Would you go see a MJ hologram concert?

Ms. BlueGangsta

Proud Member
I made this thread to discuss whether or not you would go see a MJ hologram concert.

And no I'm not talking about the tragedy that was the Billboard STTR performance.:no:
I'm talking about if the hologram was completely digitally rendered so that it looked, and moved JUST like MJ himself.:yes:

Additionally, don't hate me for making this thread, I just want opinions and answers.:yes:

Lastly, due to how strongly I know how some people feel about this subject, I'm going to ask that you please not fight.:no:

Debates are okay, but no fights, so don't form factions, and put away your pitchforks and torches. :)

Fights only lead to the derailing of a thread.:yes:

So without further ado let the discussion begin.:D

That's an interesting question. If as you say it was done to the highest quality and was as close to the man himself as one could get, to be honest yes I probably would. I'd be too curious not to.
To be honest with technology leaping ahead the way it is, they'll only get more realistic. My only concern is staying true to who the artist was in life.

It upsets me enough as it is. At the very horrible thought of there being one. So definitely no I will not go to one. Even if the concert was 100% free I still will not go. It is not the same. And it never ever will be.:( :boohoo

If the technology would allow them to project existing video footage, say, Motown 25, as a hologram, then maybe I'd consider it - it'd be like a new way to present an existing concert film, I guess. But I am not interested in digital recreations, let alone them creating 'new' performances.

Nothing is going to feel like really seeing Michael anyway. Personally I think there are much better ways to remember Michael by and I hope the Estate invests in those.

Before I could decide something like this, I'd really have to see where we are technology wise, and what sort of projection is it. Is it a "new" MJ? If so how close is his dancing, aura and the like compared to the original MJ? If it's older footage of him (saying at a Bad concert from '88) that's been "converted" to hologram, I would be more inclined.

Like I said, I'd have to see. It could be a completely different playing field come 10 years time.

no, I would not go see it. I have seen the real thing, and I am more than fine with that. and would not want to watch a fake Michael. I don't care how good it looks. never gonna have to see him again is something I will never get used to, no matter how long he's been gone. and a hologram would certainly not make up for it. nothing would. video/pictures/dreams. those are the only places where I ever want to see him for the rest of my life. that's all I need

no, I would not go see it. I have seen the real thing, and I am more than fine with that. and would not want to watch a fake Michael. I don't care how good it looks. never gonna have to see him again is something I will never get used to, no matter how long he's been gone. and a hologram would certainly not make up for it. nothing would. video/pictures/dreams. those are the only places where I ever want to see him for the rest of my life. that's all I need

Truth to that. But what if they can create a hologram out of existing footage in the future? Would you refuse to watch it? I mean let them take any existing Bad tour footage and build a hologram from it. No impersonators involved. Just Michael's original footage presented as a hologram. We have Michael in form of movies, soon-ish in 3D, so why not as a hologram when technology is ready/capable of creating it?

Truth to that. But what if they can create a hologram out of existing footage in the future? Would you refuse to watch it? I mean let them take any existing Bad tour footage and build a hologram from it. No impersonators involved. Just Michael's original footage presented as a hologram. We have Michael in form of movies, soon-ish in 3D, so why not as a hologram when technology is ready/capable of creating it?

yeah, I guess...Idk...maybe. I would probably go if it was Jackson 5

yeah, I guess...Idk...maybe. I would probably go if it was Jackson 5

I think I get what you mean. It'll be different to deal with it at a point when technology and real life meld.
(This was just my assumption, please correct me when I'm wrong)

I think I get what you mean. It'll be different to deal with it at a point when technology and real life meld.
(This was just my assumption, please correct me when I'm wrong)

yes, you are right. had I not been to any concerts with him, I probably would go see it. because that's my reason why I would go if it was Jackson 5, because I have always wanted to see them so bad, but was born too late

No, it's just not the same :( I'd rather watch original footage on DVD/PC/whatever but not an hologram concert.

I'm not sure. I would consider only if they would use real footage of Michael. I wouldn't go to see any impersonator's hologram.

I never seen Michael in person footage of Michael would be a great ideas to do a hologram i agree but if it is a impersonators i will not go. They need to improve first.

Tbh making a hologram of an impersonator is tacky as all get out.

Fully digitally render MJ, and rotoscope his movements or don't do it all is how I feel.

I saw a article about MJ's hologram performing at some college campus.
I'm not sure if it's true though.

Before I could decide something like this, I'd really have to see where we are technology wise, and what sort of projection is it. Is it a "new" MJ? If so how close is his dancing, aura and the like compared to the original MJ? If it's older footage of him (saying at a Bad concert from '88) that's been "converted" to hologram, I would be more inclined.

Like I said, I'd have to see. It could be a completely different playing field come 10 years time.

I understand what your saying, and I think it would make the most sense to use HIStory, This is It, or Dangeorus era MJ because that's how most people remember him.
They could put new outfits on him though, (as long as they stuck to his grand military/royal style).

That why is best to use footage that they have on Michael now like you mention.

I understand what your saying, and I think it would make the most sense to use HIStory, This is It, or Dangeorus era MJ because that's how most people remember him.
They could put new outfits on him though, (as long as they stuck to his grand military/royal style).

Nah, I have to respectfully disagree. I don't think it'd really matter if they used footage of him from the earlier days. I also wouldn't be against new outfits so long as they kept to MJ's style! (but I'm sure a number of fans would complain about it).

You know what would be cool though? Have a 2-3 hour holographic concert that focuses on the journey of Michael's career. So you start off with a little holographic Motown era Michael in the Jackson 5, then as the concert progresses, we see him transition into his Jacksons self, then him throughout his various eras as an adult solo artist! Each era can use footage from the respective eras (or at least use it as a base, depending on technological requirements) and they can pick his very best performances from each era! Then conclude it the way he was going to end This Is It, with him hopping off on a plane and flying out ^_^

Nah, I have to respectfully disagree. I don't think it'd really matter if they used footage of him from the earlier days. I also wouldn't be against new outfits so long as they kept to MJ's style! (but I'm sure a number of fans would complain about it).

You know what would be cool though? Have a 2-3 hour holographic concert that focuses on the journey of Michael's career. So you start off with a little holographic Motown era Michael in the Jackson 5, then as the concert progresses, we see him transition into his Jacksons self, then him throughout his various eras as an adult solo artist! Each era can use footage from the respective eras (or at least use it as a base, depending on technological requirements) and they can pick his very best performances from each era! Then conclude it the way he was going to end This Is It, with him hopping off on a plane and flying out ^_^

That would be pretty cool!

But at this point in time I have no idea how the plane thing would work because most "holograms" are actually just peppers ghost, but hey let's dream big and hope technology catches up.:)

That would be pretty cool!

But at this point in time I have no idea how the plane thing would work because most "holograms" are actually just peppers ghost, but hey let's dream big and hope technology catches up.:)

Oh well I'm not thinking peppers ghost, I'm envisioning it in the nearish-future when they finally work out how to do actual 3D holograms... like the ones in Star Wars that can be seen from different angles... just in full colour and not with the blue tint/transparency :p

r2-d2-580_29345a.jpg

As for the plane thing, I imagined them just doing it in a similar way to what Michael planned to in 2009. Unless the projection technology allows them to project the hologram "anywhere" in the arena, in which case they literally could have a holographic plane fly over the audience and up into the ceiling :D

Oh well I'm not thinking peppers ghost, I'm envisioning it in the nearish-future when they finally work out how to do actual 3D holograms... like the ones in Star Wars that can be seen from different angles... just in full colour and not with the blue tint/transparency :p

r2-d2-580_29345a.jpg

As for the plane thing, I imagined them just doing it in a similar way to what Michael planned to in 2009. Unless the projection technology allows them to project the hologram "anywhere" in the arena, in which case they literally could have a holographic plane fly over the audience and up into the ceiling :D

That's how I want holograms to be too. :D
I'm hoping that they become a reality soon.:)

If the technology would allow them to project existing video footage, say, Motown 25, as a hologram, then maybe I'd consider it - it'd be like a new way to present an existing concert film, I guess. But I am not interested in digital recreations, let alone them creating 'new' performances.
Completely agree, if they do they should only use what is already there, not create a 'digital Michael'. It should kind of be like the next level version of a 3D movie. For instance if they'd be able to recreate one of his concerts with actual footage of Michael but as a 3D projection that would be interesting, and I would probably go see it.

Imagine if that'd be the future, you don't put on a dvd but you have a hologram of the person projected into your living room? A life size 3D Michael that you can dance with in your own home.. now that would be cool! :D

Imagine if that'd be the future, you don't put on a dvd but you have a hologram of the person projected into your living room? A life size 3D Michael that you can dance with in your own home.. now that would be cool! :D

I remember once for school I did a small presentation on possibilities for holograms (something like that), and I presented that exact idea! Even made a little photoshop mock-up that was used on the slideshow that had this family in their living room, with a digital Michael Jackson (from the Bad era) dancing right in front of them :D

I have very mixed feelings about it...On one hand, it would be the closest I would ever get to a 'Michael Jackson experience'. I never got to see his performances first hand or be in his presence for any other occasion - I would('ve) love(d) to have something like that. On the other hand, it's still not the real thing and pretending that it was would be self delusion.

They could use footage like around 1:54 if they had a full concert from that front angle:

Of course it wouldn't be a real hologram. That Slave to the Rhythm thing looked 2D too.

I see no reason for that? his stage clothes is fine as it is. wouldn't want them to put on clothes on him that he never wore, even if it is his style. I only want to see him in his own clothes that he chose to wear himself

I'm not interested in a fake performance. It looks like people that never saw him live are the ones that's mainly interested in the idea. I saw him live and nothing else could ever come close to that experience.

Ain't nothing like the REAL THING, baby...

I never got to see his performances first hand or be in his presence for any other occasion - I would('ve) love(d) to have something like that. On the other hand, it's still not the real thing and pretending that it was would be self delusion.

Yeah I agree. I didn't have the chance to watch him live, but (although it makes me sad) I just prefer to accept the fact that I'll never have that experience (unfortunately)...

Last edited:
Back