2016 Vinyl Reissues of OTW, Thriller and Bad

Eric

Proud Member
Looks like OTW, Thriller and Bad will be getting reissued on vinyl this week.
I don't think OTW had been issued on vinyl in the USA for a really long time so that's good news.

Re: 2016 Vinyl reissues of OTW, Thriller and Bad

Thanks for the info.

I must get out my turntable and my original MJ singles.

Any excuse to get the old 7 inches out.

I live in the USA. There are some websites that list these releases as UK imports and others that don't list them as imports. So I'm curious to know if these will actually be imports or not for the USA. I also hope they will be gatefolds.

Only £19.99 each on Amazon. Released on Friday.

Tony R;4147801 said:
Only £19.99 each on Amazon. Released on Friday.

In the US most places have them listed for $20. That seems suspiciously cheap for a 12" vinyl complete album.

In the US most places have them listed for $20. That seems suspiciously cheap for a 12" vinyl complete album.

I'd say good news! For once, not a rip off.

Maybe. I read somewhere that these reissues are being pressed with audio files that were mastered for itunes and not vinyl. I don't know if that is true but maybe that's a reason for the price being cheaper.

I purchased the Off The Wall reissue today at Barnes & Noble. They aren't carrying Thriller or Bad in stores, only online.

I purchased the Off The Wall reissue today at Barnes & Noble. They aren't carrying Thriller or Bad in stores, only online.

Let us know how it sounds.

Let us know how it sounds.

I'm not a sound expert but I think it sounds great. Very clear sound with no hissing sound that I get from some of my other vinyl records. I've ordered Thriller and Bad from the internet and they should be here within a few days.

A funny thing I noticed was the the Bad and Thriller vinyl have a copyright year of 2015 on them while Off the Wall has a year of 2016. I think maybe Bad and Thriller were originally going to be reissued last year at the same time Dangerous was reissued. I always thought it was strange that only Dangerous got reissued by itself last year.

A funny thing I noticed was the the Bad and Thriller vinyl have a copyright year of 2015 on them while Off the Wall has a year of 2016. I think maybe Bad and Thriller were originally going to be reissued last year at the same time Dangerous was reissued. I always thought it was strange that only Dangerous got reissued by itself last year.

I noticed that too.

Also it seems as though the 'Co-produced by Michael Jackson' credit has appeared on the back of Thriller's sleeve? Was that there before? Did it not just say Quincy.

I noticed that too.

Also it seems as though the 'Co-produced by Michael Jackson' credit has appeared on the back of Thriller's sleeve? Was that there before? Did it not just say Quincy.

Looking at my vinyl pressings from the 80s, it only says it was produced by Quincy Jones for his company. So yeah it's definitely been added in.

Can't say I'm against this, pretty sure MJ has always been credited as co-producer for the songs on the album (just not on the back of the album). If it makes more people aware that he played an active role both on and off the microphone, then I'm all for it!

can someone compare the audio quality from the 2009 "Music on Vinyl" releases to these 2015/2016 releases?
i have bought the 2015/2016, and i want to know if i should buy the 2009 releases.

Last edited:

The new vinyl editions of these are on sale at HMV in the UK at the moment.

I have been tempted by them purely because of the loving care they have taken on the sleeves - the photographs of Michael have never looked quite so stunning.

I have been tempted by them purely because of the loving care they have taken on the sleeves - the photographs of Michael have never looked quite so stunning.

Yeah, only a tenner. I was tempted.....

ChrisC;4169700 said:
I think one of them is only £8. Perhaps Off the Wall?

Hmmm. I may get them and put in those vinyl frames they have.

I bought Off The Wall on amazon to preserve my 79 copy. Hope it has the handclaps in RWY and GOTF

i have bought them from amazon uk. Off the Wall 7.99, Thriller 9.99 and Bad 9.99
i thought thats a fair price.

But like i asked. Is it worth to buy the music on vinyl editions (OTW, Thriller, Bad, Dangerous, Invincible) from 2009?
They are not official releases. The are not Sony products. Thats why i havent bought them in 2009. But now i thought its maybe worth to buy them.
Can someone tell me?
Soundquality? Mastering?

i have bought them from amazon uk. Off the Wall 7.99, Thriller 9.99 and Bad 9.99
i thought thats a fair price.

But like i asked. Is it worth to buy the music on vinyl editions (OTW, Thriller, Bad, Dangerous, Invincible) from 2009?
They are not official releases. The are not Sony products. Thats why i havent bought them in 2009. But now i thought its maybe worth to buy them.
Can someone tell me?
Soundquality? Mastering?

The MOV invincible sounds amazingon my average sony turntable, and a thread at stevehoffman forums all recommended it. It is official, epic mjj music etc. Ive read the 2001 vinyl sounds exactly like the cd. This is better.

The MOV invincible sounds amazingon my average sony turntable, and a thread at stevehoffman forums all recommended it. It is official, epic mjj music etc. Ive read the 2001 vinyl sounds exactly like the cd. This is better.

i have the european vinyl of invincible. so you mean the 2009 vinyl is better than the 2001 vinyl?
do you know if the US vinyl from 2001 is better than the european 2001 vinyl?

i have the european vinyl of invincible. so you mean the 2009 vinyl is better than the 2001 vinyl?
do you know if the US vinyl from 2001 is better than the european 2001 vinyl?

I don't have the 01 version, but from what ive read the MOV is a big improvement.

No idea about US v EU though sorry

Just got the 2016 OTW.

Im not sure why my sealed LP came with a scratched side 1, bit theres an unbearable noise on the right channel. Its feint on side 2. Going to look for a refund i think.

Just got the 2016 OTW.

Im not sure why my sealed LP came with a scratched side 1, bit theres an unbearable noise on the right channel. Its feint on side 2. Going to look for a refund i think.

was the "Music on vinyl" Sticker still on it?

was the "Music on vinyl" Sticker still on it?

No, this is the 2016 Epic release [FONT=&quot]88875189421. The seller has already shipped another one out to me but the difference in sound between this and the 79 pressing is major. Nice to have I guess. Anyone want to buy a damaged copy???[/FONT]

is it correct that there are only EU versions from the 2016 re-releases?

is it correct that there are only EU versions from the 2016 re-releases?

Will check for you this evening Chris, I got my replacement OTW yesterday from Amazon.

After a quick skip to Rock With You, the distorted noise on the right channel (while not as bad as the first copy I got) is still there. I tried this on my friends TT also and you can hear the noise. It was quite cheap so I'm not that annoyed, especially since I have the original, but seems a bit shoddy.

Back