Did Michael make a fashion statement?

Sabonoa

Proud Member
Just curious about this , was wondering some of other fans views on it. I know he loved to be daring with make up , i.e the lipstick and eyeliner . I have seen over the years a couple of pics where he did wear women clothing. Just curious , do you think he had some ideas to use something like that in a music video?

Re: Did Michael sometimes crossdress?

^^??? I've never seen anything like that except I guess that one time in the Middle East when he covered up. I wouldn't call that cross dressing.
The permanent makeup (eyeliner) was just to make his life easier, I think.

^^??? I've never seen anything like that except I guess that one time in the Middle East when he covered up. I wouldn't call that cross dressing.
yeah, me neither. I've never seen him wear women's clothes

readImage

He did not "cross-dress" in the sense that he dressed to look like a woman but if he thought something looked nice, he didn't refuse to wear it just because the label said it was meant for women either. Didn't he say he found the black glitter jacket he wore on Motown 25 in his mother's closet? Or what about that woman who said Michael admired her jeans and begged her if he could try them on?

Some other examples:

article-2234414-16021867000005DC-345_306x537.jpg
fall-2007.jpg

Balmain.jpg

3694815043_87ecdf79b2_o.jpg

In none of these images does he look (or try to look) like a woman though, which is what is traditionally understood by "cross-dressing". I know lots of women who wear men's clothes on occasion but nobody would call that cross-dressing, lol.

Just FYI, you don't need to wear masculine or feminine clothes full-time to be considered a cross-dresser. You don't need to have a 100% masculine or feminine appearance either - think Conchita Wurst with beard.

^^Yes, his mothers jacket or the Balmain stuff is not cross dressing IMO. More uni-sex if anything.

What LindaG said.

MJ did not have qualms about wearing a woman's jacket sometimes or make-up, but that's not really cross-dressing. He did not try to look like he was a woman. For example, here he wears a jacket designed for women but it's not to look like a woman. In fact, his outfit as a whole is pretty masculine despite of the fact the jacket was designed for females.

article-2234414-16021867000005DC-345_306x537.jpg

I wear man's pieces of clothes sometimes, am I a cross-dresser for that? LOL.

And I don't even get the Ghosts reference.

I wear a lot of military type jackets because I'm thin and they look good. Or i was real into that 'Annie Hall' look when i was younger. I don't think of that as cross dressing.
I don't remember cross dressing in Ghosts either.

Last edited:

Just FYI, you don't need to wear masculine or feminine clothes full-time to be considered a cross-dresser. You don't need to have a 100% masculine or feminine appearance either - think Conchita Wurst with beard.

Nor do you need to wear clothes that were specifically designed for your gender 100% of the time in order not to be considered a cross-dresser. Many women like to wear men's jeans ("boyfriend jeans") from time to time because they're more comfortable, are they cross-dressers? Many male entertainers (see examples below) wear female clothes or accessoiries because they tend to be more stylish, are they cross-dressers? Not everything needs a special label.

Who-Wears-Balmain-Jacket-Best.jpg

^ MJ would have totally loved this jacket btw.

kanye_west_blouse.jpg

In the US people have been doing this for years. Katherine Hepburn and Marlene Dietrich started the men's wear trend in the 30s and now most women wear slacks. It doesn't mean we are cross dressers. We are not identifying with another gender.
I don't feel bad about wearing slacks or boyfriend jackets or ties or fedoras. I think they're cute.

It's rare to see a man wear a skirt (Jaden, Kanye) and I don't think they're doing it to be cross dressers, but a fashion statement that I doubt will catch on.

If this was an article in the tabloids, you'd all be rightly up in arms, calling them trash, yet on a fan board this is acceptable?

The man is the greatest musician to ever lived and for forty years made some of the best music and video ever to grace humanity and we discuss possible cross dressing??

I know that we may have discussed everything else to death but this is ridiculous and double standards.

As others have already said, I also don't believe wearing clothes designed for another gender truly qualifies as cross-dressing. Plenty of us, girls love to wear men's shirts and tees with NO intention whatsoever to appear masculine. I actually think it's one of the most feminine things one can do :p I also don't believe it was Michael intention to do any real gender bending with his choices of clothes either. Thank goodness he stuck to the clothes only, can you imagine what it would have been like if he had actually pretended to be a woman? lol

The pictures posted demonstrate his more or less sudden interest in female fashion back in 2008/09, but during the same period I've noticed a truly disturbing (let us call it) trend in which he would wear skulls and stuff. As far back as Halloween 2008 if I'm not mistaken up till that ugly, white t-shirt in early June 2009. They kind of have a strange and prophetic feel about them in the context of what took place on June 25th.

On a lighter note now - I actually have somewhere on my computer a funny picture which could fit rather well in the context of this whole convo about genders wearing all kinds of items, but I'm afraid it is a bit to spicy for now. I guess I'll have to dig it up at some later point in time........

Yes, but that's nothing to be ashamed of. There's nothing, absolutely nothing wrong with you nor anyone doing the same. If you enjoyed it, you can do it again (although I suggest getting your own underwear, just for the sake of hygiene). If not, that's fine, too.

Your definition of cross dressing differs from the majority here evidently, but thats nothing to be ashamed of.

Just to demonstrate how silly these labels are...

Michael is NOT a cross-dresser when he's wearing this jacket:

michael_jackson_bruce_springsteen_beer_budweiser_we_are_the_world1.jpg

Or this one:
dangerous_jacket_blk.JPG

Or this one:

images

Or this one:

Madame-Tussauds-Wax-Museum-michael-jackson-7215896-317-500.jpg

But if he wears this one he's purposefully defying gender stereotypes constructed in a patriarchal society:

michael-jackson-in-balmain-jeans-jessie-jt-7.jpg

Maybe I'm not attuned to this kind of stuff but when I look at this, I just see a guy who likes gold and black jackets, nothing more and nothing less.

I'm not saying Michael did not defy gender stereotypes in his own way but I think he achieved this more by simply not caring about any type of stereotypes in the first place (whether gender, age, sexuality, race) rather than purposefully wearing women's clothes to make a statement. To me there has to be some kind of intent in cross-dressing, it can't be wearing clothes that are essentially unisex (after all, what makes the last jacket so much different than the ones before?) because you just like the way it looks or you think it's comfortable.

Maybe I'm not attuned to this kind of stuff but when I look at this, I just see a guy who likes gold and black jackets, nothing more and nothing less.

I'm not saying Michael did not defy gender stereotypes in his own way but I think he achieved this more by simply not caring about any type of stereotypes in the first place (whether gender, age, sexuality, race) rather than purposefully wearing women's clothes to make a statement. To me there has to be some kind of intent in cross-dressing, it can't be wearing clothes that are essentially unisex (after all, what makes the last jacket so much different than the ones before) because you just like the way it looks or you think it's comfortable.

Yes exactly. He wasnt wearing these clothes to feel or look feminine or to look like a woman. He wore them because he thought they suited his look, or just plain liked them. He was definitely ignoring the barriers of male/female clothing items, but common sense shows that there is a massive difference between wearing an item of clothing of the opposite gender and criss dressing. Its just plain common sense at the end of the day.

Michael Jackson did not cross dress. If that was the case then everyone would be a cross dresser, thus making the term redundant.

What if Michael cross dressed, many of us have done it and what was considered strictly for either gender, it's not on the XXI century. Society evolves and their standards as well

Cross-dressing is the act of wearing items of clothing and other accoutrements commonly associated with the opposite sex within a particular society. Cross-dressing has been used for purposes of disguise, comfort, and self-actualization in modern times and throughout history.

Even if these jackets were designed for women to wear them, Michael made them look masculine and absolutely rocked them. Was this thread really necessary?

ea744317818ed7e257f5de11036687fa.jpg

beverlyhilhs-1june2009-2.jpg

I do get all *shake my head no* to the 'gender dressing' and yeah, I admit I do wear Men clothes but only cause they are comfy and I like the 'design' or even the 'color' and that's it really!

Michael didn't always follow the 'gender rules' too and I'm sure it is for the same reasons as above. If he liked it, he wore it, period. He was like a trendsetter.

Michael did say "If fashion says its forbidden, I'll wear it anyway" or something in the line of it :unsure:

The piccies shows just that fashion isn't designed 'strictly for women or men. If you feel comfy in it, wear it okay!

Last edited:

Shouldn't this be locked as nonsense. First time poster, one post and its gossip like. Time for a lock dance!

You can probably tell by my signature that I've always admired this outfit haha, he looks so amazing in it! I'd totally kill for my own pair :p (and yeah, I'm a boy).

The pictures posted demonstrate his more or less sudden interest in female fashion back in 2008/09,
That's the Balmain collection you're talking about, and I don't think he had any kind of sudden interest in female fashion with that. A LOT of fashion critics were comparing that whole collection back then to Michael's military look. THIS season, they did it again, even more extravagantly, and THIS time they did say they were copying the Michael Jackson look. (both women and men's clothing)

15.jpg

Lookbook-Men-Balmain-HM-7.jpg

but during the same period I've noticed a truly disturbing (let us call it) trend in which he would wear skulls and stuff. As far back as Halloween 2008 if I'm not mistaken up till that ugly, white t-shirt in early June 2009. They kind of have a strange and prophetic feel about them in the context of what took place on June 25th.
You're talking about that Ed Hardy stuff that he was wearing-he was friends with the designer. Not only he was, but Madonna was wearing his stuff at the time too.
I really hated most of the Ed Hardy stuff except for this one outfit-loved it-and broke my heart during the trial when I realized that this was the last outfit he ever wore-I got myself a t-shirt with this bulldog wearing a crown on it-just to pay tribute. I could only find one that was XXXXXLL so it looks like a dress on me. :)

michael-jackson-and-ed-hardy-gallery.png

What is it then? I've always known this term as wanting to look or feel a part of another gender-as Linda said above.

Somebody throwing on his sisters tee wouldn't be cross dressing as I know the term. A man putting on his sister's dress is.
And you know, if people want to do that, it's ok. I don't think that was Michael's intention. And I guess if my brother started wearing my dresses I would ask him about it. But only if it was my own brother. I wouldn't ask a man on the street!

It's just about enjoying wearing clothes that are intended for another gender. If someone identifies as a gender that was not assigned them at birth, they are transpeople. But cross-dressers are not necessarily transpeople. I'm a woman regardless of what I wear.

It's just about enjoying wearing clothes that are intended for another gender. If someone identifies as a gender that was not assigned them at birth, they are transpeople. But cross-dressers are not necessarily transpeople. I'm a woman regardless of what I wear.
I get the difference. But I think the clothes that we're showing in the examples are not necessarily meant for either gender-irregardless if they are made in women's or men's sizes. They're not gender specific. So they don't qualify as "cross dressing."

Nevertheless, it gave us a chance to post some pictures of some great clothes!

@sabanoa, have you any input yourself or is that it for you?

I came across photos of him (?) in St Tropez, France, with Paris where he was wearing a headscarf and stilettos. http://s46.photobucket.com/user/katiezo/media/octobera/jacksondragheader.jpg.html :dontknow:

Except that is not him. It was claimed by some trashy tabloid it was him, later it was denied and the tabloid itself admitted it was not him. If it isn't clear from the fact that it is clearly a female body that does not resemble his body.

Give it up. He was not a cross-dresser.

that doesn't even look like him....

Back