MJ's "Victory" Tour Outfits Part of an Inaugural Exhibition at the African American History Museum

CherubimII

Proud Member
Michael Jackson's Costumes Show Why Nobody Can Beat the King of Pop When it Comes to Style

image: http://thumbs.media.smithsonianmag....8/michaeljacksonweb.jpg__800x600_q85_crop.jpg

<figure class="article-image" style="box-sizing: border-box; margin: 0px auto 1.5em; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: &quot;Open Sans&quot;, sans-serif; font-size: 16px;">
michaeljacksonweb.jpg__800x600_q85_crop.jpg
</figure>[FONT=&amp]

Read more: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smith...s-curtain-call-180958922/#XgF7wFpL4u5ZCMel.99

By Katie Nodjimbadem
smithsonian.com
<time class="pub-date" itemprop="published" style="box-sizing: border-box;">August 29, 2016 11:02AM

In his autobiography Moonwalk, Jackson wrote, “my attitude is if fashion says it’s forbidden, I’m going to do it.” Now some of Jackson’s rebellious pieces—a black sequined silk jacket, an equally-sequined red, white and blue shirt, and his signature fedora—are part of the collections at the National Museum of African American History and Culture and will be on view in the museum's inaugural exhibition "Musical Crossroads." The show is chockablock with iconic treasures tracing musical traditions and genres from gospel to rock 'n' roll to hip-hop.
“I think of Michael Jackson as kind of a sophisticated yet glamorous and otherworldly persona when he put on these clothes,” says Dwandalyn Reece, a curator of music at the museum who organized the exhibition. “That’s the Michael Jackson of that period. Obviously he morphed into different images since the Thriller heyday. But his clothes were really about him projecting who he was and who he likes to see himself as.”
His undeniable electric stage presence, which sent fans into screaming fits, was only amplified by his sharp and shining stage style. The sequined jacket is the design of Bill Whitten, the designer also responsible for Michael Jackson’s famous white glove. The two sparkly shirts and the fedora will be on display in the “Beyond Category” section of the exhibition, sharing the limelight with artifacts from Quincy Jones, Ray Charles and Nina Simone and other groundbreaking artists.

Read more: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smith...s-curtain-call-180958922/#XgF7wFpL4u5ZCMel.99
Give the gift of Smithsonian magazine for only $12! http://bit.ly/1cGUiGv
Follow us: @SmithsonianMag on Twitter

2010233001mjweb.jpg__800x450_q85_crop_upscale.jpg

2009422001mjweb.jpg__800x450_q85_crop_upscale.jpg

</time>

[/FONT]

Re: MJ's "Victory" Tour Outfits Part of an Inaugural Exhibition at the African American History Muse

Loved this article and love the fact that these are at the Smithsonian. Does the Estate own these? Hope so.

Re: MJ's "Victory" Tour Outfits Part of an Inaugural Exhibition at the African American History Muse

This is a great recognition of MJ and the undeniable mark he left on this world.
He surely had his own unique, eye-catching style.

I see that the article was published on his birthday too. Cool!

Thank you Cherubim for posting the story. :)

This is a great recognition of MJ and the undeniable mark he left on this world.
He surely had his own unique, eye-catching style.

I see that the article was published on his birthday too. Cool!

Thank you Cherubim for posting the story. :)
You are welcome. :girl_sigh:

How bout we make an MJ museum with these type outfits in my house!

Mj really does need a museum. It can be call the Michael Jackson Museum.

Mj really does need a museum. It can be call the Michael Jackson Museum.

There's an entire thread I made about a museum for Michael. :yes:
My idea is to call it The Michael Jackson HIStory Museum. :D

Just read this on Facebook. CBS Sunday morning is going to have a segment tomorrow morning about this Smithsonian exhibit-not sure if they will show Michael's stuff or not. But it's a great show-full of good human interest stories of all types and I've loved the show for years. Tune if you can.

(on another note, they're going to interview Wendy Williams tomorrow. Hmmm).

Maybe it´s okay that it is the Smithonian. ???
But to see Michaels clothes without him every time made and makes me totally sad. For me it would be unbearable to visit a´museum´ with his empty hats, shoes, shirts, jackets, the paintings from his home, his private stuff from there..................:no:

After years of planning and construction, the Smithsonian National Museum of African American History and Culture opens its doors on September 24. The new building is home to a massive collection of artifacts showcasing four centuries of African-American life in the United States. Several celebrities, including music legend Quincy Jones, contributed personal treasures to the museum. He gave correspondent Lee Cowan a sneak preview of the new building and its historic collection.

^^Thought this was really wonderful and so glad Q is part of the ceremonies. Amazing to see Sammy Davis's little tap shoes, among other things. This is a really big deal and I'm proud Michael's victory costume is part of it.
I'd love to go there.

Very nice exhibition, I wish I would be able to see it!

Right where it belongs! Happy to hear about this

Is there anything of mjs in the actual museum.

Thanks. Thought there would be more.pretty slack for the most famous AA of them all

According to a Smithsonian video I've seen, Michael's Victory tour costume was purchased. Surprised it was not donated to the museum....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2UEqy69OUY

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/V2UEqy69OUY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Here's a description of other musical items, including others from the Jackson family:

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smith...utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=socialmedia

The New Exhibition on Black Music Could Give Other Museums a Run for Their Money

The collections in the show "Musical Crossroads" at the African American History Museum are near encyclopedic in their scope

Music is so much a part of black America, it pops up all over the vast new National Museum of African American History and Culture. From Harriet Tubman’s modest hymnal of spirituals to Sly Stone’s signed Fender Rhodes keyboard and Public Enemy’s boom box that helps close the 20th-century cultural history, there’s no separating the importance of music from the history on hand.

But when one arrives at the entry to the fourth floor “Musical Crossroads” exhibition, heralded by the sparkly red finish on Chuck Berry’s Cadillac, the futuristic fantasy of the Parliament-Funkadelic mothership replica, and Michael Jackson’s Victory Tour fedora, it is as if entering its own inclusive African-American Music History Museum.

And inclusive it is—with displays on African music imported by the enslaved to this country, devotional music that helped bind black communities against all odds, gospel, minstrel music, ragtime, jazz, blues, rhythm & blues, rock ’n’ roll, hip-hop and EDM. Yes, and some country stars of color as well.

One of the challenges of opening the Smithsonian’s newest major museum was acquiring its contents from scratch. Sure, the nearby National Museum of American History already had a lot of artifacts, from Scott Joplin sheet music to Dizzy Gillespie’s B-flat trumpet.

But it was important not to raid other museums; those artifacts were part of the American story.
It was up to Musical Crossroads curator Dwandalyn Reece to amass the objects that would fill the 6,200 square foot space.
Other American music museums had a significant head start on major artifacts—from Cleveland’s Rock & Roll Hall of Fame to the Experience Music Project in Seattle. And that’s not to mention all of the historical items in all of the Hard Rock Cafes around the world.

In the more than 20 years since she started her career, Reece says, “the whole concept of music as memorabilia has flourished.”
Still, there was something about the prestige of the Smithsonian that convinced many to donate cherished and long-held heirlooms that were not previously seen or available.

One of the most impressive things about the museum is that relics like Little Richard’s flashy jacket or Chuck Berry’s car, were donated directly from the artists themselves. Others, like Bo Diddley’s signature square guitar and porkpie hat, were given by their estates.

Some families donated items that were not previously known to have existed at all, such as the ensemble that the celebrated opera singer Marian Anderson wore as she sang on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial in 1939. The historic concert before a crowd of more than 75,000 people and millions more on radio had been organized with the help of First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt after the Daughters of the American Revolution refused to allow Anderson to sing to an integrated audience at its Constitution Hall.
“That’s a tremendous event in the history of the United States and in music,” Reece says. Her outfit that day “would have been a wished-for item if I’d known it existed. But I didn’t know it existed.”

While researching another object however, she says, “we were put in contact with the family and they let us know that they still had the outfit and they were willing to donate it to the museum.”

Flashy as it is, the shiny red 1973 Cadillac Eldorado convertible at the Musical Crossroads entrance may not seem to have anything to do with Chuck Berry, other than simple ownership. He started pioneering Rock ’n’ Roll by mixing of country and R&B two decades earlier.
But, Reece says, “the car has its own symbolism.”
It was driven on stage for the big superstar tribute concert for Berry captured in the 1987 movie Hail! Hail! Rock ’n’ Roll.

“It’s more than just a shiny object that’s standing in the center of the museum,” she says. “It’s also a symbolic element of Chuck Berry’s own personal story and career, tied to his relationship, growing up in St. Louis, Missouri, and not being allowed to go to the Fox Theatre as a child, because of his race. And then you have this moment where he’s driving a car across the stage at this same theater 40 years later. Everything represented by that—the freedom and liberation and sense of achievement of an African-American man who is one of the architects of America’s greatest exports, Rock ’n’ Roll, and what that says about music from that standpoint. Where does music function as a tool of liberation and protest and individuality in American culture and African-American culture.”

A Chuck Berry guitar that he nicknamed “Maybellene” is also part of the display—one of more than a dozen or so guitars on display.
But there are other items tied to individual artists that helped define their place in music and the American imagination—from the wire rim glasses of Curtis Mayfield to the eyepatch of Slick Rick; from the cape (and signed shoes) of James Brown to the star-shaped guitar and outfit of Bootsy Collins. And there are the tiny tap shoes once worn by a 3-year-old Sammy Davis Jr.

One never knows what particular item will provide that instant connection to the artist it represents, but it can come in artifacts big and small—from the elaborate dresser kit of Lena Horne to the singular metal cigarette lighter of bluesman Josh White.
A 1946 Selmer trumpet played by Louis Armstrong represents that jazz great; Miles Davis’ legacy is marked by a stylish jacket he wore in the 1960s. The formidable dress of Ella Fitzgerald, and M.C. Hammer’s parachute pants are also under glass (as if to say, “Can’t Touch This”).

One ensemble does double duty—a costume from Lady Sings the Blues calls to mind the both singer who wore it, Diana Ross, and the character she portrayed, Billie Holiday, who is otherwise represented by an oversized acetate of a 1953 10-inch studio album, “An Evening with Billie Holiday.”

Along the way, there are artists represented who will likely be unfamiliar to wide audiences, from 19th century composer Francis Johnson to early prodigy Blind Tom Wiggins (whose flute is on display). Visitors will learn of both “sacred” steel guitar player Felton Williams and early ’70s Detroit punk band Death.

Some artists may seem shortchanged. Sam Cooke is represented by a contract signature; the Jackson 5 by Jermaine’s costume (with the Gary, Indiana, musician representing Detroit), Janet Jackson by a cassette of “Control.” Frankie Beverly’s cap is there, but there does not seem to be anything from Al Green.

Hundreds of albums are on display in a record store flip format, but the covers are affixed to durable materials and fastened to their crates so as to withstand the expected crush of visitors. “We didn’t want album covers all over the floor, or tossing them around,” Reece says.

One area will allow visitors to spend time to sit in a producer or engineer’s seat to create a track. Another interactive area shows the relationships of songs to regions and other genres.
ctd....

This entire museum sounds unbelievable. I hope they film a really great detailed special for tv for all who can't see it.

Nice to see that abc news selected MJ's fedora as one of the museum's top 10 'must see' items in the 'artifacts spotlight' at the link below:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/artifacts-...istory-culture/story?id=42262180&cid=abcn_tco

There is a list of major 'Founding donors' (giving over $1m) here, for interest:
https://nmaahc.si.edu/about/founding-donors

This link is for membership and for donations:
https://nmaahc.si.edu/connect/give

Last edited:

Really really amazing. Story about Marian Anderson's dress when she sang at the Lincoln memorial sent chills. And Sammy's 3 year old tap shoes?
It take a week to get thru the entertainment section alone.

barbee0715;4167997 said:
Really really amazing. Story about Marian Anderson's dress when she sang at the Lincoln memorial sent chills. And Sammy's 3 year old tap shoes?
It take a week to get thru the entertainment section alone.

Did you see on the museum website that you can look at more items from the Menu> Explore> Collection..

https://nmaahc.si.edu/explore/collection

Here are the 'expanded details' of Michael's Victory Tour Jacket from a search in the collection. (Scroll down the page to about the 18th photo for the jacket. )

Credit Line: Collection of the Smithsonian National Museum of African American History and Culture
Medium: silk (fiber) and sequin
Dimensions: H x W (Laid Flat, Arms Folded): 25 9/16 × 20 1/2 in. (65 × 52 cm)Shoulder Width: 20 1/16 in. (51 cm)Sleeve Length: 24 in. (61 cm)

https://nmaahc.si.edu/explore/collection/search?edan_q=*:*&edan_local=1&edan_fq[]=topic:"Music"

I don't know if the item (object) numbers relate to the year of acquisition. If they do, the fedora was acquired in 2009 (2009.42.2) and the jacket in 2011. (2011.19)

Searching for 'Jackson 5' (using the 'name' search), I found some early colour photos of them here:

https://nmaahc.si.edu/explore/collection/search?edan_q=jackson+5&edan_local=1&op=Search

Chromogenic print of The Jackson 5 standing in a yard

Created by: Unidentified
Subject of: The Jackson 5, American, 1964 - 1975 Joe Jackson, American, born 1928 DateJuly 1972

Also: SM Jackson with his great-nephews, July 1972 (pictured below)

http://[URL=https://imageshack.com/i/pnPyU4cCj][/URL]

Apparently staff from Google are working on an interactive way of accessing 3-d details about the other 90% of the collection which is not already on display. I don't know if the interactive display is planned only for the museum, or also online...hopefully the latter.

Last edited:

The museum looks amazing. Hopefully they'll get more of Michael's items to display.

Did you see on the museum website that you can look at more items from the Menu> Explore> Collection..

https://nmaahc.si.edu/explore/collection
Oh wow. Thank you so much. This is what I've been looking for. Can't wait to get to a PC tonight.
Watched CSpan all day yesterday hoping they'd repeat the ceremony and give us a tour.

Oh wow. Thank you so much. This is what I've been looking for. Can't wait to get to a PC tonight.
Watched CSpan all day yesterday hoping they'd repeat the ceremony and give us a tour.

I've been watching highlights from the dedication ceremony (including Stevie Wonder and Patti LaBelle) here:

https://nmaahc.si.edu/dedication-highlights

This looks wonderful! There is some awesome items there.

And maybe as time goes on, there will be more items put on display or maybe rotated with different items. WTG!! :clapping:

#African American History.

Yeah, like his loafers or sequined glove.

Oh god. I suddenly got a wave of overwhelming sadness. :(
Sorry guys.

Seeing his empty Jacket and hat lowkey made me sad too. :(
It's just like, damn, he's gone and he's never coming back.:cry:

Back