Had MJ known he was going to die, what would he have done?.. (Material wise)

innuendo141

Proud Member
Country
Ireland
http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/6851861/david-bowie-planned-long-list-releases

I read an article a couple of days ago, that claimed that David Bowie (who was aware that he was coming to the end of his awful illness) had planned his own posthumous compilation releases. I love this idea as it will be in fact Bowie himself "cashing in" from the grave, as opposed to those left in charge rehashing possible previous "Best Ofs". Bowie's got quite a few really brilliant compilation releases that aren't just a "Greatest Hits" package, so this is great news for a Bowie fan.

In light of this, say the shoe was on the other foot. Michael was ill, and he knew his time was coming (not the way he was stolen). Given that we have had several compilations since 95 (HIStory, Number Ones, The Essential, King Of Pop. Not counting the Ultimate Collection).

How do you think MJ would have approached his legacy after he was gone? Do you think he would have lined up a string of concert releases? Live albums? Rare and unheard songs? Or do you think he would do what Freddie Mercury did? Essentially, this would be like what has happened with Michael/Xscape. When Freddie Mercury was dying, he turned to his manager Jim Beach and said something along the lines of "You have control over my work. I don't care what you do, just never make me boring." which is also quite cool. The difference with Freddie though, was that he had very little solo material to mess with after his death. His work with Queen would obviously be with the other 3 members as a unit.

I think in a way he would have been able to give his executors a list of songs he never wanted released, ones he would like a certain artist to sing a verse or two with, and songs he wanted completed putting his trust in a select few.

Obviously I'm leaving any worries about family out of this, I just wanted to chat about his work.

I don't know the answer to that, but I am glad he did not die a slow, painful death. While that lets you get prepared more - and indeed be more in control of what would happen with your legacy after your death (and as a result probably your fans being more accepting of the direction than in MJ's case where you have all the Estate critics and all the disputes about what MJ "would want" etc) - but it's also more painful physically and mentally IMO. I know it's not really an answer to your question but I'm just glad he did not have to go through that.

Songs like The Show Must Go On or Bowie's last album are heartbreaking, knowing they knew it was their farewell when they recorded it. I am not sure I could listen to something like that from MJ. I am just too emotionally involved with him to be able to bear it.

I don't know the answer to that, but I am glad he did not die a slow, painful death. While that lets you get prepared more - and indeed be more in control of what would happen with your legacy after your death (and as a result probably your fans being more accepting of the direction than in MJ's case where you have all the Estate critics and all the disputes about what MJ "would want" etc) - but it's also more painful physically and mentally IMO. I know it's not really an answer to your question but I'm just glad he did not have to go through that.

Songs like The Show Must Go On or Bowie's last album are heartbreaking, knowing they knew it was their farewell when they recorded it. I am not sure I could listen to something like that from MJ. I am just too emotionally involved with him to be able to bear it.

I agree with everything here. HIStory is actually tough at times so I cant imagine what a possible Innuendo or Blackstar from Michael would have sounded like.

Regardless of how he did die, I think Michael was always aware that his unreleased recordings would be released and even touched up if he died.

I always wonder how he would've wanted his legacy and posthumous recordings to be handled though. I know in some cases (like Mercury or Bowie) they make their wishes known, other artists have partners who know them inside out and thus would know how to treat their music even if it wasn't potentially discussed (Lennon and Ono). I imagine Michael had some idea of how he wanted his posthumous recordings done, but whether he told anyone... that's the question and my guess is leaning towards probably not, but of course, I really don't know.

I find Blackstar extremely fascinating; Bowie essentially turned his death into art. A true artist in every sense.

Last edited:
Regardless of how he did die, I think Michael was always aware that his unreleased recordings would be released and even touched up if he died.

I always wonder how he would've wanted his legacy and posthumous recordings to be handled though. I know in some cases (like Mercury or Bowie) they make their wishes known, other artists have partners who know them inside out and thus would know how to treat their music even if it wasn't potentially discussed (Lennon and Ono). I imagine Michael had some idea of how he wanted his posthumous recordings done, but whether he told anyone... that's the question and my guess is leaning towards probably not, but of course, I really don't know.

I find Blackstar extremely fascinating; Bowie essentially turned his death into art. A true artist in every sense.

You would like to believe that whoever Michael told regarding his wishes would have upheld them. Despite all the ridiculous crap that's happened since he died, I like to think things would have been handled a little better had he had a say in how things were going to go. Mainly along the lines of

"Whatever you do, do not use a different singer and pass them off as me please. Not that you would ever EVER consider it... But I just thought I would say it IN CASE...."

I know I couldn't. to this day I still can't listen to songs like The Show Must Go On or These Are The Days Of Our Lives without feeling sick to my stomach. I can't get myself to listen to the posthumous albums with Michael. not only because he has no say in what they are doing to his songs, and how, but because he's not here to release them himself, and to enjoy the success that automatically followed whenever he released an album. my biggest joy in life was taken away from me when he died. the special kind of joy and excitement I was feeling whenever he released something new, or something was coming on TV with him, or when I was going to a concert with him, or even just seeing a new picture of him, even if it was a paparazzi picture, to just see him, and see that he was still here and looking good and healthy. I know you can look healthy though you're not, but I had nothing else to go by. I couldn't ask him how he was doing?
but yeah, that was a special kind of joy I've never had with anything or anyone else ever, and I never will again. that's gone now and will never come back. for example, when Xscape was released, I tried to listen to it, but I listen to 1 minute of one song, and I just couldn't anymore. I was sitting there with this empty feeling, and I just can not enjoy it when he is not here to enjoy the success himself. it's just not the same without him, and it never will be. and if he had been ill and had known he was going to die, and then made a farewell album or whatever, I know it would be too heartbreaking for me to listen to. I just can not do it

Last edited:
I'm reminded of Frank DiLeo's story from the "Life of an Icon" documentary, where he told of Michael visiting sick kids and buying a piece of equipment for a hospital, on every stop during a tour. According to Frank, Michael kept saying "This is our legacy; this is what we'll leave behind".

While I'll probably always love his music, I think Michael would want to be remembered more for his giving heart...especially to the less fortunate around the world.

Interesting topic. I picture Michael leaving us with one last great show being the showman he was, which is what he did with This Is It, but I mean like one last concert which would have been one of the most special events in history.

On the album side, I think with him being the artist he was, I think he would have left us with really powerful songs with messages, Earth Song, Heal The World. As well as songs of his defiance to just conform, like Unbreakable, Jam. But I think what a last album would have been scattered with is songs like, Speechless, Best Of Joy, Will You Be There, Liberian Girl. Songs just plucked from the heavens, that are just about how precious life is. I think it's one of the tragic things about Michael's legacy is he never got to leave us with a parting gift, that we know as fans, in his heart he would have been satisfied with.

I can barely handle the fact that David Bowie knew and gave us a goodbye. I'd be crushed if Mike was able to do that! It's hard enough losing him the way we did. :(

He did die a slow and painful death if you think about it, from the first allegation, it killed him inside, whether you want to admit it or not. I don't want to start an argument or anything. But he started to die after that. When it happened again in 2003, he basically died, it just took him a while to realize it.

He did die a slow and painful death if you think about it, from the first allegation, it killed him inside, whether you want to admit it or not. I don't want to start an argument or anything. But he started to die after that. When it happened again in 2003, he basically died, it just took him a while to realize it.

excuse me for asking, but how do you know this?

Last edited:
TheManinTheMirror;4131613 said:

I read a story where an Irish female singer met Michael in Oman or if it was somewhere else in the east after the second allegation.
He was telling fun stories.
Michael was smiling when he went home from his last rehearsal, he wanted to sleep as soon as possible and was excited over the rehearsals he was going to do later...if Murray hadn´t killed him.

Michael knew he was going to die, just as we all know we are going to die one day.
I think Michael had been quite satisfied with This is it, the movie if he could see it from above.
Maybe not from the beginning , he wanted everything to be perfect-but when he saw how fans loved it and that they got his message about the environment.
And I love you in the end.

For songs I think he had wanted to leave messages ..and to take us to places we never been to before..

excuse me for asking, but how do you know this?

:coffee: He (or she, I don't remember which) doesn't. There's no doubt those lies hurt him deeply, but if he had a death wish he didn't have to "die a slow death." He could have committed suicide, but he DIDN'T. He was stronger than most people gave him credit for, plus he wanted to be there for his children (which brought him far more joy than the pain he went through.)

Last edited:
:coffee: He (or she, I don't remember which) doesn't. There's no doubt those lies hurt him deeply, but if he had a death wish he didn't have to "die a slow death." He could have committed suicide, but he DIDN'T. He was stronger than most people gave him credit for, plus he wanted to be there for his children (which brought him far more joy than the pain he went through.)
:clapping: my thoughts exactly!!!! sure, he suffered a great deal, but he had so much to live for, and he knew that, and has said it himself. and I do believe he moved on. and as he also has said himself, "heartbroken, but not suicidal" and "I have rhinoceros skin"
his strength is one of the things I've always admired him most for. he went through A LOT of crap throughout his entire life, but he was always in good spirits, and didn't let anything bring him down. and he always came back from whatever it was, and proved to the world over and over how strong he was. his strength is my inspiration. he is my hero :wub:

I know what you mean and I don't disagree. But in this thread the subject is more how he would have prepared his legacy if he knew he was going to die within a certain period of time. I agree that the pain of the allegations and how he was treated contributed to his emotional state that led to issues such as his sever insomnia (although they were not the sole reason, as he suffered from insomnia already before the 1993 allegations, but the allegations certainly made it worse). But from the POV of preparation to death that's not like when someone has cancer or AIDS and they know they have a certain amount of time to live.

I find it very interesting to think about this. I also notice how painful it is to imagine it. Imagining people who know they are going to die just makes me feel sick with sadness. Actually I'm happy Michael died while he slept. Not knowing it, not having to prepare everything, not having to mentally deal with saying farewell to the world. If I imagine there would have been a last great show, everyone including Michael knowing he's going to die... OMG. I swear I could not bear that.

It's hard to imagine. Even if I try to imagine what I would do if I would die in 6 months is hard, because I honestly don't know. Maybe Michael would have focused on the essence of this work: love. How could he spread this message one last time? What could he do to motivate everyone to keep on spreading this message after his death? Maybe he would have made some instructions for people that would release posthumous albums. What songs they should or should not include. How they should mix them etc. I feel it would all have focused on love. As always.

Man this makes me really sad right now :( I miss Michael so much. It's not fair that some people have to leave this Earth so early.

I'm reminded of Frank DiLeo's story from the "Life of an Icon" documentary, where he told of Michael visiting sick kids and buying a piece of equipment for a hospital, on every stop during a tour. According to Frank, Michael kept saying "This is our legacy; this is what we'll leave behind".

While I'll probably always love his music, I think Michael would want to be remembered more for his giving heart...especially to the less fortunate around the world.

I could not have said it better myself in the bold. It would have been nice if OW would have let Michael said what he want to be remember for.

Just take a look at the interview he did with Oprah i took some thing from the interview i feel Michael want the world to remember him for. Michael want to see a children hospital go up for the sick kids it was a dream of his one i would love to see happen. Michael love for the children around the world was so important to Michael like he said in the interview he want to give back.

Like it was mention sometime it is hard to listen to music of Michael and he is not here. Michael legacy to me was his love for the world.

Last edited:
Interesting question. It's hard to say what material he would want released and how (if at all) he would want it to be finalized. I'm pretty sure he'd want to stick to his original vision, maybe allow producers he had worked with to put finishing touches, but he wouldn't go the route of other people re-writing his music. He'd probably want his most socially important songs (Earth Song, Heal the World) somehow re-introduced to the public and highlighted. I think he'd embrace the idea to do some publicized social projects around them years down the road.

I also think he would put great emphasis on HOW his work would be released. During his life, he always made sure his releases were a big deal - rare enough to create anticipation, and hyped a lot. I think he would probably leave instructions to make one release per decade with the best hand-picked stuff or something like that, to stretch it out and keep him on the news for a longer span of time, considering he won't be here to produce new material.

He'd probably want a lot of memorabilia produced to fill in the gaps - he knew memorabilia solidifies the iconic image. I think he would encourage books being written about his work, and some about his life (by people who knew him and could help highlight his legacy, like Michael Bush). He'd probably want one or two concerts released from different eras, for fans who, he'd know, won't have a chance to see him live anymore - and he'd want lots of crying audience shots included, lol. He'd want his music videos re-released in hi-def.

And yes, I'm sure he'd want his humanitarian legacy to shine front and center - and not to attach a halo to himself, but to inspire others and encourage others to continue what he started. So those people who collect stories about his acts of kindness and release books about it, and make youtube videos, and build orphanages in Haiti in his name - I think they do exactly what he would have wanted, and he would have been so touched and grateful to know about these efforts.

I'm a male

I talk alots about Michael give back his love for the children that was so dear to his heart but as for his music that is a hard question. Michael imo never except he was going to die this soon he had plans and after this last concert this was it for Michael no more on the stage. Since Michael death the material and things that have came out we as his fans are not for sure if this is what Michael would have want done Michael was a flop a rush Bad25 was awesome Xsacape imo is a good album also but is it something Michael would have done if he knew we will really never know the answer but we as his fans know if it does not look good or sound good Michael would not put it out there

He want to go into films making do movies and more on his music he had a plan in place. So your question if Michael knew he was going to die what would he have done you would have seen music that he want his fans to hear a children hospital been build been with his kids more like Michael said you have not seen nothing yet the best is yet to come. If Michael knew imo this is want would have happen.

God is the only one who know are end and when it time to go it time to go.

Back