Ghost in the Shell (2017 Live Action Film)

Victory2004

Proud Member
Official Movie Logo
RoPcYzeU.jpg
5 Different Short Promos

I like the visual style. I don't really watch anime so I don't know anything about this but now I'm interested.

SMH.
Like they couldn't cast an Asian woman instead of Scarlett Johansson.
I won't be funding this mess in any way, shape, or form.

Thanks for keeping tabs on movies Victory2004. :)

Then I think you should watch this before you choose to write the film off.
Nah.
Asians in leading roles in big blockbuster films seem to be darn near nonexistent in America, and I'm sure that Scarlett Johansson isn't hurting for work.
It just seems like whoever casted this movie went out of the way to not cast an Asian as what (If I can remember Ghost in the Shell's plot) will be the main character.

Last edited:
Nah.
Asians in leading roles in big blockbuster films seem to be darn near nonexistent in America, and I'm sure that Scarlett Johansson isn't hurting for work.
It just seems like whoever casted this movie went out of the way to not cast an Asian as what (If I can remember Ghost in the Shell's plot) will be the main character.
You should watch the video. Sometimes ppl tend to jump the gun when it comes to white washing. They certainly did when Tom cruise did THE LAST SAMURAI.

Here are YouTube Movie Reviewer Chris Stuckmann's thoughts on the past animated GHOST IN THE SHELL films

Mamoru Oshii - who director of the original 1995 anime film has spoken out about the ‘whitewashing,’ saying there’s no real issue with the casting of Scarlett Johansson because the character is a cyborg."What issue could there possibly be with casting her?" Oshii told IGN. "The Major is a cyborg and her physical form is an entirely assumed one.

“The name 'Motoko Kusanagi' and her current body are not her original name and body, so there is no basis for saying that an Asian actress must portray her. Even if her original body (presuming such a thing existed) were a Japanese one, that would still apply.” Here's the article of his interview with IGN http://me.ign.com/en/movies/130894/news/original-ghost-in-the-shell-director-sees-political-motive-i

I saw this yesterday and I really liked it. It looked amazing and the world was well done. That was the best part but I like the plot too. Scarlett Johansson was great but near the end the fact that they didn't cast japaniese actor started bothering me. It felt wrong. They should have just chosen japaniese people for the main roles. I haven't seen the 1995 anime or read the comics so I can't compare this movie to those. I have to buy the anime on Blu-Ray at some point.

I saw this yesterday and I really liked it. It looked amazing and the world was well done. That was the best part but I like the plot too. Scarlett Johansson was great but near the end the fact that they didn't cast japanese actor started bothering me. It felt wrong. They should have just chosen japaniese people for the main roles. I haven't seen the 1995 anime or read the comics so I can't compare this movie to those. I have to buy the anime on Blu-ray at some point.
Did you read above you what the director of the 1995 anime film said? Plus look up a video of japanese people being asked about it clearly none of them having any issue. I'm also gonna leave these here
7dtattPw.jpg
X7sUge7p.jpg
24jEIhX1.jpg
1aVgYsLq.jpg

Did you read above you what the director of the 1995 anime film said? Plus look up a video of japanese people being asked about it clearly none of them having any issue. I'm also gonna leave these here
7dtattPw.jpg
X7sUge7p.jpg
24jEIhX1.jpg
1aVgYsLq.jpg
I can't see any images.

I just ordered the anime on Blu-Ray. Can't wait to watch it! :)

Back