Control 30

HIStory

Proud Member
Control was released on February 4, 1986, exactly 30 years ago today.

[h=1]TRIBUTE: Celebrating 30 Years of Janet Jackson’s Breakthrough Album ‘Control’[/h] February 2, 2016

Happy 30th Anniversary to Janet Jackson’s third album Control, originally released February 4, 1986. [Stream album and watch videos below]

By Justin Chadwick

“I'm not saying I don't want to be a part of the Jackson family, because, of course, that's my name,” a 20 year-old Janet Jackson confided to People Magazine, back in July of 1986, a few months after the release of her seminal album Control. “But I wanted this record to be my own.”

Indeed, through her teenage years, the demure and soft-spoken youngest of nine Jackson children patiently observed—and at times participated in—her brothers’ extraordinary rise to super-stardom from the sidelines, first with The Jackson 5’s hyper-prolific 1970s heyday, followed by her brother Michael’s stratospheric solo ascent. Michael owned the first half of the 1980s, as he redefined and revolutionized the pop music landscape through his unforgettable, Quincy Jones orchestrated songs from the timeless albums Off the Wall (1979) and Thriller (1982).

While Michael was off conquering the world with hit after hit after hit, his precocious little sister devoted her energy toward her fledgling small-screen acting career, appearing for abbreviated stints on Good Times, A Different Kind of Family, Diff’rent Strokes, and Fame through 1985. In parallel to cultivating her acting chops, Janet also quietly launched her recording career. At the behest of her father and manager Joseph Jackson, Janet secured a record deal with A&M Records in 1982 and released her self-titled debut album later that year. However, both Janet Jackson and its 1984 follow-up Dream Street failed to captivate audiences, both critically and commercially.

Despite the early career disappointments, Janet refused to lose faith. Instead, she determinedly took control of both her personal life and career, having her short-lived marriage to James DeBarge annulled and severing professional ties with her father Joseph. Around this time, she aligned more closely with John McClain, A&M’s Senior Vice President of A&R, who, in retrospect, proved instrumental in kickstarting her career, as he introduced her to the powerhouse Minneapolis Sound Machine of Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis. Co-founders of The Time and musical colleagues of Prince, Jam & Lewis boast one of the most revered and successful production repertoires in the history of pop music, and their hitmaking services were in high demand upon meeting Janet.

Janet’s stubborn perseverance and fortuitous partnership with Jam & Lewis paid off in a huge way. Recorded in 1985 at the duo’s Flyte Time studio in Minneapolis, her masterfully crafted third album Control represented the defining moment—indeed the tipping point—of her burgeoning career and developing persona. “I think Control is timeless, because it was basically the coming out of a budding flower,” Lewis reflected during a recent conversation with Idolator. “That was when Janet found her voice. Prior to that record, people just gave her songs to sing. But on Control she really had the opportunity to figure out who she was musically and what she wanted to say. That was the beginning of everything, in terms of success.” Effectively her declaration of creative freedom and independence, Control is a fierce, self-assured and vibrant record that laid the groundwork for what has proven to be one of the most durable and dynamic pop music careers of the past thirty years.
Balancing its undeniable urban appeal with its unmistakable crossover-friendly foundations, Control is the whole package, the epitome of a pop album masterpiece. Jam & Lewis’ big, bold, and powerfully percussive soundscapes, coupled with irresistible melodies that completely envelop the senses, were innovative within the context of mid ‘80s R&B, and directly influenced the sonic blueprint of the new jack swing era that emerged a few years later. Of the album’s nine tracks, seven were released as official singles—a sure-fire testament to the album’s broad accessibility and an incredulous ratio by today’s standards, whereby the majority of albums, including the most successful ones, yield three to four singles tops.

The album kicks off with the propulsive wallop of the high-octane title track, which explores Janet’s transition from adolescence to adulthood. It’s an unequivocally empowering message of reclaiming ownership of her life that, as Jimmy Jam once explained to the BBC, “turned out to become an anthem for young women who were striking out on their own.”
Most notably evidenced on a trio of unforgettable tracks, the theme of self-empowerment pervades the entire album. A not-so-thinly-veiled message to her ex-husband, the Grammy-nominated first single “What Have You Done for Me Lately?” calls out a lazy lover who refuses to pull his share of the weight in their romance-depleted relationship. A similar biting, “I’m done taking your shit” tone is heard on the danceable “The Pleasure Principle, as Janet laments “It's true you want to build your life on guarantees / Hey, take a ride in a big yellow taxi / I'm not here to feed your insecurities / I wanted you to love me.” Featuring the notorious refrain “No, my first name ain't baby / It's Janet...Ms. Jackson if you're nasty,” the anti-chauvinism paean “Nasty” finds Janet aggressively asserting her will to repel the more patronizing elements among the male species.
Other standout moments include the ebullient, synth-horn soaked love song “When I Think of You,” which is arguably the most dancefloor-friendly track of the set. The two ballads that close the album are top-notch. The sweet, sincere serenade “Let’s Wait Awhile” extols the virtues of patience and level-headedness when it comes to matters of love and lust, with Janet committing herself to “saving more for later so that our love can be greater,” while confidently explaining in the song’s closing moments that “I promise, I’ll be worth the wait.” Sampled nearly a decade later by hip-hop duo Camp Lo for their chilled-out 1997 single “Coolie High,” the lush torch song “Funny How Time Flies (When You’re Having Fun)” concludes the album on a smoothly subdued note. The remaining non-singles are passable-enough fare, with the buoyant groove and youthful yearning of “He Doesn’t Know I’m Alive” the slightly more worthwhile listen than “You Can Be Mine.”

Nominated for Album of the Year at the 1987 Grammy Awards (Jam & Lewis won for Best Producer), the many-times multi-platinum Control solidified Janet’s musical identity and set the stage for even greater commercial and critical success, beginning with the release of Rhythm Nation 1814 three and a half years later in 1989. Whereas her brother ruled the pop music world for the first half of the ‘80s, Janet—together with Madonna—asserted her female pop star power in the decade’s latter half, providing inspiration to the next generation of pop prodigies, from Mariah Carey to Mary J. Blige to Beyoncé to Rihanna and beyond.
Four months ago, Janet released Unbreakable, her eleventh studio LP and the eighth featuring production by Jam & Lewis. The stellar album is yet another dazzling effort in an amazing career that was destined to endure, due in large part to its creator seizing Control thirty years ago and never looking back.
Notable Tracks: “Control” | “Let’s Wait Awhile” | “What Have You Done for Me Lately?” | “When I Think of You”

http://www.albumism.com/features/tribute-celebrating-30-years-of-janet-jackson-control

I was 16 years old and can still remember listening to it on my turntable back then. Still have the vinyl. :D

I remember as a kid in the 80's loving the videos for What Have You Done For Me Lately, Nasty and When I Think Of You, back when MTV was actually half decent. Anytime I put this album on I can listen start to finish because it's such a great pop album. I think the balance between the number of tracks, up-tempos and ballads is perfect and it still sounds so fresh and enjoyable today. Yeah it sounds 80's but in a good classic pop type of way.

I know I'll sound like a broken record but I would love for Janet's classic albums to get the remastered super dooper deluxe version treatment. I realise that may not be entirely feasible, but surely she or her Rythm Nation company could release them via the offical website for fans and simply release 1-disc remastered album versions for record stores? It seems to be done for lesser albums.

Good read, thanks for posting.

Although I wasn't anywhere near born, I'm a Janet fanatic and have been since I was in the fifth grade so although I'm really late on this post from just coming to the community (this site); Happy Release Day Control!

Aww dang! You really don't realize it until you see it written in black and white. Can't believe its been 30 years.
I eventually got it on cassette....which I still have too. :D

Con troooohl! :kickass2::music:

I remember as a kid in the 80's loving the videos for What Have You Done For Me Lately, Nasty and When I Think Of You, back when MTV was actually half decent. Anytime I put this album on I can listen start to finish because it's such a great pop album. I think the balance between the number of tracks, up-tempos and ballads is perfect and it still sounds so fresh and enjoyable today. Yeah it sounds 80's but in a good classic pop type of way.

I know I'll sound like a broken record but I would love for Janet's classic albums to get the remastered super dooper deluxe version treatment. I realise that may not be entirely feasible, but surely she or her Rythm Nation company could release them via the offical website for fans and simply release 1-disc remastered album versions for record stores? It seems to be done for lesser albums.

Good read, thanks for posting.

Could not agree more! Some nice bonus tracks and remixes. Maybe a live Bluray and a DVD for the music videos and performances from award shows and stuff?
Dream on i suppose!

Janet Jackson's 'Control' at 30 Still Commands Respect
BY MORGAN EVANS
17 June 2016
A MASTERPIECE OF SELF WORTH-THEMED CONTEXTUAL POP PROVES OUR IDIOCY FOR DOWNGRADE SHAMING HER TO THE STATUS OF "WARDROBE MALFUNCTION".
cover art
JANET JACKSON
CONTROL
(A&M)
US: 4 FEB 1986

In a time when artistic freedom, boundaries, and self worth have been thrust back onto the national debate stage via the high profile Sony/Dr. Luke/Ke$ha controversy and when pop is often less and less a reflection of the actual artist performing it and more of a pantomime for corporate interests, Janet Jackson’s Control is worth reconsidering as, perhaps boldly, one of the top three or four pop records of the ‘80s. Personally, I think it is unquestionably the most coherent and powerful full album statement from any female solo pop artist during much of the ‘80s, some of Kate Bush’s more eccentric triumphs that decade notwithstanding.

Jackson gets major style points for her bright color palette, very pop looks, and her effortless charm during this period. The segue ways on the album are also as great or better than almost any album in history (seriously, “The Pleasure Principle” riding out into the sudden sparse light funk of “When I Think of You” is pure genius, a song that not only had one of the best grooves but also offered one among the funniest ensemble videos of the times).

Roaring in with a softly stated yet commanding declaration of intent, Jackson was free of her father and manager, Joseph, and with a fresh marriage annulment, was poised to take over the world and help change music forever. “This is a story about control… and this time I’m gonna do it my way”, the album’s spoken intro promised. Control is a masterpiece of self worth-themed contextual pop that proves our nation’s shame for ever downgrading her to the status of “wardrobe malfunction”. There is not the same stormcloud pathos of Prince’s testy years fighting Warner Brothers, rather sheer joy through most of the record.

Jackson would become one of the world’s biggest pop stars, predating current day reigning queen Beyonce with sly humor (the opening girl talk skit to fiercely confrontational, funky and dismissive “What Have You Done For Me Lately?”) and via hyper-analytical pop as a reflection of woman’s spirit, social standing, and ability to seize attention in a less objective way. The album was sexy and funky and fun, but if you were too nasty you had to call her “Ms. Janet”, respectfully. The simmering “Nasty Boys” flirtation with almost clanging industrial textures reminds that Yeezus is one of Kanye’s best lucid moments but really it is way less original than he thinks (like most things he does). Seriously, y’all… stop jockin’ Ye and go listen tosome Ratking or FKA Twigs or something fresher.

Yes, Jackson would go on to beat Beyoncé to the Super Bowl Controversy punch via that really inconsequential nip slip that got way too much press.

Several years after Control she also was ahead of the game with the pop mining Black Panther imagery via the still rockin’ (and risky for rock elements at the time) “Black Cat” single. But she commanded that as well, even as Janet always also seemed to have a real sweet and shy side.

I’m not trying to pit her and Beyoncé against one another or say that Lemonade is super derivative, or something. If anything Control was such a triumph because it paved the way for more women to feel like they could make art that wrestled with the process of boundaries, falling in love, feeling slighted or unseen (“He Doesn’t Know I’m Alive”), or wanting it to be special.

“Let’s Wait Awhile” might have opening keyboards that could just as suitably serve MC Hammer for a kinda goofy spoken word seductive “Have You Seen Her?” type vibe (No offense to Hammer because that’s my favorite dude), but Jackson turns the song into one of the most gentle yet firm affirmations of boundaries and the worthwhile process of getting to know a potential partner in pop music. It’s almost a nostalgic novelty now in the age of speed dating and the gag worthy Tinder swiping and ghosting culture we live in.

This album wants to communicate.

Jackson on Control wants love and even sometimes sex but she doesn’t want to rescind her dignity. “Nasty Boys” may get kinky telling the nasty boys “don’t ever change” and perhaps seem to condone objectification to some feminists but Janet’s delivery practically makes her sound like a dom for all the charged power and confidence of her vocal. No one is putting anything past her or getting anywhere she doesn’t want them and she makes it a playful game.

The synth, heavy percussion and dance club elements as well as some extended bridges and outros make every song a winner. The collaboration between Jackson and producers Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis is the stuff legends are made of. Even the most dialed-in sounding number “You Could Be Mine” still has a sweet innocence and quirky vibe similar almost to “Funky Town”, but laced with Prince-esque hot guitar licks and a bold urgency that highlights Jackson’s feelings as important. Pop now negates the real feelings of artists as secondary to a sheen of production gloss. Autobiographical records like Lemonade resonate so much because we miss what Control gave us.

The album is crazy, adventurous, proud, unabashedly romantic but also never hesitant to hold you at arm’s length until you earn Jackson’s respect. It also doesn’t overstay its welcome. There are actually only nine songs and the record is highly replayable, taking you on a journey through many sides of Jackson’s personality as she explores what she wants. By the time she is actually getting all whispery and super sensual on closing track “Funny How Time Flies”, she may have given in to someone’s advances even though she “really has to go”, but you never get the feeling it is not as an equal. It’s a far cry, say, from the in studio tracked sex of Guns N Roses’ “Rocket Queen” from a little album from the same era called Appetite For Destruction.

The sense of self discovery on this record is palpable. The music remains exciting, dangerous and edgy yet accessible enough to seize the zeitgeist.

Like Purple Rain, her brother’s lauded Thriller , or the best album in the world Songs From the Big Chair from Tears For Fears or even, dare I include, the underrated INXS triumph Kick, there is just something about it that always sounds futuristic as well as nostalgic and intensely personal.

Jackson could have never made another note and this would still be a classic (though if that was the case I’d want a time altering device to also have “Escapade” on here as a tenth track because it is one of the best care free, spend a day with the person you love in surrender to bliss and easy going discovery type pop songs ever written and also needed to exist).

Like Metallica’s early output you are tempted to want to freeze time and hold this period in amber. What makes Control all the more inspiring though, for all the creative wins or missteps in an ever changing pop climate that came after it, is how the album’s symbolic magic and message still resonates so strongly if we take the time to deconstruct it. Honestly, all you have to do is put it on because it is so funky, smooth, soothing, and fun that the messages sink right in while you surrender any futile resistance to Jackson’s world.

------

Personally I'd rank it as her third best after 'janet' and Rhythm Nation 1814. One of best from 1980s.

I gotta be honest and admit that Control never did it for me. Now Rhythm Nation 1814 on the other hand....

I agree RN1814 is better, but Control has some stellar pop songs on it. Notably When I Think Of You, WHYDFML, Nasty.

I think Control was Janet's OTW, like Mike she'd had a couple of mediocre largely ignored albums with songs written for her. And Control saw her take 'control' of songwriting and production with partners who would stay with her for years.

Obviously it's not the same quality as OTW, but she showed signs of what was to some with glimmers of brilliance.

Back