The "one of my friends had to die" in Privacy

Petarkco

Proud Member
This might sound like a stupid question but I did a search and it hasn't been discussed before.

Who is the "friend" who died that Michael mentions in Privacy? My best guess is Princess Diana but I'm not 100% sure.

Taking into account the period of time it was recorded, it can very well mean Princess Diana. We know how shocked and heartbroken he felt when she died.

I always thought Diana, but the line "on that cold winter's night, my pride was slashed away" kind of goes against that, seeing as she died in August.

This "winter night" could actually be a clever way of describing how cold the world felt after finding out though, which is my theory.

I always thought Diana, but the line "on that cold winter's night, my pride was slashed away" kind of goes against that, seeing as she died in August.

There was a theory that by "cold winter night" when his "pride was snatched away," he meant the day of the strip search, which happened in December 1993 (if I remember correctly). Those lines are sequenced in a weird manner, hard to say for sure.

There was a theory that by "cold winter night" when his "pride was snatched away," he meant the day of the strip search, which happened in December 1993 (if I remember correctly). Those lines are sequenced in a weird manner, hard to say for sure.

Yes, this is what i believe too

I've always thought that the "on a cold winter night" part was something he wrote to make it more gloomy....remember when he was asked in that Barbara Walters how he heard about Diana's death? he says he woke up and his doctor gave him the news and he fell back down in grief? so he just woke up, so I assume it was in the morning when he found out? which means his pride wasn't snatched away on a "cold winter night". what sounds more dramatic, a cold winter night or a sunny morning?

Back