Thriller on Your Face Sounds Familiar

FullLipsDotNose

Proud Member
Today at 8.20 pm CET, there will be broadcast another series of the Czech version of Your Face Sounds Familiar, this time a white woman will perform Michael Jackson's Thriller. (http://tn.nova.cz/clanek/tvoje-tvar-holisova-trenuje-na-krale-popu-dojde-i-na-moonwalk.html)

There have already been three cases of blackface in the show: the same contestant performing Michael has performed Beyoncé, other white contestants performed Louis Armstrong (he won - I'm not kidding: http://www.rozhlas.cz/radiowave/pro...me-vcitit-ne-si-svoji-barvit-nacerno--1600886) and Bruno Mars, respectively.

I'm kinda scared... I took it publicly and accused the TV of blackface, but hardly anyone gives a shit. (I was even told that Michael was performing whiteface, so what's the matter...)

This is a hot mess, and for the life of me I don't understand why Michael's facial features later on life are always seen as being white.
Do others races with straight hair, light skin, and and slim noses not exist. *rolls eyes*
Michael looked like Michael and no one else, but the fact that simpletons always say "Hur Dur he wanted to look white" (and only white) grinds my gears.
Really, just think about it, think about how there's a running joke that the most known and greatest black entertainer to ever do it wanted to look white.

Last edited:
This is a hot mess, and for the life of me I don't understand why Michael's facial features later on life are always seen as being white.
Do others races with straight hair, light skin, and and slim noses not exist. *rolls eyes*
Michael looked like Michael and no one else, but the fact that simpletons always say "Hur Dur he wanted to look white" (and only white) grinds my gears.
Really, just think about it, think about how there's a running joke that the most known and greatest black entertainer to ever do it wanted to look white.

Race has not just been an issue of the way someone looks, but also of someone's heritage. For example, I had an Egyptian schoomate that looked EXACTLY like me - same hair, same eyes, same facial features, same height and so forth... She didn't have any European blood in her veins afaik, but while I have always been white, she has always been Middle Eastern despite our shared appearance. In fact, people have been procreating with anyone all the time before races were thought up and nowadays two people from different races can be genetically closer than two people of the same race. I mean, come on, MJ wasn't the first African American with light skin and all that jazz, Aaliyah was also black and her hair was straighter than mine.

Yet white people will put some weird cream on their faces and will mimic a stereotypical black look. That's like if someone wanted to mimic Paul McCartney and took a blonde wig although Paul isn't blonde.

Race has not just been an issue of the way someone looks, but also of someone's heritage. For example, I had an Egyptian schoomate that looked EXACTLY like me - same hair, same eyes, same facial features, same height and so forth... She didn't have any European blood in her veins afaik, but while I have always been white, she has always been Middle Eastern despite our shared appearance. In fact, people have been procreating with anyone all the time before races were thought up and nowadays two people from different races can be genetically closer than two people of the same race. I mean, come on, MJ wasn't the first African American with light skin and all that jazz, Aaliyah was also black and her hair was straighter than mine.

Yet white people will put some weird cream on their faces and will mimic a stereotypical black look. That's like if someone wanted to mimic Paul McCartney and took a blonde wig although Paul isn't blonde.

Exactly!
And Michael didn't even start off light.
When people take part in this tomfoolery they're legit making fun of a serious skin condition, but hey anything for a laugh (especially at MJ's expense), right?

Well, if she's doing Thriller then it makes sense to use face paint. That doesn't automatically make it "blackface" or racist. She's not doing it to mock MJ or black people in general (which is what blackface refers to), she's just trying to resemble Thriller-era MJ as closely as possible which I assume is the whole purpose of the show. I'm sure you could find people who would be equally offended if they left her face white because it wouldn't acknowledge the fact that MJ was a black man. It's not that serious.

Whatever the creators' intentions were, loads of people have been upset with these things. Obviously, I'm not in the best position to judge as I am white, but I do my best to try to understand what the criticism comes from. It's especially frustrating if you bring this up and people tell you, "But Michael was racist cause he wanted to transform himself to a white man" or "That performer looks like [a random black person that doesn't even remotely resemble Michael or any other black artist], I like it."

Furthermore, we're talking about a country where white people call police when they see a black person in the streets cause they think it's a refugee (and many people here unfortunately believe that refugees will destroy the country) and where people that call themselves leftist openly say that black men are loaded with testosterone and will rape Czech women and children once they get here. I'm not kidding. There was even a cartoon in a newspaper where two blonde blue-eyed women were raped by stereotypically looking black men, refugees, and the story was about volunteers that were giving language classes to these migrants, but were raped. And now the very same people jam to music by a black artist, in fact the best artist ever, but they refuse to accept black people as people and applaud a white person for impersonating him.

Whatever the creators' intentions were, loads of people have been upset with these things.

People get upset by a lot of things, that doesn't always mean it's justified. And the intentions of the creators matter a great deal.

Obviously, I'm not in the best position to judge as I am white, but I do my best to try to understand what the criticism comes from. It's especially frustrating if you bring this up and people tell you, "But Michael was racist cause he wanted to transform himself to a white man" or "That performer looks like [a random black person that doesn't even remotely resemble Michael or any other black artist], I like it."

That's a different issue.

People get upset by a lot of things, that doesn't always mean it's justified. And the intentions of the creators matter a great deal.

That's a different issue.

I understand what you're saying, but it has never sat well with me that the most influential black entertainer to ever walk this earth is constantly said to have wanted to "look white" (when that isn't true at all).

To me it sends the message that no matter how succesful you are that you would still be better in some way if you were white.

Really, just think about it, it's pretty much saying that if a man as successful as MJ wasn't happy with himself and still wanted to look white why shouldn't everyone.
Why is it always said that Michael wanted to "look white", why is it never said that he wanted to look like any other race.

When people do these kind of things whether it's intentional or not they're making fun of a black man that suffered from vitiligo by saying that he wanted to look white, and that just doesn't make since nor is it okay no matter how you look at it.

I'm not okay with it being said that MJ wanted to look like anyone but himself, but it has always been weird to me how it became a consensus that Michael (one of if not the most sucessful black people to ever live) wanted to look white.

As for the face paint I'm not okay with that either.
If I wanted to be Sailor Moon for Halloween I wouldn't put powder on my face, but what I would do is match her costume and hairstyle, and I'm sure that people would still know who I'm supposed to be.
Often times people don't need face paint but use it just to be offensive.
The exception is if your playing a character with a skin color that's not real (like amethyst from Steven Universe for example). :yes:

I understand what you're saying, but it has never sat well with me that the most influential black entertainer to ever walk this earth is constantly said to have wanted to "look white" (when that isn't true at all).

To me it sends the message that no matter how succesful you are that you would still be better in some way if you were white.

Really, just think about it, it's pretty much saying that if a man as successful as MJ wasn't happy with himself and still wanted to look white why shouldn't everyone.
Why is it always said that Michael wanted to "look white", why is it never said that he wanted to look like any other race.

When people do these kind of things whether it's intentional or not they're making fun of a black man that suffered from vitiligo by saying that he wanted to look white, and that just doesn't make since nor is it okay no matter how you look at it.

I'm not okay with it being said that MJ wanted to look like anyone but himself, but it has always been weird to me how it became a consensus that Michael (one of if not the most sucessful black people to ever live) wanted to look white.

As for the face paint I'm not okay with that either.
If I wanted to be Sailor Moon for Halloween I wouldn't put powder on my face, but what I would do is match her costume and hairstyle, and I'm sure that people would still know who I'm supposed to be.
Often times people don't need face paint but use it just to be offensive.
The exception is if your playing a character with a skin color that's not real (like amethyst from Steven Universe for example). :yes:

Personally, I don't have a problem with the woman performing Thriller and wearing clothes identical to Michael's. She could've done so without painting her face. In fact, I know a couple of impersonators that don't paint their faces to look like Michael (and they're not white nor black). When you see them, you still know they impersonate him.

Back