Worst mass shooting in US since 9-11

barbee0715

Proud Member
I haven't seen anything posted on this yet and I'm on a phone and can't get to a PC to copy a news report.
But been watching this on the news since I woke up.

In Orlando, at 2am. a man walked into a gay nightclub, starting shooting and took hostages.
50 people were killed including the gunman and another 53 are hospitalized.

It's unknown if it's a terrorist attack or a hate crime against LGBT people since they are celebrating gay pride during the next 2 weeks.

It's been horrible. Parents looking for their kids, parents crying and begging on TV for both gun control and tolerance. Just heart wrenching.

I swear we are starting to have some kind of mass shooting every few days.

<hgroup>Orlando massacre: Deadliest mass shooting in U.S. history

Police confirm 50 dead, 53 others taken to hospitals

UPDATED 8:55 PM EDT Jun 12, 2016

</hgroup>olice identify man who shot and killed &#8216;The Voice&#8217; singer Christina Grimmie
<figure class="ib-figure-live-program" itemscope="" itemtype="http://www.schema.org/VideoObject" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; min-height: 0px; width: auto;">
</figure>ORLANDO, Fla. &#8212;Fifty people are dead and at least 50 others were taken to area hospitals after a mass shooting at a downtown Orlando nightclub early Sunday morning, officials have confirmed.
<aside>

• STEWART MOORE RECALLS THE HOURS AFTER ORLANDO NIGHTCLUB...

A gunman opened fire at a gay nightclub in Orlando early Sunday, killing 50 people and wounding 53 more before he was killed in a shootout with SWAT team members. WESH 2 News Anchor Stewart Moore has been covering the shooting since it happened. Here's his story.
    MORE

</aside>The massacre is now the deadliest mass shooting in U.S. history.
>>Watch continuing coverage
>>Download the WESH 2 News app for iOS and Android
Authorities said Omar Mateen, 29, was armed with a .223 caliber AR type rifle and a handgun when he stormed into the Pulse nightclub off Orange Avenue and Kaley Street about 2 a.m. In a video provided to WESH 2 News, more than 20 shots can be heard.
WATCH: Multiple gunshots heard at Pulse nightclub in Snapchat video
Officials said more than 300 people were inside the club at the time. "Everyone get out of Pulse and keep running," the club posted on its official Facebook page at 2:09 a.m.
An officer working at the nightclub responded to the report of shots fired, but the incident quickly turned into a hostage situation, police said.
Orlando Police Chief John Mina said a decision was made to rescue hostages about 5 a.m. At that point, 11 Orlando police officers and several Orange County sheriff&#8217;s deputies exchanged fire with Mateen, who has since been confirmed dead.
At the scene, many other victims could be seen being carried or walked to nearby Orlando Regional Medical Center, which was placed on lockdown. The lockdown was lifted shortly before 5 p.m.
WATCH: Update from police, sheriff and FBI
The FBI has since taken over the investigation. Agent Ronald Hopper said Mateen, who is from Fort Pierce, is an American citizen and had been investigated by the FBI twice before.
Hopper said that in 2013 Mateen made comments to co-workers that indicated he had ties to terrorist organizations. In 2014, officials found that Mateen had ties to an American suicide bomber, Hopper said.
Law enforcement officials said that shortly before the shooting, Mateen swore allegiance to the leader of ISIS in a 911 phone call, in which he mentioned Boston Marathon bombers Dzhokhar Tsarnaev and Tamerlan Tsarnaev.
Sitora Yusuify, Mateen&#8217;s ex-wife, spoke with the FBI about her ex-husband Sunday night. During an interview in Denver, she described Mateen as violent and &#8220;very short-tempered.&#8221;
Yusufiy said Mateen wanted to be a police officer when they were married.
WATCH: Shooter's father apologizes for son's actions.
Omar-Mateen-JPG.jpg

VIDEO: Gunfire exchange between SWAT, shooter
Sen. Bill Nelson said Islamic State News has claimed responsibility for the shooting. Law enforcement officials have not confirmed that information.
President Barack Obama called the shooting an "act of terror" and an "act of hate." "Today marks the most deadly shooting in American history." Obama said.
WATCH: Authorities provide update on mass shooting
The president called for flags to be flown at half-staff at the White House and federal buildings until sunset Thursday.
Obama said Mayor Buddy Dyer and the people of Orlando will receive whatever help they need.
Dyer called Sunday &#8220;the most difficult day in Orlando history.&#8221;
WATCH: Stewart Moore recalls the hours after Orlando nightclub shooting
Gov. Rick Scott declared a state of emergency in Orlando. He called the shooting "heartwrenching" and praised the efforts of first responders. Scott called for a moment of silence Sunday at 6 p.m. EDT.
WATCH: Gov. Rick Scott discusses Orlando shooting
The Vatican said Pope Francis is expressing the "deepest feelings of horror and condemnation" over the mass shooting.
Vatican spokesman the Rev. Federico Lombardi said the pontiff denounces the "homicidal folly and senseless hatred." He added that Francis joins the families and injured in the Sunday massacre in &#8220;prayer and compassion.&#8221;
WATCH: President Obama addresses Orlando attack
Anyone who believes they have a friend or family member that was inside Pulse during the shooting is asked to go to the Family Assistance Center, which will be located at the Beardall Center on Delaney Avenue Monday. Family and frieds can also call 407-246-4357.
As of 5:15 p.m. Sunday, six of the victims have been identified by the city of Orlando. Authorities will continue releasing the names of other victims online as their next of kin is identified.
READ: Victims names being released
The owner of Pulse said in a statement Sunday that she was "devastated."
"Pulse, and the men and women who work there, have been my family for nearly 15 years," said Barbara Poma. "From the beginning, Pulse has served as a place of love and acceptance for the LGBTQ community. I want to express my profound sadness and condolences to all who have lost loved ones. Please know that my grief and heart are with you."
VIDEO: Witness describes shooting at Pulse nightclub
WESH 2 News has crews at the scene gathering more details. Check back for updates.
<twitterwidget class="twitter-tweet twitter-tweet-rendered" id="twitter-widget-4" data-tweet-id="742135496369917952" style="position: static; visibility: visible; display: block; transform: rotate(0deg); max-width: 100%; width: 500px; min-width: 220px; margin-top: 10px; margin-bottom: 10px;"><article class="MediaCard MediaCard--mediaForward customisable-border" data-scribe="component:card" dir="ltr">
</article>
</twitterwidget>

Poor people:-(

I wonder when US is going to tighten up their gun laws?
I read it that this person behind of these killings was on FBI terrorist watch list, but yet he was able to buy that kind of machine gun - insane!

Poor people:-(

I wonder when US is going to tighten up their gun laws?
I read it that this person behind of these killings was on FBI terrorist watch list, but yet he was able to buy that kind of machine gun - insane!
`

When are we going to tighten our gun laws? When the National Rifle Association lobbyists stop paying our politicians to look the other way. Not likely.

Apparently the guy was investigated twice by the FBI, and then they dropped the investigation.

My daughter is a pro DJ in a very similar, but much larger club. These are dark and frightening times.

I'm still trying to 'wrap my head' around this, it's so very horrible. I keep thinking of the victims and their families and how my hometown has known such tragedy. We need to change our gun control laws. :(

#orlandostrong #prayfororlando

`

When are we going to tighten our gun laws? When the National Rifle Association lobbyists stop paying our politicians to look the other way. Not likely.

Apparently the guy was investigated twice by the FBI, and then they dropped the investigation.

My daughter is a pro DJ in a very similar, but much larger club. These are dark and frightening times.

A lot of middle easterns are investigated by the FBI, that does not say much.. This guy was not right in the head!!

this s*** is crazy!

The liberals are going crazy on how to spin this one, they were hoping it was a neo nazi to fit their evil racist narrative (Sky news had to change their story) but it turned out to be a immigrant who really disliked gays. If this guy was white the fact of his race would be plastered all over the headlines like Dylan roof but in this case theyre doing everything to distance the connection to his ethnicity/immigration and turn it into a gun issue. The Hildebeast is in trouble here & Trump probably got himself a few million extra votes.

I can't believe that guy is did all that due to his homophobia which is barbaric, he and and his son was at the wrong place at the wrong time. Killing these people at a gay club is the answer? Well he's really screwed up big time. The US really do need to change gun control after too much gun violence and it's got to stop.

Major prayers goes out to Orlando and to the LBGC.

The liberals are going crazy on how to spin this one, they were hoping it was a neo nazi to fit their evil racist narrative (Sky news had to change their story) but it turned out to be a immigrant who really disliked gays. If this guy was white the fact of his race would be plastered all over the headlines like Dylan roof but in this case theyre doing everything to distance the connection to his ethnicity/immigration and turn it into a gun issue. The Hildebeast is in trouble here & Trump probably got himself a few million extra votes.

Doves%20cry%20post_zpsbz0rhab1.jpg

Oh%20no%20no%20no_zpsqhotxmk7.gif

Fact check. He was not an immigrant, but born in New York. He had been frequently seen in the club, i.e. was probably gay, but conflicted. He was homophobic and had made many statements to that effect. According to his ex-wife, he was very mentally unstable. He was armed with an assault rifle and a hand-gun that he bought only a few days before. His assault rifle fired three hundred rounds in just a few minutes. That is a military weapon, whose only purpose is killing people. He was not in the military. There were two armed Security guards and a fire-fight, but they were unable to take him down. That's what happened.

How have you reached this conclusion?

FYI, the fact that he was Middle Eastern is currently abused by extremist politicians in my country. But how many politicians do have an anti-white agenda? How many people link white terrorists to their religions, unless it's Islam?

Fact check. He was not an immigrant, but born in New York. He had been frequently seen in the club, i.e. was probably gay, but conflicted. He was homophobic and had made many statements to that effect. According to his ex-wife, he was very mentally unstable. He was armed with an assault rifle and a hand-gun that he bought only a few days before. His assault rifle fired three hundred rounds in just a few minutes. That is a military weapon, whose only purpose is killing people. He was not in the military. There were two armed Security guards and a fire-fight, but they were unable to take him down. That's what happened.

Maybe it is time to modify 2nd amendment and not allow people purchase that kind of weapons at all.
Article about how these rifles were used in so many other mass shootings in US
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...g-is-becoming-mass-shooters-weapon-of-choice/

Last edited:
The state of America: Post a good picture of yourself on Facebook because it could be your last

Maybe you&#8217;re going to a graduation ceremony later this week, or a wedding over the weekend.

Perhaps your only plan is to have no plan at all and to just chill in your backyard while flipping burgers.

No matter what you do, there&#8217;s a very good chance you&#8217;ll have your picture taken at some point, either by someone else or by yourself.

So look good, people, because it could be the first and the last impression you make on the world.

With the number of fatal mass shootings happening in the U.S. these days it gets more and more likely that the next picture taken of you could be the one the world gets to know you by. It could be that selfie you took last Friday night while out to dinner with friends, the one where you held your glass up next to your face, arched your brows and stuck your tongue out. Actually, erase that one &#8212; your family would be embarrassed.

Maybe it&#8217;ll be the one you took Sunday morning through your rearview mirror just before you walked into church, the one that actually turned out so good you just had to post it.

Or it could be the shot your husband took of you and the boys just after their ballgame ended, with your arms around each of them. That would be a good one because news organizations could easily blur their faces but everyone would still know they were your kids and see how proud you were.

Really, how much thought do you put into what you look like in these pictures and whether or not that is the first and last impression you want to make on the world? You should take it seriously because there is a real chance your picture will be in the paper or on a website someday soon.

In the news business these shots are often called &#8220;handouts.&#8221; They&#8217;re the photos victims&#8217; families &#8220;hand out&#8221; to news organizations after their loved one is involved in some sort of tragedy, which these days in America usually means a mass shooting.

More often nowadays, news people can use social media to find photos of shooting victims. Almost everyone has a Facebook page or is signed up on Twitter or, even better, Instagram.

So while most people in this country spend their time arguing about what the government can do to stop these heinous shootings from happening, you should really focus on something you can control: How you want to look when the world sees you for the first and last time.

Not all of us are as lucky as John F. Kennedy, who had literally thousands of high-quality photographs taken of him in the years before he was gunned down in Dallas in 1963. John Lennon, too. His family had some terrific images to choose from after he was shot to death, including the one of him and wife Yoko Ono lying in bed together, naked but not fully exposed.

But imagine if you are killed tomorrow by a crazed gunman &#8212; and it could happen &#8212; do you have enough respectable shots of yourself posted on social media? Or does your family at least have access to your personal files, and do they know the password to your cloud so they can pick one out for you?

Now I know none of you want to think about this next part &#8212; I really don&#8217;t either. But more important than finding the right picture of yourself is making sure you have one of your child ready, just in case. Is their hair brushed? Does their shirt have any stains on it? Are they making a silly face, and if so, is that how you want the world to remember them?

I still recall 17 years ago, in the days after the Columbine High School shooting, sitting over a newspaper and staring at headshots of the 13 victims. I couldn&#8217;t help but notice how pretty one of them was, and how if she had known what was going to happen to her how much thought she would have put into making sure that was the image she wanted me to remember her by.

I can&#8217;t forget her now (I wouldn&#8217;t anyway) because the same class photo of Rachel Scott hangs in the hallway of my daughter&#8217;s school. And there is a huge banner with Rachel&#8217;s picture on it draped in the hallway of the high school my daughter will attend next fall.

It&#8217;s a great picture of Rachel, actually. She&#8217;s smiling and her hair looks great. It&#8217;s an image that projects just how happy she was, and I really think she&#8217;d have been thrilled knowing that was the first, and last, impression the world had of her.

So ask yourself today: Do you have a picture ready of yourself, or your child, that will leave the same kind of impression on the world?

You should. Just in case.

http://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/state-america-photo-post-article-1.2671853

Pray for for Orlando!? To a god who has done ABSOLUTELY NOTHING, NOTHING to stop such horrible tragedy among all the injustice in the world!

I think the world would be a better place.

Imagine there's no heaven, it's easy if you try
No hell below us, above us ONLY SKY.

12241586_915953788492885_1995291949827327140_n.jpg

He had been frequently seen in the club, i.e. was probably gay, but conflicted.

Could be but it's also possible that he was checking the place out to see where the emergency exits and crowded spots etc. were in order to inflict maximum damage.

He was homophobic and had made many statements to that effect. According to his ex-wife, he was very mentally unstable. He was armed with an assault rifle and a hand-gun that he bought only a few days before. His assault rifle fired three hundred rounds in just a few minutes. That is a military weapon, whose only purpose is killing people. He was not in the military.

That's freedom. Just be glad you're not living in one of those oppressive countries where a mentally unstable terror suspect with a history of domestic abuse can't even buy himself an AR-15 legally.

There were two armed Security guards and a fire-fight, but they were unable to take him down. That's what happened.

The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun...

You are missing one important detail though. The attacker called 911 and pledged allegiance to ISIS and his father has defended the Taliban in the past. You can't just brush over the fundamentalist religious aspect here. Yes, the guy was virulently homophobic but why is that so?

If there is anything 'good' to come out of this, I hope we can finally have a real dialogue about the homophobia that exists within Muslim communities in the West because the statistics on this are quite worrisome. Most of all, Muslims need to have this dialogue with themselves so that a more tolerant interpretation of Islam may hopefully prevail. One Muslim reformer I have great respect for is Maajid Nawaz. The article he wrote today: http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/06/14/admit-it-these-terrorists-are-muslims.html could be a start.

Last edited:
I don't know if this was the terrorist action of a radical religion or a hate crime, but I don't see any difference. The Christian right here had it out for LGBT people too. Our own TX Lt. Gov. Tweeted "you reap what you sow" in response to the attacks. What the hell? At the same time, our city hall was bathed in rainbow lights.

I can't be the only American who thinks gun control action has to be taken now. I can't be the only one who was shocked and appalled to find that the ban on assault weapons had a 10 year expiration date and silently expired during Bush's presidency. We waited a long time to finally get the Brady Bill signed and things just get worse.

I don't know if this was the terrorist action of a radical religion or a hate crime, but I don't see any difference.

There does not have to be a difference. A fundamentalist interpretation of religion can lead to hate crimes like this, especially when it goes unchallenged.

The Christian right here had it out for LGBT people too. Our own TX Lt. Gov. Tweeted "you reap what you sow" in response to the attacks. What the hell? At the same time, our city hall was bathed in rainbow lights.

That's true but at least with Christianity, there is a dialogue within the Christian community about LGBT rights and outsiders are not afraid to call out Christian bigotry whenever they see it. Liberals and progressives are not cowed into silence by a made-up term like "Christianophobia"* when they criticise problematic parts of the doctrine. I wish the same was true for Islam but it looks like we have surrendered the debate to the far-right.

*There is a difference between "Islamophobia" (criticism of Islam as an ideology) and anti-Muslim bigotry (criticism of Muslims as people). Some people deliberately try to conflate the two in order to shut up any critical inspection of Islam before it starts. But I don't want to get too deep into the religion discussion here, we have more appropriate threads for that :)

I don't know if this was the terrorist action of a radical religion or a hate crime, but I don't see any difference. The Christian right here had it out for LGBT people too. Our own TX Lt. Gov. Tweeted "you reap what you sow" in response to the attacks. What the hell? At the same time, our city hall was bathed in rainbow lights.

I can't be the only American who thinks gun control action has to be taken now. I can't be the only one who was shocked and appalled to find that the ban on assault weapons had a 10 year expiration date and silently expired during Bush's presidency. We waited a long time to finally get the Brady Bill signed and things just get worse.

Gun control action is long overdue. There comes a point when there are too many "moments of silence," when we should not be silent at all about these massacres. I was at Virginia Tech during the massacre. You'd think that after that -- strong action would be taken, but no, then there was Sandyhook, and Aurora, and Lafayette, Louisiana, and more, and more. At the time the Second Amendment was written, people might have muskets, that took awhile to load. The writers of the Second Amendment couldn't possibly have previewed a weapon that could fire three hundred bullets in just minutes. The AR-15 is a military weapon with only one purpose -- killing a lot of people. There is no reason for private citizens to have such a weapon. In the U.S. we have by far the biggest number of fatalities by gun. Australia enacted strict gun regulations in the mid-nineties, and hasn't had a mass-shooting since. If Orlando isn't a wake-up call, I have no idea what would be.

That's true but at least with Christianity, there is a dialogue within the Christian community about LGBT rights and outsiders are not afraid to call out Christian bigotry whenever they see it. Liberals and progressives are not cowed into silence by a made-up term like "Christianophobia"* when they criticise problematic parts of the doctrine. I wish the same was true for Islam but it looks like we have surrendered the debate to the far-right.

*There is a difference between "Islamophobia" (criticism of Islam as an ideology) and anti-Muslim bigotry (criticism of Muslims as people). Some people deliberately try to conflate the two in order to shut up any critical inspection of Islam before it starts. But I don't want to get too deep into the religion discussion here, we have more appropriate threads for that :)

I wholeheartedly agree.

Although this case seems to be a mixture of more factors than just religious fundamentalism. On the one hand, there seems to be evidence that the perpetrator at least sympathized with certain fundamentalist religious views, on the other hand there also seems to be a personal element: possibly unwanted homosexual feelings that made him conflicted inside and made him envious and furious at gay people who could openly live their lives. This is not to play down the religious element, of course, because that too seems to be there - actually the two are interconnected IMO, since religious fundamentalism is very homophobic (at least in case of the Abrahamic religions).

Last edited:
Elite Globalist are letting the terrorist attacks on purpose.
This is part of their whole conflict-resolution plan. They cause the conflict and the resolution is 'gun' control.
They want to take away your guns, so you have no means of defending yourself against martial law or other evil planned events.
People need to unite in their communities.

This was a hate crime, possibly self hate crime from the news has been blasting out recently.. This was an unstable person that caused this, not a practicing Islamic person...

This was a hate crime, possibly self hate crime from the news has been blasting out recently.. This was an unstable person that caused this, not a practicing Islamic person...

Religion is a part of it. People have also criticized fundamentalist Christianity in this thread, even though this crime wasn't committed by a Christian. But when people turn a blind eye on the religious aspect, whether it is Christian, Muslim or anything else, then they are never going to be able to honestly face certain issues and problems. Religious fundamentalism (both Christian and Muslim) DOES contribute to homophobia. No need to pay down that aspect.

Just because the guy didn't have a long scraggly beard and his wife wasn't covered up from head to toe doesn't mean he wasn't a religious fundamentalist. All it means is that he picks and chooses which parts of the religion he is "fundamentalist" about - a bit like a thrice divorced country clerk who refuses to give out marriage licenses to gay couples because it violates the sanctity of marriage.

I do believe that violent Islamists and those who support them are more attracted to the idea of Muslim supremacy than to the religion itself. They believe they are morally and ethically superior to non-Muslims regardless of their actions. That's why I wasn't surprised to learn that the attackers in Paris and Brussels had a long rap sheet. Islamists can rape and pillage and murder while still feeling superior to "immoral" Westerners. Many of them have only a rudimentary knowledge of Islam so they are easily influenced by hate-preaching imams who, to be fair, don't need to go out of their way to find inspiration in the Quran.

The Qur'an have hateful verses towards gays, in some Islamic countries they're hanged and ISIS who follow Muhammad by the letter execute them. If it's true Omar was a closetted gay, he was indoctrinated to hate what he was.

You'd think any civilized, empathetic human being from any creed would condemn such attrocious act but I've read Muslims, Mexican Catholics (talking about my country) celebrating the massacre, "the disgusting gays deserved it."

This comment was absolutely sickenning and disgusting:

In the conservative state of Jalisco, a midlevel government official posted on Facebook that "It's a shame there were only 50 and not 100." Jalisco Gov. Aristoteles Sandoval said he had ordered that the employee be fired and promised that "expressions of discrimination will not be tolerated under any circumstances."

http://wpde.com/news/nation-world/a...tion-at-orlando-massacre-06-13-2016-221544440

If you don't believe me, here's is the original post and that homophobic asshole had the nerve to "apologize" if he offended people but disagreeing with the "gay ideology."

1465835050_231270_1465835254_sumario_normal.jpg

As an Arab, the Middle East&#8217;s reaction to Orlando left me speechless&#8230;

By Mohammed Rady

Recently, a devastating terrorist attack took place in Orlando, where 49 innocent people were murdered. Surely, the majority of people in the Arab world condemn this atrocious act of violence? The most fatal shooting in recent American history cannot possibly be celebrated by such a large number of peace-loving people who, after all, mostly condemn the acts of terror committed in the name of Islam by groups like ISIS and Al-Qaeda, right? Right?
Wrong.
As a bilingual Arabic and English speaker from the Middle East, I took the liberty of browsing through Arabic news pages on Facebook earlier today; namely Al Jazeera, Al-Arabiya, BBC Arabic and a number of Egyptian news outlets to gauge how the Arab world was responding to the Orlando shooting. The results were disappointing, alarming, and depressing to say the least. Each page&#8217;s comment section was inundated with posts showing sympathy towards the attacker, praising him for his actions and wishing death upon members of the international LGBT community. Comments ranged from jokes about the incident and how &#8220;the gays had it coming,&#8221; to long du&#8217;as (religious supplications), wishing death upon gays and lesbians, as well as asking God to grant the killer &#8220;the highest place in paradise.&#8221; I considered collecting screenshots of these comments to raise awareness about the amount of hatred towards the gay community in the Middle East, but it soon dawned on me that such a task would be impossible.
There were simply too many hateful comments, with thousands celebrating the attack, from Tunisia to Egypt, Iraq and Saudi Arabia. It was only through deep digging that a single person who expressed so much as a shred of sympathy to the victims and their families, or even condemned the blatant massacre that took place could be found. If you don&#8217;t speak Arabic, visit Al Jazeera&#8217;s Facebook page and scroll down until you see a post about the Orlando attack and note what the top three &#8220;reactions&#8221; (newly added Facebook feature) are.
Shocked? So am I. It is truly saddening and disturbing to see that such a large number of social media users in the Arab world who voice their opinions on the internet openly and unapologetically condone the killing of innocents because of their sexual orientation. Conversely, you may argue that as a majority of Al Jazeera viewers and readers are Islamist sympathizers, it is no surprise that they would be homophobic, and you would be right. But bear in mind that this also applies to outlets such as the BBC and Al Arabiya, whose followers you may assume are anti-Islamist because of their condemnation of ISIS. Egyptian news outlets generally have a large pro-Sisi following, and one might be led to think that their anti-brotherhood and anti-Islamism stance means that they condemn acts of terror against members of the LGBT community. Clearly, this is not the case.
The implications of this are far worse and much more far-reaching than one might initially consider. It has now become commonplace in the Arab world to wish death upon minorities and celebrate their murders. Gays, Christians, Jews, atheists, apostates, heterodox Muslims, liberal Muslims, and secularists are seen as subhuman. Celebrating their deaths is now a norm. At worst, attacks such as the Orlando shooting are met with praise, and at best silence.
Members of the left who claim such terrorism has nothing to do with Islam need to become aware of the issue at hand that is Islamism, and understand the ramifications of evading discussions on it. The Arab world&#8217;s moral collapse is the result of decades of fundamentalist Wahhabi indoctrination across the Muslim world which has culminated in the recent rise of Islamic terrorism. Reform must come from within Muslim communities &#8211; I can&#8217;t stress this enough. An open and frank discussion on the current understanding and interpretation of Islam is much needed. Yes, it&#8217;s great to see Muslims in the west condemning the attack and voicing solidarity with the victims and their families, but there still remains a long way to go. The Muslim world, particularly the Middle East and North Africa, has become rife with followers of either Arab nationalist anti-west ideologies, or Islamism and Wahhabism, both of which are cesspools for hate.
When the standard response from a lot of liberals is &#8220;Christians can be homophobic too&#8221; and &#8220;this has nothing to do with Islam&#8221; right after a terrorist attack where 49 people were killed because of religious fundamentalism, then a frank discussion is desperately needed. No favors are done by denying the presence of homophobia in Muslim communities and repeating far right Islamist rhetoric and propaganda. This only worsens an already bad situation, and the profundity of the consequences this attitude engenders towards Islamic fundamentalism must be recognized. Ignoring Islamic fundamentalism only makes the far right stronger, and its rise will be immediately followed by the persecution of the minorities whose rights the left purports to protect. This makes it harder not only for the LGBT community in the Middle East, but also other minorities and liberal and secular Muslims who fight for change on a daily basis in the Arab world.

http://www.arabhumanists.org/arab-reaction-orlando-depressing/

Last edited:
Just because the guy didn't have a long scraggly beard and his wife wasn't covered up from head to toe doesn't mean he wasn't a religious fundamentalist. All it means is that he picks and chooses which parts of the religion he is "fundamentalist" about - a bit like a thrice divorced country clerk who refuses to give out marriage licenses to gay couples because it violates the sanctity of marriage.

I do believe that violent Islamists and those who support them are more attracted to the idea of Muslim supremacy than to the religion itself. They believe they are morally and ethically superior to non-Muslims regardless of their actions. That's why I wasn't surprised to learn that the attackers in Paris and Brussels had a long rap sheet. Islamists can rape and pillage and murder while still feeling superior to "immoral" Westerners. Many of them have only a rudimentary knowledge of Islam so they are easily influenced by hate-preaching imams who, to be fair, don't need to go out of their way to find inspiration in the Quran.

I say he was not a practicing muslim because of what has come out about his life already.. A Practicing Muslim does not drink, and live the life style he did.. any religious extremist groups, have it to be ISIS or KKK they heavily fallow what they BELIEVE the religion is about..

It has been also coming out that he (the shooter) could have led a secret gay lifestyle, even his ex wife stating that he had "gay tendencies"... Gay bar attendies stating he would go to gay clubs and complain about his father... ie. why I say this screams a SELF HATE crime..

and Linda I don't think you are really in position to teach me what a muslim is, look like, or make a comment like I am do not get what a terrorist may not look like.. My name is Rasheed! No not muslim, but from an Islamic culture and lived in an Islamic country..

Last edited:
Back