Shutting Down MJJC Radio (per Estate's request)

PurdyYungThang84

Guests
To all members of MJJCommunity:

The Estate of Michael Jackson has reached out to our staff and expressed their concern about the music played in MJJC Radio and Chat. It is their wish that MJJCommunity discontinue our broadcasting of Michael's music on MJJC Radio and Chat.

This decision has saddened us greatly, and it was not our wish to have to discontinue the MJJC Radio and Chat services. But upholding copyright law falls under the umbrella of protecting and preserving Michael's intellectual and creative property. This is something that MJJCommunity, in our own way, continue to fine-tune and work for in hopes of the same end-goal: Preserving the legacy of Michael Jackson.

We whole-heartedly understand and regret any confusion that the cessation of these services may have caused any of our members. Please don't hesitate to reach out to MJJC Staff if you have any questions; we will do our best to answer your questions appropriately.

With thanks,

Team MJJC

Re: Shutting Down MJJC Radio and Chat (per Estate's request)

"2000 Watts" section is next?
And did you ask them in return, how soon are they planning to indulge us with "new" Michael Jackson releases?

What why now? They must have known about it before? :/

The Estate wanted it terminated.:(

Why now and not earlier? Surely they must have been aware of the radio...?

We don't know what or who brought the Estate's attention to it. But as we all see, they didn't approve of what they saw... :/

:rantingWhat the hell!? That is BULL$#!^!!!:ranting

I say the following, not as a mod but as a fan...

Personally I'm neither pro or anti Estate. It's a needed entity that ensures that what needs to get done, as far as Michael's business affairs go, gets done. They also act as a gatekeeper to ensure that Michael's work, image, name, etc. aren't used in damaging ways, and that when those things are used in approved ways, that Michael receives proper credit.

I don't always like the Estate's methods, but I try to keep in mind that their intentions are (hopefully) good. Not necessarily good for us, but for Michael's kids and pertinent family members.

The Estate owns the rights to Michael's music and that's all there is to it. They have the final say on how that music is used and accessed by others.

It's a bummer. Do I wish they'd do more and give us access to more? ABSOLUTELY. But that's not my call. It sucks, but it is what it is.....

Personally I'm neither pro or anti Estate. It's a needed entity that ensures that what needs to get done, as far as Michael's business affairs go, gets done. They also act as a gatekeeper to ensure that Michael's work, image, name, etc. aren't used in damaging ways, and that when those things are used in approved ways, that Michael receives proper credit.

I don't always like the Estate's methods, but I try to keep in mind that their intentions are (hopefully) good. Not necessarily good for us, but for Michael's kids and pertinent family members.

The Estate owns the rights to Michael's music and that's all there is to it. They have the final say on how that music is used and accessed by others.

It's a bummer. Do I wish they'd do more and give us access to more? ABSOLUTELY. But that's not my call. It sucks, but it is what it is.....

The estate also has to be careful to not bite the hands that feed it.
If it were not for us fans spending our money on merchandise, re-releases, new projects, etc then where would the estate be?

Last edited:

If it were not for us fans spending our money on merchandise, re-releases, new projects, etc then where would the estate be?

The estate is MICHAEL. Just because he's dead doesn't change that fact. He protected his music and his image when he was alive, now the men he designated in his will to handle it are. I don't have a problem with the decision.

Awe tthis is not good.

I totally agree. That's a balance that they have to be willing to find. Time will tell I guess...

GAZ NO THE ESTATE HAVE GONE TOO FAR NOW!!!

THIS IS YOUR SITE NOT THEIR'S!!!

Now I'm pissed off

What's next gaz???? The whole forum???

The estate have NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS SITE!!!

The estate is MICHAEL. Just because he's dead doesn't change that fact. He protected his music and his image when he was alive, now the men he designated in his will to handle it are.

True, but I personally just can't see the estate the same way I saw Michael himself because it isn't Michael. :no:

But going by that logic you could ask the question would michael be telling mjjc to close down the station etc. What mjjc is doing is not hurting mjs legacy.they arent abusing or making money off him by playing music in an a unortharised way so whys theres such an issue.

Its just ironic that they act over this yet have no intrest in defending mj over the media trying to destroy mj. It would be funny if it wasnt so sad.

^ Exactly!!!! It makes me furious!

It seems like they trying to tear us mj fans apart from each other ?

I am second to that. As a fan and not as a mod. I get what they're saying about the radio and I'm not upset about the request. However, I think it's sad that on the same week the Radar and others in the media viciously tried to destroy MJ's legacy it's the fansites that are being asked to remove stuff. :(

While legally they have every right to do so I think this is unnecessarily overzealous on their part. I don't think fan radios like that hurt MJ's sales or image or legacy in any way - probably more to the contrary.

And I have to say the zeal regarding this is pretty ironic when they are just not willing to do anythingat all against things that REALLY hurt MJ's legacy and sales - eg. when they are so freaking passive about the type of attacks that MJ suffered this past week by the hand of the tabloids.

I am sorry but I am losing more and more faith in the Estate. Their priorities are just not right IMO.

I doubt Michael would have acted against his fans in this way. The music wasn't being played for profit here, nor was it used in a way that would cheapen his work or tarnish Michael's image (as a use in commercials would do, for instance). They simply want to make sure they can milk the estate for every last drop. This kind of reminds me of the whole Victory tour ticketing scheme back in the 80s. Not cool. I have also noticed that the quality, variety and availability of MJ-themed fan merchandise has reduced dramatically since Michael's passing. There was a lot more high quality fan-attire, posters etc. around when he was alive. If they cared about Michael's legacy so much they should sue those tabloids printing trash of the kind they did recently for defamation. Because that really does harm his legacy greatly, and it bloody sucks and shouldn't be allowed to happen. Can you imagine them doing that kind of thing to Madonna? They would get the hell suued out of them.

GAZ NO THE ESTATE HAVE GONE TOO FAR NOW!!!

THIS IS YOUR SITE NOT THEIR'S!!!

Now I'm pissed off

What's next gaz???? The whole forum???

It's about copyright.

While legally they have every right to do so I think this is unnecessarily overzealous on their part. I don't think fan radios like that hurt MJ's sales or image or legacy in any way - probably more to the contrary.

And I have to say the zeal regarding this is pretty ironic when they are just not willing to do anythingat all against things that REALLY hurt MJ's legacy and sales - eg. when they are so freaking passive about the type of attacks that MJ suffered this past week by the hand of the tabloids.

I am sorry but I am losing more and more faith in the Estate. Their priorities are just not right IMO.

Couldn't have said it better myself!

Unacceptable behaviour, instead of shutting down the tabloids they turn against the corner stone of tour community. This won't be good for them if they push us to the limit ! Michael would NEVER EVER do such a thing !

I'd like to ask why take one but not another, Michael's name and image are just as copy written as his music is, we use those to honour and continue his legacy in a positive and non commercial manner much like we did the radio - so whats next we can't use his name or image??

Galactus123;4154423 said:
It's about copyright.

That´s what I think, too. In Germany, we have very strict copyright rules / rules for playing officially released music. The ...

"GEMA (Gesellschaft für musikalische Aufführungs- und mechanische Vervielfältigungsrechte; English: Society for musical performing and mechanical reproduction rights) is a state-authorized collecting society and performance rights organization based in Germany [...] GEMA represents the usage rights stemming from authors' rights (e.g., mechanical licensing, broadcast licensing, synchronization licensing) for the musical works of those composers, lyricists, and publishers who are members in the organization.
[...]
Licensing fees must be paid to GEMA for the public performance of protected musical works belonging to GEMA's so-called “world inventory” (German: Weltrepertoire); these are then paid out to its members according to a complex distribution scheme."

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GEMA_(German_organization)#GEMA_Fees_and_Private_Copying_Levy

So if you organize an official college party, e. g., you have to pay fees for all the songs/music held by the GEMA.
I´m not really surprised the Estate, who is in control of Michael´s music, short films, etc., takes down even fan related offerings. But it is sad nonetheless ...

It's about copyright.

Copyright in what way:
?????

So basically that would mean nightclubs and radio stations can't play mjs music either then cuz of "copyright"...pffttt yeh right that's laughable!

I'd like to ask why take one but not another, Michael's name and image are just as copy written as his music is, we use those to honour and continue his legacy in a positive and non commercial manner much like we did the radio - so whats next we can't use his name or image??

Yo gaz you should tell them to STFU!!

And do what they are meant to do and stay out where they not meant to be

Smh

Back