What did Michael smell like/what perfume or cologne did he wear?

Ms. BlueGangsta

Proud Member
I've been wanting to ask this for a long time, but I didn't want you all to think I'm weird.
But today I finally got the courage to ask.
So, what did Michael smell like?
I bet he smelled amazing! :D

I've been wanting to ask this for a long time, but I didn't want you all to think I'm weird.
I remember reading stories about Bal A Versailles and Tom Ford's Black Orchid. People have mentioned a few others-I heard about these after his death. I know he said women's perfumes smelled better.

Thanks for the info! :)
Oh, I almost forgot Lisa Robinson's story about Jungle Gardenia-she was wearing it (around Victory Tour time) and he recognized it immediately-so she gave him some-and the next time she saw him backstage he was wearing it.

I actually love Jungle Gardenia-gardenias period. It was one of Elizabeth Taylor's favorite perfumes, so maybe he quit wearing it when they became friends. :)

I remember reading stories about Bal A Versailles and Tom Ford's Black Orchid. People have mentioned a few others-I heard about these after his death. I know he said women's perfumes smelled better.

As far as I know BAV and Black Orchid were his "signatuture" perfumes.

I read on another forum that Michael even used to pour some Black Orchid into the rinsing water of the washing machine.

Is it just me who thinks it'd be nicer to meet him after a show when he's all sweaty? :p

Jeez, all the imagery swirling thru in my head right now ...:innocent:

... like:

tumblr_m9epugXfKk1qf36afo1_500.gif

/THUDD

^^Sorry, but that's just perfect.

And look at those eyes.
And that mouth.
Oh, gosh.

IKR? Sweaty Duck Pout, ... and his eyes are like "Wait until we get backstage, gurrrl!"

Me = :dropdead::stretcher:eek:ncrutches

nothing weird about that. I'm sure a lot of fans has been curious about this. I certainly have, and still am at times...
I remember in the 90's, there were a lot of talk among my friends that he liked the Opium perfume. idk where it came from, it was just a lot of talk about it

Sorry to bump this thread but maybe you can help me.. I know Michael used Black Orchid as a scent but do you know whether he used the male or the female one?

And what about Opium, was it the female scent?

Thanks a lot for your help!!

I am in no way saying this to make Michael sound extra Magical!

BUT.. When I and my wife (than girlfriend) shook his hand in 2009.. my hand smelled nice for the rest of the day!! As silly as it sounds, but that scent that his backup dancers mentioned on the special features in This Is It is REAL..

the scent was not so much "cologne" type sent.. but almost a powder scent, if I can try to explain the difference that way.. it had a.. ahh it's hard to explain, a Vanilla, cinnamon-esk type sent.. !?!?

I promise you, my wife and I smelled our hands all through the day "I don't want to wash my hands ever again." even while eating dinner (while Michael was rehearsing) and before I knew I could actually HEAR him if I was close enough.. I was like "oh no, we're eating." checked my hand to see if the food masked the MJ scent, and it was STILL there.

I have never shook someones hands and make ME smell better! haha.. I thought to myself, that's how I want to be with others, leave that lingering to subconsciously remind people of me all day.

Calvin Klein's Obsession was another scent that he had worn. I remember hearing this from another MJ fan. Who was told this by someone that once knew him. Which made me happy since that was one of my favorite scents to wear as well.

This was always said about him. I remember Ms. Garrett said the same about him when she was recording " I just cant stop lovin you".

maja;4214436 said:
Sorry to bump this thread but maybe you can help me.. I know Michael used Black Orchid as a scent but do you know whether he used the male or the female one?

And what about Opium, was it the female scent?

Thanks a lot for your help!!

He used the female one. Don´t think there is one for men.
It should be the black bottle with the golden plate.

I loved Timor Steffen's Story shortly after Mike passed...listen till the end...talking about his perfume

Nothing weird about it, it was one of the regular topics of conversations when on Michael trips and outside hotels. Whenever fans met Michael his scent would linger on their clothes/ coat/ hands for about an hour afterwards. It was one of the ways we used to check whether fans were telling the truth about meeting him.

the info about Black Orchid and Bal de Versailles came from Karen Faye after Michael died. You can judge for yourself whether the info is reliable. Michael wore many different scents though. Me personally I dont recognise either Black Orchid or Bal de Versaillies as what Michael smelled like when I met him.

There was a bottle of black orchid in his bedroom/bathroom in carolwood in the police photos.

I think he used to empty a whole bottle over himself! as his hands used to smell of whatever he was wearing aswell. The 06 smell was lovely. The odd scene of fans sniffing each others hands outside hotels and restaurants LOL those were the days

Virre;4214457 said:
He used the female one. Don´t think there is one for men.
It should be the black bottle with the golden plate.

Thanks SO MUCH!! It arrived some days ago and it smells heavenly!! :love:

They told me in the shop when i got some that it was originally for women but alot of men bought it so they made it unisex.smells like more of a mens one to me

someone told me sometimes he would favour Orange Spice by Creed, in the late 80's and 90's :D .

But For me, in the much later years , he smelt similar to one of the fragrance lines by philosophy skincare. Going to guess either Pure Grace / amazing Grace /Falling in Love.

I purchased BAV and it has a peculiar smell. It kinda reminds me of my grandmas house. It has a very heavy talc scent.

There is a video of him spraying something in the car, it's the funny clip where he sprays it on his crotch area. I think it's from the 00's. Does anybody know what that was? I can't identify the bottle x

https://youtu.be/-ZOa2BCUeF0

There certainly was a bottle of Black Orchid in his bathroom. I remember posting the photo back then, but I can't seem to find it again.

I'm happy to read that he also wore Obsession by CK. It's a perfume true to it's name. I would add magnificent to its title :)

Back