2016 Summer Olympics- Rio Thread

PoP

Proud Member
Country
Canada
The opening ceremonies were already held and seeing many athletes coming in.

The medal count will be up sometime tomorrow.

Here's the opening ceremony montage and the Team Canada entrance by CBC Sports

[YOUTUBE]TnzLkjYzmJU[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]P2qyWjvNujs[/YOUTUBE]

canada-flag-animated-gif-10.gif

Canada-07-june.gif
[SIZE=+5]GO CANADA!!![/SIZE]
Canada-07-june.gif

canada-flag-animated-gif-10.gif

Let's hope for a great Olympics. I am of course rooting for my countrymen and -women mainly (Hungary). Hungary usually does well in Summer Olympics, although not always at Olympics that are overseas. We have some hopes in swimming, canoeing, fencing - those are our most successful sports typically.

I am really rooting for Laszlo Cseh (swimmer) to win at least one Gold. He is such a great sportsman, it's his fourth Olympics, has a lot of silver medals already, but because he was born in the same era as Michael Phelps he missed out on a Gold so far. This is probably gonna be his last Olympics, so I am really rooting for him to get a Gold he so deserves.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/László_Cseh

I am always for the countries I am related to which is:

Russia
Germany
Austria
Poland
Ireland
England
and Scotland

I am never for the country I actually live in. Which is the U.S. I also hope India gets some medals as well. It will be so very awesome if my countries wins more medals than the U.S. Most especially Russia and Poland who I am always hugely for. Since I had always consider myself more Russian and Polish. Than the other 5 countries I am a part of.

Lastest. US won gold while China won silver and bronze.

Great first day for Hungary: two gold medals. One in fencing by Emese Szász and one by Katinka Hosszú in swimming (400 m medley) with a new world record.

First day highlights.

[video=youtube;GGrOkMOxSUc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGrOkMOxSUc[/video]

China, Japan and USA tied 1st with most medals so far and I found that Canada only won a bronze.

Here's the Top 20 Medal Count we have so far.

1. USA- 5 (Gold), 7 (Silver), 7 (Bronze)= 19
2. China- 5 (Gold), 3 (Silver), 5 (Bronze)= 13
3. Japan- 3 (Gold), 0 (Silver), 7 (Bronze)= 10
4. Russia- 2 (Gold), 5 (Silver), 3 (Bronze)= 10
5. Italy- 3 (Gold), 4 (Silver), 2 (Bronze)= 9
6. Australia- 4 (Gold), 0 (Silver), 3 (Bronze)= 7
7. South Korea- 2 (Gold), 2 (Silver), 1 (Bronze)= 5
8. Thailand- 2 (Gold), 1 (Silver), 1 (Bronze)= 4
9. Great Britain- 1 (Gold), 1 (Silver), 2 (Bronze)= 4
10. Canada- 0 (Gold), 1 (Silver), 3 (Bronze)= 4
11. Hungary- 3 (Gold), 0 (Silver), 0 (Bronze)= 3
12. Chinese Taipei- 1 (Gold), 0 (Silver), 2 (Bronze)= 3
13. Kazakhstan- 0 (Gold), 1 (Silver), 2 (Bronze)= 3
14. Brazil- 1 (Gold), 1 (Silver), 0 (Bronze)= 2
15. Sweden- 1 (Gold), 1 (Silver), 0 (Bronze)= 2
16. Belgium- 1 (Gold), 0 (Silver), 1 (Bronze)= 2
17. Indonesia- 0 (Gold), 2 (Silver), 0 (Bronze)= 2
18. New Zealand- 0 (Gold), 2 (Silver), 0 (Bronze)= 2
19. South Africa- 0 (Gold), 2 (Silver), 0 (Bronze)= 2
20. Ukraine- 0 (Gold), 1 (Silver), 1 (Bronze)= 2

Another bronze for Canada. Way ta go Meaghan Benfeito and Roseline Filion!

[YOUTUBE]uAIMsPRCUdc[/YOUTUBE]

I am for Russia and Ukraine.

With so much stress on Russian athletes I’m glad to see us on #4.

YES!!! FINALLY!!! Canada won their first Gold in Women's 100m Freestyle thanx to Penny Oleksiak tied Olympic record and winning gold with American Manuel Simone.

Last edited:
Looking forward to gymnastics tonight! Hopefully we can repeat yesterday's performance and win another gold medal :) It's my favourite discipline in the Olympics. Simone Biles has been incredible!

Edit: NOOOOO :eek:hno:

Epke+Zonderland+klapt+hard+tegen+de+mat.

I hope that's not a bad omen for things to come :worried:

Last edited:
^ And it was, we just lost the SF in hockey, beach volleybal and cycling (individual sprint) all in one night :(

Man, this Olympics has truly been a whirlwind of highs and lows so far. This morning started out great with two gold medals (swimming and sailing) and our women's handball and volleyball team reaching the SF but now I'm feeling disappointed again :/ Hoping for better news tomorrow. We're still #7 in the medal table but that probably won't be for long :blush:

The US & UK have been killing it btw :bow: Congrats to my American and British friends here. Please don't be so greedy though, let the other athletes win every now and then :angel:

6 Gold (3 in swimming, 2 in fencing, 1 in kayak), 3 Silver, 4 Bronze for Hungary so far. Considering we are a small country with not so much money as Western countries, I think that's pretty great. We usually win around 6-8 Golds in the summer Olympics.

I really enjoyed the fencing competitions this Olympics. They were so exciting. It really is a great sport IMO. Yesterdays women's kayak double was very exciting as well as one of our girls was sick with some some stomach infection, so it was a pretty heroic fight from them.

I absolutely grew to hate wrestling though. One of our guys got cheated out of a Bronze medal in such an ugly way that it highlighted everything that was wrong with that sport today. He was the more active one, he was the only one doing action points, but one of the referees made his German opponent win with warnings for alleged "passivity". What kind of joke is that? I mean our guy was the only one doing action points and he gets the warnings for "passivity"? While it was his opponent who did nothing all through the match? WTF? I have no problem admitting when our people lose in a fair way, but it was anything but fair. It was cheating by the referee. Even the other referees seemed to disagree with him but he somehow pushed his agenda through. I also heard there were similar cheatings in boxing. I am not sure that sports that allow so much corruption going on have a place in the Olympics.

I love athletics, even though we have not much hope for medals there. Well, only in some fields competitions - we have a bronze in Women's shot put, last Olympics we won a Gold in men's hammer throwing, but we are not runners LOL. But I love to watch the track competitions nevertheless. The Marathon is the Queen of all sports as far as I am conerned.

Swimming final medal standings:

swimming.jpg

Fencing - final medal standings:

fencing.jpg

Last edited:
Canada's latest Gold medal won by Derek Drouin for Men's High Jump. Also Andre De Grasse and Usain Bolt will be at the Finals again this time for the 200m run which Bolt won his 3rd Gold medal while De Grasse won Bronze and made his personal best time in the 100m run.

Here's 100m

I've never been so frustrated watching my country at the Olympics as I am this year. God, all the wasted opportunities, bad luck, choking, underperforming, injuries, losing at the last minute. This about sums up our games:

ANP-47066885-720x474.jpg

xxl.jpg

Kimmann1164k-055da1cb7878d60464405b9ccdeac688-553e198f6dd3b8af4b90ecc01aaae6ef.jpg

xxl.jpg

^ The Netherlands are doing well, I think. 8 Gold, 6 Silver, 4 Bronze medals aren't bad for smaller countries.

We (Hungary) have 7-3-4 so far. I think we have a chance for one more today in kayak and that will be it for us. We usually have 7-8 Golds on average in a Summer Olympics, so this is about the standard performance for us.

^ The Netherlands are doing well, I think. 8 Gold, 6 Silver, 4 Bronze medals aren't bad for smaller countries.

I'm not talking about the medal table. What's frustrating is watching athletes that you know can do much better underperform due to pressure or injuries or exhaustion or bad luck or whatever. There are always some surprises at the Olympics but I don't think we've ever "lost" so many medals like this before. I wrote that post last night after the hockey final in which we completely dominated GB the entire game yet concede the equalising goal in the last few minutes and then inexplicably lose the shoot out by missing four times in a row. Earlier that day we had Laura Smulders in BMX who won her SF heats by finishing #2, #1 and #1 but then fell in the final and ended second last. Still earlier yesterday there was Dubbeldam in equestrian who had a perfect score over two rounds but finished the second round 0.02 seconds too late and missed out on the medals. You have the 4x100m women's relay team, which was considered a top favourite but didn't even qualify for the finals because another athlete stepped in their lane and messed up the relay. You have gymnast Epke Zonderland (2015 European and world champion and reigning Olympic champion) who had barely touched the bar when he fell flat on his face. You have the swimming team that fails to win a single medal in the pool for the first time since 1992. You have world champion Dafne Schippers who wins silver on the 200m when the whole country was desperately hoping (and kinda expecting) for her to bring home the gold. Sure, the final result 8-6-4 is not bad but it could have been so much better. I guess that's the perfectionist in me :cheeky:

Still there were some bright and even groundbreaking moments too. The first Dutch female gymnast to become individual Olympic champion. Our first medal in beach volleybal. Our first medal in boxing (gold or silver). Four team sports making it to the SF (men's hockey, women's hockey, women's handball, women's volleyball). Martina making it to the men's 200m sprint final for the third time in a row (only one besides Bolt) and missing bronze by 0.01 second. If you think about it, the amount of different sports we compete and medal in is quite amazing. Most smaller countries have one or two sports they excell in and rake in the medals that way.

We (Hungary) have 7-3-4 so far. I think we have a chance for one more today in kayak and that will be it for us. We usually have 7-8 Golds on average in a Summer Olympics, so this is about the standard performance for us.

Well you're not allowed to win any more golds because then you'll surpass us on the medal table :beee:

I've noticed that Hungary always does exceptionally well in the Summer Olympics. Winning 7-8 golds on average in incredible for such a small country. Why do you think that is? Is it the culture? Investments? Niche sports? Those Magyar genes? :pirate:

I'm glad that Finland has won at least one medal. Mira Potkonen won bronze in boxing.

Mexico wasn't doing that great but fortunately some athletes have won silver and bronze medals.

María Guadalupe González won a silver medal in race walking 20km. yesterday.

Germán Sánchez won a silver medal in diving in the 10 metre platform today.

And Misael Rodriguez won a bronze medal in the 75kg. boxing category on Thursday, I think.

Rosario Espinoza will be competing today to win the gold medal in taekwondo. Probably the only hope Mexico has to win gold.

Don't you just love when athletes choose Michael's music?

Ganna Rizatdinova (Ukraine) made her clubs routine yesterday in rhythmic gimnastics choosing They Don't Care About Us. It's the same routine.

What she actually wore yesterday. Very Michael-like.
385691322.jpg

I couldn't watch the finals but she won bronze in the all-around. Margarita Mamun won gold and Yana Kudryavtseva silver (Russia.)

Ganna Rizatdinova (Ukraine) made her clubs routine yesterday in rhythmic gimnastics choosing They Don't Care About Us. It's the same routine.

That was awesome :) I loved the music (instrumental remix) as well. It was perfect for the routine.

Congrats to Mexico on the medals by the way! Ending the games on a high note :) The final medal table (top 20) looks like this:

RankNOCGoldSilverBronzeTotal
22px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png
United States (USA)
22px-Flag_of_the_United_Kingdom.svg.png
Great Britain (GBR)
22px-Flag_of_the_People%27s_Republic_of_China.svg.png
China (CHN)
22px-Flag_of_Russia.svg.png
Russia (RUS)
22px-Flag_of_Germany.svg.png
Germany (GER)
22px-Flag_of_Japan.svg.png
Japan (JPN)
22px-Flag_of_France.svg.png
France (FRA)
22px-Flag_of_South_Korea.svg.png
South Korea (KOR)
22px-Flag_of_Italy.svg.png
Italy (ITA)
22px-Flag_of_Australia.svg.png
Australia (AUS)
22px-Flag_of_the_Netherlands.svg.png
Netherlands (NED)
22px-Flag_of_Hungary.svg.png
Hungary (HUN)
22px-Flag_of_Brazil.svg.png
Brazil (BRA)*
22px-Flag_of_Spain.svg.png
Spain (ESP)
22px-Flag_of_Kenya.svg.png
Kenya (KEN)
22px-Flag_of_Jamaica.svg.png
Jamaica (JAM)
22px-Flag_of_Croatia.svg.png
Croatia (CRO)
22px-Flag_of_Cuba.svg.png
Cuba (CUB)
22px-Flag_of_New_Zealand.svg.png
New Zealand (NZL)
22px-Flag_of_Canada.svg.png
Canada (CAN)
Some observations:

- Britain finished ahead of China at #2 :blink: Has that ever happened before? I guess they're still reaping the rewards from the enormous investments made for 2012 but wow, what an incredible achievement. 27 gold medals!
- Canada with 15 bronze medals and just 4 golds, damn. I thought we were the nation of missed opportunities (ten 4th place finishes! -_-) but Canada has us beat. Or maybe not since they at least got a medal for it, lol.
- Brazil at a respectable #13 with the best result in its history. Hopefully they will be able to build on this for the next Olympics like Britain has.
- Still surprised that major countries like Mexico, Turkey, India, Philippines and Bangladesh didn't win more than 1 gold medal or didn't win any gold at all. I also expected South America to do a bit better this year.

I’m very happy for Russia to be #4!

I can’t describe all the hate that was spread by media… I felt pressure by just supporting! That was not fun or entertaining at all.

There was no need to make it about politics, bulling and hate, IMO.

Still hoping things will be different for Russia Paralympics.

^And to think you hate only #1 track athletes still finish #4 just shows the power of Russian sport. I think it was unfair that they didn't allow certain Russian track athlees (non-doping) to partake

What she actually wore yesterday. Very Michael-like.
385691322.jpg

I couldn't watch the finals but she won bronze in the all-around. Margarita Mamun won gold and Yana Kudryavtseva silver (Russia.)

They kept playing Don't Stop Til' You Get Enough at the Olympic stadium during the track & Field.

The Egyptian synchronized swimming team also used David Garrett's cover version of Smooth Criminal and their bathing suits were inspired on this Michael's jacket but I can't find the video to share it.

jackson.jpg

Hungary and The Netherlands are in the top 10, WOW. Congratulations to all your athletes, I'm sure many of them worked their butts off to be in the Olympics.

I'd have loved the Mexican athletes to win more medals as well but besides the factors Linda mentioned previously add up the fact the institution in charge to support the athletes economically, providing the the uniforms, doctors, physiotherapists, etc,CONADE (National Commission for Physical Culture and Sport) didn't support in those ways to most of the people who went to represent the country. Probably for your countries' governments having good athletes is something important, a priority but not for Mexico's government. The guy who won the bronze medal in boxing went to the busses and asked people for money to pay the planes, hotel, food, etc because CONADE didn't support him. So, I think it's another factor why there weren't more medal for my country.

On a positive note, even though Rosario Espinoza lost her taekwondo combat, she's the woman who has won more Olympic medals, gold in Beijing, bronze in London and now silver in Rio. Also Mexican athletes won two historic medals, I mentioned María Guadalupe González winning silver in race walking (she's the first Mexican, Latin American to be in the Olympic podium in her sport.) And Ismael Hernández is the first athlete to win bronze in the modern pentathlon.

LindavG;4161645 said:
I'm not talking about the medal table. What's frustrating is watching athletes that you know can do much better underperform due to pressure or injuries or exhaustion or bad luck or whatever. There are always some surprises at the Olympics but I don't think we've ever "lost" so many medals like this before. I wrote that post last night after the hockey final in which we completely dominated GB the entire game yet concede the equalising goal in the last few minutes and then inexplicably lose the shoot out by missing four times in a row.

Trust me it is the same with everyone. You win some, you lose one. We had the same story at the women's waterpolo Bronze match. We were leading most of the match. Last second (no exaggeration, last second!) the Russians scored an equalizer then won the match on the penalty shoot-out.

We had some frustrating fights in wrestling and judo with very questionable referee interventions. One especially that I won't hesitate calling straight up deliberate cheating at a Bronze match. The wrestling competitions were marred with questionable referee decisions overall, anyway. So much so that I think the sports needs to be either totally reformed or thrown out of the Olympics altogether. It's a mockery of sports the way it is.

Same at a judo Bronze match where a referee gave a warning to our athlete 10 seconds before the end of the fight. That means he had no time left to react and his opponent won the match by that one warning. That was a very questionable decision because as a referee you just don't do that 10 seconds before end. It normally doesn't happen. Basically the referee gave himself the freedom to intervene and decide the result.

We weren't involved in those matches but I heard there were cheatings in boxing as well. Referee corruption must end.

Well you're not allowed to win any more golds because then you'll surpass us on the medal table :beee:

:beee:

I've noticed that Hungary always does exceptionally well in the Summer Olympics. Winning 7-8 golds on average in incredible for such a small country. Why do you think that is? Is it the culture? Investments? Niche sports? Those Magyar genes? :pirate:

Yes, the consistent good results at the Summer Olympics put as pretty high on the All Time Medal table.

medals.jpg

In turn our All Time medal count in winter olympics is a humble 0-2-4. All the medals won in figure skating. We have no big mountains and no big, consistent snow in winter.

The reason is, I think, tradition and and being very strong at certain sports. These 8 Golds come from three sports: swimming, fencing and canoeing. When you look at it those are our traditional strongholds as well.

sports.jpg

Some actually say it is not all rosy, because although those 8 Golds look nice but there seems to be a problem with the next line - like in many sports there aren't really upcoming young talents. Also 3 of those 8 Golds came through one swimmer (Katinka Hosszú) and also in canoing the same athlete, Danuta Kozák, was involved in all 3 of our Gold medals (women's K1 500, women's K2 500, women's K4 500) - although, of course in K2 and K4 she had partners. So the worry is that it is a very much focused on a couple of big talents and not really a result of being good at many sports or having many great athletes. We won 8 Gold medals in London as well but our medal collection came from a more varied spectrum of sports: besides our golden trio, fencing, swimming and canoeing also gymnastics (pommel horse), athletics (hammer throwing) and we had other medals in judo, wrestling, penthatlon.
These sports are also very traditional in Hungary.

I wish we would be better in some team sports. Handball was pretty good, the women won a silver in Sydney, but they did not make it to the Olympics now. Traditionally our strongest team sport is water polo, but we didn't win a medal this time. I like basketball and volleyball, but we suck at both. :p

Here is an interview with Katinka Hosszú on CNN.

[video=youtube;eMKYaGXf4Gk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMKYaGXf4Gk[/video]

My all time favourite swimmer is Krisztina Egerszegi. It was so amazing how at the age of 14 she won in Seoul in 1988. She was so much smaller than everyone else. LOL. She participated in three Olympics (1988, 1992, 1996) and altogether won 5 Gold medals, 1 Silver, 1 Bronze.

Here is her swimming in Seoul at the age of 14. She was one of the best backtrokers of all time. Her world record was only recently beaten. It was so amazing how this tiny little girl beat those huge East Germans.

[video=youtube;ynEa22k2qiQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynEa22k2qiQ[/video]

Last edited:
Back