Rihanna Will Receive the Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award at the 2016 MTV VMAs

ILoveHIStory

Proud Member
All that "Work" paid off!

MTV will recognize Rihanna at the 2016 VMAs by honoring her with the Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award. The accolade pays tribute to her decade-long impact on music, pop culture, fashion, film and philanthropy. In addition to being on hand to receive MTV's highest honor, Rihanna will perform live during the ceremony at New York City's Madison Square Garden.

The "This Is What You Came For" singer is no stranger to the VMA stage. She's a 2-time "Video of the Year" winner, and memorably opened the 2012 telecast with a performance of "Cockiness (Love It)" and "We Found Love" with help from A$AP Rocky and Calvin Harris.

With this latest Video Vanguard honor, Rihanna will follow in the footsteps of pop luminaries including Madonna, Britney Spears, Beyoncé, and – most recently – Kanye West. During last year's presentation, West took the moment to announce his 2020 campaign for President of the United States. Will Riri take her moment to reveal her role as his running mate? Fingers crossed.

The 2016 MTV Video Music Awards will air Sunday. August 28, at 9:00 p.m ET/PT.

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,21023915,00.html

rihanna-vanguard-600.jpg

She deserves it. :)

I also really like how MTV's highest honor is a reward named after MJ, and how almost every media outlet is calling it the Michael Jackson Video Vanguard award as it should be called. :D

Last edited:
ThatGrapeJuice (Sam) ?@thatgrapejuice 4 hours ago
Mess! Rihanna To Receive 'Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award' At #VMAs http://bit.ly/2b8mfi0

Truth be told, Rihanna makes for a great Pop star. But they are legit handing out these Vanguard Awards like free bus passes. #VMAs

Legit astounded at the lengths gone to to clean up the #ANTI era. Not sure if it's applaudable or deplorable :-/ #VMAs #ANTI

ThatGrapeJuice (Sam) ?@thatgrapejuice 3 hours ago
Michael Jackson stood for excellence. He possessed a talent + vision that was other-worldly. Can the same be said for Rih? Honestly? #VMAs

----------------------
I cannot remember have I seen any of Riri's video's, but heard some of her songs. This guy posts valid question. Are Riri's video's up for standard set by MJ?
What you guys think. I seen people here says Riri deserve it, does that mean her videos are so good that she deserves the award, or does she deserve it for being in the industry so long?

To anyone that's mad about this just remember that her getting this award DOES NOT, and I repeat DOES NOT mean that Rihanna (or anyone else that has or will get the award) is on or anywhere near the same level as Michael.
From what I know they HAVE to give someone this award every year.

Lastly, just think about the fact that any other fan base in existence would be honored to have an award named after their fave. :)

Yeah lets not turn this into what it turns to every year... Someone has to win, simple!! It's the video vanguard award that was around before Michael and they changed the name because he was the stamp of what 'MTV culture' s.. Has nothing to do with reaching an 'MJ' level, it' a lifetime achievement award for those who effect pop culture pretty much..

lets just hope they mention Michael Jackson vanguard award, I believe last years show did not mention his name once with the 'vanguard award'.. almost like they want his name to fade off of it.

lets just hope they mention Michael Jackson vanguard award, I believe last years show did not mention his name once with the 'vanguard award'.. almost like they want his name to fade off of it.

^^^^
This is all I really care about.
Luckily almost every media outlet is calling it the Michael Jackson video vanguard award, which is what it should be called.

^^They did that last year until the show itself tho. I've never seen a whole Rihanna vid. Just clips. Are they good?
It should go to whoever makes great videos and is an influence on pop culture.

Has it been a decade already? Man, time goes by so fast. I remember the first time I heard about her; I was visiting my cousins and they showed me a video of a "great new artist" called Rihanna. I think she was on a beach but I don't remember what the song was called. If it's a decade ago then she must have been extremely young because she's only in her mid-20s now right?

I'm not a fan of Rihanna but I wish her all the best :) It's not easy to stay at the top of the charts for a decade so that's already a major achievement.

I wonder, how does Rihanna feel about MJ? Has she said anything about him?

^^They did that last year until the show itself tho. I've never seen a whole Rihanna vid. Just clips. Are they good?
It should go to whoever makes great videos and is an influence on pop culture.

They're actually pretty good.

Thing is, it's not really about who's best because eventually the award will be given to people that don't really have good music videos simply based on the fact that the award is given away yearly without a chance of it being given to one artist twice.

Edit: Can someone who watches the awards show report back here with whether or not they call it the Michael Jackson video vanguard award when when Rihanna gets presented with it because I don't watch award shows (Michael isn't here anymore so I see no need too).

Last edited:
I also think that Rihanna should do this years Super Bowl halftime show.
There are rumors of Adele doing it, but she's just not fit for a half time show (how are you going to get turned up to her discography?), and I'm not here for the inevitable Whitney Houston comparisons that will come from it (Adele is amazing but she's no Whitney).

Last edited:
Every year we have the same thing going. This award is named after Michael in his honor for his contribution to the music videos world. It doesn't mean that every artist who gets the award is now in MJ standards. This is not "the next king of pop" award.

For me it's sad to say it but watching music videos these days is boring to me because they're pretty much went back to the days where there was music and just people dancing to it. It's very hard to find a music video that I find interesting.

That being said Rihanna has come a long way and I believe she deserves the acknowledgment. Good for her!

I wonder, how does Rihanna feel about MJ? Has she said anything about him?

She's a fan. She met him back in 2006 in Japan when Michael got that MTV award. Some time later she released "Don't Stop The Music" that samples "Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'". Back then she said something like "it's the closest thing to a duet" and that it was her dream to work with Michael. Then in 2012 she sampled MJ again with "Nobody's Business" which is a duet with Chris Brown that includes verses from "The Way You Make Me Feel".

Michael-Rihanna-michael-jackson-7647934-800-513_0.jpg

Fantasy - August 7, 2006 03:52 PM (GMT)
Here is a part of interwiev Rihanna gave for Sister2Sister magazine. She was talking about her meeting with Michael Jackson during MTV Japan Awards too...

Ericka: You were in Japan for a little bit and you spent some time with Michael Jackson. What happened? What's he like?
Rihanna: Oh, he's so kind! Very shy but very kind.

Ericka: Did you have an idea of what he might be like before you met him?
Rihanna: No, I had no idea. I had no idea. I was really, really nervous because I didn't know what to expect.

Ericka: So how did that happen? Did he just approach you or did you go and talk to him?
Rihanna: He sent a message to the guy who was taking me around in the arena. He was like, "I'd like to know her schedule 'cause I wanna meet her." And I was like, what? I started, like, freaking out and "Do I look good? Is my hair okay?" And then finally I met him and he's just so sweet.

Ericka: What did you talk about?
Rihanna: Honestly? We didn't talk about much but, honestly, I cannot even tell you what we talked about.

Ericka: [Laughs]
Rihanna: I was so star-struck that...I was speechless. I didn't know what to say.

How are Rihanna's videos vanguardists? It's more a popularity contest than honoring what the award stands for and by that I don't mean their videos have to be at Michael's level. He doesn't have peers.

Björk and Missy Elliot are more deserving of such award than any of these recent "winners" because their videos are indeed vanguardists.

Snow White luvs Peter Pan;4160525 said:
Björk and Missy Elliot are more deserving of such award than any of these recent "winners" because their videos are indeed vanguardists.

Can't say I don't agree with you about Missy.
She never gets the credit she deserves.

But hey, there's always the next time....

I miss the mtv award show last year so i hope they mention it this year.

Nice picture of Michael and Rihanna

Last edited:
Thing is, it's not really about who's best because eventually the award will be given to people that don't really have good music videos simply based on the fact that the award is given away yearly without a chance of it being given to one artist twice.

Basically! I think MJ fans also need to remember that it doesn't mean that said artists videos are as GOOD as Michael Jackson (in fact, the award wasn't originally named after Michael anyway, it was renamed to include him in 1991!).

"The Video Vanguard Award... is given to musicians who have made a profound effect on the MTV culture, honoring an artist's body of work." Whether you like their music or not, the past few winners of it (Rihanna, Kanye West, Beyonce, JT, Britney Spears) are amongst the biggest names in popular music this past decade or two and have consistently remained so.

I'm happy for Rihanna, I haven't see many of her videos either but she has some really great songs. She's definitely been a huge presence this past decade so good for her :D I like her video for Where Have You Been, it's always stuck with me :)

And TBH, it's nice to see Michael's name in the media as the name of an award!! Yay!

2016 MTV Video Music Awards:
Remove Michael Jackson's name from the Video Vanguard Award

Say what you want about the late Michael Jackson, but you can’t deny that the late entertainer knew how to transform his artistry into a great music video experience.
In fact, I’m actually doing the “King of Pop” a great disservice by referring to his visual work as “music videos.” Jackson chose to infamously refer to them as “short films,” and truth be told, they were definitely worthy of such a title. Clips for songs such as “Thriller,” “Bad,” “Black or White,” and my personal favorite, “Remember The Time” were unlike anything anyone had witnessed before on MTV — back when they used to play music videos, that is — or any other musically-themed channel. There’s a reason why his beloved fans treated each offering as a major event, and there will never another recording artist who will be able to emulate such a fervor over their video releases.

MTV seems to think differently, however.
Beginning at the 1991 MTV Video Music Awards, the network renamed their highest honor, the Lifetime Achievement Award, the Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award. The move made sense at the time considering anyone eligible for a Moon Man was more or less trying, and failing, to best Michael’s expertise of the promotional asset. Only two have come close in my opinion: Madonna, who won it back in 1986, before its renaming, and Michael’s sister, Janet, in 1990.

Since that time, the Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award has sporadically popped up at the ceremony, with the longest break being between 2006 and 2011, and it has occasionally even reverted back to its Lifetime Achievement title (such as in 1994, when Tom Petty and The Rolling Stones were dual recipients). It has also continuously been given to artists who are far less deserving of what the channel itself defined as being worthy of such a coveted accolade.

Breathe Heavy writes, “The [Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award] is presented to musicians who have made a profound effect on the MTV culture and honors their body of work. Past recipients of the Vanguard Award include Michael and Janet Jackson, Madonna, Britney Spears, Justin Timberlake, Beyoncé, and most recently, Kanye West.”

Now, one could easily argue that just as with popular music, the scope of MTV has never been stagnant, therefore, the artists that they honor will occasionally be far less influential or monumental than Jackson was. And yes, there is a point there. However, there are other artists who are extremely worthy of receiving the honor than the ones who do ultimately get their hands on one.

One such person would be rapper Missy Elliott, an artist who has always brought a great deal of originality to her music videos. Her most recent offering, 2015’s “WTF (Where They From),” directed by Hype Williams — another past Vanguard recipient — was proof positive that despite the fact that she had not released one for nearly seven years at that time, she was still just as ahead of the loop as she was in classic clips such as “Work It” and “Get Ur Freak On.”
The fact that Elliott has yet to even be thought of as a recipient of the Michael Jackson Vanguard Award is beyond ridiculous, especially as she would have definitely had the blessing of not just Michael, who had hoped to work with her before his passing, but repeated collaborator, past honoree, and close friend Janet, too.

So, who is picking up the accolade this year? Well, according to Billboard, it’s Rihanna, and that’s even more ridiculous, if I’m being honest. Albeit talented in her own right, the collection of the “Work” entertainer’s music videos have never been really remarkable. There have been flashes of greatness, sure, such as with the dark “We Found Love” and the Eminem-led “Love The Way You Lie” (which, technically, isn’t her song), but let’s not forget about the banality of “Rude Boy” or the simplistic “Stay,” where she just sat in a bathtub and cried for four minutes.

It’s not just her I have a problem with, though. To expand my point, think about this: Where does someone see Kanye West simulating sex with Kim Kardashian on a motorcycle (“Bound 2“) and think “This is right up there with Michael’s two videos for ‘They Don’t Care About Us'”? Also, as much as I am a fan of Britney Spears, not one of the videos she released after 2007 could hold an ember to something like Jackson’s “You Are Not Alone,” and all he did in that one was sing on a stage and lay half-naked next to Lisa Marie Presley! It was still groundbreaking, though.

And please, don’t get me started on Justin Timberlake’s win in 2013. You don’t want me going down that road, trust me.
The point is, we remember Michael Jackson’s short films as a piece of his legacy that still live on to this day, more than seven years after his death. When it comes to everyone else who has picked up the achievement, however, there’s nothing about those videos that anyone outside of their respective fan bases will recall years down the line, and it’s unfair to have those kind of lackluster mentions attached to a man who put his heart and soul into every frame of film that was recorded of him. MTV, put some respect on his name and legacy and remove it from the Video Vanguard Award. None of these newer artists are deserving of such an association.

Read more at http://www.inquisitr.com/3408015/michael-jackson-video-vanguard-mtv-vmas/#vooSgeUs0hhSedSo.99

Bubs;4160573 said:
2016 MTV Video Music Awards:
Remove Michael Jackson's name from the Video Vanguard Award

Say what you want about the late Michael Jackson, but you can’t deny that the late entertainer knew how to transform his artistry into a great music video experience.
In fact, I’m actually doing the “King of Pop” a great disservice by referring to his visual work as “music videos.” Jackson chose to infamously refer to them as “short films,” and truth be told, they were definitely worthy of such a title. Clips for songs such as “Thriller,” “Bad,” “Black or White,” and my personal favorite, “Remember The Time” were unlike anything anyone had witnessed before on MTV — back when they used to play music videos, that is — or any other musically-themed channel. There’s a reason why his beloved fans treated each offering as a major event, and there will never another recording artist who will be able to emulate such a fervor over their video releases.

MTV seems to think differently, however.
Beginning at the 1991 MTV Video Music Awards, the network renamed their highest honor, the Lifetime Achievement Award, the Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award. The move made sense at the time considering anyone eligible for a Moon Man was more or less trying, and failing, to best Michael’s expertise of the promotional asset. Only two have come close in my opinion: Madonna, who won it back in 1986, before its renaming, and Michael’s sister, Janet, in 1990.

Since that time, the Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award has sporadically popped up at the ceremony, with the longest break being between 2006 and 2011, and it has occasionally even reverted back to its Lifetime Achievement title (such as in 1994, when Tom Petty and The Rolling Stones were dual recipients). It has also continuously been given to artists who are far less deserving of what the channel itself defined as being worthy of such a coveted accolade.

Breathe Heavy writes, “The [Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award] is presented to musicians who have made a profound effect on the MTV culture and honors their body of work. Past recipients of the Vanguard Award include Michael and Janet Jackson, Madonna, Britney Spears, Justin Timberlake, Beyoncé, and most recently, Kanye West.”

Now, one could easily argue that just as with popular music, the scope of MTV has never been stagnant, therefore, the artists that they honor will occasionally be far less influential or monumental than Jackson was. And yes, there is a point there. However, there are other artists who are extremely worthy of receiving the honor than the ones who do ultimately get their hands on one.

One such person would be rapper Missy Elliott, an artist who has always brought a great deal of originality to her music videos. Her most recent offering, 2015’s “WTF (Where They From),” directed by Hype Williams — another past Vanguard recipient — was proof positive that despite the fact that she had not released one for nearly seven years at that time, she was still just as ahead of the loop as she was in classic clips such as “Work It” and “Get Ur Freak On.”
The fact that Elliott has yet to even be thought of as a recipient of the Michael Jackson Vanguard Award is beyond ridiculous, especially as she would have definitely had the blessing of not just Michael, who had hoped to work with her before his passing, but repeated collaborator, past honoree, and close friend Janet, too.

So, who is picking up the accolade this year? Well, according to Billboard, it’s Rihanna, and that’s even more ridiculous, if I’m being honest. Albeit talented in her own right, the collection of the “Work” entertainer’s music videos have never been really remarkable. There have been flashes of greatness, sure, such as with the dark “We Found Love” and the Eminem-led “Love The Way You Lie” (which, technically, isn’t her song), but let’s not forget about the banality of “Rude Boy” or the simplistic “Stay,” where she just sat in a bathtub and cried for four minutes.

It’s not just her I have a problem with, though. To expand my point, think about this: Where does someone see Kanye West simulating sex with Kim Kardashian on a motorcycle (“Bound 2“) and think “This is right up there with Michael’s two videos for ‘They Don’t Care About Us'”? Also, as much as I am a fan of Britney Spears, not one of the videos she released after 2007 could hold an ember to something like Jackson’s “You Are Not Alone,” and all he did in that one was sing on a stage and lay half-naked next to Lisa Marie Presley! It was still groundbreaking, though.

And please, don’t get me started on Justin Timberlake’s win in 2013. You don’t want me going down that road, trust me.
The point is, we remember Michael Jackson’s short films as a piece of his legacy that still live on to this day, more than seven years after his death. When it comes to everyone else who has picked up the achievement, however, there’s nothing about those videos that anyone outside of their respective fan bases will recall years down the line, and it’s unfair to have those kind of lackluster mentions attached to a man who put his heart and soul into every frame of film that was recorded of him. MTV, put some respect on his name and legacy and remove it from the Video Vanguard Award. None of these newer artists are deserving of such an association.

Read more at http://www.inquisitr.com/3408015/michael-jackson-video-vanguard-mtv-vmas/#vooSgeUs0hhSedSo.99

Whoever wrote that is such a pretentious idiot.
Don't they realize that it's GOOD thing for Michael's named to be linked with the highest honor that the award show can give out.

At the end of the day its not like the "old days" there are no real legends anymore so giving out such awards to whoever is always going to be seen as a come down.especially in the relm of music videos as no one ever touched mj and how he changed things.

Personally it bothers me more ,well not bothers but its fake how after stopping using mjs name before the award they suck up again after 09.

Whoever wrote that is such a pretentious idiot.
Don't they realize that it's GOOD thing for Michael's named to be linked with the highest honor that the award show can give out.

You missed the whole point he made.
First of all, he is not fan like we are and love to see Michael's name associated with award.
Secondly, the whole article was compliment to Michael.

Look, I have nothing against Riri winning this award or Kanye, Britney winning it in the past, and next year probably Justin Bieber:)

That article I posted today, and tweets yesterday was hit and miss with some people:doh:
Recently we have got only crappy articles of MJ, but now we get something where people talk about Michael body of work with highest regards.
People took it as I'm against anyone winning MJ award, or being better than MJ. It is not that. I love to read that there are still journalist that regards MJ as the best, and his name should not be in the award that is given to someone who (according to them) doesn't deserve it.

You missed the whole point he made.
First of all, he is not fan like we are and love to see Michael's name associated with award.
Secondly, the whole article was compliment to Michael.

Look, I have nothing against Riri winning this award or Kanye, Britney winning it in the past, and next year probably Justin Bieber:)

That article I posted today, and tweets yesterday was hit and miss with some people:doh:
Recently we have got only crappy articles of MJ, but now we get something where people talk about Michael body of work with highest regards.
People took it as I'm against anyone winning MJ award, or being better than MJ. It is not that. I love to read that there are still journalist that regards MJ as the best, and his name should not be in the award that is given to someone who (according to them) doesn't deserve it.

I actually saw that article long before you posted it here, so trust me I didn't miss any point, and I did thoroughly enjoy the MJ praise in the article and in the tweets you posted, but I still think that the person that wrote the article is idiotic and pretentious for not wanting MJ's name connected to an award that is also a high honor.

I also wouldn't care if you didn't think anyone is/was better then MJ because that's how I feel, so I would actually agree with you (If you look at the big records Michael holds along with his impact AND talent no other solo artist in the history of modern music can hold a candle to him, and when I say modern I mean omitting people like Mozart, Beethoven, Bach, etc).

I as an MJ fan feel as though MJ doesn't get half the mainstream praise he deserves, so I love any article that praises Michael without backhanded compliments. :)

Last edited:
So now people are campaigning for MJ's name to be removed from the award and they think they do a great service to MJ with that? :doh:

Like several people said before this award is not an award to say that anyone is on MJ's level, so fans should be a bit less uptight about this. I am no fan of Rihanna, her music never did anything to me, but she is one of the top stars of today, if not not THE top star. I don't have a problem with her getting an award with MJ's name on it. It's just that. It doesn't do anything to MJ or his career or his reputation as an artist. But every year we have this (over)reaction regarding this award.

I am not even sure if it is actually really still called MJ award. MTV is always kind of back and forth and wishy-washy about it. I think when Beyonce got it they never mentioned MJ's name, for example.

Last edited:
So now people are campaigning for MJ's name to be removed from the award and they think they do a great service to MJ with that? :doh:

Like several people said before this award is not an award to say that anyone is on MJ's level, so fans should be a bit less uptight about this. I am no fan of Rihanna, her music never did anything to me, but she is one of the top stars of today, if not not THE top star. I don't have a problem with her getting an award with MJ's name on it. It's just that. It doesn't do anything to MJ or his career or his reputation as an artist. But every year we have this (over)reaction regarding this award.

^^^^
I cosign all of this.

There are other fanbases out there that would probably piss themselves if an award was named after there fave. :rofl:

I am not even sure if it is actually really still called MJ award. MTV is always kind of back and forth and wishy-washy about it. I think when Beyonce got it they never mentioned MJ's name, for example.

There are so many calls for boycotts and complains about tributes. Some people in the MJ fandom don't realize the harm in what they do.

I wondered the same thing, but then MTV's official Twitter account called it the Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award in a tweet.
Here's the tweet. https://mobile.twitter.com/MTV/status/763767001743495169

I hope they call it that when Rihanna is presented with the award though....

Back