J5 Live at The Forum

Tony R

Proud Member
Just getting myself back into this album and would implore any J5 fan to listen if you haven't got it already.

In fact even if you don't consider yourself a J5 fan, it's still a great insight into the performer Michael was to become. There are little glimpses of genius and magic that MJ was become known for.

For anyone who has ever argued that singing live doesn't matter, listen to this. Quite how this 11 year old kid could play with the melody & add those incredible ad-libs we love from his aduly work blows my mind.

As well as some great cover versions on there, there are the best versions ever of 'Who's Lovin You' with a stunning & hilarious intro, Never Can Say Goodbye (check out the breakdown at the end), Ain't No Sunshine (the intro!!!), and Ben.

Hi Tony, I just happened to come across this page by complete and utter accident..........................................................

I was listening to the 1970 show last night, and oh my god. I think I said in the other thread that I only ever really listened to songs here and there from this album (I think a lot of people can be guilty of this when it comes to Motown releases, they were a singles based organisation, Steve and Marvin aside.

Michael is on fire. Too many songs to single out. The band are on top of their game, but what strikes me most is Michaels ability to captivate the audience from the get go. Where did this confidence go? The most he could say for 90% of the HIStory tour was "I love youuuu!" and "Now I'm gonna give you....." etc. Michael was a master of the stage at this early age. The way he questions the guitar amp, talking about how the boys think they're so "coool" playing guitars, able to give a great shout out to Diana Ross who's in the crowd, his intro to Who's Lovin You. This was all clearly rehearsed, but it genuinely doesn't come across forced. It's delivered in only the way an effective showman can.

Don't Know Why I Love You and Thank You are as good as anything the Four Tops or the Tempts ever did live.

Hi Tony, I just happened to come across this page by complete and utter accident..........................................................

I was listening to the 1970 show last night, and oh my god. I think I said in the other thread that I only ever really listened to songs here and there from this album (I think a lot of people can be guilty of this when it comes to Motown releases, they were a singles based organisation, Steve and Marvin aside.

Michael is on fire. Too many songs to single out. The band are on top of their game, but what strikes me most is Michaels ability to captivate the audience from the get go. Where did this confidence go? The most he could say for 90% of the HIStory tour was "I love youuuu!" and "Now I'm gonna give you....." etc. Michael was a master of the stage at this early age. The way he questions the guitar amp, talking about how the boys think they're so "coool" playing guitars, able to give a great shout out to Diana Ross who's in the crowd, his intro to Who's Lovin You. This was all clearly rehearsed, but it genuinely doesn't come across forced. It's delivered in only the way an effective showman can.

Don't Know Why I Love You and Thank You are as good as anything the Four Tops or the Tempts ever did live.

Well, I can't say it any better than that.

Yeah I love the way there are songs on here we've all heard a million times but they all have new life breathed in, in the way a live performance should do.

Ben, Who's Loving You, The Love You Save, Ain't No Sunshine, Got To Be There...all perfect. Never Can Say Goodbye is so funked up at the end...

Well, I can't say it any better than that.

Yeah I love the way there are songs on here we've all heard a million times but they all have new life breathed in, in the way a live performance should do.

Ben, Who's Loving You, The Love You Save, Ain't No Sunshine, Got To Be There...all perfect. Never Can Say Goodbye is so funked up at the end...
I'm going to stick to the first disc for tonight again, and then get onto the 1972 show, so I'm going to look forward to that.

It's beyond me how easily I've let myself go by all these years not giving the Jackson 5 the attention they deserve. I now treat them as a separate entity to the Michael Jackson from 78 onwards. The Jackson 5 were just as important as The Supremes, Four Tops, Temptations, Miracles, with regards to musical output, connection with the audience, the longetivity, their stage presence, the talent.

I can't remember when I realised that I was able to separate "I listen to the Jackson 5 because its Michael Jackson" from "Holy god, the Jackson 5 are actually ACTUALLY amazing and I am annoyed I didnt experience them!"

I don't know them as well as others on here do. But what I do like, I like because it's great. Not just because it's MJ.

I'm a big Motown fan generally anyway.

Only issue with this album & Jacksons Live album is that it reminds me how much of this performer we lost in later years. The fun & exhuberance he emitted and the way the songs were played with was amazing. There's a performance from mid 70s of Michael singing 'One Day In Your Life' (surely one of the hardest songs ever to sing) and he literally forces the live band to follow him as he snakes his way through, it's mind-blowing.

Last edited:
The showmanship died. The last proper example we have of is is before the Motown Medley in the 81 shows.

This is a big shame. Their act, while staged, is still brilliant. I can also think of a perfomance, Mexico 75 maybe, where Michael speaks and introduces songs, talks about how he loves ballads and not ONCE seems shy. Then we get to 1997 and he can barely speak. I know this is an act in itself, but it's a shame that someone who could (at least appear) so confident during songs on stage, to literally being reduced to a phrase here and there.

Motown 25 he spoke with confidence before Billie Jean, and he proved he still had it in 95 at the VMA's. Why he didnt use this more often was beyond me. If he had connected on a more personal level with audiences later in his career, it would have given the live shows that extra few percent

At least the material he produced increased in quality in my opinion (up until Invincible of course!)

A graph showing Michael's quality of live shows overlayed with quality of material makes a nice big X on the chart.

I'm on the 1972 show now. Great so far, just in the middle of Jermaine's slot, but it's missing the magic and energy of the show from 1970. The set seems very disheveled so far? Still plenty to go though

Jermaine Jacksons bass playing is fan-bloody sublime... he absolutely nails Got To Be There, possibly my favourite bass of all time.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I was listening to the album just yesterday - great album. Only song I would have wished he had performed was My Girl.

I think the 72 show is great, great setlist but I think it suffers a bit with some of the sequencing of songs. It doesnt quite grasp the flow of the show in 1970.

Would it be safe to say things would go downhill from here? Never can say goodbye had been released so technically their last number one was out of the way.

Michaels voice was beginning to break, and still delivers the goods. He tries (and is mostly succesful) at hitting the notes he hit when he was 11 but manages around most of the straining with his perfect harmonies.

The "Jacksonmania" noises from the crowd arent as loud/Beatlemaniaesque as in 1970, but you can clearly hear they were still in demand.

To be honest, it sounds like in the space of 2 years, they lost an essence of impulse and spontaneity, because the scripted parts sound MORE scripted than 1970. Michael talks less, and actually sounds a little shyer. (He was changing and coming into a painful period of his life).

All in all, the first show has become one of my favourite live albums now. The set, the energy, the rawness, all perfect. The second show- while amazing- just doesnr reach the power of the first.

Honourable mention to the band on this one. Johnnys drumming is outstanding, and Titos* really improved in the 2nd show. But Jermaine* is just unbelievable. Ive overlooked him as a bassplayer for too long. Hearing him play Got To Be There just floored me. I expected a modification of the line to make it easier. Nope. Full blast. Brilliant.

*I think they are playing at least...

I LOVE this album. It's a close second, as far as live recordings of Michael, for me, to the Jacksons Live album. I especially enjoy the introduction to the concert, it sets the stage and really pushes the point home about how MONUMENTAL the Jackson 5 really were at their peak.

To the point of Michaels voice changing, I find it endearing and impressive, how he was able to push through those changes and still deliver a memorable performance. I became a Michael fan after being a Jackson 5 fan, so listening to music from this time period is second nature to me. However, for anyone who is on the fence- i agree that this is a good starting point.

I LOVE this album. It's a close second, as far as live recordings of Michael, for me, to the Jacksons Live album. I especially enjoy the introduction to the concert, it sets the stage and really pushes the point home about how MONUMENTAL the Jackson 5 really were at their peak.

To the point of Michaels voice changing, I find it endearing and impressive, how he was able to push through those changes and still deliver a memorable performance. I became a Michael fan after being a Jackson 5 fan, so listening to music from this time period is second nature to me. However, for anyone who is on the fence- i agree that this is a good starting point.
Great post! You are right about the intro, it really sets the tone for the time it was and what the atmosphere was like waiting for these lads. But what about the outro! The announcer having to shout at everyone to sit down! My favourite ending to a live album ever!

Michael handles his changing voice and challenging notes so well, like an absolute pro, to the point that the screeched note in Aint No Sunshine is one of the most true emotionally powerful things hes ever sung.

Its cool reading you were a J5 fan first, and I definitely agree that for anyone who isnt quite sure about the J5 as a legitimate power house of a group, this album proves that they were masters of their craft as early as 1970. The 1970 show is still blowing my mind. Its just a shame that Stand! didnt make the cut because of the sound issues.

Listening to the 1970 show now. Band are on fire. The excitement is palpable.

Listening to the 1970 show now. Band are on fire. The excitement is palpable.
Let us know what you think of the 72 show then. Absolutely obsessed with the 70s show so need a good discussion going.

Come on everyone!

You could start a whole new thread just on 'Who's Loving You'.

Possibly Michael's best ever vocal performance.

The spoken word intro is perfectly timed. Funny without being cheesy, and rehearsed whilst sounding ad-libbed.

'I GAVE HER MY COOKIES!'

Then bang, into that classic vocal intro.

"Orios, yeah...."

Have you heard the undubbed version from Goin Back To Indiana though? The jury is still out for me as to which is better. They are both better than the crazily dubbed version used in The American Dream. Sounds like how it would have sounded on Motown 25

It's been a few days since I've listened, but it's still playing away in my head. Dont Know Why, Thank You, Feelin Alright, Its Your Thing. Its bonkers how good a love act they were.

"Orios, yeah...."

Have you heard the undubbed version from Goin Back To Indiana though? The jury is still out for me as to which is better. They are both better than the crazily dubbed version used in The American Dream. Sounds like how it would have sounded on Motown 25

It's been a few days since I've listened, but it's still playing away in my head. Dont Know Why, Thank You, Feelin Alright, Its Your Thing. Its bonkers how good a love act they were.

YES!! I think Forum pips it. Because of the Oreo's mainly.

Like a little bit of Sly's Thanku4leetinbemicelfagin also (probably spelt wrong)

YES!! I think Forum pips it. Because of the Oreo's mainly.

Like a little bit of Sly's Thanku4leetinbemicelfagin also (probably spelt wrong)

Marlon Jackson!!! Get off the stage man!!! Are you a FOOL!??!!!! GET HIM JACKIE"

I'm on the verge of quitting my job to listen to this show now. I was listening to ABC last night, the album, which has only heightened how much I want to re-listen.

Marlon Jackson!!! Get off the stage man!!! Are you a FOOL!??!!!! GET HIM JACKIE"

There's one & I can't recall which one, where at the end he kicks ass with (I presume) the sound technician! It's hilarious bearing in mind he's 12 years old!

I think it;s the end of I Want You Back- Michael going spare about Jermaines amp?! He was right to! We were denied Stand because of it!!!

WHy wont anyone else talk about this!? Quickly, add INVINCIBLE IS VERY MEDIOCRE to the title Tony

Haha! My current favourite from the album is 'Never Can Say Goodbye', the ending is SOOOO funked up!!!

Mine is definitely "Dont Know Why I Love You". Being 100% honest, I forgot they did this tune... and it pisses all over the studio version.

I shockingly wasnt aware that Stephen Patrick Wonder was involved in its writing.

Can I just make the point that every MJ or J5 fan should own this album and the fact that only me and Nige post in this thread is as sad as the first ten minutes of Up.

Can I just make the point that every MJ or J5 fan should own this album and the fact that only me and Nige post in this thread is as sad as the first ten minutes of Up.
Ive nothing more to add, just quoting for effect.

I'll never hear, think of' The Forum' without thinking of much of Michaels last rehearsals!.. my mind goes right there

I'll never hear, think of' The Forum' without thinking of much of Michaels last rehearsals!.. my mind goes right there
For a minute there KOPV, I thought we had another party member...

That suddenly made this thread sad. The beginning and the end.

Marlon Jackson!!! Get off the stage man!!! Are you a FOOL!??!!!! GET HIM JACKIE".
when I first heard that, I laughed hard out loud. Especially when you think how they "reinacted" that when Marlon gets possessed and starts doing body rolls in the Victory Tour.

That suddenly made this thread sad. The beginning and the end.

when I first heard that, I laughed hard out loud. Especially when you think how they "reinacted" that when Marlon gets possessed and starts doing body rolls in the Victory Tour.
Thats what I love about it, I straight away think of 84. I love how they at least made some light nods to their roots in the bigger shows later. Aside from the medley.

Sorry guys, I should have kept it to myself.. It's just so engrained in my mind since it plays a huge part of my personal MJ journey, meeting him and hearing the rehearsal there...

I'll join the party though!! lets dance

Back