Why Aree These Videos Missing from MJ's VEVO?

HIStory

Proud Member
- Who Is It (original video)
- Dirty Diana (official video)
- FULL Black or White including the Panther Dance

I see at least they finally uploaded TDCAU prison version which was also missing for a long time.

Can we write to someone for them to upload these? Who should we write to? The Estate? VEVO?

Dirty Diana is on the channel.

Regarding the others, I guess you'd have to contact the estate. It's weird how 'Who Is It' has a video on the channel, but it's not the official one.

Some videos are available only to US audiences, which is not helping...

Dirty Diana is on the channel.

Regarding the others, I guess you'd have to contact the estate. It's weird how 'Who Is It' has a video on the channel, but it's not the official one.

"The uploader has not made this video available in your country."

WTH?

Oh, and Will You Be There, the original video with the poem at the end is also missing.

Who Is It, is probably because when it got released in 1992, it was frowned upon then subsequently banned and only aired at night, because of it's story which involves a prostitute.
Yet they can make a "new" short film portraying the life of a stripper and that's cool (Hollywood Tonight)

Black Or White, is the same because of the amount of people that complained about the panther dance segment when it got released in 1991. They don't want to draw attention to it. Which is a crying shame because some of the dancing in that is in my opinion some of the best and most iconic dancing MJ ever did.

The full version of Bad is not on there once again due to the controversy of the story because it's based loosely on the tragic death of Edmund Perry.
The other thing is because people these days have short attention spams.

What makes me laugh is one of the biggest reasons people don't like MJ is because he wasn't edgy enough, yet whenever he went edgy the public couldn't take it...
Sorry for the really long post :cheeky:

Who Is It, is probably because when it got released in 1992, it was frowned upon then subsequently banned and only aired at night, because of it's story which involves a prostitute.
Yet they can make a "new" short film portraying the life of a stripper and that's cool (Hollywood Tonight)

Black Or White, is the same because of the amount of people that complained about the panther dance segment when it got released in 1991. They don't want to draw attention to it. Which is a crying shame because some of the dancing in that is in my opinion some of the best and most iconic dancing MJ ever did.

Yeah but that was the early 1990s. Now it's 25 years later in the mid-2010s (am I making some of you feel old yet? I kid I kid :p)

I don't know why Who Is It isn't up (doubt it's because it has a prostitute involved), as for Black or White, maybe they just uploaded the broadcast version instead? I don't think they're worried about controversy, not just because no-one would realistically throw a fit these days, but they also make it a selling point on DVD. I have this HIStory Volume I/II DVD set I bought back in 2009 and I recall the back making a big deal about how you could finally see this "controversial" ending. Actually it also makes a big deal about seeing the full version of Bad... maybe that's why they keep the super long full versions of some videos for home release? Make it a selling point of the home releases to see the extended versions?

I don't see them replacing the current version, YouTube doesn't have the facilities to replace videos without losing all the views/likes. I think they should release The Panther Dance in it's own seperate video though, just say in the description it's the original full ending to Black or White.

Also, I had the theory that it's probably Sony Music USA who uploaded the videos to Vevo and thus used the US Broadcast versions. Think about it, what version of BoW broadcasts on American television? The censored version. What version of WII broadcasts on TV? The compilation video (which I recall used to be on there). What version of Bad broadcasts on American television? The short 4 minute version. No idea how much truth there is to that though, but usually what I've seen on VEVO/YouTube reflects what version I see broadcasted on MTV and such.

Not sure about Who is It, but I doubt Black or White and Bad are censored for controversy anymore. I think it's length.

Personally, I think both versions of both videos should be on the channel.

"The uploader has not made this video available in your country."

WTH?

Oh, and Will You Be There, the original video with the poem at the end is also missing.

I did wonder if it was to do with the country you're in. You could install the Zenmate add on for Chrome or Firefox which will enable you to change your country to view videos. Obviously it'd be better if you didn't have to, but that is a solution.

I don't see them replacing the current version, YouTube doesn't have the facilities to replace videos without losing all the views/likes. I think they should release The Panther Dance in it's own seperate video though, just say in the description it's the original full ending to Black or White.

They do not have to replace them. They just should upload the other versions as well. Thriller has two versions (short and long one), Beat It has two versons (normal and digitally restored) so I don't think it would be a problem if they had two versions of certain videos.

Thanks. I know some of these can be found on other channels, I just wish MJ's official VEVO had them. Also some of the other channels have them in annoyingly bad quality or lyrics put on the video (like in the case of Who Is It).

As an aside Who Is It is probably his most underrated video.

It's sexy, dark and mysterious like the song itself.

A perfect David Fincher video

Not sure about Who is It, but I doubt Black or White and Bad are censored for controversy anymore. I think it's length.
I don't think so, because both Thriller and You Rock My World are full. and they have another video that is 24 minutes long (not a music video)

I hope you are able to view the videos, I know I often get the same thing with some of the unreleased videos that pop up that is not available in your country! :boohoo

I do see Who is it and Black or White on You tube....

Just noticed the official Dirty Diana on Vevo I can post a link for you when I get home! It is blocked at work...

I don't think so, because both Thriller and You Rock My World are full. and they have another video that is 24 minutes long (not a music video)

You Rock My World is another video they have two versions of: the full version and a short one with only the music part. So they definitely could do the same for Bad, Black or White etc.

As an aside Who Is It is probably his most underrated video.

It's sexy, dark and mysterious like the song itself.

A perfect David Fincher video

Yes! Always loved this video but i havent watched it in so long.

That girl is gorgeous in it too.

You Rock My World is another video they have two versions of: the full version and a short one with only the music part. So they definitely could do the same for Bad, Black or White etc.

yes...and they also have a short version of Thriller :D

Also Black or White has that language in it so that why it not on there either beside the panther dance

I forgot Bad was a true story

What language?

The language that is shown on the car and on the window doing the Panther Dance.

There is two version of it one without the language and one with the language.

I am sorry the words in video. ( car and window)

This is the short version not the full one.

Last edited:
Nah I don't think the language has anything to do with its absence. Firstly they could just upload the version without the words, and even if they did upload the version with the words, YouTube wouldn't remove it. They're very lenient on that stuff (they believe in freedom of speech essentially). Anyone offended is missing the point TBH.

EDIT: Perhaps someone who has contact with the Estate and their online team can enquire into the absenses of these videos?

Last edited:
Nah I don't think the language has anything to do with its absence. Firstly they could just upload the version without the words, and even if they did upload the version with the words, YouTube wouldn't remove it. They're very lenient on that stuff (they believe in freedom of speech essentially). Anyone offended is missing the point TBH.

Maybe someone who has contact with the Estate and their online team can enquire into the absenses of these videos?

You are right there is a full one without the words that can be use.

I am talking about the writing on the car and the window in the video that might be why it not on there but you are right there is a full version without the words.

Last edited:

EDIT: Perhaps someone who has contact with the Estate and their online team can enquire into the absenses of these videos?

alicia@mjonlineteam.com will pass on any messages to the estate.

The language that is shown on the car and on the window doing the Panther Dance.

There is two version of it one without the language and one with the language.

I don't think there is language there that would be censored. In fact, those writings were added later exactly because the media objected to the "sensless violence" in the video and this way they wanted to make it "have sense".

Most of the objection came because of MJ's sexual moves.

Back