Miguel to Perform a Michael Jackson Tribute at Grammys

HIStory

Proud Member
[h=2]GRAMMY Awards: Miguel Will Perform MJ Tribute[/h]
miguel-2015-landmark-music-festival.jpg

Miguel will translate his smooth moves into an homage to the King of Pop at the GRAMMY Awards this year, with a performance of an Off the Wall highlight at next week's ceremony.

According to Billboard, the R&B star will perform "She's Out of My Life" to commemorate the upcoming reissue of Off the Wall, as well as Spike Lee's new documentary about the 1979 classic album. Greg Phillinganes, the original keyboardist on the song, will back Miguel during the performance.

The MJ tribute joins several other tribute performances at the GRAMMYs this year, including Lady Gaga's ode to David Bowie, a Lemmy tribute and a Glenn Frey tribute featuring members of the Eagles. Lionel Richie will also get saluted by an all-star cast of performers.

http://www.fuse.tv/2016/02/grammys-2016-miguel-michael-jackson-song

Re: Spike Lee announces Off The Wall Documentary - Estate Announcement Page 66

Good promo. Whos miguel?

Nice even though I don't know who that is. Is he good? Can he do the song and Michael justice? I just think they could have found better or more famous singer. I wasn't satisfied with 2010 tribute selection of artists either. Bowie gets Gaga and MJ gets Miguel? I think that's not fair although I repeat I don't know who the guy is, maybe he is really good, but still..

Nice even though I don't know who that is. Is he good? Can he do the song and Michael justice? I just think they could have found better or more famous singer. I wasn't satisfied with 2010 tribute selection of artists either. Bowie gets Gaga and MJ gets Miguel? I think that's not fair although I repeat I don't know who the guy is, maybe he is really good, but still..

SMH at some always trying to make it a competition or a reason to get offended.
Bowie just died. Of course he is going to get a big tribute by some big name artist. Just like MJ did when he died, remember?

This is simply in promotion of the OTW album/documentary and I think it's actually nice because they don't have to do it.

And yes, Miguel is a known R&B singer.

Good promo for Miguel. First I've heard of this guy.

And yes obviously Bowie's tribute is going to be getting a little more attention and star quality. For obvious reasons like Respect put.

Seriously? How about we just be appreciative that someone is actually paying tribute to Michael in the first place?

David Bowie passed away only a month ago so naturally he's going to get a bigger tribute with potentially bigger stars. Michael's time to get giant tributes at award shows was 6-7 years ago and he did (I wouldn't be surprised if Gaga volunteered, Bowie is EXTREMELY influential on her). The fact that an artist is spending hours and hours planning, practising and perfecting a tribute to Michael when he could instead be performing his own songs to promote his own album is something we should be thankful for.

Maybe he's being paid by Sony/The Estate, maybe he had the opportunity to perform and decided to tribute Michael, I don't know but I'm just actually happy he's taking his time to pay tribute to Michael. I don't even know Miguel's work (minus two really good songs that he's featured on) but honestly, your post just came off really unappreciative of the tribute and even disrespectful.

I honestly don't see why we can't just be appreciative rather than get upset/offended by such minor things. It's ridiculous really.

Seriously? How about we just be appreciative that someone is actually paying tribute to Michael in the first place?

I doubt HE is really paying tribute. He was probably just hired by the Estate and Grammys to pay the tribute aka to perform, just like Gaga was hired to do Bowie. I just think they could have hired Justin Timberlake for example or Gaga before they hired her to do Bowie. I repeat once again, I don't know who the guy is and I don't have anything against him.

Wow-this is great news! I'd been hearing about the Bowie tribute and the Eagles honoring Glen Frey, but didn't expect this.
I've seen Miguel a couple of times and he's a good singer. I am surprised he hasn't hit bigger.

I hope they do something great for Natalie Cole.

I doubt HE is really paying tribute. He was probably hired by the Estate and Grammys to pay the tribute aka to perform, just like Gaga was hired to do Bowie. I just think they could have hired Justin Timberlake for example or Gaga before they hired her to do Bowie. I repeat once again, I don't know who the guy is and I don't have anything against him.

But you are comparing the passing of one of the greatest musical geniuses of all time with a re-rerelease of an album?.....

And you'd expect both tributes to be treated the same?....

Seriously man?

FYI you make it sound like a contest. Gaga was hugely influenced by Bowie (which she has shown throughout her career) and is actually a very fitting tribute, along with Nile Rodgers.

Off The Wall is a celebration of an album and will be treated as such, giving this guy a huge stage to show off his talents. Regardless of whether or not we know who he is or not, I find it fitting that a relatively unknown (to me) will be performing.

Bowie just died. Of course he is going to get a big tribute by some big name artist. Just like MJ did when he died, remember?

That's what I wrote. Do you read? MJ's 2010 tribute was meh and the selection of artists was not that good and little weird. And he didn't get Gaga. Only Usher made sense and he was only relatively big name at the time, not Gaga big though. And I'm not "offended", just saying.

I doubt HE is really paying tribute. He was probably just hired by the Estate and Grammys to pay the tribute aka to perform, just like Gaga was hired to do Bowie. I just think they could have hired Justin Timberlake for example or Gaga before they hired her to do Bowie. I repeat once again, I don't know who the guy is and I don't have anything against him.

Its a wash, its not about defining legacy, its about exploiting to the tilt because its a wrap and there's nothing left coming down the pike

Its a wash, its not about defining legacy, its about exploiting to the tilt because its a wrap and there's nothing left coming down the pike
Whether it's exploitation or not, I don't care. I'm truly surprised that they are going to celebrate the album in a show that's probably chock full already.
The more people that discover this great album, the better!!
And Greg playing the piano?? Yes!!!

just like Gaga was hired to do Bowie. I just think they could have hired Justin Timberlake for example or Gaga before they hired her to do Bowie.

Gaga wasn't hired by Bowie's Estate. She was already booked to perform on the Grammys but completely changed her show's direction after Bowie's death. IIRC she has an album due out much later this year so her original performance was probably related to that.

OnirMJ;4134571 said:
That's what I wrote. Do you read? MJ's 2010 tribute was meh and the selection of artists was not that good and little weird. And he didn't get Gaga. Only Usher made sense and he was only relatively big name at the time, not Gaga big though. And I'm not "offended", just saying.

You are so hung up on chart success that to you the only artists worthy enough to tribute big name artists are the ones with big chart success? BTW, Usher and Celine Dion both were more successful artists than Gaga, I think, and MJ was tributed by five artists. But it's not some competition anyway and how do you decide between Usher/Celine and Gaga who is bigger? It's a matter of taste. Yes, neither Usher or Celine were at their peak when they tributed MJ but Gaga isn't now either. Her career has been on the decline for years now and her last album was flop. (I think she is now working on turning it around and tone down the gimmicks and start to put focus on her talent which she does have. Hence her Super Bowl performance of the national anthem and I think she will pull off the Bowie tribute fine to many people's surprise.)

For that matter, Timberlake isn't as huge any more either as he used to be a couple of years ago. Timberlake and Timbaland on Xscape was cute but let it go already. They are not the official legacy keepers for MJ so that they need to do everything for MJ now. Actually I would find that pretty annoying.

And I have seen Bowie fans who thought it was offensive to Bowie that it's Gaga who is tributing him. I am pretty sure some here would object to it as well if she was tributing MJ because some like her and some dislike her. Just remember the objections on this board when Gaga bought some of MJ's clothes.

MJ is always getting tributed left and right and not only at annversaries (see Beyoncé at the latest Super Bowl) and you are jealous of Gaga tributing David Bowie?

Last edited:

and you are jealous of Gaga tributing David Bowie?

No, I am not. You seriously need to learn how to read.

BTW, Usher and Celine Dion both were more successful artists than Gaga, I think, and MJ was tributed by five artists. But it's not some competition anyway and how do you decide between Usher/Celine and Gaga who is bigger? It's a matter of taste. Yes, neither Usher or Celine were at their peak when they tributed MJ but Gaga isn't now either.

Maybe you misunderstood me, but I explained it better in my next post:

"From those 5 artists paying tribute to one of the greatest musical geniuses of all time only Usher made sense and only he was relatively big star (from those 5 artists) at that time."

Maybe you misunderstood me, but I explained it better in my next post:

"From those 5 artists paying tribute to one of the greatest musical geniuses of all time only Usher made sense and only he was relatively big star (from those 5 artists) at that time."

Are you on about the earth song performance where they actually got friends of MJ and people that looked up to him?

Are you on about the earth song performance where they actually got friends of MJ and people that looked up to him?

Yeah. But nevermind. I didn't like that performance. Obviously you guys did so it's useless to continue this discussion because it's off topic. I hope Miguel will do song and Michael justice. For Gaga I'm 100% sure she will kill it!

Yeah. But nevermind. I didn't like that performance. Obviously you guys did so it's useless to continue this discussion because it's off topic. I hope Miguel will do song and Michael justice. For Gaga I'm 100% sure she will kill it!

Its not really about enjoying the performance or not. Its more the attitude that the biggest stars, regardless of relevance to the deceased, should perform instead of friends and those in some way connected.

It is useless to continue this conversation i agree.

I don't get why who performs for MJ and who performs for Bowie is such an argument/debate... The fact Michael who past 7 years ago gets a dedicated performance on the same stage as Bowie who JUST past away says more to me than the individual who is performing... On top of that Miguel dedicating a performance to MJ makes more sense than Gaga dedicating a song to MJ.. Miguel is a straight 'off spring' of Michael where as Gaga (while there is direct influence) was down another alley.

Plus we can try to rank up Gaga vs. Miguel but the truth of the matter is we will see how "big" gaga really is on her next album.. Her being on superbowl and grammy is setting up her new album... and the truth of the matter is each of her album sales have been on a large decline with each one.. We will see how "big" she really is with her album.

Its not really about enjoying the performance or not. Its more the attitude that the biggest stars, regardless of relevance to the deceased, should perform instead of friends and those in some way connected.

No, that's not what I said or meant. I meant biggest stars, yes, BUT of relevance to the deceased, including friends and those in some way connected. Out of those 5 artists that did tribute to MJ other than Usher (who was only relatively big star out of the 5 then) no one had that relevance or friendship to MJ. MJ went once to Celine Dion concert in 2004 and she was a guest at Jacksons 1994 special. Smokey Robinson was friend/mentor in the '70s and Jackson 5 covered few of his songs. What relevance did Carrie Underwood & Jennifer Hudson had other than Hudson performing Will You Be There at his memorial? And what about Miguel?

Moving on. I'm looking forward to the Grammys and to She's Out Of My Life performance. It will definitely be a good promo for the re-issue.

I remember seeing Miguel about two years ago and thinking he might be the "next big thing" but I guess the Weeknd has taken that spot right now-but in 2013 it seems like he was doing duets with Jonelle Monae and Mariah Carey. What I didn't realize is that he won a Grammy for "Adorn" (best R&B) which was announced off camera and before the show.
Sound familiar? DSTYGE and Michael suffered the same fate. Sad.

Here he is talking about winning the award before the show itself.

Sound familiar? DSTYGE and Michael suffered the same fate. Sad.

Here he is talking about winning the award before the show itself.

This stuff gets blown out of proportion. There were and are SO many grammy categories. They can't broadcast everything on TV.

They only broadcast the main general ones and select ones from each genre.

It's never been a conspiracy to hide artists winning or anything.

Michaels winning category just happened to not air. They don't even air best R&B album today. Just single tracks.

lolz. Nobody's estate hired anyone to sing a tribute to anyone at an awards show.

I’m very happy to know that there’s going to be a melodic, beautiful tribute to MJ “next” to Bowie’s…

I will enjoy watching this Grammy Awards. Although, I know I will cry like a little child.

Wishing, Miguel and Gaga, the best of luck!!!

No, that's not what I said or meant. I meant biggest stars, yes, BUT of relevance to the deceased, including friends and those in some way connected. Out of those 5 artists that did tribute to MJ other than Usher (who was only relatively big star out of the 5 then) no one had that relevance or friendship to MJ. MJ went once to Celine Dion concert in 2004 and she was a guest at Jacksons 1994 special. Smokey Robinson was friend/mentor in the '70s and Jackson 5 covered few of his songs. What relevance did Carrie Underwood & Jennifer Hudson had other than Hudson performing Will You Be There at his memorial? And what about Miguel?

Not only Usher had relevance to MJ. Celine Dion's connection to MJ is far bigger than just MJ visiting once one of her concerts. Celine Dion forever cited MJ as a huge influence on her. She even stated he was the reason why she started to learn English as a child. And LOL at her not being a big star. Someone who has diamond albums is not a big star now? Tell me if Lady Gaga has one diamond album? Celine might not have been at her prime in terms of popularity when they did the tribute but Gaga isn't at her prime now either. Her latest albums have been on steady decline in terms of sales.

You may not like Celine's music personally but she is a big name. I think it's actually cool that MJ's influence is that wide reaching that not only artists of one genre or a couple of genres can cite him as an influence. If anything, Usher and Celine both citing MJ as an influence, shows that.

And "Smokey Robinson was friend/mentor in the '70s and Jackson 5 covered few of his songs" but only Usher had any relevance to MJ? ????? If being one of his early mentors is not a connection to MJ and not relevance to him then I don't know what is.

Carrie Underwood & Jennifer Hudson may have less relevance, but they too might consider him an influence, who knows, those were only two of the five artists. Lady Gaga has not any more relevance to Bowie than being one of his admirers. They never worked together. I don't know if they even met or knew each other.

Wow-this is great news! I'd been hearing about the Bowie tribute and the Eagles honoring Glen Frey, but didn't expect this.
I've seen Miguel a couple of times and he's a good singer. I am surprised he hasn't hit bigger.

I hope they do something great for Natalie Cole.

Yeah, I've seen him too. Billboards 2013.
Part of his performance had him jumping across the stage over the pit filled with fans
and he landed on 2 female fans heads. It was ugly.:eek:

Gaga isn't at her prime now either. Her latest albums have been on steady decline in terms of sales.

TBH in Gaga's defence, after Artpop (2013) didn't do so as well, she's been much more low-key in the music industry. She revealed that in 2013 she had actually been quite depressed for sometime and I remember reading around the time that she wanted to shift her focus on what she wanted to do, not what critics or even fans wanted her to do (essentially meaning she didn't want to really focus on modern pop).

So she started working with another huge inspiration of hers on an album that wouldn't be mainstream, a traditional jazz album with Tony Bennett. Let's be honest, there's not really any artist who could sell a lot of music in that style (in the last couple of decades anyway). My friends and I are quite big Lady Gaga fans and we've bought almost all her albums, but not even we bought that album.

On top of that, she's focused on more theatrical work, focusing on some film roles and, perhaps most notably, playing a major role in American Horror Story this past year or so. So you're right about her not being at her prime musically, and I'm not arguing with you or saying you're wrong... more so just providing context, but it's largely been her choice as she has deliberately focused on less-sellable music as well as acting roles in the entertainment industry.

Lady Gaga's an incredible performer, I've been seeing her gain many new fans this past year. Fans who never would've given her the time of day but have after seeing her jaw-dropping tribute to The Sound of Music and most recently her performance of the American National Anthem. It's great to see people look behind the outfit (helps she's kicked back on them 2 years ago) and realise what an incredible musician she is. I'm pretty keen for her tribute to David Bowie and honestly, I'm pretty excited for her to return to modern pop music this year. She's still very much a big name and I think she has great potential to return to the top once again.

Silouette;4134775 said:
Yeah, I've seen him too. Billboards 2013.
Part of his performance had him jumping across the stage over the pit filled with fans
and he landed on 2 female fans heads. It was ugly.:eek:

I guess, that is why he will sing a ballad song “She’s out of my life” ;)

Back