‘The Way You Make Me Feel’ (MSG, 2001): Which of the two performances do you prefer?

mj_frenzy

Proud Member
Country
Greece
In 2001, MJ gave two shows at Madison Square Garden for his 30th Anniversary Celebration (The Solo Years).

Among other songs, he also performed ‘The Way You Make Me Feel’.

On September 7th, Britney Spears accompanied him on stage.

But, on September 10th, a different girl accompanied him on stage & the song was performed not in the (exact) same way.

[video=youtube;ptAk0ExBgYc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptAk0ExBgYc[/video]

[video=youtube;5AqRGPnw1VY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AqRGPnw1VY[/video]

I liked the performabxe with Britney, because it took me a while to figure out that Michael actually lip synced the song. It sounds pretty good.

He's more "together" on the second night overall than the first night. If you read the book "My Friend Michael", you'll know that MJ wasn't in his usual groove that night and he was a little out of it, to put it lightly. Even when MJ's not at his best, he's still amazing on stage. My ultimate choice goes to he 10th since he was more in his element, so to speak.

Last edited:
Actually that side-on shot of MJ dancing from the 10th is awesome.

Why wasn't Britney there both nights? Did all the guest artists (Liza, Whitney, etc.) just perform one night?

I like the 7th date the best. Partially because I'm a huge Britney fan. Both are great though. Dance-wise the 10th date is better.

Why wasn't Britney there both nights? Did all the guest artists (Liza, Whitney, etc.) just perform one night?

I assume the guest artists were a one-night thing.

I like the 7th date the best. Partially because I'm a huge Britney fan. Both are great though. Dance-wise the 10th date is better.

I assume the guest artists were a one-night thing.
Thanks. I've only seen it on tv and just assumed they spliced the best of both nights.

Does anyone else think his vocals sound really good on the 10th?

I like the solo one, because Britney's voice just wasn't suited for the song. She sounded very hoarse.

I like the one with Britney the best as well,shame the picture quality isnt very good though

I like it with Britney for something different.. but any time someone takes up MJ vocals for their own.. eh, I want to hear Michael over anyone. lol

having been to both concerts, both performances are special in their own way.

The Friday night concert, the atmosphere was insane. Alot of people complain about how long it was, how things were not right etc but that just added to the special, incredible, just indescribable uniqueness of what we experienced. Some memories like Michael onstage doing vocal exerciser during a break in performances or the fact that for a few years, before YouTube existed and became mainstream, we were the only ones who had seen Britneys performance. All the parts in between the performances which are cut out of the videos and TV broadcasts, we soaked it all up.

Just being able to watch Michael watch a show with his family and then actually go onstage and give the performances he did, never mind all the other stuff, seeing the behind the scenes stuff, just being able to watch him for hours and hours, it was time suspended.

Side note, the reason there is a different dancer on Monday night is because of Britneys contract. She could only perform once, as long as her performance was not broadcast. If her contract had been different she would have done Monday night too. Some of the performers did both nights,Usher was definitely on both nights, and Elizabeth Talyor. Honestly I dont remember much of the performers from the first night as me and my friends were watching Michael when he was sat in the audience watching the show.

Monday night show was also special and amazing and the atmosphere had a different intensity. New York was buzzing with Michael Mania, those who had not been to the Friday show experiencing something for the first time, those that had been to the Friday show getting to experience everything all over again. Ticket demand for Monday night was insane. Everyone who was anyone in New York just HAD to be there on Monday night, no matter the cost.

Mondays concert was just incredible, to see everything again, just made the atmosphere even more intense if that was possible. To have the luxury of knowing we would see Billie Jean again, Beat It again, The Way You Make Me Feel Again, sitting the audience watching Michael talk to Elizabeth and just knowing that in an hour or so he would be onstage was something so so special.

So really you cant say one TWYMMF was "better" than the other, as each need to be viewed in context of that particular concert.

If Usher was there both nights, then why did he not join MJ for You Rock My World on the 7th?

The Friday night concert, the atmosphere was insane. Alot of people complain about how long it was, how things were not right etc but that just added to the special, incredible, just indescribable uniqueness of what we experienced. Some memories like Michael onstage doing vocal exerciser during a break in performances or the fact that for a few years, before YouTube existed and became mainstream, we were the only ones who had seen Britneys performance. All the parts in between the performances which are cut out of the videos and TV broadcasts, we soaked it all up.

Just being able to watch Michael watch a show with his family and then actually go onstage and give the performances he did, never mind all the other stuff, seeing the behind the scenes stuff, just being able to watch him for hours and hours, it was time suspended.

Side note, the reason there is a different dancer on Monday night is because of Britneys contract. She could only perform once, as long as her performance was not broadcast. If her contract had been different she would have done Monday night too. Some of the performers did both nights,Usher was definitely on both nights, and Elizabeth Talyor. Honestly I dont remember much of the performers from the first night as me and my friends were watching Michael when he was sat in the audience watching the show.

Monday night show was also special and amazing and the atmosphere had a different intensity. New York was buzzing with Michael Mania, those who had not been to the Friday show experiencing something for the first time, those that had been to the Friday show getting to experience everything all over again. Ticket demand for Monday night was insane. Everyone who was anyone in New York just HAD to be there on Monday night, no matter the cost.

Mondays concert was just incredible, to see everything again, just made the atmosphere even more intense if that was possible. To have the luxury of knowing we would see Billie Jean again, Beat It again, The Way You Make Me Feel Again, sitting the audience watching Michael talk to Elizabeth and just knowing that in an hour or so he would be onstage was something so so special.

So really you cant say one TWYMMF was "better" than the other, as each need to be viewed in context of that particular concert.

Having been to both also I felt the general feeling in the audience was more like 'what happened'. I actually felt sad watching it.

If Usher was there both nights, then why did he not join MJ for You Rock My World on the 7th?
I dont know, I dont really remember much from the 7th. The reason I know Usher was there on Friday was because me and my friends were standing and dancing and screaming (as you do at a concert) and 3 American girls behind us were not happy as they were Usher fans and they couldnt see him because of us. They told us to sit down and shut up and when we refused they started pouring their sodas over us. That made us scream louder and we then started holding our flags above our heads to obstruct their view on purpose. In the end they left. We didnt care, we had travelled half way across the world to see Michael, it was his night and I dont give a fedora, no one tells me to stop dancing and screaming at a concert!! Compared to the bruises and other minor injuries we get in Europe when we got crushed at barriers, having soda poured on us was nothing.

Of course the one with Britney. That one is just amazing!

This has been my question for years-were the performers there both nights, or did some come on one night and some on another-and they spliced it. I always wondered about Liza Minnelli, Whitney, etc. Elizabeth was there both nights watching?

This has been my question for years-were the performers there both nights, or did some come on one night and some on another-and they spliced it. I always wondered about Liza Minnelli, Whitney, etc. Elizabeth was there both nights watching?

Whitney was there on Friday night as was Elizabeth. She was wearing the same clothes like Michael on both nights. I remember watching Michael talk to her on Friday night. Destinys Child were there on Friday night, Marlon Brando was there Friday night.

For me it's the 7th... because I was there. Sadly had to leave before the Monday (in hindsight was amazingly lucky).

Britney and Michael together on stage was phenomenal.

You know something very strange about 30th Anniversary, I called in about tickets to Ticketmaster the day I heard it was going on sale.. The guy that I spoke to said that as of right now the show is a rumor.. next thing I knew, it was sold out...

I still don't understand what the deal is with that!

You know something very strange about 30th Anniversary, I called in about tickets to Ticketmaster the day I heard it was going on sale.. The guy that I spoke to said that as of right now the show is a rumor.. next thing I knew, it was sold out...

I still don't understand what the deal is with that!

Thats because the first lot of tickets were sold through fanclubs. I got both of my tickets through Deborah Dannelys at mjfanclub .net MJNI were selling tickets as were King of Pop Fanatics, Angel, MJWORLDNetwork, Planet Jackson in France, the Italian fanclub, the Spanish fanclub etc etc. Basically anyone who had a connection with MJJproductions could get tickets for their members.

Just so you know both mjfanclub .net and King of Pop Fanatics were American fanclubs

Then the tickets went on general sale, but the demand was huge. Originally only one concert was announced, I think in April then the second was added later. The tickets went onsale in July I think.

I dont know if the tickets were sold through Ticketmaster or only direct from David Gest/World Events LLC/ Clear Channel Entertainment / MSG Box Office

Also just like the London Concerts in 2009, even though the concerts were officially sold out, there were many many tickets for sale within the fan community. Many fans bought multiple tickets for the same night, the first ticket was to make sure the would be able to be there and then they starting upgrading and buying more tickets to get better seats. I remember being outside Michael's hotel on Sunday 9 September and fans had tickets for sale.

Last edited:
^^That explains a lot. The last time I watched the 30th anniversary show I recognized people in the audience from the TII announcement.

Back