‘2000 Watts’: a love-or-hate song?

mj_frenzy

Proud Member
Country
Greece
There is no denying that ‘2000 Watts’ is listed in the most unconventional tracks that MJ has ever recorded in his entire career (in terms of vocals & lyrics, primarily).

As a result of that, ‘2000 Watts’ seems to be one of the songs that cause the most diversified feelings about it among MJ’s fans.

Personally, I am not ashamed to admit that ‘2000 Watts’ struck me, from the very beginning, as one of the highlights of the ‘Invincible’ album. The song speaks for itself: an unorthodox vocal style along with a powerful, relentless production make the track sound like dynamite, not to mention the lyrical, sexual metaphors which are used in a really ingenious way.

Still today, its great appeal to me has not lessened in the slightest.

What a pity that a music clip was never released for that song!

My one & only disagreement has to do with Teddy Riley’s additional, background vocals & I wish they had not been included at all on the track.

Finally, it has long been said that MJ’s voice (in that song) is technically altered, to some degree, in order to sound the way it does. But, we should not forget that MJ had already sung in the past with a very similar vocal style (& without necessarily having his voice technically altered), not only on prior studio recordings (for example, few lines from ‘Come Together’) but also during on stage appearances (such as, the live ad-libs – “…you, you…” – towards the end of ‘Man In The Mirror’ at the Grammy 1988 performance).

I love 2000 Watts. (y)
What about the rumor that the original 2000-Watts-Version is much longer that the one on the album? :chillin:

(mj_frenzy: how about a poll for this question?)

Marcel_MR;4146082 said:
I love 2000 Watts. (y)
What about the rumor that the original 2000-Watts-Version is much longer that the one on the album? :chillin:

(mj_frenzy: how about a poll for this question?)

I am glad to see that you like ‘2000 Watts’!

It is standard practice for many songs to have different, longer duration as compared to their officially released versions.

As regards your suggestion, I think it is more interesting to see why fans like or dislike that song, whereas a poll would probably make them only vote.

This is my favorite song on Invincible. I had it on repeat non-stop when I first heard it! Michael sounds gangster and I love his deeper voice.

Finally, it has long been said that MJ’s voice (in that song) is technically altered, to some degree, in order to sound the way it does. But, we should not forget that MJ had already sung in the past with a very similar vocal style (& without necessarily having his voice technically altered), not only on prior studio recordings (for example, few lines from ‘Come Together’) but also during on stage appearances (such as, the live ad-libs – “…you, you…” – towards the end of ‘Man In The Mirror’ at the Grammy 1988 performance).

Someone who worked on the album said that Michael's voice had not been altered, but I can't remember who it was...

I love the song, always have since he first time I heard it

I love this song. Probably the best one from Invincible ! Maybe because it reverses the fact that everybody say he used to have a girlish voice in his life and his songs. It shows how his music can be "agressive" with this one, Threatened and Privacy and that's what create the magic. He was able to make a song like She's Out Of My Life and a song like 2000 Watts.

Last edited:
Love the song, but would have loved to have heard it sung in his usual singing voice, a la the verses in Smooth Criminal.

etoile 37;4146097 said:
This is my favorite song on Invincible. I had it on repeat non-stop when I first heard it! Michael sounds gangster and I love his deeper voice.

Someone who worked on the album said that Michael's voice had not been altered, but I can't remember who it was...

Regarding MJ’s voice in ‘2000 Watts’, Teddy Riley (co-writer/co-producer of the song) appeared to have said:

“...he [MJ] did sing that low…” & “the only effect I put on him [MJ] vocal after he sung it was the Yamaha symphonic preset”.

lougrizli;4146401 said:
I love this song. Probably the best one from Invincible ! Maybe because it reverses the fact that everybody say he used to have a girlish voice in his life and his songs. It shows how his music can be "agressive" with this one, Threatened and Privacy and that's what create the magic. He was able to make a song like She's Out Of My Life and a song like 2000 Watts.

I can get your point about reversing people’s perception/opinion concerning his voice (in his songs & his life).

But, personally, I believe that the aggressive vocal style/music was not foreign to MJ at all even before 2001.

Of course, singing an entire song in such an uncharacteristically aggressive vocal tone is what makes ‘2000 Watts’ a totally different piece of music. For this reason, I think that fans either love it or hate it.

Love the song, but would have loved to have heard it sung in his usual singing voice, a la the verses in Smooth Criminal.
Couldn't agree more. I love when he uses his low register and I love when Michael sings aggressively, but I also love how he uses it within a song-not the whole song.
I've given this song 2 or 3 chances. Don't like it.

It was definitely a grower that had to grow on me with age. I was a bit too young to get it when I was younger (I'm pretty sure I was like 10 when it came out). Now I'm in my twenties and I like it a lot. :wub:

I don't love it, but I like to give it an occasional listen when the mood hits.

I personally love this song. I love the way Michael sings it. One of MJ's most interesting songs.

My favourite part of this song is when MJ screams "What?!?". It fits perfectly with the music.

I must admit - I do not like the song very much...

One of my least liked MJ songs overall. - But I do give MJ credit for trying out new stuff and sounds. - Just not my taste...

I like the song. I can't say I play it often, but when it comes on it's hard to resist jamming :D

I'm surprised it has many fans, it's one of the weakest tracks on the album. The only song Michael released I regard as awful.

Well, I was hoping that Invincible would sound like 2000 watts and heartbreaker. Those are my favorites off the album because they are so experimental. There is much going on audio wise while balanced at the same time. I really really really enjoy the music of this track. The world is still not ready for it though along with a couple of fans.

^I give him credit as well for being experimental but that song sounds like his failed attempt (IMO,) as a miiddle-age man to "look cool" with teenagers.

I used to REALLY like 2000 Watts as a kid because it has a futuristic title and sound to it. Nowadays, not so much. I do like that it shows off MJ's lower voice range, but personally, I would have switched it with "Shout".

"Shout" was originally going to be on Invincible, but for whatever reason, it was switched with 2000 Watts at the last minute and made into the B-Side of Cry. Shout shows us all that not only did MJ have a deep range, but that he could actually RAP. Usually it's some guest rapper on his tracks, but I love that Michael rapped on his own

"Shout" was originally going to be on Invincible, but for whatever reason, it was switched with 2000 Watts at the last minute and made into the B-Side of Cry. Shout shows us all that not only did MJ have a deep range, but that he could actually RAP. Usually it's some guest rapper on his tracks, but I love that Michael rapped on his own

Michael had them Bars. :yes:

"2000 Watts" has lyrics that pertain to sex ("J-J-Just enough to make your juices flow"), but the rest is random nonsense.

Solid track nonetheless. Nothing excellent but definitely something that could do well underground.

I used to REALLY like 2000 Watts as a kid because it has a futuristic title and sound to it. Nowadays, not so much. I do like that it shows off MJ's lower voice range, but personally, I would have switched it with "Shout".

According to 'Making Michael, Shout was replaced with You Are My Life which was originally called You Are My World. MJ changed the lyric 'World to 'Life and gave himself a writing credit.

It was a fan-made video for 2000 Watts that made me enjoy the track a bit more. Must see if I can find that video. It's not a go-to song for me but it's something different and the production on it is interesting and I like the futuristic feel on it. I agree with AlwaysThere; there's no deep meaningful secret behind the lyrics, the track is driven by the beat and groove and the lyrics play support to it. I just wish the album was mixed better. It's the one album that would benefit from a remaster. Everything just seems pushed up to 100.

Back