Madison Square Garden 2001

Remington Steele

Proud Member
Hello,

I just watched an amateur recording of the first show (Sept. 7th). I have a few questions about MSG 2001 - first show and in general (both shows):
First show:
1.) after Billie Jean, Michael wanted to do something spontaneously. I didn't really get it, did he accept a song wish? Which song was it?
2.) Black or white: Am I mistaken or did they really not bother to hire a rapper to perform the song live?
3.) after YRMW, it also seemed a song should have been played, but suddenly Michael just left the stage. What happened?
4.) The recording of the first show I watched is about 1 hour, is that all there is?
General:
5.) Somewhere I read that amateur recording(s) do show more live vocals of Michael. Is this true for both shows, or only the first show?
6.) Which songs are originally performed live that are playback in the TV airings?
7.) How does the second show differ from the first one? I read Michael was in better shape? Was it a different setlist?

Thank you...

1.) He accepted a song wish and the song was You Rock My World. I don't think he would have performed any song. Someone yelled YRMW so he chose it because they were going to perform it anyway. Then Michael wanted to perform it but the band couldn't for some reason. Michael said it would come later.

3.) There was We Are The World:

7.) I think Michael was a lot better in the second show. Michael was clearly under some medication during the first show. Frank Cascio said in his book that he had trouble getting Michael out of bed before the show and they were late. He said that a doctor gave something to Michael. He felt that Michael tried to get out of the show.

Last edited:
Billie Jean (10 sep). that was aired was different from the Amateur, like HIStory tour Michael sing Live at the end, but in TV version they removed the live vocal.

Back