Bad Tour 1987 Appreciaton Thread

fraroc04

Proud Member
It seems that pretty much every MJ fan puts Bad Tour 1988 on this pedestal, which don't get me wrong, it deserves to be on that pedestal because it was kickass, it almost seems like the 1987 Japan and Australia leg of the tour gets left in the dust.

The first leg was interesting, it was MJs first ever solo performances without his brothers, most of the setlist was based on the Victory tour and included songs we never heard from again from MJ solo yours like Things I Do For You, Lovely One, and Shake Your Body. Also it marked the first live performance of Thriller. And the only Bad material was the two encore songs.

It almost seems like the first leg of the Bad tour and the Victory tour made up sort of a surrogate "Thriller Tour" that never was. Think about it, the first leg contained almost no songs from Bad, and mostly songs that were from Thriller, Off The Wall and the adult Jackson 5 songs.

I really like the Yokohama concert. It was one of the first ones that I watched and I remember being amazed by hearing songs from him that I had never heard before (Heartbreak Hotel, Lovely One, Things I Do For You) and I really liked them. Also, the performance was very energetic and fun. I have also seen some of the Australia concert, which was also pretty good. So I like the first leg a lot!

Michael has done solo performances on TV shows since he was 13

:lol: adult Jackson 5? you mean The Jacksons? :rofl:

Okay, I should have specified. First solo performance in front of thousands of people alone lol

And to me, Jacksons vs Jackson 5 is kind of "tomato-tomahto"

wow...that's your attitude? and with that, you will only get laughed at in the fan community. sorry, but every fan should know the difference, but seems to me you don't even care about that part of his life/career? :wtf2 :doh:

wow...that's your attitude? and with that, you will only get laughed at in the fan community. sorry, but every fan should know the difference, but seems to me you don't even care about that part of his life/career? :wtf2 :doh:

To me, it just always seemed like it was the same entity, they just changed their name in '76 after they left Motown and signed with CBS. It's not that I don't like the Jackson 5/ The Jacksons. It just always seemed like the same group to me besides the name change.

Personally I'm massively happy I was at the 88 leg rather than 87.

I don't think I'd have seen APOM (one of the highlights) and I think no SC or Dirty Diana either.

His vocals in 87 was the best ever! The Tokyo show with the silver shirt and big boots is my favorite concert ever.

Yokohama 87 has my absolute favorite WDAN performance. I know that people would prefer an actual brass section but I just love the cheesy 80s synth-brass that was prevalent the entire show.

You also can't forget that outfit, sequined from head to toe :)

Agree he looked and sounded great.

But the set list compared to '88? No comparison.

I agree that the 88 setlist had more variety, but I only wish they retained Shake Your Body after Billie Jean.

Okay, I should have specified. First solo performance in front of thousands of people alone lol

After Michael died and in the first couple of months before it really sank in with me, I had this horrible craving to see him perform live.
So I ordered Bucharest. I had only had my own computer (not a work one) and had just discovered YouTube about 18 mos. before.
I could only watch 30 minutes of Bucharest (the audience and/or the fencing leotard were ruining it) and just watched my old VHS of the Magic Returns to watch the live stuff.

Then I noticed an ad for Yokohama. I had no idea what I was going to get/it was only 6.00 and had an atrocious drawing on the cover.
The DVD came and I almost fainted. It was probably a copy of a rip off of a another rip off -but I was stunned by his performance. I've watched it hundreds of times and could watch hundreds more even tho the quality is horrendous.
I think the reason he was doing the set list from Victory is because it was a test run, a dress rehearsal of sorts-first time on his own on stage with the whole show on his shoulders, calling all the shots-getting a feel for the 4 new backup singers and 4 new dancers. All the while planning and working on the real show/the 88 leg.

And I agree with the tomato/tohmato comment. Just semantics. Not a soul who didn't know what you meant.

Don't really know the difference between the two to be honest. But I do love the live at Wembley DVD that came with Bad 25.

Compare this set list to Wembley. You'll see.

Setlist

Wanna Be Startin' Something'

Things I Do for You

Off the Wall

Human Nature

This Place Hotel

She's Out of My Life

I Want You Back / The Love You Save / I'll Be There

Rock With You

Lovely One

Bad Groove

Workin' Day and Night

Beat It

Billie Jean

Shake Your Body (Down to the Ground)

Thriller

I Just Can't Stop Loving You

Bad

Thank god someone came in after 1987 and reminded him the tour was to supposed to support the Bad album.

It seems that pretty much every MJ fan puts Bad Tour 1988 on this pedestal, which don't get me wrong, it deserves to be on that pedestal because it was kickass, it almost seems like the 1987 Japan and Australia leg of the tour gets left in the dust.

The first leg was interesting, it was MJs first ever solo performances without his brothers, most of the setlist was based on the Victory tour and included songs we never heard from again from MJ solo yours like Things I Do For You, Lovely One, and Shake Your Body.

^I agree, and even though I like the '88 setlist better (because of Another Part Of Me & Man in the Mirror in particular) Things I Do For You, Lovely One & Shake Your Body are amongst my favorite performances on the entire tour. Maybe not as important as the setlist or performances, but he looked REAL good in that silver zippered shirt and those belts wrapped around his legs..? Yeah, favorite tour-outfit by far.
Yokohama is one of the best things I've ever seen him do tho, and his vocals in '87 were amazing:yes:

Another difference is that overall, the size of the stage in 1987 was smaller by about 15 or so feet in length. The Beat It lift takes up exactly half of the stage while in Bad 88 and the Dangerous tour, it takes up about a third of the stage.

Another difference is that overall, the size of the stage in 1987 was smaller by about 15 or so feet in length. The Beat It lift takes up exactly half of the stage while in Bad 88 and the Dangerous tour, it takes up about a third of the stage.

I always think when I watch Yokohama, that stage is so small

Compare this set list to Wembley. You'll see.

Thank god someone came in after 1987 and reminded him the tour was to supposed to support the Bad album.

I read that he only performed IJCSLY and Bad in 87 because those were the only singles out at that time.

Another thing i noticed is that 88 leg was so much better in terms of lightning. the 87 concerts were sometimes really dark. Not as dark as the Victory Tour though. Lol I swear in some shots on the victory tour I can't even see michael.

'88 all the way. Better set list, outfits, stage, lighting, dancing. An argument can be made about the vocals, but I prefer his voice post-87. Overall, for me, the 88-89 leg makes the 87 leg look like a rehearsal.

I read that he only performed IJCSLY and Bad in 87 because those were the only singles out at that time.

Another thing i noticed is that 88 leg was so much better in terms of lightning. the 87 concerts were sometimes really dark. Not as dark as the Victory Tour though. Lol I swear in some shots on the victory tour I can't even see michael.

Dallas and Kansas City has problems with it being too dark, but the HD Toronto footage, you can see everything clear as day.

Back