Posthumous albums

Litoria

Proud Member
Please forgive me if this has been asked elsewhere (I am new to the forum). I am just interested as to how you guys feel about Michael's posthumous albums. I can't bring myself to buy/ listen to them, although I did grab a copy of Bad 25 and feel a wee bit guilty for it...

Yes and I used it but couldn't find any similar threads so I apologised in advance. Please don't reply to my first post with sarcasm. That's a bit mean and uncalled for.

You're missing out on some great tracks by not listening. Love Never Felt So Good from the Xscape album is fantastic. My personal feeling is I'm a little mixed. I love new MJ music, however it's a shame that other people have edited them to their satisfaction rather than MJ. It does also keep MJ's legacy going by releasing new music.

Yes and I used it but couldn't find any similar threads so I apologised in advance. Please don't reply to my first post with sarcasm. That's a bit mean and uncalled for.

I did not know that you had already searched, you didn't mention it. besides, you wrote "Please forgive me if this has been asked elsewhere", which indicated to me that you do not know whether this has been asked before or not, and a search would have revealed if it has, and you wouldn't have any doubt that it hasn't been asked before! I actually wasn't being sarcastic, but whatever!

I can't bring myself to buy/ listen to them, although I did grab a copy of Bad 25 and feel a wee bit guilty for it...
You shouldn't feel guilty about buying Bad 25-the demos are fantastic and I wish Michael had finished them!!
I didn't buy Michael or Xscape but that's because I didn't care for what the producers did, but there are 3 songs on the 2 albums that I really love.

The new songs on Bad 25 are demos. I can't think of any reason why someone would not want to listen them. I can understand if someone doesn't want to listen the remixes on Michael and Xscape.

I bought Michael and Xscape, and I think all the songs released are good, but I would like more demos like the ones in Bad 25 to be released, as it feels more like MJ's vision. I hope the next album doesn't remix the demos.

I didn't buy Michael when i 1st heard breaking news...i heard that on the site & im like w.t.f,that's not him, i had remembered that same voice when that 7even bs was arising

I have mixed feelings about the posthumous albums.

These songs were not finished or not good enough for Michael to want them released, so putting them on an album to me feels like they are giving Michael the finger and saying we're releasing them anyway.

I did not buy the Michael album because when I heard Breaking News (I think there was a sample on MichaelJackson.com or something) I felt absolutely disgusted at the fact they would use someone else's vocals on a Michael Jackson album. However I LOVED the XScape album, the songs on there are just great and I like that they put Michael's original versions on the deluxe version of the CD so people can actually hear what Michael created. And even though some songs had already been heard by fans for a long time and others are clearly unfinished demos I think it's great the public get to hear what other amazing music Michael had created during his lifetime.

take each track for it's own piece of work.. you don't listen you are def. missing out.. I wouldn't waist another day never hearing some gems..
There is no reason to feel guilty, Michael himself would listen to any song/track he could get his hands on for creative reasoning's..

Don't worry about it. I can't always find everything. If this has already been discussed a mod wil merge the threads. :)

As others have said Xscape is excellent and well worth a listen. Michael riddled with disgust because of the Cascio tracks is quite good. I recommend Xscape and Best of Joy as songs to listen too.

On the note of unreleased, I will be releasing a package with all of the Bonus Cuts soon. Free, of course. It will provide an easy way for new fans and those who have not seen or heard these songs to experience them. :)

Well, I first had my reservations to it as Michael isn't here anymore to 'perfect' them but I've noticed lately that I still listen to them ( Xscape, Michael, BAD25) and they do bring me 'comfort' :blush: I guess, that is what they are supposed to do, right?

Xscape is outstanding a testament to Michaels talent and his quality control. Michael the album is less so and of course you have the 3 tracks of dubious provenance. Despite there is some good tracks on Michael like Hollywood tonight and I can't make it another day, but there are some fillers too.

Xscape deluxe edition with 17 tracks is an essential purchase. there are 2 versions, deluxe has a gold cover and standard has a single cover. The original versions of the songs on Xscape are better than the 2014 remakes. But on the standard you only get the 8 2014 tracks. Xscape deluxe is essential, but Michael and Xscape standard are only Good albums.

BAD25 is also a great purchase, even if you have Bad or Bad remaster (The original sound and production of BAD was fine anyway, unlike another epic 1987 album by a gifted Black Musician as well (Hint SOTT)), as BAD 25 has the second disc of 8 unreleased songs which are killer and Spanish and French versions of I can't stop loving you (Less essential)

Last edited:
From now on they should release every posthumous album like Xscape.

2-disc version.

disc 1 - updated versions
disc 2 - the original versions !!

I really think that is a great way to do it - the only way actually! - Then we can hear MJ's work, and some contemporized versions. = everyone is happy!

I still hope they re-release Michael with original demo versions as MJ left them! - And maybe take out the Cascio tracks and replace them with Beautiful Girl, We've Had Enough and In The Back (or Cheater)

From now on they should release every posthumous album like Xscape.

2-disc version.

disc 1 - updated versions
disc 2 - the original versions !!

I really think that is a great way to do it - the only way actually! - Then we can hear MJ's work, and some contemporized versions. = everyone is happy!

I still hope they re-release Michael with original demo versions as MJ left them! - And maybe take out the Cascio tracks and replace them with Beautiful Girl, We've Had Enough and In The Back (or Cheater)
I agree with you and it proved that the Estate was paying attention to the criticisms of fans and learned from it.
And I like your idea of the Michael re-issue. It might save that album.

Through the perturbations of posthumous releases, I've deduced a formula for a Michael Jackson collection I'm comfortable to buy:
1. All songs on it have to be authentic Michael Jackson songs in terms of at least vocal performance.
2. Michael Jackson's original songs have to precede any remixes and re-envisions, and those remixes and re-envisions have to be clearly notated as such.

So far, only Bad 25 satisfied this rule, and I still really enjoy that release.

Judging by previous posthumous releases this is my order of stuff I'm interested in.

1. Finished songs (MICHAEL style) + Original versions
2. Contemporized songs (Xscape style) + Original versions
3. Just finished songs (MICHAEL style) without original versions
4. Just contemporized songs (Xscape style) without original versions
5. Just original versions (Bad 25)
6. Remixes (Immortal)

Listen to both albums(skip Monster,Breaking News and Keep your head up since they are the only fake tracks)

Judging by previous posthumous releases this is my order of stuff I'm interested in.

1. Finished songs (MICHAEL style) + Original versions
2. Contemporized songs (Xscape style) + Original versions
3. Just finished songs (MICHAEL style) without original versions
4. Just contemporized songs (Xscape style) without original versions
5. Just original versions (Bad 25)
6. Remixes (Immortal)

And 7. Tracks by other artists attributed to be Michael Jackson, but not him (Like Monster, Breaking news Keep your head up)
8. Complete soundalike bootleg albums (The happy chipmunks sing Michael Jackson)

Well, I first had my reservations to it as Michael isn't here anymore to 'perfect' them but I've noticed lately that I still listen to them ( Xscape, Michael, BAD25) and they do bring me 'comfort' :blush: I guess, that is what they are supposed to do, right?

That has been the main issue (for me) when it comes to posthumous albums, PERIOD. How can anyone know the vision the artist intended for their own work? It took me awhile to accept we'll never get that and that it shouldn't stop the music from being released (so long as it is finished respectfully and tastefully).

The first posthumous album I bought was from Miles Davis (Doo Bop). He was hands-on for all of it until he died prior to its release. That wasn't the case with Mike; unfinished songs were pulled from the vault (or fake) and the rush job release of "Michael" screamed of a cheap money grab to me. They did a better job with presenting "Xscape" and I gave it chance.

Back