Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The impact and influence thread.

Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 71
    Overall activity: 91.0%
    Achievements:
    Overdrive10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,698 Times in 832 Posts

Default Re: The impact and influence thread.

The humble King/Emperor of all music and entertainment, AKA The Greatest entertainer of all time, The standard, and Your faves fave.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pink Diamond Princess For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 705
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    Three Friends10000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,940 Times in 1,318 Posts

His influence on the entertainment industry is huge.. Goes far beyond where he gets credit. He really paved the way in so many ways. Yes music videos, dancing, music.. but it goes beyond that, think of what pop culture is now, and think how it was before Michael got on MTV..
    **He lives forever within us**

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks

How Michael Jackson Inspired A$AP Ferg's New Album
    The "King of Pop" led the A$AP Mob rapper to work with ScHoolboy Q, Future, Skrillex and more.

A$AP Ferg, of Harlem rap group A$AP Mob, dropped his "Always Strive and Prosper" album earlier this year. It features tons of special guests, including Future, ScHoolboy Q, Skrillex, Rick Ross, Chuck D, Big Sean and Ty Dolla $ign. It's an all-star album, but that's not how the project started.
    Before his performance at Lollapalooza, A$AP Ferg sat down with Red Bull TV host Sal Masekela to talk about the origins of "Always Strive and Prosper." Ferg said the album started out with no features. But then, after being inspired by Michael Jackson and Teddy Riley, he decided to remake the album and pack it full of special guests.
    "I didn't have any features on my album — and I learned this from Michael Jackson and Teddy Riley," Ferg explained. "Teddy Riley was working on Michael Jackson's album, and they got through the whole album and Michael Jackson said, 'I love the album, now let's just remix it.' Because the remixes is always better than the original song, so that's what I did with my album."

"I was like, 'I love this album, it's a masterpiece, but how can I make it better?' The remix," said Ferg. "So that's when I remixed my whole album. I took a verse off and put ScHoolboy Q on. I took a verse off and put Missy Elliott on. Got Future on a joint. All the songs was done before I got features on there."
    Watch the video above to hear Ferg tell the whole story, as well as talk about his experiences traveling the world to play festivals like Lollapalooza and Montreux Jazz.

The humble King/Emperor of all music and entertainment, AKA The Greatest entertainer of all time, The standard, and Your faves fave.

Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 146
    Overall activity: 55.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Thanks

Weird Al Yankovic. MJ allowing him to parody his songs, in the words of Al himself, 'jump-started my career'.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bad7 For This Useful Post:

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks

Young Thug aka Jeffrey Channels Michael Jackson On New album

Young Thug is getting ready to showcase himself in a new light (Michael Jackson) on his new album Jeffrey.

Thugger has also announced that he has changed his name to No, My Name is Jeffery maybe for a week or so to amp up album sales. Speaking with Travis Scott on his .wav radio shows on Apple Music’s ***** 1 on Friday, Young Thug opened up about his new album and taking on a mentality similar to that of the late king of pop Michael Jackson.

“This is personal… At the end of this album, everybody’s gonna be like, ‘Your name Jeffery.’ There’s no Thuggish songs. There’s cool songs. I got a song on there called ‘Future Swag’ but it’s still Jeffery,” the Atlanta rapper said.

But Young Thug says that he will more than likely be Jeffrey for just one whole week. “I’m Jeffery for one fu**ing week, if I don’t sell 100,000 copies,” he added.

As for why he decided to change his name to Jeffrey and drop the 7-track album, Thugger said that he wanted to get away from having a street image laced with beefs for a moment. “I just want to get off of the Slime Season sh*t because I never had a street mentality,” he said. “I always had a Michael Jackson mentality…The message is to go back to who I really am. I really am Jeffery. That’s really my swag.”

Travis Scott also revealed that he will be a guest feature on the album Jeffrey even though his verse is not yet recorded. “Let that be known, let that be stated that today, I am doing my verse tonight… Am on this album,” Scott said.

The album Jeffrey was original slated for release today August 19, but was delayed once again perhaps to accommodate Travis Scott. The project will be exclusively released on Apple Music and should be also available for download on iTunes.

Young Thug also has a new single out featuring Wyclef Jean title “Elton” that will be on the album.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

James Bourne from the UK pop punk band Busted. He's a really big MJ fan. Some of the things he's said about MJ:

In an interview:

What made you want to become a musician?

Listening to Michael Jackson and watching Marty McFly rock out in Back to the Future.

What was the first thing you saw on stage that had a big impact on you?

Michael Jackson's Dangerous tour, when I was ten.

From a book about an audition.

On Twitter:

'I gave Michael Jackson a hug. still remains the greatest moment of my life. Better than having number 1's or winning brit awards.'

When somebody, mistakenly, tried to make out he was only known for being a part of another band at one stage (when he co wrote most of the songs on that band's first album):

'No ones famous . Michael Jackson was famous . People are people . But you don't know that which is sad '

In a song the band did about going to the future, one line, tongue in cheek, goes 'Everybody bought our 7th album. It had outsold Michael Jackson.'

He also attended the premiere of the MJ documentary 'Life Of An Icon'.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bad7 For This Useful Post:

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Suleman Mirza from Signature who entered Britain's Got Talent. I so wanted them to win! They finished runners up. They did however win favourite BGT act ever!

Another from BGT, who won it one year, Diversity.

Their tribute to MJ at the Mobo Awards.

Another they did a few years later.

Last edited by Bad7; 18-09-2016 at 12:34 AM.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bad7 For This Useful Post:

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks

The Weeknd released a new vid for a song called "I Feel It Coming" and based on the screenshots I've seen (I haven't bothered I watch the video) it's heavily MJ inspired.

The Weeknd actually used to get on my nerves and I didn't like him but not anymore.
    Overtime I've come to the conclusion that he genuinely loves and respects Michael and isn't using him as a stepping stone for popularity (which I'm always a lil bit wary of when people are inspired by MJ).
    I'm neutral when it comes to him now.

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,397 Times in 945 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pink Diamond Princess View Post
    The Weeknd released a new vid for a song called "I Feel It Coming" and based on the screenshots I've seen (I haven't bothered I watch the video) it's heavily MJ inspired.

The Weeknd actually used to get on my nerves and I didn't like him but not anymore.
    Overtime I've come to the conclusion that he genuinely loves and respects Michael and isn't using him as a stepping stone for popularity (which I'm always a lil bit wary of when people are inspired by MJ).
    I'm neutral when it comes to him now.
    Yeah, sometimes he takes it a bit far though. I actually think The Weeknd is one of the better popstars of today (although lets face it, the bar is set pretty low). But his video for I Can't Feel My Face was pretty much Billie Jean Motown 25 without the moonwalk. I have no problem with people paying homage to MJ, or using him as inspiration. After all, MJ did the same with James Brown and Fred Astaire. But at least MJ took what they did to the next level. Everyone who seems to copy MJ just comes across as inferior in every way.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MattyJam For This Useful Post:

Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,413 Times in 8,896 Posts

^ There is a difference between inspiration and copying and I think Gene Kelly's widow articulated what that difference is perfectly here:

Though Gene appreciated when people paid tribute to his work, he never relished literal renderings. He preferred, instead, to see artists take his steps and ideas and turn them into something new. Referring to the role of the artist, he said, “If he just follows the leader and accepts what’s been done before, naturally, that can be brought to a very high skill. But if he wants to change it in some way and do it differently, then it jumps up to the major league.”

To Gene, Michael Jackson was one who made this leap. His movements were derivative, yet he transformed the many borrowings into a new and exciting art form. Like Gene, Michael had an uncanny ability to imitate things precisely. One night when Michael invited us to his house for dinner to discuss the possibility of him starring in a musical version of Frankie and Johnny, he stood in the living room and performed an exact rendition of Gene’s “Ballin’ the Jack” — not the vaudeville-style number with Judy Garland in For Me and My Gal but the sexy, earthy version from Gene’s hard-to-find 1959 Pontiac television special. He had it down to the minutest detail, including the Bill Robinson-inspired cocked hat. Later, when we were seated at the dining table, he launched into a near-perfect copy of “Makin’ Whoopee,” saying he loved Gene’s harmonizing with Donald O’Connor on the old Eddie Cantor song.

I was struck by how much Gene and Michael were alike. Both were sponges, taking what they needed, modifying it, and setting aside the rest. By watching everything Gene did and mimicking his moves, Michael absorbed a whole history of dance — a range of influences from the simple, clog-shoe-steps of Bill Robinson, to the masculine ballet of Russian Adolph Bolm and the modern ingenuity of Martha Graham — and so much more.

Gene appreciated that Michael had “respect for the older generation,” and that he made “no secret” of those who had helped to shape his style. For Gene, dance was a matter of influences and all dancers “have generations behind them.” As he had advised his friend Fred Astaire years before when someone had stolen one of Fred’s routines: “You mustn’t get angry at this. You should be flattered that the guy stole your number. That’s the sincerest form of flattery. That’s happening to me, and I’m not going to resent it. I’m going to be proud of it.”
    Stealing from the best, indeed.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/patric...?utm_hp_ref=tw

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to respect77 For This Useful Post:

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MattyJam View Post
    Yeah, sometimes he takes it a bit far though. I actually think The Weeknd is one of the better popstars of today (although lets face it, the bar is set pretty low). But his video for I Can't Feel My Face was pretty much Billie Jean Motown 25 without the moonwalk. I have no problem with people paying homage to MJ, or using him as inspiration. After all, MJ did the same with James Brown and Fred Astaire. But at least MJ took what they did to the next level. Everyone who seems to copy MJ just comes across as inferior in every way.
    True.
    I can't honestly disagree with anything you've said here.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Pink Diamond Princess For This Useful Post:

Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,397 Times in 945 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by respect77 View Post
    ^ There is a difference between inspiration and copying and I think Gene Kelly's widow articulated what that difference is perfectly here:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/patric...?utm_hp_ref=tw
    It doesn't bother me to be honest, as long as they're openly giving credit where credit is due (which The Weeknd does).

If anything, it just goes to show how music hasn't evolved or moved on from MJ. He was the greatest and people will be imitating and copying him for years and years to come. It's a good thing, I think, although it does very little for me watching others try and replicate and mimic MJ, without bringing anything new to the table. But it goes to show how much impact he had and how many people he inspired, so in that regard, I have no complaints.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MattyJam View Post
    It doesn't bother me to be honest, as long as they're openly giving credit where credit is due (which The Weeknd does).

If anything, it just goes to show how music hasn't evolved or moved on from MJ. He was the greatest and people will be imitating and copying him for years and years to come. It's a good thing, I think, although it does very little for me watching others try and replicate and mimic MJ, without bringing anything new to the table. But it goes to show how much impact he had and how many people he inspired, so in that regard, I have no complaints.
    The bolded is how I feel too.
    It's annoying AF when I see someone obviously biting off of MJ but saying someone else inspired them.

Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 8
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

It's nice to see that the weekend is inspired by MJ but I don't know why but I just don't like the guy for some reason. I do like his girlfriend Selena Gomez.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Criminal View Post
    It's nice to see that the weekend is inspired by MJ but I don't know why but I just don't like the guy for some reason. I do like his girlfriend Selena Gomez.
    Wow, I had no idea those two were together.
    Such a random relationship.