Bashir gets job with the BBC

Tony R

Proud Member
yuck. I'm a big fan of the BBC but this decision is poor. I know unless you're an MJ fan, he technically did nothing wrong, but still.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-37474803

Martin Bashir appointed BBC religious affairs correspondent

Journalist Martin Bashir, famous for his interviews with Princess Diana and Michael Jackson, is rejoining the BBC as its religious affairs correspondent.
He takes over from Caroline Wyatt, who is stepping down after being diagnosed with multiple sclerosis.
Bashir, who last worked for the BBC in 2004, is also known for TV interviews with suspects in the murder of Stephen Lawrence.
He said he "cannot wait to get started" in the role.

As correspondent, he will cover events and provide analysis on issues affecting different faiths both in the UK and around the world.
BBC head of newsgathering Jonathan Munro said: "Martin's track record in enterprising journalism is well known and respected in the industry and amongst our audiences.

"As a student of theology, Martin will bring immense knowledge of the brief to his new role, and an enthusiasm to cover the broadest range of faith-based stories."
'Challenging and compelling'
Bashir said: "I am delighted to be rejoining the BBC at this time and in this subject area. The opportunity to cover the broad spectrum of religious affairs is challenging and compelling and I cannot wait to get started."

He first worked as a BBC news correspondent from 1987 to 1992, and then joined Panorama. He was there until 1999 and also presented BBC Radio 4's Sunday programme until 2004.

He worked for Tonight on ITV before moving to the US in 2004 to host ABC's Nightline programme. In 2010, he joined NBC News as an MSNBC anchor and a correspondent on NBC's Dateline programme.

He resigned from MSNBC in 2013 after making controversial remarks about former US vice-presidential candidate Sarah Palin.

It was during her 1995 interview with Bashir that Diana, Princess of Wales, admitted to having had an affair and also spoke of Prince Charles's relationship with the then Camilla Parker-Bowles.

"There were three of us in this marriage, so it was a bit crowded," she told Bashir on Panorama, in a programme watched by millions globally.

In 1999, he interviewed five men suspected of involvement in the murder of Stephen Lawrence.

In 2003 he also interviewed Michael Jackson for his controversial documentary, Living with Michael Jackson, which led to the pop star being charged with molesting one of the boys featured in the programme.

Jackson was later acquitted after being found not guilty of all charges, at the end of his four-month-long child abuse trial.

I know unless you're an MJ fan, he technically did nothing wrong, but still.

I wouldn't call unethical journalism "nothing wrong" and that regardless if someone is or isn't an MJ fan.

Respected? Royal family members have accused him of "killing" Diana, same as he "killed" Michael.
What happened to that inoperable brain tumor?

Religious affairs ? oh the irony. the devil looks after his own.Just saw this on the bbc news app.pretty hidden though. Disgusted. He has mjs blood on his hands. Putting mj aside he has a terrible rep after diana and getting sacked in the U.S. expect so much more from the BBC .they must be desperate. So glad we dont pay a licence fee anymore!

It was a non cancerous tumour

UiuOMYkRxG836.gif

I listen to the World Service every night. I better not hear his lame ass on there. :puke:

Remember NBC employed Gutierrez and Court TV employed Dimond.
The media had no ethics , morality or anything remotely resembling decency.
It's a monster which rewards scum.

It never occurs to them that if MJ had been a molester he would have never
let a Bashir or anyone into his life for months, ask any question,
tape him with kids in Neverland and he most certainly wouldn't have talked
openly about sharing his bed with kids!
No, they believe MJ thought hey I molest kids why not advertise to
the whole world that they sleep in my bed!
:doh:

Remember NBC employed Gutierrez and Court TV employed Dimond.
The media had no ethics , morality or anything remotely resembling decency.
It's a monster which rewards scum.

It never occurs to them that if MJ had been a molester he would have never
let a Bashir or anyone into his life for months, ask any question,
tape him with kids in Neverland and he most certainly wouldn't have talked
openly about sharing his bed with kids!
No, they believe MJ thought hey I molest kids why not advertise to
the whole world that they sleep in my bed!
:doh:

I wouldn't say the BBC has no ethics. It is still one of the best media sources out there, which is why this is especially disappointing :( At least he'll be the religious correspondent so he won't be able to manipulate celebrities in high-profile interviews anymore.

Thankfully theres very few reports on religious stuff on the news reports. I know they are short of money so prob got gim on the cheap but you expect so much more of the bbc.

write to the BBC and protest this unethical fool... can't stand him.

write to the BBC and protest this unethical fool... can't stand him.
Not that I like Sarah Palin, but he said something about defecating in her mouth here, that caused such a huge public outcry he was let go. Hopefully, the UK will protest him as well.

Not that I like Sarah Palin, but he said something about defecating in her mouth here, that caused such a huge public outcry he was let go. Hopefully, the UK will protest him as well.

hope so

It sucks that people like him get second chances to spread their venom etc.....that's yellow journalism for ya.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say the BBC has no ethics. It is still one of the best media sources out there, which is why this is especially disappointing :( At least he'll be the religious correspondent so he won't be able to manipulate celebrities in high-profile interviews anymore.

Surprised this myth still exists. Wolf in sheep's clothing perhaps.

They are as biased as the others and will use their tremendous influence to push their agenda.

As for Bashir, the single word I wish to use isn't very polite.

Him, Diane Diamond can be put on a rocket and sent to another planet! Or the sun....

- rejoining the BBC as its religious affairs correspondent.
- As a student of theology

WTF?

Also regarding the BBC they are known for biased reporting and have been rocked by numerous scandals i.e Saville etc

Surprised this myth still exists. Wolf in sheep's clothing perhaps.

They are as biased as the others and will use their tremendous influence to push their agenda.

As for Bashir, the single word I wish to use isn't very polite.
This is sad to read about the BBC. When I was a little girl, they gave us Masterpiece Theatre. I always think of that network as class, dignity, integrity, and elegance. :(

BBC biased or not, they're rewarding that scum bastard. He deserves to be jobless.

Speaking of not doing anything wrong legally. Isn't forgering Michael's signature "to prove there was a contract between them" something illegal?

I'd hire Bashir....

Bashir if you are interested I am looking to hire someone to run into my fist!

newswatch@bbc.co.uk

Walked out of the room while he was doing a segment on the bbc news .first one.above is the email for the bbc tv segment on the news channel that is about peoples comments and complaints about bbc shows. They read them out and discuss etc. Please send a quick email showing your contempt for him being given a job. "every little helps"

Back