30 Years of BAD: 1987 - 2017

MikeFann

Proud Member
2017 will mark the 30th anniversary of Michael Jackson's 1987 hit album BAD! Now, I'm thinking since they already released something big for the 25th anniversary, I can't help but wonder if they will actually bother doing something for next year. I'm hoping they'll finally release more demos and unreleased songs or maybe behind the scenes home movies. Only time will tell...

why would they do that, they've not done it for any of his other albums' 30th anniversary, Off The Wall and Thriller? so why this one? we already got an anniversary release for this album, I don't see why they would do more than one for the same album, since they've not done it with the others?

I'm hoping they'll finally release more demos

I don't see any big release coming for Bad in 2017. They have done that in 2012 and it didn't sell well, so why would they put any more effort into Bad for 2017? And I guess whatever usable demos they had for Bad it was used on Bad 25.

In a perfect world we'd finally get BAD Tour 1988 or 1989 on Blu Ray. But that would be wishful thinking

why would they do that, they've not done it for any of his other albums' 30th anniversary, Off The Wall and Thriller? so why this one? we already got an anniversary release for this album, I don't see why they would do more than one for the same album, since they've not done it with the others?
Yea. Not to be rude by far but it would be a stupid move for the estate to do that. He has much more material than the bad album. Bad had its time to shine.let the other albums see this generation

You all make good points; I also doubted they would do something for the 30th anniversary of Bad but then, that was me wondering just what IF they would. At the end of the day, it's up to them do decide what they wish to do.

Absolutely nothing will be released regarding BAD30 IMO...

Maybe a Facebook and Twitter update - but that's it...

2017 will be the year the release an all new MJ album I think. Like Xscape. - I am looking forward to it, I just hope songs do not leak before they gets released.

Not really, because they did so much for BAD25 and even back in 2001 with the Remastered Bad album. How much more can you remaster the album. The sound quality of the album is already excellent.

Maybe a gimmick like a Michael Jackson, BAD singstar?

I think they will just keep up the 25 series like Dangerous 25 this year, History25 in 2020 and Invincible 25 in 2026, and then 3 years later we will have Off the wall 50.

If anything there may be a Jackson5 50th anniversary thing in 2018 or 2019 (2018 when "I'm a Big Boy/Jam session" was released, 2019 when "I want you back" was released). As both songs prominently feature Michael Jackson's vocals, it will be tied into a Michael Jackson release, perhaps of a series of definitive collections and box sets covering his vocals from 1968 up to his death and after.

Would like to see a Blu-Ray release of the BAD World Tour, i asked Alicia and she told me the estate know how much we desire this. It doesn't need to be promoted as an anniversary type release, although we all know this would be 30 years after the tour started... hopes are low of course.

I don't see any big release coming for Bad in 2017. They have done that in 2012 and it didn't sell well, so why would they put any more effort into Bad for 2017? And I guess whatever usable demos they had for Bad it was used on Bad 25.

How much did Bad 25 sell? Was it that bad?

How much did Bad 25 sell? Was it that bad?

We talked about this a little in the Spike Lee Off The Wall docu thread so let me bring here the relevant parts:

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by ivy

just as a sales reference point though. I think Michael sold 600,000 in USA and they were targeting 200,000 with Bad 25. To me it seemed like a reasonable expectation.

So the Estate/Sony targeted selling 200,000 copies of Bad 25 in the US but they failed to achieve that goal. It sold 47,000 copies in the first week, according to Wikipedia. I don't have any more numbers for the following weeks, but I guess it hardly went above 100,000 eventually.

Now, like I pointed out in that thread the original Bad album is actually a pretty good seller every year. In 2015 it sold 143,000 copies in the US, being the #23 best selling catalog album of the year. MJ has three more albums that regularly chart (Thriller, Number Ones and Essential) and purely on catalog album sales he sold about 600,000 copies, making him one of the best selling, if not THE best selling, catalog artists.

I further wrote in that thread:

So if the expectation for Bad 25 was selling 200,000 copies and they did not reach that goal and meanwhile they manage to sell 143,000 copies of the original album while doing nothing, investing nothing in it then - from a commercial POV - it's understandable that they will not do anything for OTW. And then this probably means they will do nothing for Dangerous and any of the other albums either. Although I think sometimes they (at least the Estate) should consider other than commercial factors

The general public is still very much interested in MJ's music as his great catalog sales show, but they are interested in the original albums, not demos and stuff like that. That is hard core fan stuff which seems to have much less sales potential than the original albums which do appeal to the general public.

Back