Best songs for opening and closing the concerts

MJInTheMirror

Proud Member
What do you think is the best song for opening a concert? Michael used the following songs to open: Dancing Machine, Can You Feel It, Wanna Be Startin' Somethin', Jam and Scream. (and probably more that I'm forgetting)
I think Jam and WBSS are amazing songs and have a fast pace (as well as Scream), but I think Jam is a stronger song and I loved the explotions in the performance of the song in the Dangerous Tour, and that's why I think Jam is the best song for opening a concert, but WBSS and Scream are amazing too.
As far as closing a concert, Michael has used Shake Your Body, Bad, Man In The Mirror, Heal the World and History (probably another one that i'm forgetting)
I think Man In The Mirror had a great feel and the performance was perfect, there isn't a better song to close a show from my opinion.
So, what are the best songs for opening and closing the shows?

For the entrance, I don't think there will ever be a more spectacular one than Michael did on Dangerous tour. However, I'm a huge fan of the opening medley of the HIStory tour (Scream/TDCAU/In The Closet). So that choice goes to HIStory tour in this case because you asked for the song not the entrance as a whole. :)
As closing song I'd also go for Man In The Mirror, too. Can't decide between BAD tour and Dangerous tour, so that's a tie. With Shake Your Body (Down to the Ground) on Victory tour as a close second place.

Best opening - Jam and Wanna Be Startin Somethin
Best closing - Man In The Mirror. This isn't even debatable

Best opening - Jam and Wanna Be Startin Somethin
Best closing - Man In The Mirror. This isn't even debatable

This pretty much. Especially Jam for opening. Best opening I've ever seen by any artist.

For This Is It Michael was going to open with Wanna Be Startin Somethin, and then Jam was going to be the second song. That would have felt strange, because I'm so used to it being the other way around

The first time I really liked Jam as a opener was when I watched the Bremen concert. I find it boring in Bucharest. Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' is the best.

The toaster opening is definitely the most spectacular, but after the first couple of bars of Jam it always falls kinda flat imo. Not sure exactly what it is... the song kicks ass and is well-suited as an opener, the dancing is great. Maybe it's the lipsyncing and the fact that I do not like the live arrangement that much (though 1993 was better). The funkier and rawer version that the This Is It band played would have been awesome to hear. But apart from the spectacular toaster opening, I thought Wanna Be Startin Something and Can You Feel It were nicer.

My favourite closer was definitely Man in the Mirror.

Best opening track:

Anything else in comparison to ‘Jam’ as an opening act automatically looks less thrilling. Also, although I can understand some issues that are being brought up in regard to the way that was performed, I do not think that they are strong enough to distract from its effectiveness as an opening song/act.

Best closing track:

I think there is always room for a little bit of laxity during a concert, especially at the end of it. This serves, also, as an optimistic & carefree way to say farewell to the audience that came to see the concert. In this sense, ‘Shake Your Body’ with all those vocal/dance improvisations performed its duties perfectly.

'Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' is the best starter. It's in the title.

'MItM' doesn't have much competition, as it was the closer for Bad, Dangerous, and TII.

I think that WBSS was the best opening number he ACTUALLY did, but I've always been yearning for him to open a concert with "Unbreakable". When the This Is It concerts were first announced and before he passed away, it was rumored for a while that Unbreakable would be the opening number for the concerts, but it eventually turned out to be WBSS. I have no problem with that, but wouldn't have been so incredible for Michael's first concert in years (and first concert since the trial) to begin with "Unbreakable"? It would have been so appropriate/awesome to start off each of his comeback shows with "You'll never break me, 'cause I'm unbreakable!"

"Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'" I believe is the best for opening because I get cravings for the Bad Tour Opening which makes me wanna see more and more of the same opening like with Rome, Wembley, Tokyo and so on with the legs doing moonwalk, then spins and flashing as the sound blasts before Michael comes on to perform. That opening is pretty much exciting for me.

"Man In The Mirror" hands down for the closing. No doubt. True closing.

Best Opening - Jam and Scream

Best Closing - Man In The Mirror, I also agree that it was the perfect closing song for Michael.

Best opening : Jam. Very powerful intro and message in the song
Best closing : MITM. MJ at his peak.

I like

Opening Jams WBSS
Closing Man In The Mirror for sure love the one on the Bucharest concert

Start: Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'
End: Man in the Mirror

I think 2,000 Watts would have made a good opening

Breaking News would be better

mjeyebrows.gif~c200

I see Jam as the greatest opening !
And of course, Man In The Mirror at the end ?

Back