Overall activity: 96.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranTagger Second Class10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,050 Times in 2,685 Posts

Default Re: Joseph Fiennes To Play MJ In 9/11 Programme

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothGangsta View Post
    Fans wrote in to sky in their droves, they effectively wanted the show to be censored and not shown. That's what happened.
    Interesting. I heard (probably here) that there was a petition around, but those aren't usually effective. Wonder why fans didn't write in droves about the Autopsy show, or the Reelz channel show that implied Michael bought off the judge.

You can't defame the dead and you can parody anybody-living or dead-so I'm surprised fans had that much sway.

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 81.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger Second ClassVeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,140 Times in 3,340 Posts

They couldn't care less about the fans, if someone had a sway if they remain truthful about the cancelation, it was París.

Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 31
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive

Level
    Thanks

So much for free speech eh.

Overall activity: 38.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger First Class25000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive

Level
    Thanks

Default free speech

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothGangsta View Post
    So much for free speech eh.
    Free speech has to do with the government. A private company can censor anything they want. Like a mod who runs a website site can delete comments, or a person who has a Youtube page can delete comments they don't like or have the comments cut off.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DuranDuran For This Useful Post:

Overall activity: 94.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,724 Times in 8,645 Posts

No one limited anyone's free speech and no one censored anyone.

Sky decided to pull it by their own decision based on protests from MJ's family - more precisely they pointed to Paris, not fans. No one forced them to, but maybe they simply realized eventually the show was in poor taste. Other programs, more often than not, go ahead with such or worse shows about MJ despite of fan protest or family protest, so I cannot see how it is "censorship" or anyone is being silenced. It was the channel's own decision. Sometimes people actually do realize that not every joke is a good joke and that something is in poor taste.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to respect77 For This Useful Post:

Overall activity: 94.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,724 Times in 8,645 Posts

By the way, neither Paris or fans have any power to censor Sky. But free speech is a two way street. It's not simply a pass to bash MJ, whether on Sky or here. People also have a free speech right to disagree and yes, to criticize or call out things that are untrue or disrespectful. That's also a part of free speech that some people always forget. To voice such an opinion is not censorship. Sky may or may not react to such opinions, but it's their call, no one forces them to do anything. Fans or Paris do not have any power to censor them.

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to respect77 For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 141
    Overall activity: 85.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,440 Times in 1,416 Posts

Saw a tweet in the sidebar on MJJC, asking why the Estate never spoke up.

From what I've gathered over the years, the Estate very rarely comment on controversial matters like these because they feel doing so would draw even more attention to the negative work, adding fuel to the fire. It's a position I understand, even though I have disagreed on this position a couple of times (like last year when those fake/manipulated police reporters were released and the Estate said very little, for example).
    Last edited by HIStoric; 16-01-2017 at 12:28 PM.

Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 443
    Overall activity: 71.0%
    Achievements:
    Three Friends10000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,264 Posts

Sky may have not literally 'asked' for a backlash but left themselves stupidly open for it..
    **He lives forever within us**

Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 65
    Overall activity: 52.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger First Class10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,102 Times in 1,060 Posts

There's an interesting 'alternative' story here....that the Jackson's actually asked for someone else to portray MJ in this production....but this impersonator turned it down. Seems to be a rather contradictory story in many ways ie that the family knew the nature and content of the production, but were still happy for it to be made with their choice of lead actor.

Looks like 2017 will be the 'year of the MJ impersonator' as we already know about 2 other biopics being made, one with Navi (the bodyguards story) and one with Earnest Valentino.

I would like to announce that Earnest Valentino will be starring in an up coming T.V. movie as Michael Jackson. (A Documentary)

The film is produced by UK`s biggest film company ITV, and was directed by Ben Mole. It will be airing next year (2017) on channel 5, and in America.

Title, Date & Time: TBA (From EV FB Page)
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Michael Jackson impersonator says he turned down Joseph Fiennes' role

A Michael Jackson "tribute artist" performing in Melbourne says he was approached to perform in a British comedy show that had an episode cancelled this week amid controversy over Anglo actor JosephFiennes' portrayal of the late singer.

Damian Brantley, part of the Las Vegas show Legends in Concert at The Palms at Crown, said he had been offered a role in the Sky Arts comedy Urban Myths but turned it down because he "didn't like what the storyline was portraying".

Brantley said his name had been put forward by Jackson's family for the episode of Urban Myths.

"This is a rough one because people hate to hear the real [sic], but it's the truth: the family would more than likely prefer someone of their – at least partial – ethnic background portraying their son," Brantley told Fairfax Media.

Brantley has a white mother and black father, who was also a musician and performer, touring with BB King and starring in a Little Richard tribute show in Vegas.

"They [Jackson's family] asked for me personally because they knew me ... I'd known them for a long time.

"There were several people in the running. For them [the show's producers] to pick the gentleman that was fully caucasian – I mean, that's a director's choice, it's their project, but I'm sure that the family's not happy with it."

Brantley said he respected Fiennes' decision to take the opportunity but that he wasn't the best man for the role.

"You're talking about someone who does it [impersonates] probably almost never," he said. "We know the talent, we know who the top five [Michael Jackson impersonators] in the world are, and while I mean no disrespect to this gentleman, he's definitely not in the top five. He's not even close."

Sky Arts and the Michael Jackson Estate have been contacted for comment.

Brantley has been performing his tribute act for more than 20 years, with audiences regularly astounded by his moon walking skills. The dimples are natural, but he does change the shape of his nose with a nick of tape, and contoured make-up.

He and many of his co-stars in the Legends in Concert franchise – which has, astoundingly, been running in Las Vegas and around the world since 1983, last visiting Melbourne 15 years ago – have had the honour of meeting their tributes in person

Both he and David Brighton, who plays David Bowie, had honed their acts long before the men they portrayed died.

Brantley said he met Jackson on several occasions, and that Jackson and his family had come to see him perform.

While their passing was heartbreaking they said demand for their acts skyrocketed in the wake of the stars' deaths.

"It exploded to the point where we couldn't keep up with it and it got very overwhelming, like a little flood," said Brighton in his thick Californian accent.

Brighton filmed an ad with Bowie in 2003, playing various incarnations of the singer with the real Bowie as himself.

Other acts on the bill include Adele, Elvis, Madonna and Prince.

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/...18-gttxqc.html
    Last edited by myosotis; 18-01-2017 at 12:13 PM.
    'We may not change the world in one day but we still can change some things today, in our small way.'[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 141
    Overall activity: 85.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,440 Times in 1,416 Posts

EDIT: nevermind
    Last edited by HIStoric; Yesterday at 11:45 AM.

Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 443
    Overall activity: 71.0%
    Achievements:
    Three Friends10000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,264 Posts

whatever the case, it came out looking like sh**... whoever they tried to get (if that is true) they went with this.. and for me it's not even the fact Joseph is white that put me over the edge... It's the horrible mockery of him and the way he looked.. there is no way they took it seriously (comedy or not)
    **He lives forever within us**

Overall activity: 38.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger First Class25000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive

Level
    Thanks

Default W

I don't like or watch this show (Wendy Williams), but I'm somewhere where it is on and I have no choice but to hear it. She showed a clip. Apparently Wendy really wants to see this program. She is reporting it like the road trip actually happened and not made up. So I guess its going to be spread by some of her audience & TV viewers that the program is based on a true story. Also she asked her studio audience if they were offended by the actor being white, and it sounded like only 1 or 2 people were and Wendy said she wasn't offended because Mike was "special". Whenever I see Wendy (and TMZ), I always think of this Method Man interview (contains profanity, NSFW).

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DuranDuran For This Useful Post:

Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324