When did Moonwalkers become MJfam?

I've seen both terms used on YouTube comments. I assumed from their comments they were fans under 20 who are on social media.

Stalked and killed??

Trust me it's real.
To me social media is 50% good 50% bad, and I can live without it so I don't use it.
But in social media's defense a lot of the people being stalked and stuff like that probably over share a lot of personal info.

Do you refuse to drive because you might crash? Honestly the likelihood of dying in a car crash is astronomically bigger than being killed because of social media. "People are always getting stalked and killed and stuff on Facebook and Twitter" Come on.

When it comes to stalkers, that is an issue but everyone is in complete control of how much they share on their profile (and even then, if someone really wants to stalk you, they can do so regardless of social media presence too).

stalkers has always been around, way before there even was something called social media

Do you refuse to drive because you might crash? Honestly the likelihood of dying in a car crash is astronomically bigger than being killed because of social media. "People are always getting stalked and killed and stuff on Facebook and Twitter" Come on.

When it comes to stalkers, that is an issue but everyone is in complete control of how much they share on their profile (and even then, if someone really wants to stalk you, they can do so regardless of social media presence too).

In today's world unless you ride a bike everyone HAS to use some form of gas or electric powered transportation, but you DON'T have to use social media, so your comparison falls somewhat flat to me

Additionally, while stalking and killing has been around since forever it HAS become easier to do since the advent of social media.

I'm not saying that people shouldn't enjoy social media, what I'm saying is that you have to be careful what you put on social media, or the result could be very bad.

In today's world unless you ride a bike everyone HAS to use some form of gas or electric powered transportation, but you DON'T have to use social media, so your comparison falls somewhat flat to me

Additionally, while stalking and killing has been around since forever it HAS become easier to do since the advent of social media.

I'm not saying that people shouldn't enjoy social media, what I'm saying is that you have to be careful what you put on social media, or the result could be very bad.

It falls flat to you because you completely missed the point of it, it's not about necessity or anything like that. I'm talking solely about the risks of such an event happening in which case, my original point still stands. And for the record, I'm not against you being against social media, if you don't want to join Facebook and the like, that's cool. I just think the "killed" part of your original statement is ridiculously paranoid. It's the kind of stuff you hear overprotective parents who've been watching too much 24/7 news go on about. Honestly, if you're aware about what you put online and the privacy settings on your account (and more and more people are given privacy concerns being more prominent in the news these past few years), you should be fine.

As for fanbase name, I've always seen Moonwalkers. I've seen MJJC tweet with MJJCFam, but they're probably just referring to fans of MJ who use MJJC. Never seen Soldiers of LOVE (and I don't think thats a name I'd exactly attribute to the MJ fanbase tbh). It's weird, I've never saw fanbase names pop up until Lady Gaga started calling her fans "Monsters" like 6-7 years ago, now suddenly everyone seems to have names for their fanbases. Either that or I never noticed fanbase names until Lady Gaga started doing it.

It falls flat to you because you completely missed the point of it, it's not about necessity or anything like that. I'm talking solely about the risks of such an event happening. And for the record, I'm not against you being against social media, if you don't want to join Facebook and the like, that's cool. I just think the "killed" part of your original statement isridiculously paranoid. It's the kind of stuff you hear overprotective parents who've been watching too much 24/7 news go on about. Honestly, if you're aware about what you put online and the privacy settings on your account (and more and more people are given privacy concerns being more prominent in the news these past few years), you should be fine.

No, it fell flat for me because it wasn't the best comparison (driving=pretty much essential to living your life, Social media=Fun, one is a risk that you pretty much HAVE to take, and one isn't).
I also wouldn't say it's all paranoia if it's a very real reality
All I said is that people get stalked and killed on social media, which has actually happened.

You pretty much proved my point with your last sentence.

Just as you yourself said, you DO have to be aware of what you put on social media, but often times people aren't, and things don't go well for them.
Additionally, not all information has to be public for people to see it.
Hacking does exist.

I never said that other people shouldn't use social media, and I also never said that it was all bad, actually I never even said that I was against it, so why did my comment bother you?

Pretty much I believe that you shouldn't be scared or paranoid, but you most definitely should be aware.

As for fanbase name, I've always seen Moonwalkers. I've seen MJJC tweet with MJJCFam, but they're probably just referring to fans of MJ who use MJJC. Never seen Soldiers of LOVE (and I don't think thats a name I'd exactly attribute to the MJ fanbase tbh). It's weird, I've never saw fanbase names pop up until Lady Gaga started calling her fans "Monsters" like 6-7 years ago, now suddenly everyone seems to have names for their fanbases. Either that or I never noticed fanbase names until Lady Gaga started doing it.

LOL, I really like Lady Gaga (Poker Face is one of my non-MJ jams!) but fanbase names have existed long before she came on the scene (Bobbysoxers for example, they followed fads, and were fans of artist such as frank Sinatra ). :yes:

No, it fell flat for me because it wasn't the best comparison (driving=pretty much essential to living your life, Social media=Fun, one is a risk that you pretty much HAVE to take, and one isn't).
I also wouldn't say it's all paranoia if it's a very real reality
All I said is that people get stalked and killed on social media, which has actually happened.

My point still stands. Once again, I'm talking about purely risks. People have died pretty much every way imaginable, you can't let that stop you from doing somethings in life. Are you going to refuse to swim because other people have drowned?

But whatever man, you do you. I don't really care enough to go on about this.

LOL, I really like Lady Gaga (Poker Face is one of my non-MJ jams!) but fanbase names have existed long before she came on the scene (Bobbysoxers for example, they followed fads, and were fans of artist such as frank Sinatra ). :yes:

Interesting, I've never heard that term! Thinking about it more, I've seen Beatles fans be called Beatlemaniacs, and I know the term Beatlemania has existed since 1963 or so, so the term Beatlemaniac couldn't have been too far behind I imagine.

Last edited:
My point still stands. Once again, I'm talking about purely risks. People have died pretty much every way imaginable, you can't let that stop you from doing somethings in life. Are you going to refuse to swim because other people have drowned?

But whatever man, you do you. I don't really care enough to go on about this.

Me either, but hey you started it, and my point still stands too.
Have fun, and don't be scared or paranoid, but be aware, and be cautious. :yes:

Interesting, I've never heard that term. I don't know if it's completely exclusive to Sinatra though (Wikipedia suggests it was his kind of music with Sinatra in particular). Although thinking about it more, I've seen Beatles fans be called Beatlemaniacs, and I know the term Beatlemania has existed since 1963 or so, so the term Beatlemaniac couldn't have been too far behind I imagine.

That's why I said "such as Sinatra", and not just Sinatra.

I've sometimes referred to the MJ fan community as the MJfam (like fan + family), but other than that I don't think we really have a 'name'. When someone says Moonwalkers, I think of the 13-year-old girls with their MJ photoshops on Instagram and when I hear soldiers of L.O.V.E, I think about the death hoax believers. It sounds a little cultish and contrived. It's cute when kids do it, but not so much when adult women (and men, but most men don't swoon after Michael like female fans do haha) do it. Just my personal take.

Some called themselves "moonwalkers" but to me that always seemed like trying to copy other fandoms who call themselves this or that ("Little Monsters" - Lady Gaga, "Beyhive" - Beyonce, "Beliebers" - Justin Bieber etc.) I don't think it really stuck with MJ fans like Little Monsters did with Gaga fans etc, because a lot of MJ fans just don't identify with it - possibly because it sounds forced (and frankly, most MJ fans aren't teen girls who would use such terms to describe the fandom). I have seen MJFam more often.

Some called themselves "moonwalkers" but to me that always seemed like trying to copy other fandoms who call themselves this or that ("Little Monsters" - Lady Gaga, "Beyhive" - Beyonce, "Beliebers" - Justin Bieber etc.) I don't think it really stuck with MJ fans like Little Monsters did with Gaga fans etc, because a lot of MJ fans just don't identify with it - possibly because it sounds forced (and frankly, most MJ fans aren't teen girls who would use such terms to describe the fandom). I have seen MJFam more often.

Great point. A typical directioner or belieber is a young female, but with Michael, the fanbase is hugely varied in terms of generations, races, social status etc. The mentality of the fans who have followed Michael ever since he first took the stage with his brothers and those who were barely out of diapers around the 2005 trial is very different. It's not like someone says "hey, let's start calling each other x" and everyone is equally extatic about jumping on the bandwagon.

^True. I think fan names are really big for young pop stars now. They even gave out an award for the best fan club name at the I Heart Radio Awards last week.

Back in the 70s I saw a group of scruffy people camped out in a city park and somebody told me they followed the Grateful Dead around town to town. They were called the "DeadHeads."
I remember thinking 'how weird is that?'

Back