BEFORE YOU JUDGE ME (New Book on MJ's Last Days)

Moviefan2k4

Proud Member
NOTE: The mods deleted my original thread for this, due to a lack of a "reliable news source". I'm not really sure what they meant by that, but here's an article from USA Today about upcoming books in general; Michael's is fifth on that list.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/...rowling-stephen-king-liane-moriarty/84599598/

So, I'm still looking forward to this; anyone else feel the same?

7d0d7cf65aa952b148fefd78f21857f6.jpg

Yet another one like that book about mj & Elizabeth taylor SMH

Moviefan2k4;4151320 said:
NOTE: The mods deleted my original thread for this, due to a lack of a "reliable news source". I'm not really sure what they meant by that, but here's an article from USA Today about upcoming books in general; Michael's is fifth on that list.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/...rowling-stephen-king-liane-moriarty/84599598/

So, I'm still looking forward to this; anyone else feel the same?

7d0d7cf65aa952b148fefd78f21857f6.jpg

Personally, I am very skeptical about books that focus on MJ’s final days.

mj_frenzy;4151341 said:
Personally, I am very skeptical about books that focus on MJ’s final days.
I'm skeptical regarding most books about him in general, which is why I've bought so few. However, I saw Tavis' interview with Quincy Jones about the Motown days; he seemed very enthusiastic and respectful. That, more than anything right now, gives me hope for the book.

Hes probably like Lee when it comes to mj considering how he attacked mj during the trial era.. yet another opportunist trying to cash in

^^He was very excited and interested in his interview with James Ingram. And the one he did recently with Berry Gordy and Suzanne dePasse was great.
He does seem to do a lot of research before his interviews and asks thoughtful questions.
But this book is going to depend on his sources. I'm sure I'll pass, unless somebody here gives it a really glowing review.

Edit: just read the comment by EM. I have heard that before and he could be another one to jump on the post 2009 bandwagon. I didn't see Tavis until after that. There are a LOT of those, although I personally don't put Spike in that category. I don't care to give people like that my money.

^^He was very excited and interested in his interview with James Ingram. And the one he did recently with Berry Gordy and Suzanne dePasse was great.
I stand corrected: it was Berry Gordy I saw Tavis interview, not Quincy Jones.

Edit: just read the comment by EM. I have heard that before and he could be another one to jump on the post 2009 bandwagon. I didn't see Tavis until after that. There are a LOT of those, although I personally don't put Spike in that category. I don't care to give people like that my money.
I'm not a huge Spike Lee fan at all, but MJ trusted him enough to do a couple of videos with him...and I liked Bad 25 quite a bit. I found the documentary about Off the Wall rather lacking, though.

^^I loved both. Only complaint is that I wanted them both to be at least an hour longer. :)

My issues were with spike after mj left. Unfortunatly hes as fake and hypocritical as the rest. But thats another thread

There's another new book on Michael's death now??!! Called "83 minutes."
Has this been reported on? Just saw a review in the Washington Post.
I swear if I see one more lying story about him being drug addicted and drug addled back to the Pepsi commercial, I'm just going to scream and scream.

Edited to add:
Never mind: I found the thread from last year-apparently it just came out here and is being reviewed. More trash stuff.

Last edited:
Everyone has quite a lot to say these days (meaning authors of books), now that Michael's not around to contest... But that's none of my business lol. :smilerolleyes:

What im thinking about wasnt during the trial but after he left

Michael Jackson was healthy before his death, according to The Associated Press, which obtained a copy of Jackson's autopsy report.

The Los Angeles County coroner's report listed Jackson at a healthy weight for a man of his height (136 pounds). Jackson also had a strong heart and his major organs were normal, according to the report.

Some minor health problems were found: Jackson had arthritis in the lower spine and a few fingers as well as mild plaque buildup in his leg arteries. The most alarming issue was Jackson's lungs, which were chronically inflamed and had reduced capacity, according to the report. The autopsy noted that his lung condition was not severe enough to have either caused or contributed to his death, however.

According to the coroner's office, Jackson's June 25 death was caused by "acute propofol intoxication," with two other sedatives listed as contributing factors. Last month, the coroner's office ruled Jackson' death a homicide.
Dr. Conrad Murray administered propofol and the two other sedatives to help Jackson sleep, according to court documents. Murray is the target of manslaughter investigation, according to Los Angeles police. No criminal charges have been filed.

http://www.tvguide.com/news/report-michael-jackson-1010415/

Hopefully this new book will keep this in mind. Michael may have had financial issues at time of death, but like a man who believes in responsibility and accountability, Michael went back to work to pay down his debt load. Dr. Murray was held responsible for the death of Michael in a Court of Law!

True, but his punishment was nowhere near appropriate. He got released after serving two years of a four-year sentence, supposedly due to "prison overcrowding", and his medical license is only revoked in three states. :(

True, but his punishment was nowhere near appropriate. He got released after serving two years of a four-year sentence, supposedly due to "prison overcrowding", and his medical license is only revoked in three states. :(
He was only licensed in 3 states, though, right? California, Nevada, and Texas. As a convicted felon, I doubt he can be licensed anywhere.

How is he supporting himself anyway? Every time I see a picture of him, he seems to be doing really well. Why isn't he in prison for non-payment of child support?

Maybe his got something going on on the side who know. He still can do alots of thing because the Jacksons let him of the hook did not make him pay.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/...vis-smiley-before-you-judge-me-book/86045470/

Tavis Smiley imagines Michael Jackson's final days in new book

Tavis Smiley had his plane ticket and hotel reservation and was thrilled that he was going to see Michael Jackson's comeback performance at London’s O2 Arena in July 2009.

Smiley, a Jackson fan since childhood, had never before asked a favor of “Miss Katherine,” Jackson’s mother, with whom he was friendly. But the PBS talk-show host simply had to see the singer's final "This Is It" concert series. Mrs. Jackson said she’d make certain he got good seats.

Then, as Smiley writes in his new book, “came June 25.”

“It hit me so hard,” Smiley says by phone from Los Angeles, describing how he felt when he heard of Jackson’s shocking death at age 50. “I was just undone. It came out of nowhere.”

He wanted to understand how it happened, to literally “get inside Jackson’s head.” And that’s what he and co-author David Ritz attempt in Before You Judge Me: The Triumph and Tragedy of Michael Jackson’s Last Days (Little, Brown), which arrives just days before the seventh anniversary of the superstar’s death.

The non-fiction book takes a novelistic approach, speculating on how Jackson feels, what he's thinking, and most pointedly, how he cannot sleep in the 16 weeks leading up to his death.

“Sometimes we lose sight of people’s humanity,” Smiley, 51, says. While the book makes clear that Jackson suffered "any number of self-inflicted wounds,” Smiley says he hopes “it allows us to see him through a different prism. Allows us to revel not just his artistic genius, but in his humanity.”

The co-authors interviewed people close to Jackson such as Quincy Jones, Berry Gordy and Janet Jackson, and called on trial transcripts and other documents, including the case against Jackson's personal physician, Dr. Conrad Murray. (Jackson died of acute propofol intoxication. Another new book also publishing on Tuesday — 83 Minutes: The Doctor, the Damage, and the Shocking Death of Michael Jackson by Matt Richards and Mark Langthorne — closely examines the case.)

Smiley, who wrote a remembrance for USA TODAY after his friend Prince's untimely death, says Gordy said it best in trying to understand why some celebrities succumb to drugs: “Berry said to me, ‘There are moments in the lives of certain iconic figures where, if they're not careful, they become rudderless.’”

Jackson was dealing with many pressures in the final months of his life, as he agreed to increase the number of London shows from 10 to 50.

636017771538352065-Tavis-The-Smiley-Group-Inc.-Kevin-Foley.jpg

Author Tavis Smiley looks at Michael Jackson's last days in his new book. (Photo: Kevin Foley)

Smiley says he ended up wondering “how Jackson survived as long as he did. In the last 16 weeks of his life, he’s self-medicating, he’s changing managers like he’s changing underwear, his father is on his case to do a reunion tour with his brothers, he's got creditors coming at him.”

Before You Judge Me does not directly address the child molestation allegations that shadowed Jackson for years. “I wasn’t there, and I will never know,” Smiley says.

Smiley, author of numerous books, remains a dedicated fan of Jackson’s music and artistry. He says he’s often wondered what that London show would have been like.

“I like to think he would have put on a great opening night,” says Smiley, who believes there would have been subsequent cancellations. “How long he could have sustained that, I do not know. Not with the condition he was in.”

Paris78;4152616 said:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/...vis-smiley-before-you-judge-me-book/86045470/

Tavis Smiley had his plane ticket and hotel reservation and was thrilled that he was going to see Michael Jackson's comeback performance at London’s O2 Arena in July 2009.

Smiley, a Jackson fan since childhood, had never before asked a favor of “Miss Katherine,” Jackson’s mother, with whom he was friendly. But the PBS talk-show host simply had to see the singer's final "This Is It" concert series. Mrs. Jackson said she’d make certain he got good seats.

“It hit me so hard,” Smiley says by phone from Los Angeles, describing how he felt when he heard of Jackson’s shocking death at age 50. “I was just undone. It came out of nowhere.”

He wanted to understand how it happened, to literally “get inside Jackson’s head.” And that’s what he and co-author David Ritz attempt in Before You Judge Me: The Triumph and Tragedy of Michael Jackson’s Last Days (Little, Brown), which arrives just days before the seventh anniversary of the superstar’s death.

The non-fiction book takes a novelistic approach, speculating on how Jackson feels, what he's thinking, and most pointedly, how he cannot sleep in the 16 weeks leading up to his death.

“Sometimes we lose sight of people’s humanity,” Smiley, 51, says. While the book makes clear that Jackson suffered "any number of self-inflicted wounds,” Smiley says he hopes “it allows us to see him through a different prism. Allows us to revel not just his artistic genius, but in his humanity.”

The co-authors interviewed people close to Jackson such as Quincy Jones, Berry Gordy and Janet Jackson, and called on trial transcripts and other documents, including the case against Jackson's personal physician, Dr. Conrad Murray. (Jackson died of acute propofol intoxication. Another new book also publishing on Tuesday — 83 Minutes: The Doctor, the Damage, and the Shocking Death of Michael Jackson by Matt Richards and Mark Langthorne — closely examines the case.)

Smiley, who wrote a remembrance for USA TODAY after his friend Prince's untimely death, says Gordy said it best in trying to understand why some celebrities succumb to drugs: “Berry said to me, ‘There are moments in the lives of certain iconic figures where, if they're not careful, they become rudderless.’”

Jackson was dealing with many pressures in the final months of his life, as he agreed to increase the number of London shows from 10 to 50.

Author Tavis Smiley looks at Michael Jackson's last days in his new book. (Photo: Kevin Foley)

Smiley says he ended up wondering “how Jackson survived as long as he did. In the last 16 weeks of his life, he’s self-medicating, he’s changing managers like he’s changing underwear, his father is on his case to do a reunion tour with his brothers, he's got creditors coming at him.”

Before You Judge Me does not directly address the child molestation allegations that shadowed Jackson for years. “I wasn’t there, and I will never know,” Smiley says.

Smiley, author of numerous books, remains a dedicated fan of Jackson’s music and artistry. He says he’s often wondered what that London show would have been like.

“I like to think he would have put on a great opening night,” says Smiley, who believes there would have been subsequent cancellations. “How long he could have sustained that, I do not know. Not with the condition he was in.”

I just read somewhere thats there's going to be a short TV series based on that book.
It's supposed to be by Tavis Smiley and JJ Abrams, and it's being backed by Warner Brothers.
#Thisisn'tgoingtoendwell
#Peoplejustneedtostop
#Ican'twiththismess

Last edited:
Paris78;4152616 said:

Tavis Smiley sounds just as dumb as everyone else.
"Self medicating", and "self inflicted wounds", really?
And he wasn't there so he "will never know"?

No real fan (as he calls himself) would say such things.
He disgust me.
He doesn't care about Michael, all he cares about is a quick buck at Michael's expense.
I hope that a substantial level of misfortune befalls this man.

Last edited:
Tavis Smiley sounds just as dumb as everyone else.
"Self medicating", and "self inflicted wounds", really?
And he wasn't there so he "will never know"?

No real fan (as he calls himself) would say such things.
He disgust me.
He doesn't care about Michael, all he cares about is a quick buck at Michael's expense.
I hope that a substantial level of misfortune befalls this man.
The term "self-medicating" could refer to anything being used as a coping mechanism, not just drugs or alcohol. The context of "self-inflicted wounds" seems to be an emotional one, which connects with MJ trusting the wrong people too much...something even Katherine picked up on. As for the allegations, Tavis is right: none of us can know with absolute certainty because we weren't there. I tend to believe he was always innocent, since Sneddon never found anything and the only "reports" came from people seeking money instead of jail.

Ever since I heard Tavis was one of the ones that 'bashed' Michael during the trial, I see this and his show differently.
Reading the review he reeks of hypocrisy.
He can get into Michael's thoughts and mind during the last days with ease and yet can't get into his mind with the allegations?
"I wasn't there." He wasn't there for the rest of it either.

We all think we know Michael. We all think we relate to him. A lot of us grew up with him and have had extremely similar life experiences. However, all of us always say we can't presume to speak for him out of respect. We only give our opinions.
I am sorry I once enjoyed his show. I think he's just out for a buck.

And why does he keep announcing his books made into film with JJ Abrams? Not one has been done yet!! That a publicity thing??

(Since I read he interviewed witnesses, I assume we will hear stuff like Michael calling propofol milk-something Murray claimed. Junk like that.)

the problem is the true story is not being told.......this stuff will keep going on and on and on until that time comes

and truth be told, Michael Jackson wanted his story to be told but really didn't know how to go about doing it

Some ppl need to go and get a job instead of making themselves look stupid by talking about things they have no idea about and showing their arrogance by actually thinking that ppl actually care about what their theories are. Trying to cash in on someone that they showed nothing but hate for says it all

Some ppl need to go and get a job instead of making themselves look stupid by talking about things they have no idea about and showing their arrogance by actually thinking that ppl actually care about what their theories are. Trying to cash in on someone that they showed nothing but hate for says it all
He has a job. Several great ones. Doing this for publicity and $$$.

the problem is the true story is not being told.......this stuff will keep going on and on and on until that time comes

and truth be told, Michael Jackson wanted his story to be told but really didn't know how to go about doing it
I hope you are almost finished writing that book, Brighter. Tired of all of these trash ones.

No one's qualified to write in Michael's POV except Michael.

Tavis was on msnbc morning joe (political show) The washington post columnist asked what is the big take away from the book. He said at the end MJ was rudderless. Another columnist asked why no one could reach MJ. Tavis said at a certain point, most celibrities e.g Donald Trump listen to on one. Tavis is a friend of the show,so the segment was respectful.

I don't purchase MJ books. The book i am waiting for is yet to be written.

Tavis was on MSNBC Morning Joe (political show) The Washington Post columnist asked what is the big take away from the book. He said at the end MJ was rudderless. Another columnist asked why no one could reach MJ. Tavis said at a certain point, most celebrities e.g Donald Trump listen to no one. Tavis is a friend of the show,so the segment was respectful.
Well, Michael did exclude lots of folks who tried to help him, including members of his own family. He had a way of being very defensive when challenged, taking things personally even when not intended.

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/j-j...er-on-michael-jackson-warner-bros-1201799312/

Tavis Smiley is partnering with J.J. Abrams’ Bad Robot Productions to develop Smiley’s book “Before You Judge Me: The Triumph and Tragedy of Michael Jackson’s Last Days” for Warner Bros. Television. Smiley and Bad Robot both have TV production deals with the studio.

Smiley’s book is scheduled to be published by Little, Brown and Company June 21. It looks at the highs and lows of Jackson’s life and his constant hunt for personal privacy.

Smiley and Abrams will serves as executive producers on the project with Ben Stephenson and David Brewington. The project, which has no network attached yet, is being produced by Bad Robot Productions and Tavis Smiley TV & Film in association with Warner Bros. Television.

Back