Michael And Bubbles

AliCat

Proud Member
Apparently Michael and Bubbles became friends in 1983, "Bubbles was born in early 1983 in an Austin, Texas research facility that bred primates for animal testing. Bubbles was about eight months old.

I couldn't help but to be reminded of the 1979 film, "The Electric Horsemen," starring Robert Redford and Jane Fonda. Robert Redford's character acquired the $12 million dollar champion thoroughbred race horse. The horse is being ill treated and so Robert Redford takes it out of captivity, to live a life free of doping and ill treatment. Bubbles was being bred for research. Michael acquired him and gave him a life free from that jargon!

Jane Fonda during Jane Fonda Celebrity Auction April 19 1980 at Ambassador Hotel in Los Angeles, is when I first met Jane Fonda. I didn't bid on Robert Redford's coat from "The Electric Horseman," but I did 'win' as in highest bidder, to exercise with Jane Fonda including privately, along with 16 classes. Not too long after that Michael Jackson was hobnobbing with Jane and even went on set for the filming of "On Golden Pond." Both Michael and Jane believed in being charitable, even the rights of animals. Good for them!
actress-jane-fonda-attends-jane-fondas-second-annual-celebrity-to-picture-id141224559

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/n...ane-fondas-second-annual-news-photo/141224559

Michael’s Pets Bubbles the Chimp toy

SIWFOUTBYG.JPG

Michael’s Pets Bubbles the Chimp toy
The Michael’s Pets Bubbles the Chimp toy is a plush stuffed toy based on Michael Jackson’s pet chimpanzee Bubbles.

Background
Michael Jackson’s love of animals and menagerie of pets was well documented, and in 1986 a range of toys was released by the manufacturer Ideal. Called ‘Michael’s Pets’, the toys were co-created by Jackson himself and a portion of each sale was donated to a children’s charity.

The range was based on many of the real-life pets kept by Jackson at the Neverland Ranch. These were:

*Bubble the Chimp

*Cool Bear (based on Jackson himself)

*Jabbar the Giraffe

*Jeannine the Ostrich

*Louie the Llama

*Spanky the Dog

*Mr Bill the Security Dog

*Suzie the Bunny

*Uncle Tookie the Frog

*Muscles the Snake

Each of the toys wore a different outfit, and came with an audio cassette tape with the ‘voice’ of the animal telling a story and singing songs.

The Ideal Michael’s Pets Bubbles the Chimp toy

The Bubbles toy measures 12” tall, and is dressed in a blue uniform similar to that of a pilot. This includes a blue jacket with gold buttons and trim, a white shirt, blue tie and a white captain’s hat with the official MJ crest.

How much is a Michael’s Pets Bubbles the Chimp toy worth?
The toys in the Michael’s Pets range are fairly rare and sought after by collectors, although Bubbles is probably the most common as he was the most well-known of all the pets in real life.

Toys in good condition, still displayed in their original packaging and complete with their entire outfits and cassette tapes can sell for around $40 - $60 on auction sites such as eBay.

https://www.justcollecting.com/miscellania/michael-s-pets-bubbles-the-chimp-toy

That's sad that the Estate isn't helping out bubbles

Yes, it is. I don't know who was providing funds for his care while Mike was still alive (after he gave him up) or what changed it if he was. Bubbles has been at that sanctuary since 2005. Before anyone goes "there", I'm well aware of what Mike went through in 2005, nonetheless, pets of any kind (exotic or domesticated) are a responsibility that shouldn't be taken lightly and provisions should be allotted for their care and well being. Chimpanzees can live long lives in captivity and Bubbles is only 33 years old now.

According to the site, there are different levels of sponsorship or one could make a one time donation. Once I start my new job, I'm going to do the 1 year sponsorship of him.

Cirque-du-Soleil-comenzara-su-gira-mundial-de-Michael-Jackson-en-Mexico.jpg

Bubbles the chimp busts a move in Cirque Du Soleil's Michael Jackson show.

Bubbles at the 2:01 mark in the short film...

Michael certainly enjoyed having famous people in his short film's.

Bubbles is at the Center For Great Apes Sanctuary in Florida. Donations are accepted for his care and he can be sponsored. Here's the link to his page...

http://www.centerforgreatapes.org/meet-apes/chimpanzees/bubbles/

Edit According to the sanctuary's site, Bubbles isn't getting any funds for his care from Mike's estate. :cry:
aaww that's so cool!! I am going to donate to bubbles :D

Bubbles has been at that sanctuary since 2005.
in the Bashir interview, Michael talks about he has been moved out to an animal sanctuary?? was he at another one before he came to this one?

aaww that's so cool!! I am going to donate to bubbles :D

in the Bashir interview, Michael talks about he has been moved out to an animal sanctuary?? was he at another one before he came to this one?

The sanctuary's site said they got Bubbles and another one of Mike's chimps from a trainer that got them when Bubbles got too strong to handle.

The sanctuary's site said they got Bubbles and another one of Mike's chimps from a trainer that got them when Bubbles got too strong to handle.

yeah, but the Living With Michael Jackson documentary is from 2003

^^I was always under the impression that Michael still owned them, but they lived with the animal trainer when they got too big. Maybe that's what he meant in 2003.

^^I was always under the impression that Michael still owned them, but they lived with the animal trainer when they got too big. Maybe that's what he meant in 2003.

oh yeah....Michael did say Bubbles was with a caretaker with 40-50 other chimps (in The Footage You Weren't Meant to See). it was only Bashir who specifically used the words "animal sanctuary", in the original LWMJ. now I remember it :D

There's an update about Bubbles on the ape sanctuary FB page (Center for Great Apes) today:
(I wonder if MJ used to involve Bubbles in water fights?)

Edit: There were moments as I was reading this description when I wondered if the caregiver was thinking about Bubbles or about MJ!

Caregiver Corner on #ApeSpotlight Bubbles! Chimpanzee Caregiver Meg talks about what it's like to work with Bubbles:

"I love all of the chimpanzees at the Center, but for me, Bubbles has always been special. It was hard for me to write this because I didn’t know where to start! I was tempted to just write “Bubbles is perfect” and leave it at that, but I thought I should explain why I think he’s perfect. One of my favorite things about Bubbles is his face. He is a physically imposing guy with the sweetest face. He is very expressive with his long eyelashes and pouty lips. Some of the chimpanzees are hard to identify in their baby pictures but Bubbles is not, thanks to that trademark pout.

Every night, Bubbles makes a nest with blankets and saves one to cover himself up with and then tucks it underneath his feet. Sometimes he uses a pillowcase or a T-shirt to make his “sleeping bag”, but usually it’s a blanket. I know he wakes up early because I can hear him pant-hooting during our morning staff meeting, but he is almost always the last chimpanzee in his group to get out of his nest when I come around with breakfast.

Bubbles has a wonderful sense of humor. He loves to play chase and often takes shortcuts or changes direction, always looking back to make sure his friend (chimpanzee or human) is not too far behind. He is also very ticklish and has what I firmly believe to be the most charming, nasally laugh on the planet. When the weather warms up Bubbles will point at the hose to ask for hose drinks and showers. A lot of the chimpanzees do not like to get wet, but Bubbles loves it! He will stand up and turn around in the stream of the hose until he is completely soaked.

When we work on husbandry training with the chimpanzees we generally use small rewards like raisins to reinforce behaviors. Bubbles, however, is not very food motivated so his reward is usually just attention. When he offers me the correct body part, he gets tickles (with a backscratcher) instead of raisins. He is the only chimpanzee I work with who will train “for free”, or without treats. He seems to really enjoy spending time with his caregivers, and it’s definitely mutual. We all love Bubs!"

https://www.facebook.com/CenterForGreatApes/?hc_ref=NEWSFEED&fref=nf

Bubbles, Michael Jackson’s Chimp, Really Does Paint!

After great success at Art Basel 2012, the paintings by Michael Jackson’s chimpanzee, Bubbles, and many others will be on display for 10 days at Frames USA & Art Gallery in Miami. The opening reception will be on July 21, 2017 from 6pm-10pm where the public can view and purchase a very unique piece of original ape art.
“Purchasing a piece of original art by apes is a collectible. It creates conversation, it is a form of expression, and it is rare”, Adam Brand says, owner of Frames USA. “Not to mention that the proceeds from the sales of the art will go to an amazing cause”
Over the years, zoos and sanctuaries have dabbled into selling artwork at their gift shops by resident animals to raise money. However, the purpose of this art show, Apes that Paint, extends beyond that. It seeks to establish the fact that apes are artists without judgment and second that these ape artists are contributing to the fundraising efforts for The Center for Great Apes, located in Wauchula, Florida.
Aside from artworks from our star artist Bubbles, the exhibition will host other wonderful original pieces from celebrity apes. Among them, the art of chimpanzees from Planet of the Apes, and orangutans from the movie Going Apes, and NBC’s soap opera Passions. The crowd will enjoy complimentary food and wine sponsored by Carolina Ale House and a limited-edition gift with their RSVP to the event. For free admission and gift, RSVP at www.framesusamiami.com by July 18.
Come experience this unique art show and take an exciting piece home that will marvel friends and family, and learn about a sanctuary that helps protect chimpanzee and orangutans.

http://www.***********/bubbles-michael-jacksons-chimp-really-does-paint/

[h=3]The Center for Great Apes gives great apes sanctuary from neglect, torture, abuse, and experimentation.
[/h]
The gallery will be showcasing artwork that the great apes, including Bubbles (Michel Jackson's former pet), have created in their art therapy classes.
The artwork will be available to purchase and all proceeds will go to support the efforts of the Center.... to rescue and rehabilitate these magnificent Apes
Each purchase will include a trading card pack with a pictures of the individuals who created the painting and the back story.

This event will be catered so please RSVP by clicking on the button bellow.

[url]http://www.framesusamiami.com/frames-usa-events-1.html

[/URL]

Bubbles was so cute.

Michael and Bubbles were cute together. And it's obvious they shared a strong bond.

But it's hard to tell whether it was a father/son or brothers relationship. Bit of both maybe.

^^^

Agreed. - The footage from BAD era where they drink tea is funny. - Only MJ could pull something like that of.

Back