Little Michael Appreciation Thread.

Themidwestcowboy

Proud Member
I'm astonished by the fact that young Michael possessed such great vocal technique. His voice was so mature, full and soulful when he was younger. Don't chew me out for this but as he got older he sorta lost (to a degree) that soulful quality in his voice but compensated with versatility and power. I was just looking through old J5 videos on youtube and it dawned upon me how unique his voice was, even at that age! His faculty for holding long notes, without succumbing to vibrato, was an amazing feat. This kind of talent is rare.

[youtube]l3_1UWV23rQ[/youtube]

[youtube]270Fr-B4ad0[/youtube]

[youtube]IvmqYZr0RFo[/youtube]

[youtube]-PZR7f4-EZE[/youtube]

[youtube]J2xc8xZ0tV0[/youtube]

[youtube]Snsiyw9oPqY[/youtube]

Last edited:
0:33

55455442.jpg

One of his greatest moments :D

55455442.jpg

Just wow! When people say that Michael was strictly a pop singer i show them that clip. They need to understand where he came from.His roots. That was his bread and butter, that somber, deep soulfulness.

Just wow! When people say that Michael was strictly a pop singer i show them that clip. They need to understand where he came from.His roots. That was his bread and butter, that somber, deep soulfulness.
I watch Michael's Wikipedia page like a hawk-it's locked, but it's edited constantly-at least once a day-
One of the topics are genres of music-and the editors fight constantly whether or not he is a soul singer-someone puts it in, the next day it's edited out, etc.
And I always just think of this-proof enough-his roots are soul through and through.

I watch Michael's Wikipedia page like a hawk-it's locked, but it's edited constantly-at least once a day-
One of the topics are genres of music-and the editors fight constantly whether or not he is a soul singer-someone puts it in, the next day it's edited out, etc.
And I always just think of this-proof enough-his roots are soul through and through.

To say anything else would be absurd!

I love this-I can just imagine little Michael with glowy stars in his eyes, standing in the wings staring at Jackie Wilson singing this

Without a doubt. Too bad I wasn't truly aware of the song till much, much later. So much so that when someone told me not to "worry my pretty little head" I just thought they were being cute and sweet. Little did I know then they were quoting lil' Mike :)

I know this isin't Little Mike but it's still young mike and this is one of my absolute favorites. All these years later and I still get goosebumps listening to it.

[youtube]JfktVRxye-Q[/youtube]

I know this isin't Little Mike but it's still young mike and this is one of my absolute favorites. All these years later and I still get goosebumps listening to it.

I consider this one of his Motown masterpieces! Smokey Robinson was right; Mike sang with a wisdom far beyond his biological years. He truly was an old soul. :wub:

I consider this one of his Motown masterpieces! Smokey Robinson was right; Mike sang with a wisdom far beyond his biological years. He truly was an old soul. :wub:
I played this by accident this morning-for some reason, this song always makes me really weepy now-and today was no exception. But it's just heartbreakingly beautiful.

I'm astonished by the fact that young Michael possessed such great vocal technique. His voice was so mature, full and soulful when he was younger. Don't chew me out for this but as he got older he sorta lost (to a degree) that soulful quality in his voice but compensated with versatility and power. I was just looking through old J5 videos on youtube and it dawned upon me how unique his voice was, even at that age! His faculty for holding long notes, without succumbing to vibrato, was an amazing feat. This kind of talent is rare.

[youtube]l3_1UWV23rQ[/youtube]

[youtube]270Fr-B4ad0[/youtube]

[youtube]IvmqYZr0RFo[/youtube]

[youtube]-PZR7f4-EZE[/youtube]

[youtube]J2xc8xZ0tV0[/youtube]

[youtube]Snsiyw9oPqY[/youtube]

There will be no chewing from me. Nobody should be chewing, because what you stated was right. Thank you for creating this thread; it takes me back to my childhood. :heart:

There will be no chewing from me. Nobody should be chewing, because what you stated was right. Thank you for creating this thread; it takes me back to my childhood. :heart:

Pleasure is all mine! I thought we all needed a reminder of this period in Mike's life. I really want a boxset with material, songs, concerts, pictures, interviews, demos, from this period.

Pleasure is all mine! I thought we all needed a reminder of this period in Mike's life. I really want a boxset with material, songs, concerts, pictures, interviews, demos, from this period.

:punk: We do, especially those that didn't grow up in the J5 era. The Estate should consider doing just that and I hope they do it. Didn't the executors acquire the Motown catalog? Maybe it was wishful thinking, but I read on some blog that Mike now owns ALL of his music (and I took that as getting the Motown recordings).

Love this song. One of his most beautiful vocals.

I only came to love this song in recent years, but I'm so glad that Smokey didn't have this ready in time for Diana to sing it in Lady Sings the Blues. It's just gorgeous.

I only came to love this song in recent years, but I'm so glad that Smokey didn't have this ready in time for Diana to sing it in Lady Sings the Blues. It's just gorgeous.

Such a beautiful song. I love the live rendition of this song, with a little older mike
[youtube]Hh6QjZOhvh0[/youtube]

Genius from birth. He's always been a breath-taking performer. Little Mike never gets the appreciation he deserves.
Who's Loving You Live on the Ed Sullivan show still gives me Goosebumps
Great thread dude

I love this too, I always listen to this show.
This is the year I got to see them live. Sounds unbelievable now, but I really hated this song. Not hated, but just got sick of it.
They sang this on so many tv shows (and Looking thru the Windows) that I was dying for a different song.
Now I realize how great it is.

This is the year I got to see them live. Sounds unbelievable now, but I really hated this song. Not hated, but just got sick of it.
They sang this on so many tv shows (and Looking thru the Windows) that I was dying for a different song.
Now I realize how great it is.

Wow. Was Jermaine with the group when you saw them or did he not perform at any of the tours?

Yes, Jermaine was there and so was Randy. They were on the verge of splitting with Motown, if I remember correctly.

OK cool thanks for the info, yous aw them before the Mexico gigs then. Wow that a great thing to be able to claim. The last time all 6 members toured (properly)

Another one where his voice is highlighted beautifully is this......

Yes, Jermaine was there and so was Randy. They were on the verge of splitting with Motown, if I remember correctly.

Wow I'm really envious of you. Not just because you got to see J5 live but in general, If i remember correctly you have seen a lot of the great motown acts and legends. I so wish I was born at that time.

Can you tell me how the general audience reacted to The Jacskons split from Motown? Was it meet with hostility or did they embrace the change? I find that period to be very interesting.

Back