BAD 25 vs OTW 37

Psychoniff

Proud Member
So with the recent airing of Spike Lee's documentary of Michael's Journey From Motown To Off The Wall Off The Wall (2016) and his last one of BAD 25 (2012) which documentary was the best produced? Which did MJ's artist and musical legacy the most justice? Which documentary contained the most insightful, in depth, informative and relevant information, footage, stills etc? Which one would MJ be most proud of if he were alive today? What could been done or included to enahance each one? Etc

There were more storys about the songs and the process in Bad 25. The lack of real studio footage in OTW37 is also the reason why I prefer Bad 25 over it.

^Definelty agree with that. More technical song anaylsis was needed.

I have to agree too Bad25 i would have like to seen more about the songs on the album this was Michael first adult album and i would love to have seen a little more footage but Spike did do a again but there was more in Bad25 than Off The Wall.

There were more storys about the songs and the process in Bad 25. The lack of real studio footage in OTW37 is also the reason why I prefer Bad 25 over it.

I agree with you. Personally, I'm more interested in watching behind the scenes footage of a short film shoot or inside a studio than I am watching concert footage (which everyone seems to be excited about this time round), but of course there wasn't much Spike could do given Michael and his brothers didn't record much footage at this time. In fact I believe it was around the Thriller era that Paul McCartney remarked to Michael that he wished he recorded a lot more stuff during his time with The Beatles especially, Michael took this into consideration and after that began to record a lot more footage when he was in studio or working on a short film. Hence why Bad 25 is choc-full of incredible BTS footage!

Bad 25 is probably my favourite out of the two as well. I wish there was more of Michael commentating in Bad 25, but I don't believe he gave a lot of TV interviews during that time so Spike was limited. I really like how there was a solid amount of Michael discussing his work and aspirations in OTW37**.

I think one of the things that saddens me the most about Michael is that there isn't really much in-depth discussions with him about his music and the creative process behind it. So many of his interviews fail to focus on the art and honestly it's such... such a disappointment. Who cares if he's having sex with Lisa Marie? Let's talk about HIStory! It also sucks when the time where he mostly discusses his music is in recorded court depositions, and there clearly was a demand for Michael to discuss his creative process because I've seen so many internet comments from people being fascinated with these depositions - both fans and non-fans alike. Slightly off topic but I mean, it still pertains to Michael's involvement when it comes to his input on the creative discussions in these documentaries.

**Yes I know it's not called OTW 37, but honestly the actual name is just terribly annoying to say.

Bad25 without a doubt. Off the Wall was rushed and should have skipped over the Motown/Jacksons portion entirely (that's worthy of its own documentary, given that it's the first twenty years of Michael's life). It was fine but not immensely impressive.

Sidebar: There isn't any studio footage for Off the Wall and only a moderate amount for Thriller. Bad is when things began to be put on film more frequently.

Wow no studio footage at all? Could it be because Michael was doing the Wiz at the time?

I have to agree with everyone above. While I really liked this one, Bad 25 was longer and had much more interesting stuff. I don't know if it also has to do with the fact that I prefer Bad over OTW, but maybe someone whose favorite album is OTW prefers it over B25.

Bad 25 was better, imo. Behind the scene stuff was priceless, the documentary actually had new tidbits of information, even for hardcore fans. And more time was dedicated to studio sessions. With OTW, there was almost nothing about the recording and nothing new overall. Motown story has been told a million times by now. Songs from OTW were discussed more from the cultural impact standpoint than the production standpoint. Spike interviewed the song authors, so that part was covered pretty well, but I want to hear mostly about Michael's role in all of this and how he collaborated with other people in the studio. I understand Spike worked with what he could get, and it was a very good documentary overall. But Bad 25 was more insightful.

^BAD 25 suffered the same fate, I don't see what the diffrerence is.

I felt like i learned more during bad 25. I felt a bit bored at some points during otw but it was still great. Bad 25 was better for me

Just wanted to say that the title of the thread is stupid. They clearly said and it's obvious that the documentary is not related to any albums anniversary.

Back