Bad tour was last tour........why History tour?

SkyWalk

Proud Member
Ok so the Bad tour was soo epic and perhaps his best tour!!! And finished perfectly in 1989 in LA. Michael says it's his last tour? And would go on to only do one-off specials and film - So what happened? Yes the Dangerous tour happened but that was for the heal the world charity and in the end was a fantastic tour. So why did the History tour happen why did Michael feel he needed to tour especially with his vocal problem? I think he should have only done the HBO special.

Last edited:
Record labels push for a tour.. There's a high probability if things didn't fall through with Sony and Michael we would have had an Invincible tour as well.. (Or a variation of - depending on health)

I'll say this, within the fan community Bad an Dangerous gets more praise but in my personal experience nonfans or new fans enjoy History A LOT... because of the more 'dark' theme which is more of todays styling and the dancing is closer to what todays generation is used to.. More popping, antiquate movements.

I love them all for different reasons, but I am very glad History tour happened.

Record labels push for a tour.. There's a high probability if things didn't fall through with Sony and Michael we would have had an Invincible tour as well.. (Or a variation of - depending on health)

I'll say this, within the fan community Bad an Dangerous gets more praise but in my personal experience nonfans or new fans enjoy History A LOT... because of the more 'dark' theme which is more of todays styling and the dancing is closer to what todays generation is used to.. More popping, antiquate movements.

I love them all for different reasons, but I am very glad History tour happened.

I try to avoid watching HIStory footage because he is clearly going through the motions and lip synching for 90% of it and while his movements are slick, he doesn't seem in top form in any footage I have viewed.

Well... Michael was right when he said this is going to be my last tour. He never toured again in the States. Except for the Hawaii concerts during the HIStory tour. I wonder why he only performed there and not on the main land?

HIStory tour would be perfect if he performed more songs live. But we've had this discussion more than often...

Last edited:
I don't want this to be a History tour was not good thread. It's more of why did Michael bother to tour again when he was soo certain Bad tour was his last because he wanted to do film. He didn't need to promote and tour with History it was massive as an album alone and with the HBO special / Ghosts short film that would have been job done.

I agree. please don't turn this into another "HIStory Tour bashing" thread :rolleyes:

in the Private Home Movies he explains everything about touring?
if you haven't seen it, here's the clip he talks about it, and why he did it and how he feel about it. starts at 1.44

Last edited:
While I'm really glad that Michael did end up touring after the Bad tour, it always makes me a little sad to think about how much touring would have (presumably) affected both his mental and physical health. But I suppose that's just what happens when a perfectionist tries to outdo themselves. He just wanted to go bigger and better.

He changed his mind. Or never really was going to stop touring. It probably just what he felt in the moment.
Sitting around for a few years on a break will do that to you.
Also, when you a label is throwing all this money at you to promote your album, you're damn right they want you to promote the album on the road.

Lol at the idea that he did the Dangerous tour only for the sake of a charity.

I guess he hated and loved touring at the same time.
He probably hated the physically demanding part and the sleeping problems when travelling through different time zones etc.
But on the other hand he probably loved to go out to his fans, and, most importantly, understood that an international tour always generates tons of media coverage which boosts album sales, which was always his main goal - to be successful.

When exactly in the 80s did he say BAD would be his last tour? Probably towards the end? :)
Also one thing is for sure, it does not hurt ticket sales when a tour by a giant like Michael Jackson is promoted as "the last". :)

Last edited:
I hated touring, but he loved performing. Which is why This Is It would have been perfect for him

http://youtu.be/El0tF3vYWL4

How do I embed this link?

Last edited:
clcik on the "insert video" icon. it has to be the link from the url bar...

Because he loved his fans so much. And he wanted to show that he could still sell out stadiums across the world after the allegations, he knew he had many fans that supported him, so he wanted to give them the chance to see him. That's how he was, he had a good heart.

Didn't Michael end up funding the tour himself?

AtlasAir;4126121 said:
Lol at the idea that he did the Dangerous tour only for the sake of a charity.

Exactly!

Although charity reasons were also behind the ‘Dangerous’ Tour (for example, he chose to film & end the first leg in Bucharest for symbolic reasons – the abundance of orphanages that exist there –), to think that he toured only for charity reasons sounds naïve.

He was a professional artist & he wanted to boost even further the sales of his latest album (‘Dangerous’) achieving, in that way, bigger fame/commercial success. For me, it made perfect sense.

And what artist/bands haven't said they're retiring and then they come back years later (excluding ones with health issues).

Back