Leave Me Alone Appreciation

HIStory

Proud Member
I rarely hear anyone talk about this song and video, but as far as I am concerned it is one of MJ's best videos ever. I love the creativity and self-irony in it. And the song is great as well. Those layers. Anyone else feel it is an underrated gem?

Back when we still had him. That was one of my most played songs of his. I could not get enough of that song. I think I even have an extended version of that song. But now I haven't really heard that song. Since after what happen to him.:( It is now one of those MJ songs I don't bother touching anymore.:boohoo But I do agree the song is underrated.

Last edited:
Back when we still had him. That was one of my most played songs of his. I could not get enough of that song. I think I even have an extended version of that song. But now I haven't really heard that song. Since after what happen to him.:( It is now one of those MJ songs I don't bother touching anymore.:boohoo

I see a lot of your post, and often times you seem so sad about Michael's departure from earth.
It worries me, but up until now I haven't said anything.

Just remember that Michael wouldn't want us to be sad.
He would want us to be happy and rejoice in the fact that a human as amazing as him ever existed, and that we still have his music and videos that he immortalized himself with to enjoy forever. :)

Yep i agree it is underrated one of my favor love the video. I also agree it not play that much now since Michael passed away. The only time i listen too it is when i play the whole Bad album.

This song was the reason why I upgraded from Cassettes to CD's

That song is wonderful. I love the beat, the harmonies, melody, lyrics, ... and the video is SO awesome!

I also love to sing along - there is so much in it (like those frikkin adlibs).

I see a lot of your post, and often times you seem so sad about Michael's departure from earth.
It worries me, but up until now I haven't said anything.

Just remember that Michael wouldn't want us to be sad.
He would want us to be happy and rejoice in the fact that a human as amazing as him ever existed, and that we still have his music and videos that he immortalized himself with to enjoy forever. :)

Don't you think I know that. And I have tried many times and the tears just automatically come on for me. I almost never tried to listen to anything that has to do with entertainment news stories. Unless it is Bollywood related. Because it is absolutely beyond horrible not to hear an MJ related news story anymore. As for being that H word. I don't even know the meaning of that word anymore. Since I haven't felt a single ounce of that. Since that horrible June day. Before I heard the worst news ever about him. And I only felt that way because it was getting closer for him to be doing those concerts. The only way I can watch or listen to him again. Is watching Shahrukh Khan related videos on either you tube or on dvd. Since I have a good number of his movies on dvds. Shahrukh Khan is my MJ replacement. And my Bollywood music has now replaced his music. It is totally not the same but it is the only way I can really handle watching and listening to him again. Thanks to that evil monster I suffer from panic attacks now. If I so much tried to watch him now. And I lost the enjoyment I once had of listening to him. I realized that back in September of last year. I haven't listen to him since then. 99.5% of my hardcore MJ fandom is now gone from me. I want nothing more than to go back to where Michael was my total obsession. But that is something that is never going to happen for me.:( :boohoo

Yeah, brilliant. Certainly not underrated by me as I noticed it in my top 10 most played MJ songs of all time list.

I like that there are songs like this in Michael's catalogue. Songs that don't seem to get the recognition but are clearly as good as his signature songs.

Don't you think I know that. And I have tried many times and the tears just automatically come on for me. I almost never tried to listen to anything that has to do with entertainment news stories. Unless it is Bollywood related. Because it is absolutely beyond horrible not to hear an MJ related news story anymore. As for being that H word. I don't even know the meaning of that word anymore. Since I haven't felt a single ounce of that. Since that horrible June day. Before I heard the worst news ever about him. And I only felt that way because it was getting closer for him to be doing those concerts. The only way I can watch or listen to him again. Is watching Shahrukh Khan related videos on either you tube or on dvd. Since I have a good number of his movies on dvds. Shahrukh Khan is my MJ replacement. And my Bollywood music has now replaced his music. It is totally not the same but it is the only way I can really handle watching and listening to him again. Thanks to that evil monster I suffer from panic attacks now. If I so much tried to watch him now. And I lost the enjoyment I once had of listening to him. I realized that back in September of last year. I haven't listen to him since then. 99.5% of my hardcore MJ fandom is now gone from me. I want nothing more than to go back to where Michael was my total obsession. But that is something that is never going to happen for me.:( :boohoo

*Hugs*
I hope you are eventually able to be happy again.

*Hugs*
I hope you are eventually able to be happy again.

I very much doubt that. As long Michael continues to be where he is now. And that evil monster is still out there somewhere walking free. Instead of being on death row where monsters like him needs to be. I have always been a death penalty supporter. I have always seen the death penalty as true ultimate justice for monsters. That is something I will never feel ever again. My constant misery and bitterness is my h word now. And I totally thank that evil monster for that.:(

The only thing I don't like is that some fans consider Leave Me Alone an anti tabloid song, its short film certainly is but not the track. Both of them are wonderful though, Michael dancing with "The Elephant Man" was a brilliant mocking to them.

I suspect it's fan made but I love his unreleased vocals.

Snow White luvs Peter Pan;4144106 said:
The only thing I don't like is that some fans consider Leave Me Alone an anti tabloid song, its short film certainly is but not the track.

I don't see why a song can't have more than one meaning. I've always interpreted the song through two ways: there's the side of him discussing a girl, but you could also interpret a lot of the lyrics as him talking in regards to the media.

I don't care what you talking
'Bout baby
I don't care what you say
[He doesn't give a shit what the tabloids are saying about him]
Don't you come walking
Begging back mama
I don't care anyway
[They always come back to him and ask him for interviews, exclusives anyway. MJ rarely gave interviews]
Time after time i gave you all of my money [While Michael isn't exactly giving them money literally so to speak, he is making them a lot of money]
No excuses to make
Ain’t no mountain that i
Can't climb baby
All is going my way
[Regardless, everything is still going his way and he's making milestones in the music industry]

[Verse 2]
There was a time I used to
Say girl I need you
But who is sorry now
You really hurt, you used to
Take and deceive me
Now who is sorry now
You got a way of making me
Feel so sorry I found out right away
Don't you come walking
Begging I aren’t loving you
Don't you get in my way

For the second verse above, I see it in the way that, before Thriller, Michael did need the media to help promote his music. We all know the story of Rolling Stone rejecting him in '79-'80 or whatever and there's no doubt more stories similar to that (like MTV). They used to really hurt him by not treating him with the same amount of respect as other big artists, as well as by making up false rumours about him. But they're sorry now because they need MJ to sell covers and probably used all sorts of methods to persuade him to come do interviews/photo shoots for them. And this is 1980s Michael Jackson, the juggernaut who didn't need to give exclusive info to the media to sell records, so he is now in the position of power to tell them to not get in his way.

I think the song probably would have been a much bigger hit if it had not been the last single released from Bad.

HIStoric;4144109 said:
I don't see why a song can't have more than one meaning. I've always interpreted the song through two ways: there's the side of him discussing a girl, but you could also interpret a lot of the lyrics as him talking in regards to the media.

I don't care what you talking
'Bout baby
I don't care what you say
[He doesn't give a shit what the tabloids are saying about him]
Don't you come walking
Begging back mama
I don't care anyway
[They always come back to him and ask him for interviews, exclusives anyway. MJ rarely gave interviews]
Time after time i gave you all of my money [While Michael isn't exactly giving them money literally so to speak, he is making them a lot of money]
No excuses to make
Ain’t no mountain that i
Can't climb baby
All is going my way
[Regardless, everything is still going his way and he's making milestones in the music industry]

[Verse 2]
There was a time I used to
Say girl I need you
But who is sorry now
You really hurt, you used to
Take and deceive me
Now who is sorry now
You got a way of making me
Feel so sorry I found out right away
Don't you come walking
Begging I aren’t loving you
Don't you get in my way

For the second verse above, I see it in the way that, before Thriller, Michael did need the media to help promote his music. We all know the story of Rolling Stone rejecting him in '79-'80 or whatever and there's no doubt more stories similar to that (like MTV). They used to really hurt him by not treating him with the same amount of respect as other big artists, as well as by making up false rumours about him. But they're sorry now because they need MJ to sell covers and probably used all sorts of methods to persuade him to come do interviews/photo shoots for them. And this is 1980s Michael Jackson, the juggernaut who didn't need to give exclusive info to the media to sell records, so he is now in the position of power to tell them to not get in his way.

^^^^
This 100%

Michael was one of if not the most creative artist to ever grace this earth.
You can listen to some of his songs 1000 times over and come up with a different meaning each time.
Michael was extremely talented when it came to weaving stories and meanings into his music, and it's something that to this day sets him apart from many other artist.:)

It is perfectly normal for fans to consider ‘Leave Me Alone’ an anti-tabloid song. In fact, the song itself can be perceived in a number of different ways: “The song is about a relationship between a guy and a girl. But what I’m really saying to people who are bothering me is: “Leave Me Alone”’ (Michael Jackson, Moonwalk)

For me, this track is one of MJ’s best funky moments. But also, the concept, mood & visual outcome of the music video is really good & inspired.

MJ was perfectly aware of all the (negative) things people/tabloid media said about him throughout the years, & personally, I really liked the way he got his emotions across (during that video).

MJ-Leave-Me-Alone-evyke83-E2-99-A5-E2-9D-80-31942479-1080-810.jpg

So, do you know more than the writer HIStoric? It's not an anti tabloid song per se like Tabloid Junkie and Privacy are, what Michael said on Moonwalk:

"I worked hard on the song, stacking vocals on top of each other like layers of clouds," said Michael. "I'm sending a simple message here: Leave me alone! The song is about a relationship between a guy and a girl, but what I'm really saying to people who are bothering me is: Leave me alone!"

This quote was already posted, I hadn't noticed it.

Remember when Bad came out I got the LP and this song wasn't on there. It was CD only, which made it extra special :D

"I worked hard on the song, stacking vocals on top of each other like layers of clouds," said Michael. "I'm sending a simple message here: Leave me alone! The song is about a relationship between a guy and a girl, but what I'm really saying to people who are bothering me is: Leave me alone!"

And, who exactly were the people bothering Michael in the mid-late 1980s when he wrote the song? Oh yeah! The tabloids.

Maybe he did originally intend for the song at face value to be about that of a "guy and girl" relationship, but he's certainly left the lyrics open enough to be subject to various interpretations.

"I worked hard on the song, stacking vocals on top of each other like layers of clouds," said Michael.

I love his imagery when describing his work. :)

Sent from my phone ?

Snow White luvs Peter Pan;4144106 said:
The only thing I don't like is that some fans consider Leave Me Alone an anti tabloid song, its short film certainly is but not the track.

Snow White luvs Peter Pan;4144152 said:
So, do you know more than the writer HIStoric? It's not an anti tabloid song per se like Tabloid Junkie and Privacy are, what Michael said on Moonwalk:

It does not take a rocket scientist to understand that the song ‘Leave Me Alone’ clearly is an anti-tabloid song also (considering the time of the song’s genesis).

HIStoric;4144206 said:
And, who exactly were the people bothering Michael in the mid-late 1980s when he wrote the song? Oh yeah! The tabloids.

Maybe he did originally intend for the song at face value to be about that of a "guy and girl" relationship, but he's certainly left the lyrics open enough to be subject to various interpretations.

Especially, around the time of the ‘Bad’ release, things started to get even worse, to that point that MJ decided (of his own accord) to release a handwritten message/plea to the press (& in response to all that media stuff that was being written about him):

“…Most people don't know me, that is why they write such things in which MOST is not true. I cry very very often because it hurts…I must endure for the power I was sent forth, for the world, for the children. But have mercy, for I've been bleeding a long time now…"

That handwritten message was written in 1987 (September) while his stay in Tokyo (for the first dates of the ‘Bad’ Tour) & it was made available to the public immediately.

Took us long enough to make this thread, am I right? I mean, am I right?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

I think the song probably would have been a much bigger hit if it had not been the last single released from Bad.

It was a big hit in the UK, reaching number 3 if memory serves me correctly. Mainly due to the fact that those who bought Bad on vinyl and cassette didn't have it.

Not sure of it was last single or Liberian Girl was though? I just remember every time a single was released it was like, "surely this must be last one", but they kept on coming!

Until eventually everyone just bought the goddamn album. Especially when MITM came out, which explains why the single only got to 21 originally.

Every aspect of this song is just mind blowing to me. The layers of the harmonies, the fiery vocals, the lyrics. Then you have the ground-breaking short film :eek:hno:

I adore LMA. The fact that Michael wrote and produced it alone makes it even more powerful. When he sings the DAHH-DAHH-DA-DAHH parts it's so epic. I remember a fan having the lyric "There's a time when you're right, and you know you must fight" outside the court in 2005.

The video is obviously one of his best, it deserved its Grammy so much.

Michael+Jackson+Leave+Me+Alone+035.jpg

Michael+Jackson+Leave+Me+Alone+021.jpg

This to me is one under rated song... Its amazing how much of the general public (aside from those who were very INTO Michael in the 80's) do not know of this song. Everyone knows PYT (another great song) but do not know this nearly as easily.. This song in so many ways is a classic stylization by Michael.. The pattern of the vocals combining long drawn vocals with skips style singing..

Classic

Back