Michael Jackson statue unveiled in India.

Ms. BlueGangsta

Proud Member
By P Sivaramakrishnan
BBC Tamil
8 April 2016
From the section India
_89134150_89134148.jpg

A statue of the late pop star Michael Jackson has been installed in the southern Indian city of Chennai.
The 10ft (3m) statue was sculpted by "diehard fan" Chandrasekaran, out of a single piece of black granite.
Mr Chandrasekaran said he had tried to donate the statue to Jackson's family and install it in Neverland Ranch, but had been unable to do so.
The BBC was unable to independently verify that the family did not respond to the offer of the gift.
The statue was unveiled at the city's Vels University by film star Prabhu Deva, famous in India for his Jackson inspired dance moves.
Mr Chandrasekaran told the BBC that the 3.5 tonne statue was made by six sculptors who took 45 days to chisel it out of a single piece of rock.
He added that the sculptors repeatedly watched Jackson's Beat It music video to get his posture correct, and studied "thousands" of photographs to get his features correct.

I'm not completely sure where this thread should go, so if it needs to be moved please move it. :yes:

Well, I can appreciate all the effort that went into making the statue ... but - I'm sorry - it is very creepy imo. It looks like E.T.

*SWIFTLY EXISTS THREAD*

Sent from my phone ?

well, I think that's nice, and it looks good, but kinda hard to tell since you can't see its face properly. only the hands look weird

By P Sivaramakrishnan
BBC Tamil
8 April 2016
From the section India
_89134150_89134148.jpg

A statue of the late pop star Michael Jackson has been installed in the southern Indian city of Chennai.
The 10ft (3m) statue was sculpted by "diehard fan" Chandrasekaran, out of a single piece of black granite.
Mr Chandrasekaran said he had tried to donate the statue to Jackson's family and install it in Neverland Ranch, but had been unable to do so.
The BBC was unable to independently verify that the family did not respond to the offer of the gift.
The statue was unveiled at the city's Vels University by film star Prabhu Deva, famous in India for his Jackson inspired dance moves.
Mr Chandrasekaran told the BBC that the 3.5 tonne statue was made by six sculptors who took 45 days to chisel it out of a single piece of rock.
He added that the sculptors repeatedly watched Jackson's Beat It music video to get his posture correct, and studied "thousands" of photographs to get his features correct.

I'm not completely sure where this thread should go, so if it needs to be moved please move it. :yes:

Ya nothing like MJ. Thanks for the effort. It has to look like him or it just embarrassing. Is that picture when you post supposed to be Mj? No offense but I'd rate it just like the Statue. Sometimes it bother me when his picture come across as a women. He was all man.

Well, I can appreciate all the effort that went into making the statue ... but - I'm sorry - it is very creepy imo. It looks like E.T.

*SWIFTLY EXISTS THREAD*

Sent from my phone ?

It didn't look like they put much effort into it, imho. My cat could have done better.

giphy_zps4k5melqy.gif

^^haha. It's pretty bad but not quite as bad as the one at the soccer stadium in England.
I see in the article they wanted to install it at Neverland. Guess they don't know it's gone and for sale.

^^haha. It's pretty bad but not quite as bad as the one at the soccer stadium in England.
I see in the article they wanted to install it at Neverland. Guess they don't know it's gone and for sale.

Neither are great but nah, the Indian one is definitely worse. At least this one is in colour (not an ugly grey) and his body parts look right!! (unlike the hands on the one above).

michael-jackson-statue-fulham.jpg

I don't draw or sculpt or whatever so I don't know, but why does it seem like so many artists are incapable of recreating Michael's face? I know he had a unique look but still.

I don't draw or sculpt or whatever so I don't know, but why does it seem like so many artists are incapable of recreating Michael's face? I know he had a unique look but still.
I don't know. Reminds me of that wax statue Michael went to see in 85 at Madame Trussauds. That was awful too. They got better thru the years.

We have a member here, Godaiking, that makes fantastic busts. Those new Hot Toys I've seen here look great too.

Neither are great but nah, the Indian one is definitely worse. At least this one is in colour (not an ugly grey) and his body parts look right!! (unlike the hands on the one above).

michael-jackson-statue-fulham.jpg

It's because they're lazy, not skilled enough or don't study the subject they're trying to recreate. Those two examples couldn't even get his eyes right (to say the least), ffs!

Yet, they looked at thousands of photographs. Lol.

Did they really look at photographs. I really was not going to post but this look bad it remind me of one of puppet in puppet master the one with the six arms or joker sorry. Look like they try to get the pose from Black or White. Did not turn out good.

michael-jackson-black-or-white-lyrics-youtube-115.jpg

Did they really look at photographs. I really was not going to post but this look bad it remind me of one of puppet in puppet master the one with the six arms or joker sorry. Look like they try to get the pose from Black or White. Did not turn out good.

michael-jackson-black-or-white-lyrics-youtube-115.jpg
Yeah-according to the article with the picture, he said the sculptors watched 'Beat It' repeatedly (must have meant Black or White' and studied thousands of pictures.

Those fat hands crack me up. But I guess it's the thought that counts.

barbee0715;4144645 said:
I don't know. Reminds me of that wax statue Michael went to see in 85 at Madame Trussauds. That was awful too.

I agree about that Madame Tussauds wax statue in 1985.

For the most part, MJ’s statues are not well-crafted at all (including, also, the one at Grevin Museum in 1997).

On the contrary, I think the wax statue ('Billie Jean' outfit), which was made for his ‘This Is It’ shows, depicts him in a realistic way.

Last edited:
mj_frenzy;4144739 said:
On the contrary, I think the wax statue ('Billie Jean' outfit), which was made for his ‘This Is It’ shows, depicts him in a realistic way.

What's this?

It's nice people want to pay Michael tributes with statues but the final result is most of the times horrifying. This one in India has to be one of the worst depictions.

When it comes to Madame Tussaud's wax statues, this one has been the only time they got it right IMO, it's the most spot on depiction, the artist studied Michael's features and his pose way better.

carousel_michael_jackson_04_700x1000.jpg

ec8cf3ba2cd54d0972d618b488e5f64d.jpg

Last edited:
It's nice people want to pay Michael tributes with statues but the final result is most of the times horrifying. This one in India has to be one of the worst depictions.

When it comes to Madame Tussaud's wax statues, this one has been the only time they got it right IMO, it's the most spot on depictions, the artist studied Michael's features and his pose way better.

You are so right.

When it comes to Madame Tussaud's wax statues, this one has been the only time they got it right IMO, it's the most spot on depiction, the artist studied Michael's features and his pose way better.

It's not bad ... I like the abs best. *cough*

Sent from my phone ?

But most of the statues look NOTHING like him AT ALL. The HIStory Statue by Diana Walczac and the one I posted are the most spot on works, Diana should be hired to sculpt more MJ statues, really.

This is the one I was referring to when I said they finally got better. Real different than the 85 version. :)

HIStoric;4144748 said:
What's this?

I am referring to the statue that was made for his major 'This Is It' comeback & was unveiled two months after his death (the one that is posted right above).

In my opinion, it is probably the only statue (wax or not) that really does justice to him in every discernible way.

Also, the sculptor’s intention was that the statue had to be representative of MJ's timeless image (in terms of pose/whole attitude).

pminton;4144778 said:
What is that sticking out in the second picture?

Your question makes a lot of sense!

Let me explain this to you:

It is common practice for public, unveiling ceremonies that a specific material is thrown (in the air) as a way of celebrating such events.

Many times that material (that is thrown in the air) gets temporarily stuck on the exhibit (MJ’s wax statue, in this case).

That photo was taken in the very act of that statue’s unveiling:

[video=youtube;FxpdSinm-f8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxpdSinm-f8[/video]

There are some that get it right, like Nate Giorgio. I've seen his work and it's practically perfect! He gets Mike's eyes done beautifully (as you can tell, that is very important to me. Mike's eyes were so expressive and gorgeous.)

Nate%20Giorgio_zpsjjlmp6yk.jpg

Nate%20Giorgio%20Remember-The-Children_zpsprmo7u1l.jpg

Nate%20drawing%20Mike_zps8mmzdoex.jpg

Nate%20Giorgio%20Mike%20art_zpscmrtrvwp.png

There are some that get it right, like Nate Giorgio. I've seen his work and it's practically perfect! He gets Mike's eyes done beautifully (as you can tell, that is very important to me. Mike's eyes were so expressive and gorgeous.)

Nate%20Giorgio_zpsjjlmp6yk.jpg

Nate%20Giorgio%20Remember-The-Children_zpsprmo7u1l.jpg

Nate%20drawing%20Mike_zps8mmzdoex.jpg

Nate%20Giorgio%20Mike%20art_zpscmrtrvwp.png

Wow those are amazing!
I also really hate when people don't get his eyes right.
I've never seen anyone with eyes like Michael's.
His eyes are so unique.

Back