Article: Will Pop Music Ever Produce Another Michael Jackson?

MoeJack

Proud Member
http://observer.com/2016/04/michael-jackson-and-the-need-for-the-one-true-pop-star/

[size=+2]Will Pop Music Ever Produce Another Michael Jackson?[/size]

It’s tough to even read the words Aaron Carter typed with a straight face. (If that name means nothing, Carter is the younger brother of Backstreet Boy and erstwhile reality TV star Nick Carter.)

“Remember one very important thing,” Carter tweeted on November 22, in a series of messages the New York Daily News and other outlets are reporting as being since deleted, “Michael passed the torch to me. I never had to ask for him to do that. He compared himself to me.”

The “Michael” in question is, of course, the late Michael Jackson—the mere mention of his name, six years after his tragic, sudden death, is enough to stir up a hornet’s nest of emotions.

While few took Carter’s claims seriously—even if Jackson did “pass the torch,” Carter has done a thoroughly miserable job tending to it—there lurks another, more troubling question in the background: Will pop music ever produce another superstar on Jackson’s level?

More broadly: Will the industry ever again have a North Star to guide it?

It’s not just Aaron Carter’s delusional Twitter tirades sparking thoughts of how sorely missed Jackson’s talent is in modern pop music, but also Rolling Stone contributor Steve Knopper’s fascinating new biography, The Genius of Michael Jackson.

Will pop music ever again have a North Star to guide it?

Knopper spent three years scrupulously reporting on Jackson’s life and work, interviewed more than 450 sources (the book is meticulously indexed and footnoted) and deftly separates fact from myth—Knopper untangles the origins of seminal moments when he can, wryly noting where the legend has overtaken any hope of objective recounting when he cannot.

What comes to the fore repeatedly throughout Knopper’s 438-page tome is how singular Jackson’s talent truly was.

He’s described as a ceaselessly restless child, one who needed to have someone almost literally hold his head in place to ensure clean vocals, but who would, on a stage before a roaring audience, channel that boundless energy into some of the most dazzling choreography the world had ever seen.

That biological singularity—that even though many of Jackson’s siblings were musically gifted, he stood alone; a supernova distinguishing itself from its surrounding galaxy—is a large part of why Jackson had the impact that he did and continues to have.

But the other key ingredient was a willingness to do something new. Knopper writes about how, in the late 1970s and early 1980s, Jackson was feeling profoundly confined by the requirements and expectations of continuing to perform with his brothers, when he truly wanted to be doing was digging into the 600-700 songs producer Quincy Jones had amassed to assemble Thriller.

“O.K., guys,” Jones is quoted as saying in Knopper’s recounting, “we’re here to get the kids out of the video arcades and back into the record stores.”

Too much of modern pop music fixates on brand maintenance and not enough upon making anything worth listening to.

It’s an ambitious mission statement, and, sadly, one that, with a few 21st-century updates, could probably be repeated in control rooms the world over today.

Yet, cowed by the advance of digital technology and a fragmented audience, the music business can only muster hopefuls—these days, far more Aaron Carters than Michael Jacksons are flooding iTunes with music.

And while there are isolated instances of an artist cutting broadly across all demographics, captivating fans in staggering numbers—Adele most recently, with Taylor Swift and Beyonce also capable of turning a great many heads at once—pop music circa 2016 is a never-ending cycle of temporary dominance.

An artist breaks through for a moment—remember when Meghan Trainor was inescapable?—and then either flames out (Justin Bieber) or fades away (believe it or not, KT Tunstall once enjoyed heavy rotation on American radio).

The sort of long-running, sustainable career Jackson enjoyed, one marked by as much critical acclaim as commercial success, now seems as outdated as a Discman.

Certainly, Michael Jackson had an advantage his admirers and aspirants do not—a firm grip on the monoculture, which dovetailed nicely with the ascent of MTV—but Jackson also, quite simply, wanted it more.

Too much of modern pop music fixates on brand maintenance—Katy Perry’s fragrance line or Lady Gaga’s turn on American Horror Story or Nick Jonas’ recurring role on Scream Queens—and not enough upon making anything worth listening to.

Michael Jackson’s albums dominated the world and had the added benefit of being full of spectacular musicianship serving songs seemingly carved out of diamonds: Off the Wall, Thriller, Bad, Dangerous—these albums hold up now, decades after their release, not just because Jackson and his collaborators could “see around the corner,” but because they didn’t stop working the songs until they got it just right.

In the 1980s, there was the luxury of indulgent major labels—something that, in some cases, can still be found today—but also, the luxury of just having the time.

In the 2010s, artists are constantly under the gun.

There’s scant room for refinement because the 24-hour, non-stop cycle is constantly hungering for something new. (No sooner had Adele released 25 after a four-year absence then music writers pivoted to wondering aloud if she’d collaborate with Drake because she was a big fan of the rapper’s “Hotline Bling” single).

The unforgiving nature of the business is such that, even if an artist came along possessing even a fraction of Jackson’s talent, it might be smothered before it had a chance to flourish.

Which returns us to the, shall we say, mildly delusional assertions of Aaron Carter. For a moment, let’s give the singer—whose last album, Another Earthquake, was released over a decade ago—the benefit of the doubt.

If Jackson “passed the torch” to him, perhaps his role isn’t as a performer, but a proselytizer. Maybe Aaron Carter is meant to help drive attention to pop music’s plight—it’s stale and atomized into a half-billion different audiences.

But, if not, then there is one thing upon which we can all safely agree: Aaron Carter, whatever happened, you, sir, are not and will never be the next Michael Jackson.

People are gonna be waiting for another MJ like.
276299d1402005282t-10-3-0-512-waiting-room-skeleton-dog-leash-3.jpg

Why is everybody waiting for "another" Michael Jackson (especially the media that basically gave a shit about Michael during his later life)?

Maya Angelou said in her poem: "We had him". It would be very weird to me if some artist will be declared as the new Michael Jackson. Michael fulfilled his mission here on earth. We do not want and we do not NEED another Michael Jackson. Also, what would become of Michael´s legacy, if there would be a predecessor? Do fans really want this?

Edit: Of course, I want excellent and inspiring artists - but they should strive express themselves and not somebody else ... And we do have so many good artists even today. Michael himself was constantly striving to be unique in his art and creation. He challenged himself and his audience. That, in my opinion, is the essence of art, to be unique and touch people`s minds and souls in ways they did never experience before.

Last edited:
It will never happen Michael Jackson was one of a kinda.

You are right Maya Angelou said it. We Had Him.

Simply put. Michael Jackson is one of a kind. He was here at the right moment and the right time.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

moonstruck87;4146013 said:
Why is everybody waiting for "another" Michael Jackson (especially the media that basically gave a shit about Michael during his later life)?

Maya Angelou said in her poem: "We had him". It would be very weird to me if some artist will be declared as the new Michael Jackson. Michael fulfilled his mission here on earth. We do not want and we do not NEED another Michael Jackson. Also, what would become of Michael´s legacy, if there would be a predecessor? Do fans really want this?

Edit: Of course, I want excellent and inspiring artists - but they should strive express themselves and not somebody else ... And we do have so many good artists even today. Michael himself was constantly striving to be unique in his art and creation. He challenged himself and his audience. That, in my opinion, is the essence of art, to be unique and touch people`s minds and souls in ways they did never experience before.

^^^^
This 1000%

Michael's name was mud while he was alive, but now that he's gone everybody and their cat has been the new MJ (when in all honesty they aren't even half as good as him).

I legit have never seen the media try to replace ANY other artist half as much as they do MJ
Remember the Rolling Stone (a magazine that hates MJ himself for whatever reason) saying that Justin Timberlake was the "new King of Pop" while MJ himself was still alive, as if ANYONE could EVER be the new King.

It honestly seems like the media is on some kind of vendetta to lower Michaels status by saying that artist who are mediocre in comparison are just as good as him, or the "new him" (this is my personal opinion).
It's disgusting really, but at this point I take it as a complement that MJ is the standard that all other artist and entertainers get measured by.

Last edited:
[h=2]"Will Pop Music Ever Produce Another Michael Jackson? "[/h]That headline: dftzuiopölmnbvcdftzuiopö.,mnvfgzhujikolö-..............

Pop music did not produce Michael Jackson. Michael Jackson not only produced himself, he produced pop music!

There could be someone as popular as him but it's not very likely. No one can sell more than Thriller.

There could be someone as popular as him but it's not very likely. No one can sell more than Thriller.

^^^^
This

Also we have to keep in mind that popularity doesn't equal talent.

It's like I've said before.
You would have to take all of the best current artist/entertainers and combine them to equal only half of Michael because separately no one can even begin to hold a candle to King MJ.

There's a question if album sales will be relevant after a few centuries.

Yeah, streaming seems like it's going to be more important then album sales soon (I myself use Spotify and YouTube more then I buy a whole albums). :yes:
Nonetheless, I think that having the best selling album in world history is still going to be a pretty big deal. :yes:

In short ,No. Times have changed and although there will be other legendary figures, Each with their own style many to come.
There will never, ever be a figure like Michael or the magic M gave to the industry never again , We will never see that again.

It will never happen. Look at what happened when he died. Even Prince, as big as he was meant to be, couldn't touch the sides of the impact his death had. It's obviously not a competition but I still think people underestimate the TRUE impact Michael Jackson had. No one and I mean NO ONE on this planet has ever had such a universal appeal, such a legitimate world stopping event. So many people stopped exactly what they were doing and it was one of the biggest, most colossal events that we will ever witness as a human race.

The world treated Michael Jackson wrong. We don't deserve another kind hearted, truly, genuinely talented and so god damn hard working man. They had no idea what Michael Jackson really was, and still don't. The false narrative to try and describe the indescribable will not ever stick and people will always have the undeniable classics that stem from 1979-2001 AT LEAST. We don't need another Michael Jackson. We need to understand the true impact, influence and appeal he had first before anyone could come close.

It will never happen. Look at what happened when he died. Even Prince, as big as he was meant to be, couldn't touch the sides of the impact his death had. It's obviously not a competition but I still think people underestimate the TRUE impact Michael Jackson had. No one and I mean NO ONE on this planet has ever had such a universal appeal, such a legitimate world stopping event. So many people stopped exactly what they were doing and it was one of the biggest, most colossal events that we will ever witness as a human race.

The world treated Michael Jackson wrong. We don't deserve another kind hearted, truly, genuinely talented and so god damn hard working man. They had no idea what Michael Jackson really was, and still don't. The false narrative to try and describe the indescribable will not ever stick and people will always have the undeniable classics that stem from 1979-2001 AT LEAST. We don't need another Michael Jackson. We need to understand the true impact, influence and appeal he had first before anyone could come close.

^^^^
This

Michael was one of a kind there will NEVER be another, and it's disrespectful that the media constantly tries to put lesser artist on the same level as him.
Notice how there's never a next Beatles, or Elvis, and I'm sure the media won't constantly look for another Prince (rest his soul).
Michael was a one of a kind gem that the world will never see again, so we need to stop looking for another and instead reflect on the amazing things he did for us, and how we treated him whilst he was still here.

Michael Jackson, often imitated, but will never be duplicated.

On one hand, it goes to show what a void his passing has left. However, that void can't be filled by some hyped artist. This kind of talent is born, not "produced". There are plenty of good singers out there, but it's not about singing or sales - it's about the impact.

The fact that the conclusion is reached that music can get no better, or that we may never see another musical pioneer/luminary ever again shows how stagnant the music industry has become

The fact that the conclusion is reached that music can get no better, or that we may never see another musical pioneer/luminary ever again shows how stagnant the music industry has become

Hold up though don't worry we've got Justin Bieber, Justin Timberlake, Beyonce, Adele, Bruno Mars, Chris Brown, Usher, the Weeknd, Rihanna, and everyone else (seeing as just about everyone has been called the new or next MJ).:smilerolleyes:

There will never be another entertainer like Michael Jackson, a man that can captivate an audience like no other. He has accomplished things that no one else in the business has ever done. The music industry will continue to have legends and icons, but none will ever be more iconic or legendary than Michael Jackson. I wish that the world had treated him better while we had him here here. His fans will always love him, but many in the media and critics did not like him. There will be other great singers, entertainers, and musicians, but will not reach the level that he did.

There will never be another Michael period. I went to Garth Brooks Saturday night at Van Andle in Grand Rapids. I am not a country music fan at all. I will say Garth is the greatest living performer we have today. I don't think anyone is even close. The energy and live signing was incredible. I was at the late show which didn't start until just past 11pm. At 2:20am the show finally ended. He play 35 songs that night apposed to the normal 24. He covered billy Joel and about 5 Bob seager songs. It was the greatest night since I seen Mj on the bad tour. If you have a chance to catch him go and see for yourself you will be blown away! Tickets were only $67 didn't matter where you were seated same price.

Pop music or the music industry could not ever duplicate what Michael had inside of him.. it was HIM that was amazing, not a 'pop machine' that spit him out..

KOPV;4149436 said:
Pop music or the music industry could not ever duplicate what Michael had inside of him.. it was HIM that was amazing, not a 'pop machine' that spit him out..

^^^^
This 100%

That's why the media trys SO hard to say that so and so is "Just as good as MJ", "The new King of Pop", "The next Michael Jackson", etc because deep down they know that someone on the same level as MJ will NEVER be seen again, but sadly most people are easily impressed enough to think that someone from the current batch of artist and entertainers is or could be on the same level as MJ when in reality you'd have to put together Rihanna, Beyoncé, and Adele (the best right now) to equal 1/4th of MJ.

^ Very true what you said... But I want to take a spin on it as well.. a positive one..

Another reason why everyone is all on the 'Next MJ' ideal is because there was no magic like him.. Even as the media turned on him, the public missed loving MJ.. even when alive people missed Michael.. they all want to feel that again.. A lot of new comers come and they always hope and hope... "Is this it?" "Can it happen again? ... It's human nature not wanting to let it go!!

Like when parents try to re live christmas through the kids... Everyone wants to feel what Michael made people feel... He was that Christmas type feeling, and it was REAL!!!

^ Very true what you said... But I want to take a spin on it as well.. a positive one..

Another reason why everyone is all on the 'Next MJ' ideal is because there was no magic like him.. Even as the media turned on him, the public missed loving MJ.. even when alive people missed Michael.. they all want to feel that again.. A lot of new comers come and they always hope and hope... "Is this it?" "Can it happen again? ... It's human nature not wanting to let it go!!

Like when parents try to re live christmas through the kids... Everyone wants to feel what Michael made people feel... He was that Christmas type feeling, and it was REAL!!!

Some of this is very true. :)

I believe one will have trouble finding a performer as great as Michael. I mean that none can ever reach Michael's level because he was really unique. But people should expect new talents, unique individuals. Not slight Michael Jackson impersonations. That's my personal opinion on the subject.

Peace! ? :)

Back