Harper Lee, author of To Kill A Mockingbird, passed away

HIStory

Proud Member
Nelle Harper Lee, who won the Pulitzer Prize for fiction in 1961 for her book, "To Kill a Mockingbird," has died at the age of 89, multiple sources in her hometown of Monroeville, including the mayor's office, confirmed Friday morning.
Lee was born April 28, 1926, in Monroeville, the youngest of four children of lawyer Amasa Coleman Lee and Frances Cunningham Finch Lee.

As a child, Lee attended elementary school and high school just a few blocks from her house on Alabama Avenue. In a March 1964 interview, she offered this capsule view of her childhood: "I was born in a little town called Monroeville, Alabama, on April 28, 1926. I went to school in the local grammar school, went to high school there, and then went to the University of Alabama. That's about it, as far as education goes."

She moved to New York in 1949, where she worked as an airlines reservations clerk while pursuing a writing career. Eight years later, Lee submitted her manuscript for "To Kill a Mockingbird" to J.B. Lippincott & Co., which asked her to rewrite it.
On July 11, 1960, Lee's novel was published by Lippincott with critical and commercial success. The author won the Pulitzer Prize for fiction the following year.

The film adaptation of the novel, with Mary Badham as Scout, opened on Christmas Day of 1962 and was an instant hit.
Harper Lee suffered a stroke in 2007, recovered and resumed her life in the hometown where she spent many of her 89 years. A guardedly private individual, Lee was respected and protected by residents of the town that displays Mockingbird-themed murals and each year stages theatrical productions of "To Kill a Mockingbird."

Lee returned to Monroeville for good once her sister Alice became ill and needed help. She'd eat breakfast each morning at the same fast-food place, and could later be seen picking up Alice from the law firm founded by their father.

Services for Lee have not been announced.

http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2016/02/harper_lee_dead_at_age_of_89_t.html

If you have not read To Kill A Mockingbird I very much recommend it. Great book. Reminded me a lot of what happened to Michael - on more than one level. Or at least watch the movie with Gregory Peck.

Just heard on the radio. RIP Harper Lee. And I only recently recorded a documentary about her that I have yet to watch. Today might be that day.

^^Is it the PBS documentary? That was pretty good.
'To Kill A Mockingbird' is one of those rare cases where the movie is as incredible as the book. Absolute masterpieces.

Yeah Barb, I think that's the one. Anyone here read her new book?

I have. Go Set a Watchman. Wonderfully written. Scout 'gettin' her dander up' about her daddy, Atticus. :)

this book shouldnt be taught to younger readers anymore, its from a bygone era and is now just part of the white guilt machine:( College boys can study it if they want

Darth Sidious;4139134 said:
this book shouldnt be taught to younger readers anymore, its from a bygone era and is now just part of the white guilt machine:( College boys can study it if they want
The white guilt machine? Yes, it's a fictional story but it's one that should be read by young kids. It's a beautiful book that is also important to race relations in our country. If one doesn't know or understand our history, one is bound to repeat it.

Just for example, look at all the crazy comments about the Black Panthers since the Beyoncé half time. I haven't read one single comment with any kind of understanding of the real Black panthers. Look at the hoopla over the confederate flag flying over our states' government buildings. No understanding of what that flag means.
I could continue.
We've already forgotten or are ignoring our very recent past and it's happening again. Racism is very real.

^^She looks as delighted as a child. How sweet-everyone holding up their copy of 'To Kill a Mockingbird'. I'm grinning right along with her.

Thank you so much for posting this, Dewey.

barbee0715;4139136 said:
The white guilt machine? Yes, it's a fictional story but it's one that should be read by young kids. It's a beautiful book that is also important to race relations in our country. If one doesn't know or understand our history, one is bound to repeat it.

Just for example, look at all the crazy comments about the Black Panthers since the Beyoncé half time. I haven't read one single comment with any kind of understanding of the real Black panthers. Look at the hoopla over the confederate flag flying over our states' government buildings. No understanding of what that flag means.
I could continue.
We've already forgotten or are ignoring our very recent past and it's happening again. Racism is very real.

And the book isn't just about race. There are so many other layers to it - the character of Boo Radley, for example.

I am not American and here the book isn't that known. Actually I have a hard time finding it in my language. But I read it in English and it's one of my fave books.

^^^^ No, Atticus is as strong and wise as ever. His... humanity shines through.

Back