MJ Decade Album 79-89 or 80-90

mnwlkr

Proud Member
Saw this on MJ ***** today and would love to know if anyone has anymore info about it. I got so excited to see that I'll Be There was (most likely) recorded in full with the adult voice, I wonder if we heard part of this in the Pepsi commercial?

* In 1989 just after the end of '' Bad tour '', Michael Jackson entered the studios for begins to record a new material.

At the time, it was announced that Michael was planning for Christmas 1989 the launch of the first collection of successes entitled of decade '' 1979-1989 ''.

Four new songs were produced for the project as: Black or white, heal the world, it doesn't really matter (demo version of who is it) and a cover of the Beatles of strawberry fields forever were announced as exciting and great songs that would be For coming.

Michael was reluctant to do a project that looked back, but once the executives of Sony heard some of the first bands they were convinced that it would be worth a look. Back in July 1990 the project was shelved due to the flow of new material.

Next, learn a little more on the album never released from Michael Jackson:

There were two versions of '' Decade '', The first entitled 1979-1989 was planned for Christmas 1989 but Michael wasn't pleased to release the album and the second the executives of the record label they realized the recorded material could generate an album. Come with details of the editions:

1979-1989:

In the original tracklisting, highlight the primary version of who is it (it doesn't really matter) and strawberry fields forever (music of the Beatles in the voice of the MJ) both remain unpublished.

Billie Jean
Beat It
It Doesn't Really Matter **
The Girl Is Mine
Rock With You
She's Out Of My Life
Thriller
Say Say Say
The Way You Make Me Feel
Dirty Diana
Heartbreak Hotel

Black Or White
Bad
Come Together
I Just Can't Stop Loving You
Heal The World
Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough
Smooth Criminal
Strawberry Fields Forever **
Man In The Mirror

The Cover of the album would have the face of the MJ in relief still in ' was bad '' (Photo).

1980-1990:

The final version of decade: 1980-1990 would have the launch planned for November 1990, this is the final version but due to the large amount of new material recorded by Michael the project was cancelled - then the record company decided to wait another 1 Year and launch a '' New '' Album (dangerous). The highlight for the final edition is the unprecedented: I'll be there and never can say goodbye (Adult Version) and men in black.

Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough
Rock With You
Off The Wall
She's Out Of My Life
Can You Feel It
This Place Hotel
Someone In The Dark
Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'
The Girl Is Mine
Thriller
Beat It
Billie Jean
P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing)
Say Say Say
State Of Shock

Bad
The Way You Make Me Feel
Another Part Of Me
Man In The Mirror
I Just Can't Stop Loving You
Dirty Diana
Smooth Criminal
Leave Me Alone
Come Together
I'll be there (Adult Version) **
Never can say goodbye (Adult Version) **
Men in Black **
Who Is It
Gone Too Soon
Black Or White
Heal The World

The work of the cape in this version had already resemblance with the eyes of Michael in the album dangerous.

Saw it on MJ B-eats. It doesnt like that word for some reason

Totally the 1980 - 1990 version, awesome songs there and they have included the OFTW classics. Of course as we all know the project ended up being 1995's history, although History Begins sheared off some of those unreleased tracks and Someone in the dark. Plus to get songs like Say Say Say and state of shock on an official MJ release rather than buying another album by another artist. I would add "Walk right now" on to that set too.

Glad they went with Dangerous, given that was his best album.:chillin:(y)

All the record labels were obsessed with Greatest Hits collections in 1989/1990. Warner Sire got Madonna to do Immaculate Collection in late 1990 and apparently Warner Brothers pressured Prince into doing a decade collection as a response to poor sales of Lovesexy and Batman only being a hit due to the movie. Tina Turner was also approached to do one and Bruce Springsteen.

Last edited:
Reactions: MJ5
I thought he wanted to devote himself to be an actor, so I wanted to launch his latest album as a singer (Decade) to pursue acting and that was a compilation new songs. : BUGEYED

I have doubts about this. Didn't Brad Sundberg say it wasn't true that MJ re-recorded childhood songs with adult vocals with the intent of releasing it?

I have doubts about this. Didn't Brad Sundberg say it wasn't true that MJ re-recorded childhood songs with adult vocals with the intent of releasing it?

We've also had absolutely nothing said/written about Strawberry Fields Forever in all the years by anyone who's worked with him, as much as I'd like it to be true. Its my favourite Beatles song.

We've also had absolutely nothing said/written about Strawberry Fields Forever in all the years by anyone who's worked with him, as much as I'd like it to be true. Its my favourite Beatles song.

Yeah thats right, in all the years nobody has mentioned any of these tracks, I really hope it is true though.

Bill Bottrell insisted over on the Gearslutz forum that the only Beatles song Michael ever recorded was Come Together.

Bill Bottrell insisted over on the Gearslutz forum that the only Beatles song Michael ever recorded was Come Together.

Well he could have recorded these songs without Brad and Bill and have other engineers work on them. I'm really curious about this. I believe this to be true, the whole decade concept, but the tracklist to be inauthentic.

I asked Brad Buxer and Brad Sundberg about this. Buxer couldn't remember it. Sundberg said there was many projects presented to Michael and he said he remembered this being one of them.

Well he could have recorded these songs without Brad and Bill and have other engineers work on them. I'm really curious about this. I believe this to be true, the whole decade concept, but the tracklist to be inauthentic.

Very true. I only reference this because Bill is the only person to ever acknowledge the song in any way and is a good enough source. He was incredibly active around the Bad and Dangerous period and was the only producer to work with Michael on a Beatles song, so one would imagine he would at least be aware of it.

Very true. I only reference this because Bill is the only person to ever acknowledge the song in any way and is a good enough source. He was incredibly active around the Bad and Dangerous period and was the only producer to work with Michael on a Beatles song, so one would imagine he would at least be aware of it.

Its also a big big task taking on a Beatles song- I'd imagine no one would forget MJ taking on the beautiful and amazing Strawberry Fields Forever

I would have loved to hear MJ sing some of his old songs as an adult. - Not live, we have that 30th anniversary which is great!

But studio version of Never Can Say Goodbye and I'll Be There would be nice.

Would have loved to hear adult MJ sing "Who's Loving You" too. - Could he pull it off?

Hope he recorded some Beatles stuff. - After he bought the rights I always thougt he would do so. :)

I would have loved to hear MJ sing some of his old songs as an adult. - Not live, we have that 30th anniversary which is great!

Would have loved to hear adult MJ sing "Who's Loving You" too. - Could he pull it off?

Hope he recorded some Beatles stuff. - After he bought the rights I always thougt he would do so. :)

He recorded Come Together. Not sure if he covered something else.

Totally the 1980 - 1990 version, awesome songs there and they have included the OFTW classics. Of course as we all know the project ended up being 1995's history, although History Begins sheared off some of those unreleased tracks and Someone in the dark. Plus to get songs like Say Say Say and state of shock on an official MJ release rather than buying another album by another artist. I would add "Walk right now" on to that set too.

Glad they went with Dangerous, given that was his best album.:chillin:(y)

All the record labels were obsessed with Greatest Hits collections in 1989/1990. Warner Sire got Madonna to do Immaculate Collection in late 1990 and apparently Warner Brothers pressured Prince into doing a decade collection as a response to poor sales of Lovesexy and Batman only being a hit due to the movie. Tina Turner was also approached to do one and Bruce Springsteen.
How ironic is that I'm listening to walk right now....right now lmao :eek: :)

God i want to hear an adult version of who's loving you....bad era! I also wonder could he still sing that & how would he. He did use the "SIT DOWN GIRL" part from abc on work that body & i wonder when he did that was he messing with old j5 tracks resinging them & got around to record "I'll be there" & never can say goodbye"

Honestly I think it'd be cool if MJ had a duet with his younger self! One verse is done by 11 year old MJ then it jumps to 31 year old MJ, then them together on the choruses :D

Honestly I think it'd be cool if MJ had a duet with his younger self! One verse is done by 11 year old MJ then it jumps to 31 year old MJ, then them together on the choruses :D
Kind of cool but lol i do that now with certain songs. I mixed I'll be there from there cher show. I would love to get the studio track that they prerecorded for her show

HIStoric;4141163 said:

In fact, such a duet does exist.

During his last commercial that MJ did for Pepsi, he sings (as an adult) some of the lines from ‘I’ ll Be There’ along with his younger voice (that was taken also from that song).

But, it is unknown if a complete adult version of ‘I’ll Be There’ still exists.

[video=youtube;8VXCdZdQcvs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VXCdZdQcvs[/video]

mj_frenzy;4141180 said:
In fact, such a duet does exist.

During his last commercial that MJ did for Pepsi, he sings (as an adult) some of the lines from ‘I’ ll Be There’ along with his younger voice (that was taken also from that song).

But, it is unknown if a complete adult version of ‘I’ll Be There’ still exists.

[video=youtube;8VXCdZdQcvs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VXCdZdQcvs[/video]

Is that really the voice of young michael? Deson't sound like him at all.

Is that really the voice of young michael? Deson't sound like him at all.
Yes, but it sounds as though from 1973(ish) rather than 1970. Interesting…

Edit: Lapsus recte.

Last edited:
I like the tracklists: inclusions of say say say, heartbreak hotel, working day and night etc make sense

But music and me does not make sense, why not off the wall?

Back