Dan Beck On Marketing Michael Jackson - Michael Jackson manufactured "King of Pop"

ILoveHIStory

Proud Member
In this interview, Dan Beck discusses the difficulties he experienced as part of Michael Jackson's marketing team during a time when the 'King of Pop' began to go off the rails.

6a00d83451b36c69e201b8d1936dd5970c-320wi

When Michael Jackson declared himself the "King of Pop," Dan Beck fought it. Beck was an executive at Epic Records who was part of Jackson's marketing efforts in the '90s, a time when his bizarre behavior was overshadowing his talent. By the time the HIStory album was released in 1995 (Beck came up with the title), Jackson was both the biggest star on the planet and the most scandalous.

In his decades working in the music industry, Beck pulled the levers that shaped the trends (he takes credit and blame for the Lambada) and made the hits. These days, he's doing some songwriting, most recently for the Gary Lucas & Jann Klose album Stereopticon.

We spoke with Dan about some of his behind-the-scenes adventures in the industry, including how Jackson crowned himself "King of Pop."

----------

Carl Wiser (Songfacts): You've had a very interesting career. You were working on the Michael Jackson HIStory album at a time when he was clearly coming unhinged, and you were in charge of the marketing. How did you handle that?

Dan Beck: It was unbelievable, really Carl. Everything changed all the way along. You think you're in charge but you're really not. More and more things would happen and it was just a really, really challenging experience and I was very concerned that the album would come out and it would just be the absolute biggest disaster in the history of the music industry... and it had my name on it.

When I started working with him on the Dangerous album [released in 1991], we were still thinking about how we could rehabilitate his career. He did the Super Bowl halftime and he did the Oprah interview at the ranch, and there were all kinds of really good things going on, but it just started to slide downward. And it's frightening to work with such a magnificent career and see it crumbling. It was just a sad situation and a very intense time.

Carl: In that very last documentary that Jackson did, it becomes clear he's very strong-willed. So, if he would make a decision, he was going to push that through pretty much no matter what. Is that what happened when you were doing the work on these albums?

Dan: It was a culmination of things. If Michael got things in his head, they became very fixed and he was very focused to move forward. A lot of what we tried to do was to establish a perspective and reasons to do things before he would get positioned on it. He was very open-minded to those kinds of ideas when he didn't have something fixed in his head, and I thought he was a wonderful collaborator in the sense that he always appreciated ideas and was very thoughtful. That's why so many really talented people liked to work with him - from Quincy to the choreographers to the video directors, the big names that were involved through his career - because in that collaborative effort he was just a pleasure to work with.

Carl: The other thing that really surprises me about the guy is that he was such a wonderful songwriter, and it seems like you need to have some kind of grounded life experience to write these really relatable songs. Jackson was born in a bubble, yet he was still able to write songs that moved ordinary people.

Dan: Very much so. I was around him when he was in the studio, and he was never particularly a musician in the technical sense - he was a guy with ideas in his head and he would interpret them through musicians. But I think so much of songwriting comes from isolation. Even as a child performer he had a lot of isolated time where he wasn't like everybody else, and I think that's why he became such a good writer. He was also a student of the whole business and I think that is part of it too.

There are people who overwhelm you with what they have contributed creatively, whether it's John Lennon or Kris Kristofferson, and I think Michael was inspired that way.

Carl: Did you have any musical training?

Dan: I played piano but I was not technically very good. I started trying to write songs - simple chords and that sort of thing - early on, and then I had a passion for writing lyrics and decided to collaborate and write with other people. I wrote a lot of lyrics initially with my own melodies in my head, and if I ever used those with people I generally didn't tell them what my melody was, because my hope was that they would come up with something that exceeded my own idea, and that's usually what happened. But I had a sense of meter that really helped when I collaborated.

But I was not a very good musician and I thought I was going to hold myself back as a writer if I tried to do the music as well.

+

Dan: You're not looking for the ultimate tag. Maybe you're coming up with something for an advertising campaign for the record or something to give some definition.

People say, "Oh, that's a combination of such-and-such a band and..." Why? Because it just seems that people need some direction - they need something to hang their hat on: "What kind of band is that?" So, we get into these descriptions. I think it's rare that it just really works. Michael Jackson manufactured "King of Pop," and believe me, we were trying to talk him out of it.

Carl: Why did you try to talk him out of it?

Dan: Well, our feeling was that radio was going to just roll their eyes and say, "Screw you!"

This was around the time of Dangerous, the late '80s and beginning of the '90s, and here was a guy that the tabloids were starting to talk about his skin color, they were starting to talk about the plastic surgery and the Elephant Man and the hyperbaric chamber – I guess those were probably the first four aspects of Michael starting to take hits in the media.

A lot of people in the media were unhappy with Michael because he didn't talk to them and Frank DiLeo [Jackson's manager] essentially kept him away from the press, I think with good reason because Michael only had so much to say and he also was a very vulnerable guy. He wasn't media savvy in the way of sitting down with a journalist and really having that engaging conversation. He was just too much in a bubble.

Frank kept him away, so with all the success that he had there were some media people who were very frustrated that they couldn't talk to him. So, when things started to crack and there were more odd entities in his life, it started to turn negative.

Well, now, Michael starts to evolve the idea of "King of Pop" and he passes that along to his new manager, Sandy Gallin, who starts presenting this idea that we're going to call Michael "King of Pop." At Epic, we were saying, "Sandy, stop, please. This is going to hurt him and we could have people turn against us."

Were we over-concerned? Probably. We were all trying to make our own lives simpler. In the meantime, if you look back on the whole thing, he did become "King of Pop." I guess in immortality he established it and maybe he was working on that while he was alive.

Carl: Yeah, and Michael Jackson's an artist that you don't need to have out there promoting his new album because it's a news event in and of itself, but most artists aren't like that. And some artists will promote themselves relentlessly, which in the '80s and '90s was this dog and pony show where you'd have to go to all the radio stations and play their silly events and do the meet-and-greets. The Barenaked Ladies would suck it up and do it, hit every town, whereas other acts would just have complete disdain for this [remember the Primitive Radio Gods?]. Did you encounter any acts that were one way or the other and see how it affected their careers?

Dan: Well, we encouraged artists to get involved, to do the stuff they needed to do to ingratiate themselves with the market. You didn't want an act to be out there begging, since that was a bad image. But a hardworking act that knew how to say thank you and was interesting to speak with was a huge plus. We would sit down and evaluate the pros and cons of an artist. We certainly worked with acts who weren't good interviews or weren't good live: "Let's make a great video and keep them off the road!"

We think of Living Colour breaking from the "Cult of Personality" video on MTV. We actually shot a video before that [for "Middle Man"] which floundered, and the band went on the road and built enough momentum going that I was able to go back in and ask my boss if we could try doing another video. So, it was their live thing that actually saved us in terms of marketing, and the video exploded but the fact was it was the band playing New Haven and Albany and Poughkeepsie - that's why the band succeeded.

So, it was really looking for that "thing." Some acts in the meet-and-greets would just overwhelm people with how good they were at it, so we'd do that in every city we could.

-----------------

MORE OF THIS INTERVIEW HERE - http://www.hypebot.com/hypebot/2016...ml#comment-6a00d83451b36c69e201bb08af7ff2970d

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE

This is a reply of Dan Beck to my comment on the hypebot article/interview through Facebook accounts :

https://www.facebook.com/dan.beck1

Dan Beck said...
Hi Brandon,

I saw your post in response to the SongFacts interview re-printed in Hypebot. You are abslutely right, and I referenced it wrong in the article. Michael's management wished to perpetuate create a campaign for the title and that's what we were concerned with at the time. The media was turning on Michael, and we thought pushing that titled could strength the media backlash. My comment in this article was too short-cut and not a clear version of the story or what I intended to present.
Ultimately, what I had hoped to convey was that in the end, he was right, and that those of us who fretted over these issues with him, were ultimately over-protective. I always saw that our taking issue was ironic, as he took those risks and succeeded, which is what a legendary entertainer does.
I hope that brings greater clarity to the issue. I have the deepest respect and appreciation for Michael's talent and the enormously challenging life that he lived. I had the honor of working with Michael for several years. I thought the article was going to be one strictly about songwriting, so I perhaps let down my guard when it turned into so many questions about Michael. Unfortunately, anything that is said about MJ sadly seems to be a source of clickbait. I blame myself.
Sincerely,
Dan Beck

PS: I tried to stop the re-printing of this story because of your point. The "King of Pop" issue was an old story and for it to be a headline now is ridiculous. I got toalked out of stopping it. That was another mistake. It's horrible to have that out there. But again, I can only blame myself.

+

The second reply from Dan Beck on FB

Brandon, One other important point that I would like to make clear.

I have never made a penny from any media coverage of Michael. When I gave Michael the concept idea for the HIStory album, he wrote a song using the concept. I was asked if I wanted a songwriting credit and royalties, which I turned down, because I thought too many people were taking too many pieces from Michael.

I have only spoken to the media a couple of times since Michael has passed, including to Spike Lee for the upcoming Showtime documentary. Frankly, I am concerned about that too, as we talked on camera for 90 minutes, but I know that I'm probably in the film for mere seconds. What seconds are used and in what context is totally out of my control. This is a film that I was asked to help source other participants, which I did without a fee.

You don't need to have this information made public, but since your comments suggested that I sold my comments to the media, as bad as that makes me look, I just wanted to make sure you knew that is not the case.

Last edited:
Michael Jackson HAD NEVER CALLED, "MANIFACTURED" or SELF-PROCLEIMED or CROWNED himself the KING OF POP.

The VERY FIRST TIME that the title KING OF POP ever APPEARED was on February 8, 1984.

New York Post reported about the Pepsi accident and called Michael Jackson - THE NEW KING OF POP!

Here is the PROOF -
0eb02ed41a184d79b22e2e8c0a6ad74f.jpg

IT WAS IN 1984, long before anything what that Dan Back was ever able to do for MJ and completely didnt get the point of this "marketing".

Why all these people and so.called friends who had ever been around him are such TRAITORS living off the work with him and selling the stupid and twisted stories?

YES, Michael Jackson has been the King Of Pop since the Thriller era (when all the mags caled him from King of Music, King of Sales to King of Pop, and even fans on the BAD tour were holding banners with King Of Pop) and still he is, unbeatable today and for a very long time he will be.
WHY?

Because there is still no artist who could be at least as much successful (commercially), popular and famous globally, on all continents around the world as Michael Jackson, even in this digital era.

Selling these kinds of BS stories about MJ is pathetic as for the FACTS from the past that DAN BACK is evidently NOT aware of!

Yes, Michael Jackson could afford to call himself the King of pop, because in 1991 he was the undisputed king in the music BIZ.

I personally would never hire as a marketing guy such a person as DAN who sells the "behind the scenes" BS stories.

He should listent to the MONEY song from that HIStory album first.

^The fact that the New York Post called Michael 'King of Pop' in 1984, or that Elizabeth Taylor or whoever else did later on, does not mean that Michael didn't consciously decide to run with the nickname at some point in the late 80s/early 90s and start using it as part of his branding/marketing. Does it really make a difference anyway? It's not like it's an official title that was bestowed upon him. It's just a nickname.

^The fact that the New York Post called Michael 'King of Pop' in 1984, or that Elizabeth Taylor or whoever else did later on, does not mean that Michael didn't consciously decide to run with the nickname at some point in the late 80s/early 90s and start using it as part of his branding/marketing. Does it really make a difference anyway? It's not like it's an official title that was bestowed upon him. It's just a nickname.

But the thing is that the media and some "journalists" try to suggest the idea to the people/the readers that it was MJ who self.proclaimed the king of pop, which is not true!

If he had seen that article, he could have got the idea of the King of pop from that article, or took it from Liz Taylor, but he DID NOT -SELF.PROCLAIMED.

I think its a huge difference to self.proclaim and to manufacture.

Anyway, all of you can use the copy of this article and spread it to discussions on the net.

and btw, didnt Elvis use some accessories with the KING logo? rings or belts?

^I agree SoCav. Even though I cringed at always reading the 'self proclaimed King of Pop' (and that disclaimer has finally pretty much disappeared) there's nothing wrong about using the title in marketing no matter where it started.
Read an interesting article by him regarding putting together the DVD for the Dangerous short films. Something that seems like it would be a fairly small project turned into a team of people working non-stop for almost 2 years. Michael had extremely high standards for that and every project.

I pulled it up again and watched the part about the panther sequence in Black or White.
I had to laugh. If you weren't one of the 60 million people watching the premiere and witnessed the outrage at the time, they had a great montage of all the news outlets around the world talking about it the next day.
Michael made sure everybody was talking about him and it was a masterful move.

What it comes down to is... ITS TOO LATE TO CLAIM "ROYALYIES" FOR A
"KING OF POP" TITLE... as if there is nothing better to talk about...
give it up ppl....

"A lot of people in the media were unhappy with Michael because he didn't talk to them and Frank DiLeo [Jackson's manager] essentially kept him away from the press, I think with good reason because Michael only had so much to say and he also was a very vulnerable guy. He wasn't media savvy in the way of sitting down with a journalist and really having that engaging conversation. He was just too much in a bubble.

Frank kept him away, so with all the success that he had there were some media people who were very frustrated that they couldn't talk to him. So, when things started to crack and there were more odd entities in his life, it started to turn negative"

THIS!

^I agree SoCav. Even though I cringed at always reading the 'self proclaimed King of Pop' (and that disclaimer has finally pretty much disappeared) there's nothing wrong about using the title in marketing no matter where it started.
Read an interesting article by him regarding putting together the DVD for the Dangerous short films. Something that seems like it would be a fairly small project turned into a team of people working non-stop for almost 2 years. Michael had extremely high standards for that and every project.

I pulled it up again and watched the part about the panther sequence in Black or White.
I had to laugh. If you weren't one of the 60 million people watching the premiere and witnessed the outrage at the time, they had a great montage of all the news outlets around the world talking about it the next day.
Michael made sure everybody was talking about him and it was a masterful move.
he did that a lot, and then pretended he was shocked when he got negative attention for it. it's so amusing to me, he was absolutely an intelligent genius....a "real" showman, if there ever was one!

Ive always thought one of the reasons the media hated him so much was his refusal to play their game and give interviews,talk to them. The media are like spoilt brats. Dont get their eay they have hissy fits and decide to get their own back

UPDATE

This is a reply of Dan Beck to my comment on the hypebot article/interview through Facebook accounts :

https://www.facebook.com/dan.beck1

Dan Beck said...
Hi Brandon,

I saw your post in response to the SongFacts interview re-printed in Hypebot. You are abslutely right, and I referenced it wrong in the article. Michael's management wished to perpetuate create a campaign for the title and that's what we were concerned with at the time. The media was turning on Michael, and we thought pushing that titled could strength the media backlash. My comment in this article was too short-cut and not a clear version of the story or what I intended to present.
Ultimately, what I had hoped to convey was that in the end, he was right, and that those of us who fretted over these issues with him, were ultimately over-protective. I always saw that our taking issue was ironic, as he took those risks and succeeded, which is what a legendary entertainer does.
I hope that brings greater clarity to the issue. I have the deepest respect and appreciation for Michael's talent and the enormously challenging life that he lived. I had the honor of working with Michael for several years. I thought the article was going to be one strictly about songwriting, so I perhaps let down my guard when it turned into so many questions about Michael. Unfortunately, anything that is said about MJ sadly seems to be a source of clickbait. I blame myself.
Sincerely,
Dan Beck

PS: I tried to stop the re-printing of this story because of your point. The "King of Pop" issue was an old story and for it to be a headline now is ridiculous. I got toalked out of stopping it. That was another mistake. It's horrible to have that out there. But again, I can only blame myself.

^^I much prefer the term 'challenging life' than living in a bubble. Bubble makes it sound like someone who is so overprotected instead of the microscope it really was.
Whenever I read these stories about the media getting upset over Michael not talking to them, and making up their own stories, I think of Al Sharpton: "Nothing strange about your daddy. It was strange what your daddy had to deal with."
Amen.

^^I much prefer the term 'challenging life' than living in a bubble. Bubble makes it sound like someone who is so overprotected instead of the microscope it really was.
Whenever I read these stories about the media getting upset over Michael not talking to them, and making up their own stories, I think of Al Sharpton: "Nothing strange about your daddy. It was strange what your daddy had to deal with."
Amen.

anyway, here we can see that to fight for MJ and the right things (my response to the article about the KOP title) is worth it.

It was nice to read this : he was such a wonderful songwriter

he did that a lot, and then pretended he was shocked when he got negative attention for it. it's so amusing to me, he was absolutely an intelligent genius....a "real" showman, if there ever was one!
Definitely. He already had all my love and admiration, but I got quite smug satisfaction with stuff like this or the History statue or especially the controversial History trailer.

anyway, here we can see that to fight for MJ and the right things (my response to the article about the KOP title) is worth it.
and I'm glad you did. I enjoyed the article. I took way more exception to the reporters remarks about Michael becoming "unhinged" or going "off the rails".

I really like this Dan Beck guy. I've read an article and this interview from him so far and both have provided great perspective on Michael's m.o. and his relationship with the record label in the 90s. (If you haven't read his article about History album name, here it is: http://musicbizfizz.tumblr.com/post/676713319/living-history.)

As to the "King of Pop" title, it was Michael's creation in the marketing sense. Yes, he probably picked it from Elizabeth Taylor's speech in the late 80s, but he was the one who perpetuated it and made it stick. It has long been confirmed by Bob Jones (in his book), John Branca (in IMMORTAL documentary), Dangerous tour promoters and radio DJs who were instructed by MJ's PR team to use the title in the 90s (in a few published memoirs after his passing), and now by Beck. That does not in any way diminish his accomplishments as an artist or a savvy marketer - if anything, it elevates them. And it's really sad that he got singled out as "self-proclaimed," as I'm sure Elvis and Springsteen also made good use of their titles for marketing purposes. Michael just wasn't favored by the media, so they used his marketing tactics as another excuse to pick on him. But you know what? I'm sure 50 years from now all those journalists with their snide articles will be long gone, and the KOP title will remain.

He might not have coined the term, but he damn sure ran with it.

He ceratainly liked the title and used it for PR.

However, I have no idea why the media acts like he was the only one doing such things (ie. the media mocking him as "self-proclaimed") and I think the issue here is a bit more than who came up with some vanity title. I am sure the media is in cohorts with other celebs as well in order to create good PR and hype for them and I am sure some of the journalists get paid by record companies and artists to praise certain artists. So to me the media to call out only Michael Jackson on such PR stunts (while most certainly they do such things for other celebs - and they know damn well that this is how the industry generally works, it's a symbiosis between artists and the media) is just hypocritical.

The issue here is IMO that MJ had to ALWAYS fight for the media giving him his due credit. Since Off the Wall when white music magazines refused to put him on the cover, while having one of the most successful and best albums of the year or when the Grammys overlooked him. For him to get his due credit he had to make the biggest selling album of all times. While mediocre white artists got hyped to heavens for much less.

So to me this whole KoP thing is a case of "I had to tell them I ain't second to none". And he was right in telling them. His KoP title is hardly debatable while you could debate more, for example, who the Queen of Pop is. But Michael is so alone on the top in this category, that it's not even questionable if he is deserving to be called the King of Pop. He has the impact, popularity, longevity - all the elements that are IMO needed to be the King of Pop. And I can't think of anyone else who is up there with him in ALL of these areas.

Jesus christ. If I went out tomorrow and made THE BIGGEST SELLING ALBUM OF ALL TIME I would probably call myself a God. Like the literal second coming of God. I think MJ was being modest if he even did come up with it/decide to push it forward as his moniker.

Even though he might have wanted to self-promote using the title, to call him "self-proclaimed" King of Pop is still completely factually wrong. It's as simple as: MJ sees media calling him the KoP after the huge success of 'Thriller', and decides to adopt it as an official moniker.

And it's really sad that he got singled out as "self-proclaimed," as I'm sure Elvis and Springsteen also made good use of their titles for marketing purposes. Michael just wasn't favored by the media, so they used his marketing tactics as another excuse to pick on him. But you know what? I'm sure 50 years from now all those journalists with their snide articles will be long gone, and the KOP title will remain.
And it's not even taking 50 years. I used to feel nothing but irritation whenever I saw or read anything about Michael and it was always "self proclaimed". Always.

Somewhere around early 2010 that just started disappearing.
I think the public reaction to Michael's death so freaked out the media that they just gave that up. And realized everyone did see him as the King of Pop.
You see KOP all the time now and no one forces them to say it. If I ever see self proclaimed, I can be certain the article was written in 2009 or before.

Brandon, One other important point that I would like to make clear.

I have never made a penny from any media coverage of Michael. When I gave Michael the concept idea for the HIStory album, he wrote a song using the concept. I was asked if I wanted a songwriting credit and royalties, which I turned down, because I thought too many people were taking too many pieces from Michael.

I have only spoken to the media a couple of times since Michael has passed, including to Spike Lee for the upcoming Showtime documentary. Frankly, I am concerned about that too, as we talked on camera for 90 minutes, but I know that I'm probably in the film for mere seconds. What seconds are used and in what context is totally out of my control. This is a film that I was asked to help source other participants, which I did without a fee.

You don't need to have this information made public, but since your comments suggested that I sold my comments to the media, as bad as that makes me look, I just wanted to make sure you knew that is not the case.

I don`t think he has to be concerned about manipulating editing in the Spike Lee-docu.

titles

As to the "King of Pop" title, it was Michael's creation in the marketing sense. Yes, he probably picked it from Elizabeth Taylor's speech in the late 80s, but he was the one who perpetuated it and made it stick. It has long been confirmed by Bob Jones (in his book), John Branca (in IMMORTAL documentary), Dangerous tour promoters and radio DJs who were instructed by MJ's PR team to use the title in the 90s (in a few published memoirs after his passing), and now by Beck. That does not in any way diminish his accomplishments as an artist or a savvy marketer - if anything, it elevates them. And it's really sad that he got singled out as "self-proclaimed," as I'm sure Elvis and Springsteen also made good use of their titles for marketing purposes. Michael just wasn't favored by the media, so they used his marketing tactics as another excuse to pick on him. But you know what? I'm sure 50 years from now all those journalists with their snide articles will be long gone, and the KOP title will remain.
Elvis did not like the "King Of Rock n Roll" title. He would tell people that Jesus Christ was the king. He has also said the Fats Domino was king. Elvis did use the logo TCB (taking care of business) and had it on jewelry. Now James Brown was the one to come up with many titles:

Soul Brother #1
Minister Of New New Super Heavy Funk
Mr. Dynamite
Godfather Of Soul
The Original Disco Man
Hardest Working Man In Show Business

Some quotes from Dan Beck from a article one day after Michaels death

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2009/06/26/he-became-too-much-too-large-to-top-himself/

“He Became Too Much, Too Large to Top Himself”

By Susan Toepfer

“I always felt he would never be an old man.”—Dan Beck, managing partner, Big Honcho Media

“He was always about the Big Dream,” says Beck, who came up with the idea for Jackson’s 1995 ‘HIStory, “the Fantasy of it all. I remember Michael walking into a meeting for ‘HIStory’ and saying, ‘I see this album selling 100 million copies.’ The room stopped. It was like, ‘He’s out of his mind.’ But he just looked at us and said, ‘No one ever thought I could sell 44 million. Why can’t we imagine 100 million?”

As the years went on, and Michael was seen increasingly with children, the question became: Is he a pedophile—or simply a childlike, asexual freak? “That was the big debate among people in the business,” Dan Beck says. “When the rumors started, I would tell him, ‘Michael you need to address this.’ But he didn’t. He wouldn’t. His attitude was, it’s the media versus me.”

His father Joe was notoriously overbearing. “One night, out of the blue, Michael asked me about my father,” Beck says. “I talked a little about how he wasn’t perfect, but I respected him, and he nodded and indicated he never had that. Then he said, ‘Say hello to your dad for me.’ The next time I saw my father, I told him, ‘Oh, by the way, Michael Jackson said to say hello to you.’ My dad just looked at me.”

“The hearsay was always that he was trying not to look like his father,” says Beck. “But the plastic surgery was also part of his competitive thing with himself, to get bigger and better. He also had the skin disease. That might have been the seed that started it.”

Rail-thin, Jackson might have had an eating disorder as well. “He was frail and didn’t eat right. He ate, like, broth,” says Beck. “That’s all I’d see him eat.” Sometimes, perhaps, to get out of performing. “He had an HBO show scheduled live at the Beacon and he was not ready. I knew he didn’t want to do it. So he got himself sick. He made himself sick to get out of it.”

We may never know if this final sickness, whichever drugs or treatments helped propel Jackson to his too-early end, were consumed in part to avoid his much-promoted Comeback Concert.

“He never competed with other artists,” says Beck. “Michael only competed with himself. It ultimately became too much, too large, to top himself.”

Back