baby be mine

Many of them are from Invincible…

Why you wanna trip on me and dangerous instead of Gone too soon and will you be there

Back