Rihanna Surpasses Michael Jackson With 14th No. 1 Hit

ILoveHIStory

Proud Member
Rihanna & Drake’s “Work” Hits No. 1 on Hot 100, Rih Passes Michael Jackson

Rihanna's "Work" featuring Drake is the #1 song on Billboard's Hot 100 chart this week, the publication announced today (February 22).

This is the singer's fourteenth song to reach the top spot on the chart, the third most of all-time. Rihanna surpasses Michael Jackson, who previously held the #3 spot with 13. Her other tracks to hit #1 include "Diamonds," "We Found Love" and "What's My Name," which also features Drake.

Ahead of Rihanna, the Beatles have 20 songs and Mariah Carey has 18 songs to reach the position.

Rihanna responded to the accomplishment on social media, thanking her fans, the Navy, on Twitter and then posting a video on Instagram of Homer Simpson and Family Guy's Peter Griffin washing cars and twerking.

Drake thanks Rihanna on Instagram for both of the songs that reached #1.

"Two number ones and they are both cause of you..." the Toronto rapper writes with a screenshot of the video for "Work," which was released today. "Midas Touch Riri. Thank you!!!"

"Work" appears on Rihanna's eighth studio album, ANTI, which hit the top spot on Billboard's Top 200 albums chart in its second week of release. The LP was first released to TIDAL, where the singer's partnership with Samsung helped the album sell 1 million copies within the first day. Billboard did not recognize those sales, which resulted in ANTI debuting at #27.

http://hiphopdx.com/news/id.37597/title.rihanna-garners-14th-1-song-with-work

+ all over the internet news.....

Rihanna has 14 number ones in the US….REALLY? Because TWO of her songs are by OTHER artists TI (Live Your Life and Eminem Monster) she sings CHORUS on both and gets credit for number one.

MJ has had 13 number ones in the US….BUT hold on ! He has had 4 Number ones also with the Jackson 5 where he SANG THE ENTIRE SONGS and 1 with USA FOR
AFRICA which he CO-WROTE and SANG on the chorus.

By that ESTIMATION Michael Jackson’s TALLY is IN FACT 18 Number 1 US singles.. BILLBOARD are fukin bending the rules for some artists…What a JOKE !!

Anyway…. today, in the digital, download and stream era …. ANY average singer can have No.1 spot, like that guy from (ex-)One Direction, Zayen Malik (how this could happen is beyond me)

The price of the digital download is sooooo low that any stupid song can be No.1.

In the 70s, 80s and even in the 90s, all the people had to buy the physical copies of singles or albums (LP, Cassette, or CD)

Today, you can buy one album for 0.99 cent.

WTF?

And… the new rules of Billboard allow to co.cout the streaming into sales….

Its insane.

I couldn’t name more than one of her “songs” if my life depended on it.
And only because that “song” includes the word “umbrella” in it like a thousand times. Must consider the quality of the work before it becomes a hit.

That’s easy to do now that artist are dropping new singles every week.

Only in the internet you read this but i don’t really hear her music on the radio which is good!!
Rihanna is a product not a real artist.

She should have a million songs bc she puts out a new album every second. Her record company is all about money, the focus is quantity not quality which is exactly why she has #$%$ songs.

She needs to take more control over her career. They are trying to push this headline bc her album didn’t sell as good as usual , they need something positive to say.

No one cares about how many #$%$ songs this singer has, we care about how good the songs are. Work sounds just like everything else she pushed out in the past. Her albums are all the same.

ILoveHIStory;4137974 said:
Rihanna has 14 number ones in the US….REALLY? Because TWO of her songs are by OTHER artists TI (Live Your Life and Eminem Monster) she sings CHORUS on both and gets credit for number one.

MJ has had 13 number ones in the US….BUT hold on ! He has had 4 Number ones also with the Jackson 5 where he SANG THE ENTIRE SONGS and 1 with USA FOR

By that ESTIMATION Michael Jackson’s TALLY is IN FACT 18 Number 1 US singles.. BILLBOARD are fukin bending the rules for some artists…What a JOKE !!

Anyway…. today, in the digital, download and stream era …. ANY average singer can have No.1 spot, like that guy from (ex-)One Direction, Zayen Malik (how this could happen is beyond me)

The price of the digital download is sooooo low that any stupid song can be No.1.

In the 70s, 80s and even in the 90s, all the people had to buy the physical copies of singles or albums (LP, Cassette, or CD)

WTF?

Its insane.

And only because that “song” includes the word “umbrella” in it like a thousand times. Must consider the quality of the work before it becomes a hit.

That’s easy to do now that artist are dropping new singles every week.

Only in the internet you read this but i don’t really hear her music on the radio which is good!!
Rihanna is a product not a real artist.

She should have a million songs bc she puts out a new album every second. Her record company is all about money, the focus is quantity not quality which is exactly why she has #$%$ songs.

She needs to take more control over her career. They are trying to push this headline bc her album didn’t sell as good as usual , they need something positive to say.

No one cares about how many #$%$ songs this singer has, we care about how good the songs are. Work sounds just like everything else she pushed out in the past. Her albums are all the same.

I copy and pasted this from my post in the chart watch thread-_-

"MJ is beyond numbers his impact on the music industry is unparalleled, so Rihanna beating this record means nothing.
Additionally, along with his many other records he also has one of the most coveted records in the music industry which is best selling album."
"Another thing to note is that Rihanna herself is a Michael Jackson fan and has even went as far as to dress like him, so I'm sure she herself knows she isn't on or anywhere near MJ's level because she "beat" a record."

Furthermore, as an addition to my original post I must say that while at first it's annoying that other artist that aren't 1/4 as good as MJ are compared to him, after a while you begin to realize that it's done so often because MJ is the standard and the epitome of what and entertainer should be.:clap:

MJ is the measuring stick and impossible to reach benchmark that ALL other artist (male or female, young or old, past or present) are measured by.:yes:

Her record company is all about money, the focus is quantity not quality which is exactly why she has #$%$ songs.
You're taking this a little too seriously. It doesn't matter how much it costs, people will only buy the song if they like it. If it cost one penny, if a person doesn't like a song, they're not likely to buy it. I remember buying 45 singles for $1.25 to $1.75 each depending on the store. Technically, that's cheaper because a 45 has 2 songs on it, and you're only getting 1 song in the case of the 99 cent download. Billboard changed a few years ago. That's how Lil' Wayne passed up Elvis Presley & James Brown as having the most songs on the Hot 100 chart. As far as the record companies go, they're always been about money. That's why they gave the acts ripoff contracts. It's no different than any other time.

"Another thing to note is that Rihanna herself is a Michael Jackson fan and has even went as far as to dress like him, so I'm sure she herself knows she isn't on or anywhere near MJ's level because she "beat" a record.
But Mike doesn't have the record. The Beatles do, and Rihanna hasn't passed them up, at least not yet

Meh, who cares. Good on Rihanna.

Michael Jackson's legacy is so influential and powerful that Rihanna beating this record doesn't change a single thing. Did Mariah Carey topping his record years and years ago alter how everyone sees Michael? Nope, not in the slightest, and Rihanna's record won't either.

They're not bending the rules. One of Michael's #1's is Paul McCartney's Say Say Say, which MJ obviously features on so that is counted as one of his #1's (in similar style to Rihanna featuring on those songs).

For the songs he did with The Jackson 5, he is not officially credited in the name (i.e. "I Want You Back - The Jackson 5 feat. Michael Jackson"), hence it's not counted towards his #1's as a solo artist. If they did count these, the top five positions would be flooded with Paul McCartney, John Lennon, Ringo Starr and George Harrison for all their #1's as solo artists in addition to their #1's as The Beatles.

It happens because he is a popular singer from one of the biggest boybands of the decade. I'm sure there are many average artists in the 70s/80s who reached #1 (or the Top Ten) simply because they're well known and the song was decent enough for people to like (as with Zayn's song)

WTF?

I assume most singles in the olden days were similarly priced to each other, just like how every song is similarly priced to each other now. So no, it doesn't mean "anyone" can have a #1, they still have to fight.

Although yes, they are cheaper and more convenient to buy so more singles are now being sold than ever, which is why Wikipedia splits digital singles from physical singles in it's article for best selling singles. However, it's still something as you not only have to convince someone to part with their money (even if it's cheaper than the past), but you also have to convince them not to get it for free online which is mindblowingly easy to do. Oh yeah, you also have to compete with the ever-rising popularity of streaming services like Spotify and Apple Music.

Also, 99.99% of albums aren't sold for 99 cents. Yes, Google will often give some away a certain album on it's Google Play service, but this is only for a few days at most - certainly not enough to majorly effect any sales. I guarantee that if you compare the prices of an album's CD at Walmart (or whatever) and the price of it on iTunes/Google Play, not only will 99.99% of the albums you look up will be more than 99 cents, but that most of them will feature similar prices regardless of it being CD or digital (give or take a bit ofc).

Its insane.

Yup. The way people consume music has changed dramatically over the past decade and, given that Billboard has always been about tracking popular music, it has to be accounted for. If Michael was still producing popular music today then his music would be accounted for this way too.

Well, I mean, that's really more on you than anyone else.

They are trying to push this headline bc her album didn’t sell as good as usual , they need something positive to say.

Well of course it didn't sell as well as usual, they gave away literally hundreds and hundreds of thousands of copies for free (and I was one of those people who snatched it up for free).

Also, how can you say all her albums are all the same if you can't name a single song of her besides Umbrella? Evidently you're barely familiar with her music to give such an opinion :p

I love when Historic comes in and schools people before I do. Saves me time :D

I’m sure not Rihanna’s fan but I have to say that comparing with other young singers that I’m not fan of too… Rihanna seems to work hard for this result. We can debate as for the quality of her music and so on but she seems to be one determined woman. I’m not saying she’s doing some unbelievable job though.

As for her to pass anyone, good for her. Good luck. It does not give her more points as for talent and does not take away a thing from Michael, IMO.
That is just different times, different rules.

Welp, looks like I'm a Rihanna fan now. Better throw away my Michael Jackson collection

Mac & Jac

They're not bending the rules. One of Michael's #1's is Paul McCartney's Say Say Say, which MJ obviously features on so that is counted as one of his #1's (in similar style to Rihanna featuring on those songs).
I don't think that's exactly the same thing. It was not credited as "Paul McCartney feat. Michael Jackson". It was "Paul McCartney & Michael Jackson". But on the song It's The Falling In Love, Patti Austin is not officially credited as a duet partner although she is listed in the album credits. That's a straight up duet, not just singing a hook like Somebody's Watching Me by Rockwell in which Mike is not credited, even as a 'featured', so it is not considered a hit by Mike. If it was a single it would not officially count as Patti's hit, unless she was credited as a duet partner on the actual single.

Re: Mac & Jac

I don't think that's exactly the same thing. It was not credited as "Paul McCartney feat. Michael Jackson". It was "Paul McCartney & Michael Jackson". But on the song It's The Falling In Love, Patti Austin is not officially credited as a duet partner although she is listed in the album credits. That's a straight up duet, not just singing a hook like Somebody's Watching Me by Rockwell in which Mike is not credited, even as a 'featured', so it is not considered a hit by Mike. If it was a single it would not officially count as Patti's hit, unless she was credited as a duet partner on the actual single.

Yeah, I know it's not exactly the same thing, that's why I said "in similar style" (because at the end of the day, both are still "officially credited" as the main artists so to speak).

I think it really just comes down to the solo artist being officially featured as a main artist (be it the actual main artist, or the duet partner/featuring artist). So if It's the Falling in Love was released as a single, reached #1 and it was credited as "Michael Jackson & Patti Austin", it would count as a #1 for Patti Austin too. Similarly, if Somebody's Watching Me did hit #1 (it hit #2) and was credited as Rockwell ft. Michael Jackson, then yeah MJ would officially have 14 #1 hits.

From Billboard:
As for Rihanna notching her 14th Hot 100 No. 1, she has passed Michael Jackson for the third-most toppers all-time. He still leads, however, among solo males, with 13. There's also the fact that the Jackson 5 had four No. 1s, so Michael has made 17 total trips to No. 1. Actually, make that 19 … including the Jackson 5's uncredited appearance on Stevie Wonder's "You Haven't Done Nothin'" (1974) and his vocal (and co-writing credit) on USA for Africa's "We Are the World" (1985).

I wonder why Rihanna's songs that features someone else (Eminem, Britney S,T.I,Drake,Calvin H, Jay Z counts as no 1 for her, but same rules doesn't apply for MJ as he has 4 no 1 as member of J5 on top of those 13?

I got curious about this foolery and did some searching. List of Rihanna's no1 by 2012
Here are Rihanna's No. 1 singles, with number of weeks:

2006, "SOS" (three weeks at No. 1)
2007," Umbrella," featuring Jay-Z (seven)
2008, "Take a Bow" (one)
2008, "Disturbia" (two)
2008, "Live Your Life" (T.I. featuring Rihanna) (six)
2010, "Rude Boy" (five)
2010, "Love the Way You Lie" (Eminem featuring Rihanna) (seven)
2010, "What's My Name?," featuring Drake (one)
2010, "Only Girl (In the World)" (one)
2011, "S&M," featuring Britney Spears (one)
2011, "We Found Love," featuring Calvin Harris (10)
2012, "Diamonds" (one to date)

(since 2012 she got few more)

6 of the songs has featuring someone, and 1 of those is not even Rihanna's but Eminem's song, in which she was the featuring bit:scratch:

It doesn't seem to be very fair if they don't count MJ's no 1 as J5, if they can count song from Eminem ft Rihanna as one of Rihanna's no 1:doh:

Last edited:
I wonder why Rihanna's songs that features someone else (Eminem, Britney S,T.I,Drake,Calvin H, Jay Z counts as no 1 for her, but same rules doesn't apply for MJ as he has 4 no 1 as member of J5 on top of those 13?

Because officially those songs are credited to Rihanna as a solo artist, whereas the other songs that feature MJ aren't officially credited to him as a solo artist. The solo artist needs their individual name in the main credits for it to be credited to them as a "Solo #1" so to speak.

It's why Say Say Say, which is credited to "Paul McCartney & Michael Jackson", counts as a #1 for Solo MJ, but "I Want You Back" which is credited to "The Jackson 5" isn't credited to Solo MJ. You know how MJ broke off from The Jacksons in the 80s and they released an album that was mostly absent of MJ's vocals? Let's say they released a single that featured Michael on the chorus, it reached #1, and the single was officially credited as "The Jacksons feat. Michael Jackson", that would count as a #1 for MJ as a solo artist. If he went uncredited or his name went under the alias of The Jacksons, then it wouldn't count as a #1 for him as a solo artist. Similarly, if Rihanna was in a band, had another #1 but was credited under the alias of the bandname, it wouldn't count as a #1 for her as a solo artist.

People here might not like "features" counting as a #1 for Rihanna because it's a "feature" and not a "duet" necessarily, but that doesn't change the fact Rihanna plays a significant role in the song, like Monster for example. Yes, it's an Eminem song and he raps the verses, but Rihanna performed the main hook/chorus on top of helping write her part (and honestly, if Michael performed chorus only on someone else's song, the song was credited to him in the same fashion - [Artist] feat. Michael Jackson - and it hit #1, everyone here would be saying it should count).

In regards to your query that I quoted, the same rules do apply for MJ. His song IJCSTLY features Siedah Garett and yet it still counts as a #1 for Michael (same with Say Say Say, even if that appears on a Paul McCartney album). Same again, if LNFSG reached #1 instead of #10, which is officially credited to Michael Jackson feat. Justin Timberlake, it would count as another #1 for MJ.

Speaking of Paul McCartney, it's the exact same reason why Macca isn't up there as #1 despite having 31 number ones in his career:
-20 of which are from his work with The Beatles,
-6 with his post-Beatles band Wings (sometimes credited as Paul McCartney & Wings),
-3 of which are credited to Paul along with someone else (Linda McCartney, Stevie Wonder, and Michael Jackson respectively)
-2 which are solely credited to himself.

So yes, I'm pretty sure it comes down to how the track is credited officially. While a solo artist can have more #1's if they've done work under different names (be it the name of a band or supergroup they're in) or even done so uncredited, it seems they need to have their solo name credited in the "main artists" of a song for it to be officially counted. It seems pretty consistent across the board with different artists to me.

^^Thanks for the reply. Mostly it makes sense, but I still refuse to accept that Eminem's song ft Rihanna counts as one no 1 song for Rihanna:)

If they go with these funny rules, they should accept We Are The World as one of MJ's no 1 songs too as it was MJ ft bunch of other people:)

credit

If they go with these funny rules, they should accept We Are The World as one of MJ's no 1 songs too as it was MJ ft bunch of other people:)
If that's the case, then it should count as a #1 for everybody on the song. :D It could even be considered a Quincy Jones song, since it's pretty much like some of his albums in which he has other singers and famous session musicians. Stuff Like That is considered a Quincy hit, not really one for the singers on it (Ashford & Simpson and Chaka Khan). The Secret Garden does officially credit the singers (Al B. Sure, James Ingram, El DeBarge, Barry White) on the single. For jazz acts like Quincy, a guest singer might not be officially credited. On The Crusaders' Street Life, Randy Crawford is not credited and Janet Jackson & Lisa Keith are not officially credited on Herb Alpert's Diamonds. Bill Withers is not credited on Just The Two Of Us by Grover Washington Jr, but the song has appeared on Greatest Hits compilations by Bill. There's also the case that a guest might not want credit or they refuse credit because their record label won't approve it. This is generally if the main act is on a competitor label. The guest might use a fake name. This has happened with members of The Beatles.

Technically, session musicians like the Wrecking Crew, Funk Brothers, Muscle Shoals, Toto, etc. have more hits than anyone, but they're not credited. Country singer George Strait has 44 number one singles and around
85 Top 10s on the country chart in Billboard. Which is more than anyone else on any other chart. But he has little presence on the Top 100 though.

Back