Michael Jackson is #17 most popular artist on YouTube

HIStory

Proud Member
YouTube has this new feature which lists the Top 100 artist based on the overall popularity of their videos. MJ is at the impressive 17th place: https://www.youtube.com/yt/artists/charts.html

Only current acts are ahead of him.

ETA: It's a weekly chart. So 52.9 million views - that's for a week.

Clipboard02.jpg

Last edited:
Pretty impressive since MJ is not here with us anymore...

That's great, thanx for sharing.

Is this linked to YouTube VEVO? Or is this any YouTube video?

dancinmachine51;4140242 said:
That's great, thanx for sharing.

Is this linked to YouTube VEVO? Or is this any YouTube video?

Not only VEVO.

How are Music Insights calculated?

[h=3]YouTube Music Insights[/h] We know the music industry already has a dizzying array of numbers and rankings, but learning more about the numbers in YouTube Music Insights is well worth your time.
[h=3]Important[/h]
  • All of the numbers in YouTube Music Insights reflect data collected SINCE September, 2014.
  • A track’s “total views” reflect views of videos that use all or part of a track – including official videos, live videos, fan videos, commercials, etc.
  • An artist’s “total views” are the combined views of tracks associated with the artist.

[h=3]How total views are calculated[/h] Views are counted for each track based on its International Standard Recording Code (ISRC), a “tag” that digitally identifies music tracks. On YouTube, a system called Content ID also analyzes videos automatically on behalf of the content owners.

If an ISRC is assigned to an artist’s track and is claimed by Content ID, then YouTube counts any video that includes the track. The video could use all or only part of a track.

Since September 2014 (since YT tracks views by artist) MJ has 3,144,897,595 views.

I'd like to add, as I've just learnt the methodology behind it, that they must have calculated various fake tracks that proliferate on YouTube. Just search for MJ'S unreleased tracks and dig through this all day long.

FullLipsDotNose;4140247 said:
I'd like to add, as I've just learnt the methodology behind it, that they must have calculated various fake tracks that proliferate on YouTube. Just search for MJ'S unreleased tracks and dig through this all day long.

I don't think fake unreleased songs show up on this system. They are not claimed by the content owners.

Views are counted for each track based on its International Standard Recording Code (ISRC), a “tag” that digitally identifies music tracks. On YouTube, a system called Content ID also analyzes videos automatically on behalf of the content owners.

Vicente Fernandez

I'm more surprised about Vicente Fernandez at #21. I know he has been around a long time and was a popular concert draw with the Latino audience, but didn't figure he was looked up on Youtube that much, if this is for a 2 week period.

Re: Vicente Fernandez

I'm more surprised about Vicente Fernandez at #21. I know he has been around a long time and was a popular concert draw with the Latino audience, but didn't figure he was looked up on Youtube that much, if this is for a 2 week period.

If you look at that list there are a LOT of Latino artists on it (most of them Mexican). I guess YouTube is a very popular way to listen to/watch music in the Latin world/Mexico.

Last edited:
I listen to him in the car, the satellite radio at work (more of his songs are being added now) and my laptop when I'm at home. I don't listen to him on my phone that much.

Re: Vicente Fernandez

If you look at that list there are a LOT of Latino artists on it. I guess YouTube is a very popular way to listen to/watch music in the Latin world.
It's not because he is a Latino singer, but more that his style of music, ranchera, is mainly old fashioned. I wouldn't be surprised about Ricky Martin or Pitbull. Vicente debuted in the 1960s. Not someone I would figure would get huge numbers on Youtube. It's like Dean Martin or Bing Crosby placing high on the list.

FullLipsDotNose;4140266 said:
Spanish is the second numerous language in the world, actually ^^

Yes, and the first is Chinese.

Romeo Santos (at #6), Joan Sebastian, Banda Sinaloense MS De Sergio Lizárraga, Vicente Fernández, Los Temerarios, Ana Gabriel, Aventura, Maluma, Marco Antonio Solís, Maná etc. etc. There are lots of others in the Top 100 who are Latin American.

There is also an Indian singer, Arijit Singh at 44.

So through this you get a picture of what is popular in certain other regions of the world outside of the Anglo-Saxon dominated world.

Nicky Jam ESTA ANTES QUE MICHAEL!?? :O Que pasa con la musica de hoy! :(

Perhaps there are many hispanic acts because Mexico is part of the top 10 YT users.

For an artist who can't compete fairly wiith current acts, it's great Michael is the the top 20.

Also keep in mind that this isn't only in America, this is a turf war on a global scale, and MJ is still at number 17.
What that means is Michael is still just as popular worldwide as many current acts.
MJ truly is the greatest artist and entertainer of all time.:)

Perhaps there are many hispanic acts because Mexico is part of the top 10 YT users.

For an artist who can't compete fairly wiith current acts, it's great Michael is the the top 20.

Yes, probably. I looked at it and actually Romeo Santos has the most views from ALL acts since September 2014. (Although he is not Mexican but he is Latino.) More than Justin Bieber or Taylor Swift. He has over 8 billion views, while Swift has 7 billion, Bieber 6 billion.

YT is really ruled by Latino acts. On Spotify they are not anywhere near the more international acts though.

Interesting charts, hardly heard of any of these new artists (Then again I am 40 in a few weeks). Plenty of Latina and even a Thai or some Asian language on there too. Glad MJ is doing so well. Prince would be up there too, except he has gagged Youtube so all there is, is a few recent singles, an old concert and several interviews.

MJ shoudl be number one as his music is timeless, to get 200 million views of Billie Jean is a great achievement, its obvious MJ 's celebrity endures nearly 7 years after his death.

Thanks respect. It's really amazing to see Michael doing great on YouTube too, once again better than so many active acts not to mention other musicians of his own generation.

THE KING!

:beatit:

Back